Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 1st November 2016, 00:13   #1  |  Link
vidschlub

Software to scan media for resolution qualities?

Hello all,

I have an app called "Video Explorer" a guy on the Kodi (XBMC) forums recommended to me, it's useful for identifying the status specifically of files such as resolution, bitrate etc - but it's specifically designed ONLY for movies / films.

Does anyone know an explorer like software, I can point to a folder and simply scan the whole folder, identifying all media within folder (and subfolders) showing me bitrate, resolution, codec, etc? I know of several for individual files but I couldn't find anything for many many files.

BONUS: similar software (or same package?) which can identify damaged files?

Thanks all for your help, I really appreciate it.
vidschlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 01:53   #2  |  Link
AnonCrow

Like Mediainfo - in Sheet view ?

Last edited by AnonCrow; 1st November 2016 at 01:55.
AnonCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 14:34   #3  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

Tested on Linux, from this point in tree search for mp4 or mkv or avi and spit some of the mediainfo
Code:
find . \( -name *.mkv -o -name *.avi -o -name *.mp4 \) -exec mediainfo {} \+ | grep -E 'Complete name|Format/Info|Width|Height'
(would need some work I guess)

p.s. And yes you should really fix this html code box width already.
smok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 00:48   #4  |  Link
vidschlub

I tried media info but it seemed to be lacking some finer details like resolution and what have you. Video Explorers interface seems (mostly) ideal, except of course it's specifically targetted to movies and requires .NFO files per movie (god knows why, it's closely tied to Kodi though, I think he wrote it to help manage his movies)

I just want to find all the movies on all my disks under 640x480 and make them disappear
Old 2nd November 2016, 01:19   #5  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

Under Options you can extensively customize Sheet view.

For nicer formatting, File/Export sheet view as .CSV, open in a spreadsheet program.

EDIT: seeing as you just want to
>find all the movies on all my disks under 640x480 and make them disappear
...you can show the Horizontal Resolution and Vertical Resolution columns in File Explorer, sort by those columns, and select the files you want to delete.

Last edited by raffriff42; 16th March 2017 at 14:44. Reason: (fixed image link)
raffriff42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 01:27   #6  |  Link
vidschlub

Thank you all for the help, MediaInfo does actually look powerful, albeit clunky user interface.

I got it displaying the data I needed, however I can't actually sort by video width or bitrate or any of the columns. Based on the look of the package, I'm figuring this is normal, right? :/

The Windows Explorer concept isn't bad, except we're looking at 1000 to 5000 files here, in literally hundreds of directories. So I can't actually view all files from the root path in one view.

Is there another package like MediaInfo which can summarize my media for me? (thanks, sorry)
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:48   #7  |  Link
johnmeyer

Doesn't Mediainfo let you export CSV (i.e., spreadsheet format)? If so, you can import to a spreadsheet program (e.g., Excel) and then format it any way you want.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:49   #8  |  Link
groucho86

MS Excel or LibreOffice Calc or Google Spreadsheet. Import the CSV that MediaInfo generated and sort with whatever columns you wish.

Slightly convoluted, but the way I would delete specific files (on a Mac) would be to:
  1. Create list of files to delete ( as txt file)
  2. I use textwrangler to replace line returns ("\r") with null bytes ("\x00")
  3. Batch delete in Terminal (bash):
    cat files_to_delete.txt | sudo xargs -0 -I {} rm -r {}
groucho86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2016, 00:36   #9  |  Link
vidschlub

Sorry again to be awkward / argumentative or whatever but the thing is, mediainfo is very powerful for discovering data but I can't then, simply double click on the file, make a quick snap judgement or right click delete or anything.

Exporting to excel is also messy, I won't have any file control function there either. Maybe I'll just decide to rename the file, or perhaps I'll spot 2 versions of the same video but one in lower res, that explorer like control is where it's at

I've googled around at a few others, only found a handful and most were poor.
I mean honestly the explorer view with resolution turned on is one of the better suggestions but I would have thought, somewhere there's a better alternative for quickly getting a mildly detailed summary of file information and then being able to act on said information.
Old 4th November 2016, 05:17   #10  |  Link
johnmeyer

I think I understand what you want. It sounds like you want something a little like the old XTree or, going back even further to the '80s, Magellan. These were programs that gave you what is now called an Explorer view, but the right pane would give you a preview of the file. What you are looking for is something that, when you press the arrow key in the left pane to select the next file, the right pane will give you the same information as Mediainfo, but will also let you preview the video. If that preview is corrupt, you can delete the file.

If I have correctly stated your goal, while I don't have a specific program to recommend, you might want to research "Windows File Managers." I use one called FileBoss which I really like. However, it does not have a preview capability. Perhaps someone else can suggest one that does, and it may let you preview the video capabilities.

BTW, in case you didn't know, you can right-click on any column heading in Windows Explorer and you will find a huge number of additional columns that you can add. I'm on an old XP computer right now, so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure that in Windows 7/8/10 there are a lot more options and you may be able to get some video metadata listed in Explorer.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
codec, media, quality, resolution, scan