Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 31st December 2016, 06:22   #1  |  Link
audiohominis

Consolidating DVDs into SD Blu-rays without re-encoding?

Hi, guys.

Are DVD-Video streams compatible with the Blu-ray standards?
In other words, if I were to de-mux DVD VOBs and re-mux the constituent M2V and AC3 streams into M2TS files as MPEG2 SD Blu-ray, would I loose Bluray compatibility?
Are there any things to keep in mind when doing so?

Thanks.

CPU: Intel® Core™i7 930 @ 2.80GFz 2.79 GHz (8 cores)
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250
SYS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
RAM: 6.00 GB

Last edited by audiohominis; 31st December 2016 at 06:31. Reason: Wrote "Hi, guy" (singular) instead of "guys" (plural) LOL!
audiohominis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 10:54   #2  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohominis View Post
Hi, guys.

Are DVD-Video streams compatible with the Blu-ray standards?
In other words, if I were to de-mux DVD VOBs and re-mux the constituent M2V and AC3 streams into M2TS files as MPEG2 SD Blu-ray, would I loose Bluray compatibility?
Are there any things to keep in mind when doing so?

Thanks.
Yes, DVD compliant video and audio streams are Blu-ray compliant. Exceptions are the subtitles if I remember this correctly.
So yes, you can just demux/remux the .vob to .m2ts. No need to convert from mpeg2 to mpeg4.
The subs would probably need to be converted.
You may also want to import or Quick-reauthor the DVD into BD-Rebuilder and let it do the job.

Last edited by Sharc; 31st December 2016 at 10:57.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 11:52   #3  |  Link
ndjamena

Not exactly. Blu Ray only supports 720×480 59.94i and 720×576 50i, which the vast majority of DVDs would be authored as, but DVD also supports other resolutions that aren't compatible with Blu Ray.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video
Code:
At a display rate of 25 frames per second, interlaced (commonly used in regions with 50 Hz image scanning frequency):
720 × 576 pixels (same resolution as D-1)704 × 576 pixels352 × 576 pixels (same as the China Video Disc standard)352 × 288 pixels At a display rate of 29.97 frames per second, interlaced (commonly used in regions with 60 Hz image scanning frequency):
720 × 480 pixels (same resolution as D-1).704 × 480 pixels352 × 480 pixels (same as the China Video Disc standard).352 × 240 pixels
I've never encountered discs with one of these other resolutions though, so if you stick to normal retail DVDs you should be fine.

(DVD also supports the ancient MPEG1 codec, which obviously Blu Ray does not.)
ndjamena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 04:11   #4  |  Link
audiohominis

Thank You!

Thanks, guys.

Happy New Year

Old 3rd January 2017, 15:06   #5  |  Link
Ghitulescu

The new medium allows for a generation, so DVD was almost 100% compatible with VCD, BD is almost 100% compatible with DVD (but not VCD). The future UHD appears again to be almost 100% compatible with BD (but not DVD, nor VCD).

I did this many times.
Old 11th January 2017, 09:51   #6  |  Link
mp3dom

Some flags into the mpeg2 stream could lead to a rejection on bluray.
Nothing that can't be fixed with the use of some tools, anyway.
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 11:35   #7  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I put both commercial DVDs, SAT/DVB recordings as well as my own private home movies (well, done via a DVD-Recorder) onto BDs without any issue at all. I have no access to a professional compliance verifier, but I had no issue on a quite large manufacturers' pool. Even the "long GOP" VCDs have been played as DVDs without any issue.
Old 11th January 2017, 15:55   #8  |  Link
mp3dom

Well, let me specify that you don't need to re-encode anything, but probably you just need to drop the mpeg into ReStream or similar tools to adjust the flags in the right manner.
Most of the times, the "Sequence end code" value or "progressive sequence flag" are the flags that causes the main issues.
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 05:58   #9  |  Link
audiohominis

Mixing Standards

Another question that popped up, guys, is whether it'd be okay to have both NTSC and PAL clips on the same disk. Granted, this question relates to Bluray in general, not just SD remuxing, but I'm just curious how players would react to a disk containing streams of different format.

Old 24th February 2017, 08:57   #10  |  Link
ndjamena

I think you can, but whether it will play back on all BD players is another issue.

Not all BD players are the same, but if you live in PAL land you should be OK.
ndjamena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 09:02   #11  |  Link
Sharc

I agree, you can, as long as the "NTSC" and "PAL" files are compliant with the Blu-ray formats (standardized set). Otherwise the player must not carry the Blu-ray logo.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 10:36   #12  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohominis View Post
Another question that popped up, guys, is whether it'd be okay to have both NTSC and PAL clips on the same disk. Granted, this question relates to Bluray in general, not just SD remuxing, but I'm just curious how players would react to a disk containing streams of different format.
Any playlist on a BD may be of any format, NTSC, PAL, HD24p, HD50i you name it - but the files composing one playlist must be the same format. This goes too for audio.

However, playing them is tricky if the AV-chain is not compatible with all formats. However, AFAIK, unlike in the DVD world, the BD players and/or TV sets can upscale and upsample the existing formats to fit their native formats. Sometimes this is hidden in the menus, sometimes it goes automatically.

Tags
dvd, mpeg2, re-multiplex, sd blu-ray, vob