Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th March 2019, 23:57   #601  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

maxkill, I think it's obvious that you're in the minority here, and that your opinion on what most people like might not be true. (For an extreme example, I'm not sure anyone wants to go back to the VHS era.) Please drop this pointless argument, no need to be defensive about what looks best to you, no one is telling you that you can't watch the way you want.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 20:18   #602  |  Link
v0lt

@Asmodian
I do not see the pictures with the madvr working scheme on the first page of the topic. Can you return it?
Can you add an HDR-> SDR conversion to the scheme? I want to understand if this is done before or after resize.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 21:52   #603  |  Link
huhn

you can check the OSD it should be done at the end like all color corrections.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 22:53   #604  |  Link
Asmodian

I found a new host that doesn't watermark the images.

Like huhn I assume it is done at the end, right before the 3DLUT. I don't feel comfortable placing it on an image because we don't actually know exactly when it happens. If anyone has any evidence for when HDR->SDR happens I would be happy to take a look.

Last edited by Asmodian; 6th September 2019 at 22:59.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:04   #605  |  Link
Asmodian

After some experimenting with HDR content and "ShowRenderSteps" I have determined that HDR tone mapping actually happens before scaling. This is nice for performance if you do upscaling but bad if you downscale. Tone mapping before scaling might be important to avoid clipping issues after scaling (edit: though that sounds backwards to me...).

I added a new flow chart for UHD HDR content.

Last edited by Asmodian; 2nd October 2019 at 18:35.
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:00   #606  |  Link
chros

Nice, thanks!
Old 4th October 2019, 04:08   #607  |  Link
zerowalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I also wish you would not promote your settings here, they are so much in the wrong direction from what I think is good practice they almost seem like a parody.

They also seem like settings made by someone very new to quality video on PC and madVR. I see these overprocessed videos a lot and find it depressing.

If you like it fine, you can use your settings, but expect pushback if you promote them. I am just expressing my opinion too. I don't want doom9 promoting bad newb madVR settings as great after all.
I would like to hear your suggestion on settings.
I don't care much for processing as i don't want to alter the video,
but rather the up/downscaling, rendering etc.

I currently have:

Chroma upscaling: NGU - Standard, high quality
Image downscaling: SSIM - 2D - strength: 100% - activate anti-ringing filter [relaxed]
Image upscaling: NGU Standard - very high

Rendering - user D3D11 - use a frame for every VSync
CPU Queue 128
GPU Queue 24
All off on trade quality for performance

I basically want as high quality without messing up the video.
I chose these settings (especially the scaling) as i thought they were the best (meaning not the best for me, but best quality of the options available).
I couldn't use NGU on very high for chroma as it seems to use up my GPU sadly enough (GTX 1070).

The queues i am unsure about, from the explanation i guess CPU queue has a hand in subtitles,
and one kinda frustrating bug/issue i have is that when jumping back/forth in a video the subtitles sometimes don't render,
so i have to do another back/forth to re-trigger it.
It would be awesome if that could be solved,
but i don't think many run into it as probably jump around in videos a lot more than normal people do haha xd

Thanks
zerowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2019, 06:07   #608  |  Link
Asmodian

I think your settings are generally quite good.

Chroma upscaling: I prefer NGU AA, especially for chroma. Even when using NGU sharp I use NGU AA for chroma. I never set it higher than high for chroma, even with a 2080 Ti and in my SD profiles. Very high doesn't seem to improve real world chroma scaling, it may even harm it. So don't feel like you need a better GPU for that.
Image downscaling: I actually use SSIM - 1D 100% LL AR relaxed, 2D can be a bit much depending on the content and scale factor. 2D is great sometimes but I like 1D more for most 4K -> 1080p downscaling when I want to watch 4K content in a window. Linear light is important for downscaling.
Image upscaling: I like NGU AA very high, especially for animated or non-real life content but NGU AA v.s. NGU Standard is a fairly subtle difference with trade-offs either way. I don't like upscaling and downscaling for scaling factors below 1.5 for doubling or 3x for quadrupling. I also use Jinc AR for upscaling and Lanczos3 LL AR for downscaling after doubling/quadrupling.

There is no reason to set particularly large buffers, it simply spikes the IO and CPU/GPU for longer after a seek or on startup. As long as they are big enough to never get frame drops due to background tasks I set them as low as possible. The defaults are quite good and I use 8/16 for GPU/CPU buffers. I also use D3D11 with present for every vsync.

One setting you forgot to mention was the frames presented in advance. I found 3 to work best for me on Win10 and current Nvidia drivers (436.48), again as low as possible while never getting presentation glitches or frame drops. 8 seems too high.

Dithering is also very important. On my LG C7 and C9 I like ordered dithering but on my previous LCD screens I preferred ED1 or 2. I also much prefer disabling both colored noise and change dither for every frame. In my "Max Quality" settings.bin, linked at the end of the third post in this thread, I set ED1 for "slow" dithering but I actually use ordered dithering for both fast and slow myself. I just couldn't post a "max quality" settings file and not use one of the error diffusion dithering options.

Last edited by Asmodian; 4th October 2019 at 08:25.
Old 13th October 2019, 20:36   #609  |  Link
DMU

Why is the rendering time significantly longer in OS HDR than in AMD HDR?
Screenshot.
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 12:05   #610  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Dithering is also very important. On my LG C7 and C9 I like ordered dithering but on my previous LCD screens I preferred ED1 or 2. I also much prefer disabling both colored noise and change dither for every frame.
That's interesting, can you explain why? Do you have any content to reliably test it with?
I used ED2 (both options were checked) for ~2 months now and sometimes noticed that something is odd, although I couldn't really tell why (maybe it was the source as well).
Now I switched back to Ordered dithering and I'll try to wait for a content to feel the above
Old 17th October 2019, 01:19   #611  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Weird video resolution

Hey there
Can someone help me figure this out!

Why is my video concerting to a different resolution?

I don’t see any setting with that resolution...

The movie won’t really play. A few frames a minute..
Attached Images

Cowboydude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2019, 01:55   #612  |  Link
Asmodian

Please attach images somewhere else and post a link, it takes a long time to get attachments approved here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
That's interesting, can you explain why? Do you have any content to reliably test it with?
I don't really. Testing dithering options at 8 bit or higher always feels a bit... placebo?

I have noticed colored dithering being on before, and been very happy to be able to turn it off, but I couldn't actually say how I noticed or why I cared.
Old 17th October 2019, 02:56   #613  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Image upscaling: I like NGU AA very high, especially for animated or non-real life content but NGU AA v.s. NGU Standard is a fairly subtle difference with trade-offs either way. I don't like upscaling and downscaling for scaling factors below 1.5 for doubling or 3x for quadrupling. I also use Jinc AR for upscaling and Lanczos3 LL AR for downscaling after doubling/quadrupling.
With NGU Standard you can do quadrupling, but not with NGU AA, so quadrupling is better for upscaling 720p to 2160p ?
Any reason to choose Lanczos3 LL AR instead of SSIM - 1D 100% LL AR or Bicubic 150 LL AR after doubling/quadrupling since they cost the same performance I think ?
Thank you.
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2019, 19:14   #614  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post
With NGU Standard you can do quadrupling, but not with NGU AA, so quadrupling is better for upscaling 720p to 2160p ?
Not in my opinion. NGU direct quadrupling is lower quality than NGU 2x+2x, but it is also faster. This is a complicated performance/quality tradeoff but if you can do NGU very high 2x followed by NGU high 2x it should be better than NGU very high direct 4x.

Quote:
Any reason to choose Lanczos3 LL AR instead of SSIM - 1D 100% LL AR or Bicubic 150 LL AR after doubling/quadrupling since they cost the same performance I think ?
Thank you.
Lanczos is much easier than SSIM 1D, but it is actually a little harder than Bicubic 150. I find downscaling after quadrupling does not noticeably benefit from SSIM and lanczos is quite fast and offers mostly artifact free downscaling. Bicubic 150 is great when you need it really fast but it not superior to the spline family (lanczos/spline) in my experiance.

SSIM can even preserve NGU artifacts too well.. at least maybe in ways I would have trouble proving... but it offers no obvious improvements.
Old 17th October 2019, 20:27   #615  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboydude99 View Post
Hey there
Can someone help me figure this out!

Why is my video concerting to a different resolution?

I don’t see any setting with that resolution...

The movie won’t really play. A few frames a minute..
Quote:
Please attach images somewhere else and post a link, it takes a long time to get attachments approved here.
As Asmodian already said, upload also here to Google drive or whatever so we can view it.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2019, 02:20   #616  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Not in my opinion. NGU direct quadrupling is lower quality than NGU 2x+2x, but it is also faster. This is a complicated performance/quality tradeoff but if you can do NGU very high 2x followed by NGU high 2x it should be better than NGU very high direct 4x.
Except for NGU AA, I can't find the way to set NGU 2x+2x, can you ?
But in my eyes NGU Sharp very high 2x > Jinc AR looks better than NGU Sharp very high direct 4x <SSIM 1D. You're right, thanks.

Last edited by nsnhd; 19th October 2019 at 03:03.
Old 19th October 2019, 02:23   #617  |  Link
huhn

NGU AA is always x2 and you can use it to do x2 two times.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2019, 03:01   #618  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
NGU AA is always x2 and you can use it to do x2 two times.
Yeah, but I can't do it for other NGU's
Old 19th October 2019, 09:41   #619  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Yeah, but I can't do it for other NGU's
Yes you can, simply set luma quadrupling to 'double again'
Old 19th October 2019, 12:57   #620  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Yes you can, simply set luma quadrupling to 'double again'
Thanks, upscaling 720p to 2160p works for NGU very high-NGU high with gtx 1060 6gb, though I have to lower the chroma of NGU to Normal (Bicubic60 AR)