Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 31st July 2019, 19:57   #3221  |  Link
Mike-uk

ah hmm, something seems to be broken with my system , so i swaped out media info for the 18.5 and now it displays no media info, ive uninstalled and reinstalled avstodvd and still the same

see attached photo

Name:  avs.JPG
Views: 1827
Size:  20.9 KB
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2019, 21:15   #3222  |  Link
manolito

First of all do not attach pictures directly in this forum, it can take forever until a moderator approves them. Use a hosting service like postimg.cc instead.

Did you really replace "Mediainfo.dll" in the "Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\Lib" folder with the extracted version from my upload? Or did you just copy the uploaded ZIP file?
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2019, 22:32   #3223  |  Link
Mike-uk

no i extracted the mediainfo.dll to the lib folder, although just noticed a strange thing within avstodvd in the operations window its saying mediainfo v19.07 initialized ??

but in avstodvd prefrences and under software it clearly says it has found version 18.5.0.0

Last edited by Mike-uk; 31st July 2019 at 22:41.
Old 31st July 2019, 23:01   #3224  |  Link
manolito

All MediaInfo versions after 18.5 are NOT compatible with AVStoDVD. Looks like you have version 19.07 installed somewhere else on your computer, and this folder where the newer version is located is in your environment "Path" variable.
Old 31st July 2019, 23:23   #3225  |  Link
Mike-uk

yes i unfortunately installed 19.07, but have uninstalled mediainfo and avstodvd reinstalled avstodvd and still the same, avstodvd is set to the correct path to mediainfo.dll and reports 18.5 but when avstodvd reads a file it seems its still seeing 19.07 ?? not sure whats happened , looks like i need to reinstall windows
Old 1st August 2019, 00:47   #3226  |  Link
manolito

No you don't need to reinstall Windows...
Use Search to find all instances of MediaInfo.dll on your System partition. If you find any instance of the file in a folder like "syswow64" check the version (just hover the mouse over the file), and if it says "version 19.07" delete the file.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:05   #3227  |  Link
red5goahead

Hi guys.

I was wondering if you could manage the automatic avi script with the automatism that allows you to perform an interlaced encoding with better motion quality. If the source is progressive at 50 fps and you have chosen to interlace currently the script is as follows

Video = Video.ConvertToYV12()
Video = Video.Spline16Resize(720,576)
Video = Video.SelectEven()

but as we have already verified with Manolito, in this case with a real 50 fps at source, the most correct script would be this

Video = Video.ConvertToYV12()
Video = Video.Spline16Resize(720,576)
Video = Video.AssumeTFF()
Video = Video.SeparateFields()
Video = Video.SelectEvery(4,0,3)
Video = Video.Weave()

another question: is it not possible with AVStoDVD edit the source? Even just at the beginning and at the end?

I prefer HCenc because have 2-pass mode that it is not allowed with ffmpeg

Thank you!
red5goahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2019, 19:24   #3228  |  Link
Mike-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
No you don't need to reinstall Windows...
Use Search to find all instances of MediaInfo.dll on your System partition. If you find any instance of the file in a folder like "syswow64" check the version (just hover the mouse over the file), and if it says "version 19.07" delete the file.
Thanks you saved the day again
Old 1st August 2019, 20:16   #3229  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-uk View Post
Thanks you saved the day again
Now that you got MediaInfo 18.5 working, does this version report the correct duration of your problematic source file?
Old 1st August 2019, 22:35   #3230  |  Link
manolito

@ red5goahead

Nice to see you back so soon...

Yes, in AVStoDVD you can edit the source, but you can only cut away one section at the start and another section at the end. No splicing together multiple parts. This is how you do it:

Load your source and click "View/Edit Title Settings -> AviSynth". Untick automatic script creation and press the Preview button at the lower left. Now you have two additional buttons "[" and "]" which let you set the start and end frames. Close the preview window, now you will notice a new Trim command at the end of the script.

Usually using HCenc is preferred over FFmpeg. By default FFmpeg only allows basic CBR encodes without B-Frames. This will only give you good quality at very high bitrates, and this is how AVStoDVD uses it by default. But you can also use FFmpeg in 1-pass and 2-pass VBR modes by installing my VBR plugin:
https://files.videohelp.com/u/172211...D%20Plugins.7z
It is almost identical to the DVDStyler plugin. Only there is no integration into the software, users have to edit a batch file with NotePad to change settings.

For using the script to interlace 50fps sources, don't forget to also set "Interlaced TFF" flags for the encoder. After editing the scipt go to the Video tab, uncheck Automatic and tick "Interlaced -> TFF". If you forget this, the encoder will encode the (now interlaced) source using progressive settings, very bad for the quality.

I do have my doubts if MrC will agree to make this automatic, though. It is not too common creating an interlaced DVD from a progressive source. Then having a 50fps progressive source means mostly that the broadcaster just inserted duplicate frames. At least for film sources which were originally shot at 24fps the broadcaster just speeds it up to 25fps and then inserts a repeated frame for every source frame. In such cases interlacing it makes no sense. Users would have to analyze the source first before making a decision about interlacing it or not.

Cheers
manolito

//EDIT//
Quote:
but you can only cut away one section at the start and another section at the end. No splicing together multiple parts.
Actually there is an easy workaround for this restriction. It uses VirtualDub together with a simple tool called VCF2AVS. Basically you just load your source into VDub, do all your edits, then save your work into a VCF configuration file with "Save Processing Settings". VCF2AVS converts this into an AVS file which has all the necessary Trim commands in it. Paste these Trim commands to the end of your AVS script in AVsToDVD...

Last edited by manolito; 2nd August 2019 at 05:37.
Old 2nd August 2019, 00:29   #3231  |  Link
red5goahead

The editing function is more than enough but the problem is that you do not see the video and therefore it is not usable (I'm under Windows 10 64 bit 19H1)

https://i.postimg.cc/44tQLRHL/immagine.png

As for the fact that sources are hardly at 50/60 fps real is certainly true but with Hdmi acquisition cards this is possible (or in my case a sender Hdmi that using multicast, I wrote a utility to grab it with ffmpeg). Avstodvd developers could add a check as for the DV source confirming manually that the source is at 50/60 fps real and set the proper avisynth script
red5goahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2019, 01:05   #3232  |  Link
manolito

Damn, another report that the A2D preview is not working under Win10...

You are not the first user with this problem. A2D uses the ancient Quartz.dll for the preview, but I never found something that MS has stopped supporting this method under Win10. I am on Win7-64, and I have no problem with the A2D preview. If there is no way to make the preview work, you know that you can specify a different software player for the preview under preferences? Just no editing...

Here is something you could try:
The batch file in the linked archive restores a couple of AviSynth Registry entries which get altered by installing LAV filters. It may or may not help, but it sure does not do any damage.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/l9zgsz

The other file in the archive is VCF2AVS which you need if you want to use the VDub method to edit your source files.

Quote:
Avstodvd developers could add a check
There's only one single A2D developer, and this is MrC. Unfortunately he does only have very limited time lately to work on AVStoDVD, I try to help out with user support as much as I can, but of course my contributions are limited - I am just an informed user, not a developer.

Cheers
manolito
Old 2nd August 2019, 23:47   #3233  |  Link
Mike-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Now that you got MediaInfo 18.5 working, does this version report the correct duration of your problematic source file?
the m2ts file is still not seen correctly, but i plexed into an mkv and then tried to mux back into an m2ts with tsmuxer and it complained about a track not being reconised i ignored it and let it mux and it works fine, also the mkv works fine too
Old 3rd August 2019, 00:37   #3234  |  Link
manolito

Another thing you can try for transport streams is TSDoctor. It is payware, but they have a 30 day trial period.
Old 21st August 2019, 14:52   #3235  |  Link
manolito

Updated Audio Downmix Functions

Here are some updated audio downmix functions for AVStoDVD for possible inclusion for the next version...

The discussions are here:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...28#post2557993
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176788

From the Readme:
Quote:
Updated audio downmix functions for AVStoDVD
---------------------------------------------

Proposed by JuMe from the VideoHelp support forum
and using some help by tebasuna51

These are the changes:

1. Fixed a bug in the function "Dmix6Dpl2Lfe".
(The second "Return" statement did not belong there)

2. Added downmix functions for 7ch -> 6ch and a Dolby ProLogic IIx
compatible function for 8ch -> 6ch. (Thanks to JuMe for proposing it)

3. For the 7to6 and 8to6 downmix functions I added tebasuna's suggestion
to avoid clipping in the surround channels by converting the input
to float and use an audio limiter for the surround channels at the end.

Usage:

Extract the files from the "Lib" folder into your "AVStoDVD\Lib" folder.

To apply these new functions you need to edit the AVStoDVD AVS script
manually because A2D does not use them by default.
Download here:
https://files.videohelp.com/u/172211/A2D_Downmix.zip

Enjoy
manolito

//EDIT//
Some refactoring, please redownload...

Last edited by manolito; 6th September 2019 at 19:41. Reason: Refactoring
Old 17th September 2019, 18:12   #3236  |  Link
Mike-uk

Hi, me again :P

29.97 fps to pal 25 fps results in very choppy panning shots , any way to solve this ??

im pritty sure i had ntsc slowdown ticked, but i see no changes in the avisynth script ??

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by Mike-uk; 17th September 2019 at 18:45.
Old 17th September 2019, 18:55   #3237  |  Link
manolito

Yes, there are several ways to create smoother results...

First question is if your source is progressive or interlaced. If the source is interlaced then you do not have a choice. AVStoDVD will automatically use the preferred method for the conversion which will result in an interlaced PAL DVD. And this resulting DVD should play just as smoothly as the source.

But if your source is progressive then you do have choices. Pans will be juddery if you use ChangeFPS for the fps conversion. Under "Preferences -> AviSynth" you can specify the method for hard fps conversion. The "Insert/Drop Frames" option does use ChangeFPS. Using "Blend Frames" uses ConvertFPS instead. Looks smoother, but you will get ghosting. "Motion Compensation" uses the MCJMFPS.avsi script which interpolates frames. Should be very smooth, but depending on the source characteristics you may get some artifacts (most often warped vertical lines).

The last option is not included in the A2D options, you need to edit your AVS script manually. This option will not drop whole frames like ChangeFPS, it will drop fields instead which looks much smoother. The downside is that your result will be interlaced. Here is the script:
Quote:
# Insert after the resizer

Last = Video
Interleave(Last, Last)
ChangeFPS(50) # Drops Frames
# ConvertFPS(50) # Blends Frames
AssumeTFF()
SeparateFields()
SelectEvery(4,0,3)
Weave()
Video = Last

# The encoder must be set to "Interlaced".

Cheers
manolito

//EDIT//
Just saw your edited post...
NTSC slowdown won't help you here. This option applies if your source is PAL progressive (25 fps). When this option is ticked, A2D will slowdown 25fps to 23.976 fps and then add soft pulldown flags to make the output fps 29.97 fps.

Last edited by manolito; 17th September 2019 at 19:03.
Old 17th September 2019, 19:11   #3238  |  Link
Mike-uk

Hi manolito thanks for the fast reply,

the source file is progressive,
Old 18th September 2019, 17:39   #3239  |  Link
Mike-uk

went with motion compensation as a test proved to be fine

but im seeing a first pass encode at 30 fps, where as when using smart selection i was getting 200-300 ??

also i see there is a new FrameRateConverter v1.3 script, but the version Mrc uses is an edited version so i guess the new script wont work
Old 18th September 2019, 18:54   #3240  |  Link
manolito

Yes, using MVTools based motion compensation is very slow. The default settings are still tolerable for me, but wait until you add the "DCT=1" parameter. This can improve the quality considerably, but at a ridiculously low speed.

FrameRateConverter and the simplified John Meyer version are closely related. Basically FrameRateConverter is based on the JM script and adds some artifact masking. For me the difference in quality is very small, in most cases it is not worth the effort. But of course you can use FrameRateConverter with AVStoDVD. Put the AVSI script in your AviSynth autoload folder, and make sure that only the latest versions of all the dependencies are installed (only use the latest Pinterf versions). To call the script you need to edit your AVS script in AVStoDVD, there you replace the call to MCJMFPS with FrameRateConverter. The calling parameter convention is a little different, though. For the frame rate you do not use a float value, instead you use two integers for fpsnum and fpsden. For a target frame rate of 29.97 you need to specify "fpsnum=30000" and "fpsden=1001" instead of "fps=29.97".

Last edited by manolito; 18th September 2019 at 19:01.