Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th May 2018, 15:23   #1  |  Link
K.i.N.G

AVX512 vs Threadripper in x265

Im currently looking to buy a new render/encoding system.

I can't decide if I should get the threadripper 1950x or the i9 7900x... Looking at several benchmarks and reviews, Threadripper seems to perform really well overall, but what is making me doubt is the lack of AVX512 support.

Since I'm also going to offload a lot of 3D rendering to this system it might be important, but it's hard to tell because I currently I don't know any rendering software that already has AVX512 support.
So I cant find any benchmarks that show me how much of a difference it'll make.

I've always hold off buying a new system because I read how much difference AVX512 could potentially make...

But looking at x265's AVX512 results posted here it seems not to be really worth it... Or might that be because the AVX512 code is not fully ready/optimized yet (considering its only recently added)?

Also, a bit off topic but 3D rendering (ray-tracing) is totally different so I'm wondering how much of a difference AVX512 can make there... (currently no renderer supports it so I have no clue since I know nothing about coding, instruction sets and related maths).

ahhhrgh choices choices....
K.i.N.G is offline   Reply With Quote