Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 26th October 2016, 07:36   #25101  |  Link
Sharc

See changes.txt, and a few posts before:
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=25096

r:Sharpen(0.15)

Last edited by Sharc; 26th October 2016 at 07:56.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 08:40   #25102  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
See changes.txt, and a few posts before:
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=25096

r:Sharpen(0.15)
Yeah, I know Bro, but I'm afraid that was to confusing to me. Besides it just said add the 'letter'; it didn't show the exact syntax, or if it did I didn't see it.

So, thanks for not just throwing me the link that I just saw anyway 2 posts ago, but I appreciate you actually including the line of script so I could see how it looks.

I STILL don't know whether I have to add the 'r' to EACH line of code though... So, do I do it like this:

r:Sharpen()
r:deen()
r:Crop()

etc...?

Last edited by Lathe; 26th October 2016 at 08:42.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 12:20   #25103  |  Link
Sharc

How about making few quick tests yourself ???
Use one of your short mkv and see what you get in BD-RBs scripts. It takes you few minutes, often faster than posting back and forth.
Old 26th October 2016, 14:45   #25104  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Yeah, I know Bro, but I'm afraid that was to confusing to me. Besides it just said add the 'letter'; it didn't show the exact syntax, or if it did I didn't see it.

So, thanks for not just throwing me the link that I just saw anyway 2 posts ago, but I appreciate you actually including the line of script so I could see how it looks.

I STILL don't know whether I have to add the 'r' to EACH line of code though... So, do I do it like this:

r:deen()
r:Crop()

etc...?
You add the prefix to any line to want to clarify -- so you may have one line with an "r:" prefix, another with a "i:r:" prefix, and another with none. The "r:" would be included with any line to which you want it to apply. "r:" just moves where the filter is placed in the AVS file. The fact that they are called prefixes means they go before the filter. But, of course, English isn't everyone's first language -- so I guess I could have made that clearer.

Last edited by jdobbs; 26th October 2016 at 14:49.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 17:51   #25105  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
BTW, I'm glad you mentioned about AVS script running BEFORE the IVTC! I did not know this because sometimes I want to add filters, but I want to do it AFTER the IVTC is done.
Technically the IVTC procedure is part of the AVS script.

But, running filters after the IVTC is a good idea, mainly because there will be less frames to work with and, in theory, won't take as long. It is also possible that a filter could screw with IVTC frame detection.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 18:58   #25106  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Technically the IVTC procedure is part of the AVS script.

But, running filters after the IVTC is a good idea, mainly because there will be less frames to work with and, in theory, won't take as long. It is also possible that a filter could screw with IVTC frame detection.
Exactly. Most of the time you want filters to work on the progressive output, not the telecined source.
Old 27th October 2016, 01:04   #25107  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
You add the prefix to any line to want to clarify -- so you may have one line with an "r:" prefix, another with a "i:r:" prefix, and another with none. The "r:" would be included with any line to which you want it to apply. "r:" just moves where the filter is placed in the AVS file. The fact that they are called prefixes means they go before the filter. But, of course, English isn't everyone's first language -- so I guess I could have made that clearer.
Thanks JD...

Okay, I will go back and read it VERY carefully; granted, I might have just quickly scanned through it. Maybe it DOES say there specifically to start a script line with the letter first and then a ':' immediately after it and then leave a space and then place your code...

But, despite Sharc's snarkiness, I AM glad that he brought this up because I was totally unaware of it...
Old 27th October 2016, 01:09   #25108  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Code:
July 8th, 2010
- Added an AVS filter editor to the SETUP dialog.  This
  will allow you to add AVS filters to files.  Note that
  bug reports WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED when filters are in
  use (as errors are almost always caused by the filter
  usage).  You can add "E:", "F:", "I:", or "P:" as a 
  prefix to a line added in the filter editor.  The 
  prefixes represent "Extras", "Feature", "Interlaced", 
  and "Progressive" respectively.  When specified, the 
  prefix will limit that filter to usage only when the 
  source to be encoded matches the prefix.  For example, 
  if specifying "E:filter1()" the filter "filter1()" 
  would only be applied to segments that are determined 
  to be extras.  Setting "e:i:filter2()" limits use of 
  "filter2()" to segments that are extras -- and are 
  also interlaced.
November 28th, 2011
- Added a new prefix for filter editing.  By adding
  the "r:" prefix, BD-RB will add the specified
  filter after the resizing stage (rather than the
  default of before).  Note: If using more than one 
  prefix, the "r:" must be the last in the series.
Also:

"a:" filter applies to the audio AVS
"m:" filter applies only to menus

Notes:

1. You can use either Upper or Lower case in the filter prefixes, it doesn't matter...
2. On a series disc, where there are multiple episodes -- don't use "F:" because it will only apply to the largest episode
Yep, you do indeed state it pretty clearly. My humble apologies for not reading it carefully...

Actually, and I hope I'm not being too impulsive AGAIN, but it appears in your examples above that there is NOT a space between the prefix letter & colon. It looks like it runs together. So, I'm glad you helped me clarify that.

Last edited by Lathe; 27th October 2016 at 01:13.
Old 27th October 2016, 02:42   #25109  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Yep, you do indeed state it pretty clearly. My humble apologies for not reading it carefully...

Actually, and I hope I'm not being too impulsive AGAIN, but it appears in your examples above that there is NOT a space between the prefix letter & colon. It looks like it runs together. So, I'm glad you helped me clarify that.
You can't have a space between the letter and the colon. If you do, BD-RB won't recognize it as a prefix, and you'll get an error when you try to encode.

I also think I left one out. You can use "s:" to apply a filter only to secondary video (such as the picture-in-picture commentaries).

Last edited by jdobbs; 27th October 2016 at 02:44.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 07:13   #25110  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
You can't have a space between the letter and the colon. If you do, BD-RB won't recognize it as a prefix, and you'll get an error when you try to encode.

I also think I left one out. You can use "s:" to apply a filter only to secondary video (such as the picture-in-picture commentaries).
I was referring to the space between the colon and the function r: Sharpen() That was my first impression, but according to your examples above, it appears that there is NO space between, so the correct way would be:

Old 27th October 2016, 08:04   #25111  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
....But, despite Sharc's snarkiness, I AM glad that he brought this up because I was totally unaware of it...
As a non-native English speaker I am always keen to add new words to my limited vocabulary.
So I asked Google Translator for translating "snarkiness" but it didn't find anything. Or did you mean "sharciness"? So, curious as I am, I probed further and eventually found the meaning of "snarky". Point taken, thanks! (Of course, I could also have posted asking you for help ).

Last edited by Sharc; 27th October 2016 at 08:12.
Old 27th October 2016, 08:46   #25112  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
As a non-native English speaker I am always keen to add new words to my limited vocabulary.
So I asked Google Translator for translating "snarkiness" but it didn't find anything. Or did you mean "sharciness"? So, curious as I am, I probed further and eventually found the meaning of "snarky". Point taken, thanks! (Of course, I could also have posted asking you for help ).
Well, well now... I do believe that there is hope for you yet Sharc...

... Wait a second... it just dawned on me that you are indeed STILL ripping on me you ^@@#*!! B@stard!

Last edited by Lathe; 27th October 2016 at 08:48.
Old 27th October 2016, 10:40   #25113  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Well, well now... I do believe that there is hope for you yet Sharc...

... Wait a second... it just dawned on me that you are indeed STILL ripping on me you ^@@#*!! B@stard!
Darn..., lost again in Google translations .... but I assume it's something positive.....

Last edited by Sharc; 27th October 2016 at 10:46.
Old 27th October 2016, 15:05   #25114  |  Link
jdobbs

Yeah. He maybe he meant "bestard"!

"best" - of the highest quality, excellence, or standing

suffix "ard" - a suffix forming nouns that denote persons who regularly engage in an activity, or who are characterized in a certain way, as indicated by the stem; now usually pejorative

So he was saying you are a person who regularly engages in an activity of the highest quality. Oh... how it fills my heart.
Old 27th October 2016, 20:20   #25115  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:

suffix "ard" - a suffix forming nouns that denote persons who regularly engage in an activity, or who are characterized in a certain way, as indicated by the stem; now usually pejorative

So he was saying you are a person who regularly engages in an activity of the highest quality. Oh... how it fills my heart.
Oh boy...
Old 27th October 2016, 21:28   #25116  |  Link
gonca

Quote:

You're good, real good
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 21:45   #25117  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
You're good, real good
I was partially familiar with this one... because of the number of times I've been referred to as a "dullard".
Old 27th October 2016, 22:50   #25118  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:

Ahhh..., Thank you jdobbs for enlightening me.
And thank you Lathe for the flowers
Old 28th October 2016, 02:25   #25119  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Ahhh..., Thank you jdobbs for enlightening me.
And thank you Lathe for the flowers
Geez...
Old 28th October 2016, 14:47   #25120  |  Link
Peter_A

Apologies, if these questions have been asked and answered already...

When importing an MKV file and outputting to BD, does BD Rebuilder always re-encode the video stream, or does it only do so if the input stream is non-compliant in some way? I ask, because I have an MKV file that when I convert to BD using tsMuxer, I have issues playing on a standalone player. If I import the same MKV file into BD Rebuilder and convert to BD, I see that BD Rebuilder re-encodes the video (not due to size, since it's much smaller than the chosen output size). So, I'm curious if BD Rebuilder was able to tell that the video was non-compliant in some way or if it just always re-encodes.

Another question, which may be off-topic, but is there an easy way to tell if the video stream in an MKV file is BD-compliant? I've converted many MKVs to BD, without issue, simply using tsMuxer, but I've had issues with a handful of them and am unsure how to tell ahead of time which will be the problem ones. I've viewed the details in MediaInfo, but I'm not sure what the offending properties are (or if they'd show up there at all). They are all 1920x1080(p) and have profile 4.1.

Thanks in advance, for any help that can be provided.
Peter_A is offline   Reply With Quote