Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 23rd May 2007, 17:11   #1  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

[Avidemux] ***FAQ*** <2008-10-02>

Avidemux main window (QT4 Interface)

Avidemux main window (GTK+ Interface)

Avidemux "Filter Manager" window

What the heck is Avidemux?

Imagine an application which does everything VirtualDub can do, but runs on various platforms, supports a lot of containers, comes with all Codecs you need built-in and doesn't use the nasty VfW interface. That applications is Avidemux! And now the "official" version: Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It's graphical user interface looks pretty similar to VirtualDub and most features known from VirtualDub are available too. Avidemux natively supports a great number of file types, such as AVI, MPEG, VOB, TS, MP4, ASF, OGM, MKV and FLV. At the same time Avidemux natively supports a wide range of Video/Audio formats, including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 ASP, H.264/AVC, DV, HuffYUV, MP3, AAC, AC-3 and Vorbis. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities. Video-DVD or (S)VCD compliant streams can be created with easy-to-use "Auto" wizards. Multi-threading is supported!

What OS is Avidemux availabe for and who made it?

Avidemux is developed as a cross-platform application. It is available for Linux, BSD, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows under the GNU GPL license. The program was written from scratch by Mean <fixounet at free dot fr>, but code from other people and projects has been used as well. Avidemux is not a front-end to MPlayer/MEncoder, ffmpeg or anything else! Avidemux is a "standalone" application and it's fully self-contained. There are absolutely no dependencies, expect for the libraries that ship with Avidemux. Most of the Win32 development is done by Gruntster now, who has done some great improvements. Patches, translations and bug reports are always welcome.

Where can I get Avidemux?

The official Avidemux web-site is http://www.avidemux.org/. You can download pre-compiled binaries for the Windows platform from the official site, but those builds are not updated very often! Therefore it's highly recommended to grab the latest SVN build from Gruntster's web-site at http://avidemux.razorbyte.com.au/ or http://mulder.dummwiedeutsch.de/. Gruntster's builds are updated almost daily, so they contain the latest fixes and improvements. Pre-compiled binaries for MacOS/Intel can be found at http://harryvanderwolf.dyndns.org/. If you want to compile Avidemux yourself, you can grab the sources directly from the SVN server at svn://svn.berlios.de/avidemux/. A lot of useful information about Avidemux, compile instructions and guides can be found in the Avidemux Wiki at http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/. For bug reports and feature requests, please visit the forum at http://www.avidemux.org/admForum/.

What encoders are supported by Avidemux?

Avidemux comes with several video encoders built-in: Xvid (MPEG-4 ASP), x264 (H.264 aka AVC), libavcodec (MPEG-4 ASP, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, FLV, HuffYUV, FFV1, MJPEG, H.263, DV) and mpeg2enc (MPEG-1, MPEG-2). Also it includes various audio encoders: LAME (MP3), FAAC (LC-AAC), Aften (AC3), Ogg Vorbis and TwoLAME (MP2). Please note that Avidemux does not support the platform-specific and outdated 'Video for Windows' (VfW) interface and it never will! This means there is absolutely no way to use DivX (or any other VfW-based Codecs) with Avidemux! But don't worry: Avidemux will open all files, that were encoded with DivX, just fine. Avidemux simply uses it's own (internal) MPEG-4 decoder instead of the proprietary DivX decoder. Furthermore the files encoded with Avidemux and Xvid will play 100% fine on a "DivX certified" player, as long as you use the appropriate encoder settings...

What video filters are supported by Avidemux?

Avidemux comes with a wide range of video filters built-in. Most of those filters were ported from MPlayer, VirtaulDub or Avisynth. There are filters for Cropping, Resizing (Bilinear, Bicubic and Lanczos) and Expanding. For processing of interlaced video, there are various Deinterlacing and IVTC filters (e.g. Yadif, TDeint, Kernel Deinterlacer, Smart Deinterlace, mcDeinterlace, DGBob and Decomb Telecide). Furthermore there are filters for Denoising (FluxSmooth, denoise3d/hqdn3d, Stabilize, Temporal Cleaner, etc.), Sharpening (MSharpen, asharp, etc.), Color Correction and many more. Last but not least there is a new plugin system for 'external' video filters now. So you can add additional filters to Avidemux without re-compiling!

How do I open Avisynth scripts in Avidemux?

Opening Avisynth scripts in Avidemux is a little bit tricky: First of all you have to make sure that Avisynth is installed properly on your computer. Then you must to open the AVS script file with the AVSProxy (avsproxy.exe), which ships with Avidemux. Once the AVSProxy is running, you can go back to the Avidemux main application and select 'Connect to avsproxy' from the 'File' menu. Please note that audio input is not supported via AVSProxy yet. There also is a GUI for the AVSProxy (avsproxy_gui.exe), which hopefully makes your life easier...

Why there are different front-end/execuatbles for Avidemux?

There are currently three different user interfaces available for Avidemux! Each one has it's own executable file: The GTK+ based interface (avidemux2_gtk.exe) is the first graphical user interface that was developed for Avidemux. The Qt4 based interface (avidemux2_qt4.exe) was developed as an alternative to GTK+ and development seems to focus on Qt4 now. Also the QT4 interface offers native M$ Windows look & feel, which most users seem to prefer. Note that you can run the Qt4 interface with "-style" command to change the theme, e.g. "-style cleanlooks" or "-style plastique". Finally there's the CLI version of Avidemux (avidemux2_cli.exe), which runs without any graphical user interface. The CLI interface is used from a console and it's intended for batch processing.

How can I save/load my x264 or Xvid settings in Avidemux?

You can use Avidemux' scripting engine for that purpose: First run Avidemux, open some video file (it doesn't matter which one) and setup the x264/Xvid configuration as you want to save it. Next save your project via "File" -> "Save project as..." to a script file (e.g. my_x264_config.js) and exit Avidemux. Then open the resulting script file with your favorite text editor (e.g. Notepad++) and remove all the unneeded lines. All you need to keep are the "app = new Avidemux()" and the "app.video.codec(...)" lines. If you also want to save the audio Codec config, then keep the "app.audio.codec(...)" line too. Finally save the script file to the "C:\Documents and Settings\John Doe\Application Data\avidemux\custom" directory. From now on your script will show up in the "custom" menu in Avidemux' main window. Simply run that script to restore your configuration. The script might look like this:
var app = new Avidemux();
//** Video Codec conf **
app.video.codec("X264","AQ=22","188 00 00 00 00 00 00 ..... 00 00 ");
//** Audio **
app.audio.codec("lame",128,12,"00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ");
//End of script

How do I open several files/segments as one big file?

Run Avidemux and open the first file via "File" -> "Open...". Now you can append all the other files/segments: Simply use "File" -> "Append..." for each file you like to add. Please note that all files need to be in the same format! Furthermore they all need to have the same resolution and the same framerate. If you want to merge files with different formats, framerates or resolutions, then you must convert (re-encode) the individual files to a uniform format before joining them together!

Why do my MPEG-2 files get out of sync when I cut/edit them in Avidemux?

Captured MPEG files are generally from DVB S/T (in MPEG TS format) or from IVTV based cards or any other card with hardware MPEG-2 encoding (in MPEG PS format). These captures often contain transmission errors which end up as missing or broken frames! A video player (MPC, MPlayer, xine, VLC, etc.) will constantly re-sync the streams using the timing information embedded in the stream. Avidemux will not! Apart from the constant shift, which is easily recoverable using the timeshift filter, it will result in a growing synchronisation issue when encoding or transcoding. Even saving without re-encoding will be async! MythTV recordings are a prime example of this problem: The audio will be offset by approximately -330 ms at the start of the recording and the drift throughout the duration of the recording. Please note that not all MythTV recordings have this problem, just some depending on the software and hardware configuration. The only 100% reliable way to fix your MPEG-2 files is to use ProjectX. You can get ProjectX from http://project-x.sourceforge.net/, a tutorial can be found at http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/inde...itle=Project_X.

How can I set the target filesize (e.g. 700 MB) in Avidemux?

If you want to encode your video to a specific filesize, e.g. 700 MB to fit on a CD-R, you need to use the "2 Pass" encoding mode. The 2-Pass mode is available for Xvid and x264 as well as for the MPEG-1/MPEG-2 encoders. It will give you maximum quality for a given filesize. In order to use the 2-Pass mode, choose "Two pass, final/video size" in the video encoder's "Configure" dialog. Then enter the desired size (in MBytes) in the edit box below. But take care: This value applies to the video size only, it does not take the audio size into account! Hence the size entered in the "Configure" dialog will not equal the total size of your output video, unless there is no audio stream in your file. In order to set up the target filesize properly, please use the "Calculator" tool! In the Calculator window choose your output container (e.g. AVI), choose your target media (or custom size) and enter the audio bitrate you have selected. Finally press the "Apply" button, before you close the Calculator window! Now the video encoder has been configured according to your desired total filesize and you can save your video.

Why I don't hear sound in Avidemux?

In most cases this is simply because you didn't enabled sound yet! By default Avidemux's audio output is set to "DUMMY", which means there is no audio output at all. Just go to "Edit" -> "Preferences" and switch to the "Audio" tab. Then change "Audio output" to "WIN32" or whatever suits your OS. Finally click the OK button. Now you should hear sound.

What do "Copy" mode and "Smart Copy" mean?

In Avidemux you can select "Copy" mode for both, audio and video, which equals "Direct Stream Copy" in VirtualDub. This means the streams will be copied "1:1" from the input file without any processing or re-encoding. Of course you can not apply any audio/video filters in that mode! Unfortunately the "Copy" mode requires the very first frame of your selection to be an I-Frame (Key Frame). That's because video files necessarily have to start with an I-Frame! Nevertheless Avidemux has a nice feature, which is called "Smart Copy". It gets used automatically in case you use the "Copy" mode, but the first frame of your selection is not an I-Frame. SmartCopy will only re-encode the frames that are located before the very first I-Frame. The rest of the video is copied 1:1 from the original video. Hence SmartCopy will only effect the first few seconds of the video (if it all), while the rest will be not be modified at all. Please note that "Smart Copy" is currently limited to MPEG-4 ASP (Xvid, DivX, etc.) video files!

How to enable DTS and AMR-NB support?

The decoders for DTS and AMR-NB aren't distributed with Avidemux due to patent right issues. However Avidemux 2.4 can automatically detect and use these libraries once they're installed. So if you'd like to decode DTS and AMR-NB soundtracks with Avidemux, download the libraries from http://rapidshare.com/files/47541079...win32.zip.html and drop them in your Avidemux folder. To check whether they're installed correctly, have a look at the "Help" -> "Built-in Support" window in Avidemux and search for libdca/amrnb.

Tutorial: How to convert an AVI file to Video-DVD format with Avidemux
http://mulder.dummwiedeutsch.de/etc/...nk/avi2dvd.htm

Tutorial: DVD Authoring Guide for Avidemux (using DVD Styler and ImgBurn)
http://www.avidemux.org/admForum/viewtopic.php?id=3570
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Avidemux_FAQ.2007-12-10.pdf (180.5 KB, 4353 views)
File Type: pdf Avidemux_DVDAuthoringGuide.2007-12-10.pdf (76.3 KB, 3666 views)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 3rd October 2008 at 01:40.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 00:13   #2  |  Link
BigDid
Actually in reserve

Congratulations and thanks to the FAQ writer

Did
BigDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 11:07   #3  |  Link
Henrikx

I will translate it , for Avidemux Forum Gleitz WIKI.

Edit :
Ready !
Forum Gleitz Avidemux-Wiki (German)

Last edited by Henrikx; 25th May 2007 at 13:27.
Henrikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 20:35   #4  |  Link
joseph5

Does it have something like "Direct Stream Copy"?
joseph5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 22:07   #5  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

Is possible to Copy streams both for audio and video

The cutting fuction, when trimming not at I frames also have a "Smart Rencode" fuction that will rencode only the frames (the few before the I frame) necessary to do the "Direct Stream Copy"

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
buzzqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2007, 10:11   #6  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph5 View Post
Does it have something like "Direct Stream Copy"?
Yes, you can set "Copy" for audio and/or video (as you see on the screenshot above ^^)
Old 26th May 2007, 14:44   #7  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Added a few words on "Copy" and "Smart Copy" to the FAQ

//EDIT

What about moving discussion away from the FAQ thread?

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 26th May 2007 at 14:46.
Old 26th May 2007, 18:55   #8  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

For some reason I cannot edit my post

Maybe one of the admins can do that for me. Text is here:
http://www.mytempdir.com/1339044

// EDIT

Seems that weird vBulletin problem is fixed for now

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 29th May 2007 at 14:59.
Old 15th July 2007, 22:01   #9  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Tutorial: How to convert an AVI file to Video-DVD with Avidemux
Old 20th September 2007, 17:07   #10  |  Link
marc999

So what happens if your file doesn't start with an I-frame and isn't MPEG-4 ASP video (and therefore you can't use Smart Copy)? Does that mean Avidemux will re-encode the video even though you selected "Copy"? If so, what would be the quality loss expected? What percent of files don't start with an I-frame?
marc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 17:26   #11  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc999 View Post
So what happens if your file doesn't start with an I-frame and isn't MPEG-4 ASP video (and therefore you can't use Smart Copy)?
You simply get a "The first frame is not an intra frame!" error message
(BTW: You could have found out that yourself by simply giving it a try ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc999 View Post
What percent of files don't start with an I-frame?
Every file unavoidably starts with an I-Frame. If the very first frame was a P-Frame, which frame should it refer to ??? Nevertheless, if you select only a part of the video file, then the first frame of your selection might be a None-I-Frame and that's when "Smart Copy" is used.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 20th September 2007 at 17:50.
Old 20th September 2007, 18:03   #12  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Every file unavoidably starts with an I-Frame. If the very first frame was a P-Frame, which frame should it refer to ??? Nevertheless, if you select only a part of the video file, then the first frame of your selection might be a None-I-Frame and that's when "Smart Copy" is used.
TS might not, and more rarely, AVI might not. (Other formats are usually unrecoverable if missing headers, though any can have a corrupted first frame.) I think avidemux just skips everything up to the next I/IDR/Recovery point, like most tools, but I don't have anything to test with here. (It's a common cause of audio desync if tools don't cut the audio as well. If I find some ts like that I'll test.)
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 18:07   #13  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
TS might not, and more rarely, AVI might not. (Other formats are usually unrecoverable if missing headers, though any can have a corrupted first frame.) I think avidemux just skips everything up to the next I/IDR/Recovery point, like most tools, but I don't have anything to test with here. (It's a common cause of audio desync if tools don't cut the audio as well. If I find some ts like that I'll test.)
I was referring to proper/complete files. Corrupted files can contain all kinds of weird things of course...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 20th September 2007 at 18:13.
Old 20th September 2007, 18:12   #14  |  Link
marc999

Thanks to you both!
marc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 21:27   #15  |  Link
trodas
WinXP SP3 suxx :-/

Since VdubMod failed miserably with big mkv file and two audio tracks for me ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=131038 ) I tried Avidemux.

First at all, it lack the ability to edit the streams, like Vdub Mod does, so it is not the "same functionality" as claimed.

Second - it from 2h 10min movie take only first about 12 minutes.

And it somewhat complain about the bframes ???

I used avidemux_2.4_r3658_win32
Old 21st October 2007, 21:50   #16  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas View Post
First at all, it lack the ability to edit the streams, like Vdub Mod does, so it is not the "same functionality" as claimed.
VirtualDubMod was not mentioned in the FAQ at all!
Also note that in Avidemux you can find the Audio Streams at Audio -> Main Track.
Quote:
Second - it from 2h 10min movie take only first about 12 minutes.
MKV support still is a "new" feature under development. If you find a file that does not work yet, please post your problem at the Avidemux forum. And if you do so, don't forget to provide a sample file that shows the problem! I'm sure Mean will look at your problem ASAP... Also note that VirtaulDubMod is a "dead" (discontinued) project and it's implementation of MKV is out-of-date!
Quote:
And it somewhat complain about the bframes ???
Well, as the message says: If your video contains b-frames, you need to use the so-called "special" mode. In that mode you will loose frame accuracy, yes. But there is no OpenSource video editor available yet, which is able to handle b-frames in a frame-accurate way! VirtualDub definitely does not do it. I heard some commercial editors actually do that, but I can't confirm. Also Mean said that "proper" b-frame support is a planned feature for the next major version of Avidemux...

// EDIT

Information from official Matroska site:
Quote:
VirtualDubMOD

Project is more or less abandoned, nobody is working on it actively. Also, it can't support most of the modern MKV files anymore. Since version 1.5.10.1 it can handle the new lacing method. Better use mkvtoolnix or avi-mux GUI.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 21st October 2007 at 22:09.
Old 25th November 2007, 21:07   #17  |  Link
blizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
VirtualDubMod was not mentioned in the FAQ at all!
Also note that in Avidemux you can find the Audio Streams at Audio -> Main Track.

MKV support still is a "new" feature under development. If you find a file that does not work yet, please post your problem at the Avidemux forum. And if you do so, don't forget to provide a sample file that shows the problem! I'm sure Mean will look at your problem ASAP... Also note that VirtaulDubMod is a "dead" (discontinued) project and it's implementation of MKV is out-of-date!
Well, as the message says: If your video contains b-frames, you need to use the so-called "special" mode. In that mode you will loose frame accuracy, yes. But there is no OpenSource video editor available yet, which is able to handle b-frames in a frame-accurate way! VirtualDub definitely does not do it. I heard some commercial editors actually do that, but I can't confirm. Also Mean said that "proper" b-frame support is a planned feature for the next major version of Avidemux...

// EDIT

Information from official Matroska site:
I will add to Lord Mulders comment that you will be in a more stable user environment (GUI) with GTK+ then with QT4. That photo in your post show a QT interface.

There are some options that aren't accessible from QT interface like iPOD profile in Auto (Auto>iPOD), so it is better to make sure that problem in QT is also there in GTK+ before you make any bug report as GTK+ are the recommended GUI for AVIdemux for now. QT might look good, but is still in heavy development and there are difference in how GTK+ and QT work as different set of libraries for cross platform development. That is what I understand from googling around on both GTK+ and QT.

Quote:
Why there are different versions of Avidemux?
There are currently three different user interfaces available for Avidemux. Each one has it's own executable file: The GTK+ based interface (avidemux2_gtk.exe) is the first graphical user interface that was developed for Avidemux and it still is the primary (recommended) one; the QT4 based interface (avidemux2_qt4.exe) is still under development and it's not completely working yet; and the CLI version of Avidemux (avidemux2_cli.exe) runs without any graphical user interface, because it's intended for batch processing.

Quote from first post about AVIdemux. I marked that part to make clear that statement about recommended GUI.
blizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 01:16   #18  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

some updates + new screenshots
Old 30th November 2007, 21:07   #19  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

I have just updated the "AVI to DVD" guide:

Please note that your need Flash Player to watch that

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 2nd December 2007 at 16:12.
Old 18th January 2008, 10:24   #20  |  Link
Mgz

Quote:
video encoders built-in: Xvid (MPEG-4 ASP), x264 (H.264 aka AVC), libavcodec (MPEG-4 ASP, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, FLV, HuffYUV, FFV1, MJPEG, H.263, DV) and mpeg2enc (MPEG-1, MPEG-2). Also it includes various audio encoders: LAME (MP3), FAAC (LC-AAC), Aften (AC3), Ogg Vorbis and TwoLAME (MP2)
do those encoders and audio codecs support multi-thread?
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avidemux, faq