Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th August 2011, 14:03   #11  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
Can you detect any visible change when switching between the two?
Hard to say, but interestingly using the 'reset' one, dispcalGUI reports it as only 99.6% of grayscale values. For 0-128 output=input. For 129-255 output=input-1. Using the 'linear' shows 100% of grayscale input=output 0-255. For all we know, that could just be a bug in dispcalGUI though.

I'm thinking the 'reset' style ramp one must be a legacy thing or misinterpretation, since looking back, that is what older calibration programs like ProfileMaker 5 use.

Quote:
Maximum value for each color is 65280 instead of 65535. Why? Maximum number of 8-bit number is 0xFF (255). Maximum number of gradations for each channel is 256.

255 * 256 = 65280
A Google search came up with the above by a forum poster, but I'm not sure that is correct logic. 8-bit values range from 0-255 (256) which matches up with the 0-255 (256) gradations. Maybe there was a bug in old GPU hardware or drivers which made 8-bit 0x0 null and mapped 0x1 to 0 or was it just a case of poor documentation by Microsoft confusing people? Not something I think you need to worry about now, since there seems to have been a transition at some point to using 65535 as the maximum value in modern calibration software.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 25th August 2011 at 14:06.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3dlut, argyllcms, color management, icc, madvr, ti3, ycms