Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 1st August 2020, 21:43   #29781  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
Was anyone able to do a successful Autocrop with HEVC (UHD) content?
The AVS file is running, there is just no cropping done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I'll do some testing.

Were you using NVENCC or X265 for your output?
I just tried it with an HEVC 2160p source... and it didn't work. The AVS file looks okay, but when I play it back (even directly with no reencoding) it isn't cropping. It's almost as if the AutoCrop() call isn't even there -- but it is.

[Edit] Just tried it with RoboCrop (another auto cropping plugin) as suggested by BuddTX and got the same results.

Last edited by jdobbs; 1st August 2020 at 22:13.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 23:08   #29782  |  Link
gonca

Quick question
Do AutoCrop or RoboCrop work with 10 bit video?
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 02:15   #29783  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Quick question
Do AutoCrop or RoboCrop work with 10 bit video?
That could be an issue, yes. AVISYNTH only works in 8 bit. But I would have assumed that the conversion takes place during decoding, otherwise AVISYNTH shouldn't work at all with the source.
Old 2nd August 2020, 13:03   #29784  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
I just tried it with an HEVC 2160p source... and it didn't work. The AVS file looks okay, but when I play it back (even directly with no reencoding) it isn't cropping. It's almost as if the AutoCrop() call isn't even there -- but it is.
Can confirm that ... I did a conversion with x265, but also just played the AVS file in MPC-HC.
I'm afraid, in 2005, when AutoCrop was last updated, 10bit and 4K was far away
cartman0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 15:18   #29785  |  Link
Mike-uk

@jdobbs are you using multipass ??

Multi pass frame encoding
When determining the QP to use for encoding a frame, it is beneficial if NVENC knows the overall complexity of the frame to distribute the available bit budget in the most optimal manner. In some situations, multi-pass encoding may also help catch larger motion between frames. For this purpose, NVENC supports the following types of multi-pass frame encoding modes:

1-pass per frame encoding (NV_ENC_MULTI_PASS_DISABLED)
2-passes per frame, with first pass in quarter resolution and second pass in full resolution (NV_ENC_TWO_PASS_QUARTER_RESOLUTION)
2-passes per frame, with both passes in full resolution (NV_ENC_TWO_PASS_FULL_RESOLUION).
In 1-pass rate control modes, NVENC estimates the required QP for the macroblock and immediately encodes the macroblock. In 2-pass rate control modes, NVENC estimates the complexity of the frame to be encoded and determines bit distribution across the frame in the first pass. In the second pass, NVENC encodes macroblocks in the frame using the distribution determined in the first pass. As a result, with 2-pass rate control modes, NVENC can distribute the bits more optimally within the frame and can reach closer to the target bitrate, especially for CBR encoding. Note, however, that everything else being the same, performance of 2-pass rate control mode is lower than that of 1-pass rate control mode. The client application should choose an appropriate multi-pass rate control mode after evaluating various modes, as each of the modes has its own advantages and disadvantages. NV_ENC_TWO_PASS_FULL_RESOLUION generates better statistics for the second pass, whereas NV_ENC_TWO_PASS_QUARTER_RESOLUTION results in larger motion vectors being caught and fed as hints to second pass.

and from nvencc

--multipass <string>
Multi pass mode. Available only for --vbr and --cbr. [API v10.0]

none
2pass-quarter
2pass-full
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 17:27   #29786  |  Link
Sharc

History repeats .....

https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=29626

From rigaya's release notes of Release 5.10:
Quote:
Options below will be mapped to each other depending on the NVENC API version used.

SDK API 9.0, 9.1: --vbrhq
SDK API 10.0: --vbr --multipass 2pass-full
The 2 are currently equivalent.
He also wrote that in future the --vbrhq of API 9.0, 9.1 may be dropped and and only the syntax of API 10.0 will be supported.

Last edited by Sharc; 2nd August 2020 at 17:50.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 20:11   #29787  |  Link
Mike-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
lol didnt see your post :P
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 20:21   #29788  |  Link
Sharc

No problem. Double-stitching has its benefits
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 21:11   #29789  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD

CRF Prediction is broken for x265.

Quote:
----------------------
[08/02/20] BD Rebuilder v0.61.09
[14:41:06] Source: THE_FAST_AND_THE_FURIOUS_2001
- Input BD size: 57.81 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:36:40.348]
- Target BD size: 24.41 GB
- Windows Version: 6.2 [9200]
- Quality: High Quality (Default), CRF
- Decoding/Frame serving: FFMPEG
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640
[14:41:08] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [14:41:08] Processing: VID_00165 (1 of 4)
- [14:41:08] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00165]
- [14:41:14] Reencoding video [VID_00165]
- Source Video: HEVC, 3840x2160
- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 576 frames
- [14:41:14] Performing CRF Prediction...
- Analyzing 16.00 14.40 15.45 14.70 15.25 14.85 15.15 [15.15]
- [14:42:22] Encoding using constant rate factor.
- Performing size-correcting second pass...
- [14:45:07] Video Encode complete
- [14:45:07] Processing audio tracks
- Track 4352 (eng): Keeping original audio
- [14:45:07] Multiplexing M2TS
- [14:45:11] Blanking: VID_00252 (2 of 4)
- [14:45:11] Blanking: VID_00253 (3 of 4)
- [14:45:11] Processing: VID_00294 (4 of 4)
- [14:45:11] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00294]
- [14:54:27] Reencoding video [VID_00294]
- Source Video: HEVC, 3840x2160
- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 153,721 frames
- [14:54:27] Performing CRF Prediction...
- Analyzing 16.30 2.00 [2.00]
- [14:55:03] Encoding using constant rate factor.
[14:56:53] - Aborted by user request
CRF 2 is insanely low, I loaded the prediction AVS script / M2TS on VDub, seems to be broken at I frames, so its mainly static frames, which explains the low CRF value.

This is the sample file:
https://mega.nz/file/ATpg3Q6J#XK09Bq...KhTTZVPpz4w9Es
SquallMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 22:31   #29790  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquallMX View Post

CRF 2 is insanely low, I loaded the prediction AVS script / M2TS on VDub, seems to be broken at I frames, so its mainly static frames, which explains the low CRF value.

This is the sample file:
Did you try a complete encode?
I had CRF Values of 1.00 but the output was not oversized ...
Old 3rd August 2020, 01:49   #29791  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
Did you try a complete encode?
I had CRF Values of 1.00 but the output was not oversized ...
It's almost impossible for a 35mm live action film to get those CRF values for a 4K BD-25, for reference when using nVidia HW Accelerated encoding I got a value of 22.15.
SquallMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 03:35   #29792  |  Link
meadrocks

Howls Moving Castle

Quote:
Actually I'd forgotten about that. Earlier versions of MP4BOX (like the 2012 one included with BD-RB) didn't support HEVC -- so BD-RB only allowed MKV for writing an HEVC stream.

I'm testing a version with HEVC support that is a good balance of size/capability to include with BD-RB in the next release.

[Edit] Completed. You will be able to output HEVC to an MP4 in the next release.
I'll wait for the next release & try both container types.
meadrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 06:35   #29793  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
One thing that might cause that: Did you import the file before NVENCC was implemented in BD-RB and then use NVENCC for the encode? If so, the NVENCC adjustments wouldn't be found in the PSEUDO.INF file (created during import) and the resizing and/or padding wouldn't occur.

Just throwing out possibilities.
Hmmm, thanks for the thought, but no... I just simply took the MKV file, used TSMuxer to convert it to a BDMV/CERT format, then used that as the source like I would any ripped Blu-ray for BDRB. I then set the size output slightly smaller so that it would force a re-encode (the original size of the BDMV folder was around 18 Gigs. I used the LAV internal encoder as usual. I didn't change anything that I normally would do.

No biggie really, as long as I know now that BDRB will not automatically detect the improper AR within the BDMV folder, I will just add the AVS script from now on if I have to do that. I don't do that very often, only when I have a pretty high resolution file that has the lossless audio (I know, I know... ) but I want to convert the video to a playable Blu-ray format.

It just occurred to me too that maybe if I just simply imported the original MKV file into BDRB and let IT created the pseudo BDMV folder, then perhaps it would detect the non-compliant AR in the MKV file. I guess I was just trying to skip having BDRB do that step.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 21:01   #29794  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
It's almost impossible for a 35mm live action film to get those CRF values for a 4K BD-25, for reference when using nVidia HW Accelerated encoding I got a value of 22.15.
Sure, but did you actually complete the encode (in your log it was aborted)?
Might be a display issue and an other value is used ... just see, what output size you get...
Old 3rd August 2020, 23:12   #29795  |  Link
jdobbs

Status update: Got pretty much everything reported in bug reports fixed. Currently working on HDR10+ support. I'll probably be releasing the next version in a day or two.
Old 3rd August 2020, 23:17   #29796  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:

This is the sample file:
The AVS isn't used for HEVC prediction because the SelectRangeEvery() filter just doesn't seem to be able to find keyframes on HEVC. You also can't look at the M2TS used as input because a player (but not an encoder) will have trouble with the crazy DTS/PTS values.

You pretty much have to look at the output of the prediction to actually see how it went.
Old 4th August 2020, 08:07   #29797  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Status update: Got pretty much everything reported in bug reports fixed. Currently working on HDR10+ support. I'll probably be releasing the next version in a day or two.
Thanks Boss!
Old 4th August 2020, 08:18   #29798  |  Link
Lathe

On a side note, with my new build everything works really well, except when I try to utilize more of the CPU. I wonder if the Ryzen 5's are known easily to over heat? It's ONLY when I try to do an encode which of course tries to utilize most of the CPU. If it is running full out at 90%+ it gradually gets hotter and hotter until it reaches about 90 degrees and shuts the computer off. The case I got has FIVE bloody fans in it too for Goodness sake! With a huge one on the side to draw in cooler air. I'm taking it back in to where they built it, and as an added help I bought an after market CPU cooler. But, it really shouldn't be doing that anyway.

The only work around I could come up with is when I did an encode using x264 either with or without BDRB, the only way I can keep the CPU from overheating is to deselect the cores/threads in the 'Affinity' setting when you right-click the x264 process in TM. So, if I only use 1/4 of the 'cores' or whatever they are and the CPU is only running at 25%, I can just BARELY keep it under the redline temperature. Sure is frustrating. Still is a lot faster than my old one, but it would be kind of nice to be able to use the entire potential of the CPU.

I'm HOPING that he will find what exactly is causing that (hopefully NOT a bad CPU!) because just adding the after market cooler alone will not fix that. I guess I'll just hafta see what happens...
Old 4th August 2020, 15:03   #29799  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
On a side note, with my new build everything works really well, except when I try to utilize more of the CPU. I wonder if the Ryzen 5's are known easily to over heat? It's ONLY when I try to do an encode which of course tries to utilize most of the CPU. If it is running full out at 90%+ it gradually gets hotter and hotter until it reaches about 90 degrees and shuts the computer off. The case I got has FIVE bloody fans in it too for Goodness sake! With a huge one on the side to draw in cooler air. I'm taking it back in to where they built it, and as an added help I bought an after market CPU cooler. But, it really shouldn't be doing that anyway.
It's like cars with a lot of power and crappy tires ... can't get the power on the street
One hint I can give: thermal conductive paste, not too little, not too much...
If the heat from the CPU cant get to the heat spreader you can have the best cooling solution ever but it won't cool.

I, personally, use AIO watercoolers ... easy setup, lots of space left in the case, way cooler than all the aircoolers I had and not even that expensive...
Old 4th August 2020, 22:03   #29800  |  Link
gonca

@Lathe
The coolers supplied by Intel and AMD with their CPUs are not the greatest, to be kind.
Like cartman0208 said, get an AIO watercooler
I like Corsair, and don't get one with a small radiator
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote