Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 6th August 2020, 03:01   #21  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post

lol... I think I'm never gonna register to TikTok... it's something for the new generations...
Oh boy, listen to me, I'm young, I'm just from the 90s, but I'm already talking like StainlessS...
Perhaps Doom9 shaped me xD
it's not about new or old generations, these things along with stuff like gram make people braindead

see: https://www.reddit.com/r/CasualConve..._is_it_a_sign/
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 04:02   #22  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I dont really know what tiktok is (and dont want to know), same for instagram, I sort of know what twitter and facebook are,
but have no intention of ever signing up with any of them.
T'would seem to me that you have to be a bit brain dead to tell all about yourself, incl real name, address, when you are going away on hols, where you hide your
cash and jewellery etc. If I was about to burgle you, I think facebook would be the first place I would look you up and see where you are vulnerable.
I guess private investigators have it made today, just have to look up your fb page.
[also prospective employers etc, fb can be dangerous/damaging, just look at the mess Donald gets into with social media]

FranceBB, Brainstorm thingy is just a parallel to the optical illusion that I'm sure you have been confabulated by.
Dolphins and whales have brains bigger than a human, we used to judge inteligence on brain size up until somebody pointed out
that whales had bigger brains whereupon we moved the goalposts to put us up front again [brain size as proportion of body size].
Whales big brain is mainly for handling audio and echo location in the depths, it takes a lot of processing and it aint clear cut what any sound is [unlike a spelt word],
different people can say the same word, where different sex, age, regional or national accent, and yet we may still recognise the same word, there is a lot
of brain work going on there, and sometimes we can be given clues [or led astray] by different cues [like watching lips, or reading or thinking or anticipating a word].

To me, Brainstorm and Green Needle should not sound anything like each other, thats what is freaky about it.
But try with headphones if you can, and also maybe see if anyone else you know (who speaks in an equally odd native tongue) can experience the aural illusion.
(The 4th link below has two [Aussie I think] radio hosts saying the words Green Needle and Brainstorm, in a 'variety' of English).
Quote:
Oh boy, listen to me, I'm young, I'm just from the 90s, but I'm already talking like StainlessS...
I guess I must represent [in your mind] "the ol' fart of D9".

Some attempts at explainations:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/16/scien...-clip-7549662/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_jFxdK-v8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGBa_XTESBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqA0YgTgq34 <<<<<<< ==== Love this one

Optical illusion that apparently causesd a lot of fuss back in 2015.

The Dress - Blue & Black or White & Gold. [apparently years of research into color perception followed this illusion]
https://slate.com/technology/2017/04...fferently.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...lue-dress.html

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/05/16...ptual-science/

I see White and Gold.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 6th February 2021 at 12:31.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 09:29   #23  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
it's not about new or old generations, these things along with stuff like gram make people braindead
Well yeah...
I don't have TikTok, Instagram and other things.
The only thing I have in terms of Social Networks are LinkedIn and Facebook 'cause I follow politicians and it's helpful to keep contacts with some of my friends and old colleagues, but that's it... and most importantly, I post only what I want while there are people taking pictures with their smartphones (not even a decent camera) all the time... Oh and hashtags... Hashtags are probably the smartest thing programmers invented: they tricked people into labelling their pictures and manually insert meta tags by letting them think it's "cool", so people began to take pictures and post things like: "#Sunbating" or "#Ice cream" or "#At home" and so on. People at FB are geniuses xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
I dont really know what tiktok is (and dont want to know), same for instagram, I sort of know what twitter and facebook are,
but have no intention of ever signing up with any of them.
Well, what makes me wonder is the fact that people like the random teen coming out from Love Island on ITV or other "Instagram Models" or "Influencers" and so on actually find a way to make money out of these things and have their bit of popularity...

Quote:
To me, Brainstorm and Green Needle should not sound anything like each other, thats what is freaky about it.
Ok, so I'm not mad, they really don't sound anything like each other. xD

Quote:
I guess I must represent [in your mind] "the ol' fart of D9".
Not just in my mind. :P
Jokes aside, you're probably one of the few people I can play around with without taking what I say seriously.
(And on the other hand, there's a bit a truth about the average Doom9 age from a poll I made a while ago as Statistics don't lie xD)

Last edited by FranceBB; 6th August 2020 at 09:33.
FranceBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 12:50   #24  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
(And on the other hand, there's a bit a truth about the average Doom9 age from a poll I made a while ago as Statistics don't lie xD)
Tis true, most of us on the D9 are ol' farts, with the odd exception that just thinks he's an ol' fart, eg Feisty. [a 21 YO-ish ol' fart, that has been an ol' fart for quite some years].

[I dont really know what a hashtag is, nor how one would use it, dont tell me, ignorance can indeed be bliss].

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 15th August 2020, 15:23   #25  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Goodness me ! what the hell is this creature ???, is it

A) Cat Snake
B) Mouse Snake
C) Hairy Eel Fish
D) None of the above.

[answers on a postcard to the usual address]

EDIT: Image has disappeared from postImages.org
EDIT: It came back again.

[ It really is a living creature, all will be revealed , eventually ]

Perhaps keep identity to yourself if you firgure it out.

Last edited by StainlessS; 2nd October 2021 at 20:44.
Old 22nd August 2020, 04:23   #26  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

OK, answer was D), None Of the Above.

Rotate Planet Earth 90 degrees clockwise (incl you monitor) and the real animal will be revealed

Last edited by StainlessS; 13th April 2021 at 22:18.
Old 22nd August 2020, 04:48   #27  |  Link
Asmodian

Haha, that is a good illusion!
Old 24th September 2020, 12:34   #28  |  Link
HowardWow1997

Brain storm.
Unambiguously!
HowardWow1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2020, 05:16   #29  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
It is!

I have a triple boot:

- XP Professional x86 with custom kernel (Win7 backported APIs), PAE up to 64GB of RAM, Microsoft Extended Support with all the updates 'till July 2019 and 0patch to patch 0 day vulnerabilities
Whoa whoa whoa. And here I am using XP x64 Edition like a fucking tool. Where did you get that? How much stuff can it run that theoretically isn't supposed to run under XP anymore? WoW? Steam? Minecraft?
Old 26th September 2020, 09:20   #30  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Think should look here Katie:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...42#post1840142

Quote:
I personally use Linux and Windows XP in a virtual machine, for everything else I have Windows Server 2016 and I connect remotely to it via RDP to encode.
This is way off topic, but still... if you are willing to try an XP based OS, I think you should try Windows Shorthorn http://shorthornproject.com/
It's XP/Server 2003 based, but has many improvements, including a modified kernel that includes more functions and allows to run programs and drivers that wouldn't normally run on XP.
This is the closest thing you can get to an updated Windows XP.

Cheers.
EDIT: To see more on it, search "PAE" for user "FranceBB" [posts].
I had a bit of a look at ShortHorn project some years ago, think was originally targetting Vista [WinNT 6.0] API's rather than W7 [WinNT 6.1].

Last edited by StainlessS; 26th September 2020 at 09:34.
Old 26th September 2020, 11:58   #31  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Well we're still actively working on the One Core API. You could technically install One Core API on a perfectly valid version of XP, however I would advise you against that as it's still not stable.
By the way, I didn't "find" it, we (me, Dibya, Samuel, Peter, Barcode and others) made it.
If you are interested in the project, this is our GitHub page:

Source code: https://github.com/Skulltrail192/One-Core-Api

Binaries: https://github.com/Skulltrail192/One-Core-API-Binaries

In this very moment we're working on backporting Chromium to get a proper updated browser. In the meantime, you can use Roytam's modded browsers that you can find here: http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser?m=1

They're all updated and support TLS1.3, however they're all Firefox based.
I gotta say, though, that despite we've been actively working on it for years, we've made very little progress recently as there are still tons of kernel calls that have to be backported. Its usage it's simple: there are two kernel and a modified HAL among other things. Whenever a call is valid/legacy, it goes directly to the old kernel and comes back, if however a call is new, it's either redirected to an old call which would behave the same (like GetThickCount64 which is redirected to GetThickCount) or, if it's not available in the original kernel, it's redirected to a new kernel which is made by us and it's based on both reactOS and Wine. As to the Hardware Abstraction Layer, on x86 its main thing is to allow PAE up to 64 GB of RAM just like it does on Windows Server 2003, while on x64 is basically the one from Windows Server 2003 x64 which has been modified and transplanted to make it work with XP x64. We've also managed to get compatibility with some Vista drivers and we're targeting Win7, however our biggest challenge now is to get it working on UEFI as it's 2020 and Intel will be removing BIOS compatibility from next year, but unfortunately, we're not there yet...
Old 27th September 2020, 17:48   #32  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
We've also managed to get compatibility with some Vista drivers and we're targeting Win7
Hmmmm, so I'd still be stuck using hardware from 2014. Damn.

Maybe it would be easier to take a more modern version of Windows, bundle it with Classic Shell 4.3.1, strip out UAC and other nonsense, change all the default settings to mimic 95/98/2k as accurately as possible, and forward-port the old Photo Viewer (the one that would show animated gifs correctly), the Classic and Luna themes, and any bits of the XP kernel that are necessary to get older programs (Doom 3, Premiere Pro 2.0) to work?
Old 27th September 2020, 23:20   #33  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Well, the problem is, we would probably all be fined and the project would be shut down if we ever try to do anything like that due to the licensing and the patents that Microsoft holds on those products...
Old 28th September 2020, 08:06   #34  |  Link
Katie Boundary

MS doesn't sell software. They literally give the ISOs away on their website these days. What they sell are activation keys. As long as whatever you distribute still requires activation, MS won't care.

They're much more likely to go after Windows 10 integral edition; that guy hosts an activation crack, though he doesn't bundle it with the OS.
Old 6th February 2021, 02:04   #35  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Well, what do you see ... a man, or a dog ???

EDIT: For me its a man first, then 10 seconds later a dog.

EDIT: And a reminder of this thread title, already posted in post #22.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqA0YgTgq34 <<<<<<< ==== Love this one

Last edited by StainlessS; 6th February 2021 at 12:46.
Old 6th February 2021, 18:01   #36  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
My temporary setup is pretty bad, by the way, 'cause I don't have space for the SL - SR xD:
Which brand is that audio setup?
Old 7th February 2021, 12:27   #37  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Well, what do you see ... a man, or a dog ???

Well, If I keep it in the lower part of the screen, a man, but as I scroll down I see a dog, so... honestly, both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Which brand is that audio setup?
The one I have connected to Sky Q and to the UHD BD is a very old Phillips 5.1, while the one connected to the computer is a crappy Auna 5.1 going through a C-Media Audio card.
The original plan was to get a proper setup with a proper external audio card to replace the external C-Media Audio card.
The one I wanted to get was a Motu M2: Link

however that is pricey.
As to the Subwoofer, the Auna one sounds awful compared to my old Philips one, so I wanted to replace it with something better, but I haven't thought about what to pick just yet.
Anyway, between the pandemic, the economic uncertainty and the fact that some of my friends lost their job, I feel like it's not the best time to buy something like this, so I'm gonna stick with my setup 'till either my Birthday (July) or Christmas 2021, when we'll finally have a bit of certainty about whether we're all gonna be fine and life is gonna be back to normality OR we're gonna face the biggest recession of all the recessions in the history of mankind.

Last edited by FranceBB; 7th February 2021 at 12:30.
Old 9th February 2021, 19:06   #38  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Stare at spot in the center for 10 seconds ... what happens ?

I will not say what the effect is supposed to be, I only got it after doing it several times.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/13...econds-freaky/

Old 9th February 2021, 19:14   #39  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Stare at spot in the center for 10 seconds ... what happens ?
I slowly lose the perception of chroma and everything around gets of the very same color. Interesting.
Was it the same for you?
Old 9th February 2021, 21:28   #40  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yep, that is whats supposed to happen, as it says in the link below the image.