Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > VP9 and AV1

Old 26th July 2018, 14:05   #781  |  Link
clsid

The video itself is just laggy and poor quality. I have it working in MPC-HC (private test build). No drops.

Benchmark in GraphStudioNext gives 32fps. It seems to be single threaded by default. Need to check compile options later.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 14:29   #782  |  Link
soresu

I wonder how conducive AV1 is to decoding by GPU OpenCL, certainly seems like the ideal way to go prior to ASIC decoders being integrated into SoC's and GPU's. Presumably some of the hardware input from companies like AMD, nVidia and Intel covered this?
soresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 16:15   #783  |  Link
iwod

Quote:
Originally Posted by soresu View Post
I wonder how conducive AV1 is to decoding by GPU OpenCL, certainly seems like the ideal way to go prior to ASIC decoders being integrated into SoC's and GPU's. Presumably some of the hardware input from companies like AMD, nVidia and Intel covered this?
OpenCL isn't silver bullet, copying data between GPU and CPU will likely be expensive for decoding operation.
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 17:26   #784  |  Link
Gravitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
The video itself is just laggy and poor quality. I have it working in MPC-HC (private test build). No drops.
Timing to the open version?
Park_Joy will bring to the clean water all the PR of the next-gen video format.
Gravitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 19:42   #785  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

I see only about 5% CPU usage on my i7 6700k. Upon reviewing a bit more there are some frame drops happening, so there's still work to do here for sure.

The quality is rough, but it's 500 Kbps, so quite impressive TBH.

Last edited by Blue_MiSfit; 26th July 2018 at 19:48.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 23:52   #786  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwod View Post
OpenCL isn't silver bullet, copying data between GPU and CPU will likely be expensive for decoding operation.
Weren't those expensive memory copying operations exactly what AMD's HSA and hUMA were supposed to solve?

I realize that, back when HSA and hUMA were introduced, AMD only had APUs using the sub-par "Bulldozer" architecture and its evolutions - this meant there wasn't exactly much interest in tailoring software towards AMD CPUs at the time, but Ryzen is definitely a completely different beast.

Now obviously this would only work on Ryzen APUs, but that's not exactly an issue on laptops when all mobile Ryzen chips are APUs anyway (not counting those uber-performance laptops that use a full-fat AM4 desktop Ryzen CPU). Besides, I would imagine that most non-APU Ryzen processors could at least "brute-force" their way via the abundance of CPU cores and threads to decode the video stream (assuming that AV1 decoding could be made to take advantage of that many threads).

...of course, this assumes that Ryzen APUs even support HSA and hUMA. I mean, AMD hasn't mentioned anything about them for a while now, so who knows?

EDIT: I was reading through some of the older posts in this thread and I just had to respond to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
I'm sorry, tell us again about how this codec isn't designed for your 20-year-old Pentium 4. That has nothing to do with optimizability under AVX/AVX2 or Altivec, which are the only instruction sets that matter today.
The first Pentium 4 was released in late 2000, but those were the lame Willamette models that needed RDRAM. Much more popular were the Northwood models that supported DDR memory, but those didn't come out until early 2002.

So no, not 20 years ago.

And AVX isn't supported on even the newest Sky/Kaby/Coffee Lake-based Pentium and Celeron CPUs either (and no, I don't mean the low-power Atom-based Celerons & Pentiums), including the ever-popular 2c/4t Pentium CPUs like the G4560 and G5400.

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64; 27th July 2018 at 01:29.
Nintendo Maniac 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2018, 12:13   #787  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac 64 View Post
Weren't those expensive memory copying operations exactly what AMD's HSA and hUMA were supposed to solve?
It did solve it. It's just that no-one bothered using it.

Too bad. If things wen the other way around it could have opened up a bunch of algorithms to use together. Intel (ARM) would have been forced to follow and we might have some pretty cool stuff by now. Maybe we'd be at a brink of two layer CPU+GPU APUs.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2018, 18:35   #788  |  Link
IgorC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Holy crap guys, the latest Chrome Canary has a significantly improved AV1 decoder. You can play this http://video.1ko.ch/codec-comparison...18-06_550.webm 1080p test stream using very little CPU.
Thank you for the video.

Slow motion parts have very good quality (considering it's 1080p@550k). However high motion moment is looking ugly.
Rate-control isn't well tuned, I guess.
IgorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2018, 20:20   #789  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
It did solve it. It's just that no-one bothered using it.
That's why I mentioned the whole "Bulldozer was a bit sub-par", because as Itanium proved, devs aren't really going to develop for something that's fast at new things if it's also a complete dog at old things.

And that's also why I mentioned Ryzen, because it's totally not a dog at all, and those Ryzen APUs are arguably even more competitive in mobile (at least if you ignore those 6core Intel parts, but I would be very surprised if mobile Zen2-based APUs weren't also sporting at least 6 cores).

But again, I have literally no idea if Ryzen APUs support HSA and hUMA, and I've even tried researching the subject.

If there's any consolation, I imagine that any future AMD-powered console would support this functionality, and heck even Intel's renewed focus on graphics may result in something similar in the future.

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64; 27th July 2018 at 20:22.
Old 28th July 2018, 12:02   #790  |  Link
Barough

AOM AV1 v1.0.0-245-ge4d148435
Built on July 28, 2018, GCC 7.3.0

Code:
https://aomedia.googlesource.com/aom
Barough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 00:47   #791  |  Link
utack

Is it just me, or is the tuning of libaom stil way off?
It completely murders some darker and "flat" areas, where x265 retains a lot of detail
Example (especially bottom right, from a 30s clip, same bitrate):
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/117597

Is there some optimization coming, that takes human perception into consideration and distributes bitrate accordingly?

Last edited by utack; 29th July 2018 at 00:50.
utack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 01:18   #792  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

I don't think it has any visual tuning yet, it's only being tuned for a variety of metrics. Also, AV1 uses golden frames (imho a bad legacy from vp9), so the frame quality varies quite considerably, so judging individual frames are not necessarily an accurate way to compare quality.
Tommy Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 06:35   #793  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Any codec that smooths that much is obviously PSNR-tuned.

It was funny waking up this morning and seeing Monty log on to the IRC channel with, "'mornin. How close are we to 1.0?" Crackin' the whip.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 13:50   #794  |  Link
mandarinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac 64 View Post
And AVX isn't supported on even the newest Sky/Kaby/Coffee Lake-based Pentium and Celeron CPUs either (and no, I don't mean the low-power Atom-based Celerons & Pentiums), including the ever-popular 2c/4t Pentium CPUs like the G4560 and G5400.
Very important point. I actually found that some multimedia devs weren't aware of this in the past, thinking they only need to write AVX2 now. It's rather unfortunate that Intel insists on this.

The Atom cores matter too though, IMHO. There is a huge number of devices with them and they actually improve a lot currently (Goldmont, Goldmont+), much more than Intel big cores. Yet they still keep only 128bit SIMD (SSE-SSE4) so it would really be good if the devs of important format's decoders took time to implement SSE* functions and not just AVX2 ones. After all, there is also a huge number of fast CPUs that don't have AVX2, like Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs a la i5-2500/2400 or i7-2600K.

---------------------------
Hmm, BTW. Are there some good estimates as to what CPU will be needed for comfortable decoding of 4K content (24 - 30 fps) in AV1 with all bells and whistles of the format used? (10bit etc, all the compression tools on, high bitrates including spikes in motion, VBR with no streaming-style constraints...). With some sane headroom.

Last edited by mandarinka; 29th July 2018 at 14:06.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 15:30   #795  |  Link
Jamaika

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
Yet they still keep only 128bit SIMD (SSE-SSE4) so it would really be good if the devs of important format's decoders took time to implement SSE* functions and not just AVX2 ones. After all, there is also a huge number of fast CPUs that don't have AVX2, like Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs a la i5-2500/2400 or i7-2600K.
Little real. The creators of the new JPEG codecs google or dropbox aren't interested in prehistory.
Jamaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 20:43   #796  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaika View Post
prehistory
This is why I focused on the newest Pentiums like the G5400 - one can't use the "old" argument if they're literally the newest generation of Pentiums available.
Old 29th July 2018, 21:34   #797  |  Link
Jamaika

Off top:
For me, a poor man and an enthusiast, let's say novelties, in Central Europe the computer ages after five years. Then the computer for free throws into the bucket and begins the path of cost-effective recycling to Asia. For me, an inconceivable fact.
I remember the times when Intel's new processors debuted on the market every two weeks. It was a market. The world is changing and for sure it isn't an era of Intel.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...-512-aka-avx3/

Last edited by Jamaika; 30th July 2018 at 05:12.
Jamaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 21:45   #798  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Carrot View Post
I don't think it has any visual tuning yet, it's only being tuned for a variety of metrics. Also, AV1 uses golden frames (imho a bad legacy from vp9), so the frame quality varies quite considerably, so judging individual frames are not necessarily an accurate way to compare quality.
I believe someone explained before that the golden frame was kept consciously, and that it's no is not only not a disadvantage, but on the contrary it allows to do some stuff that otherwise wouldn't be possible.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 12:08   #799  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
I believe someone explained before that the golden frame was kept consciously, and that it's no is not only not a disadvantage, but on the contrary it allows to do some stuff that otherwise wouldn't be possible.
Maybe so, but it definitely has some disadvantages too. Golden frames are very noticeably higher quality than the rest of the frames, so they can cause uneven, fluctuating quality (the finer details are vanishing and coming back periodically). This can be rather distracting if you start noticing this tendency.

Granted, AV1 is much better in this regard than VP9, but this issue is still there.

Last edited by Tommy Carrot; 30th July 2018 at 12:50.
Tommy Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 13:27   #800  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Well, "B-frame pumping" already existed in MPEG-2 times. Very noticeable in the "Animatrix" DVD. May just be a matter of tuning?

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote