Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 20th May 2019, 21:41   #3181  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

AVStoDVD 2.8.9 Alpha 190519 is available.

Change log:

- Added support to PGS BluRay subtitles
- Added handling and display of MediaInfo BitDepth video tag
- Added support to 8 channels audio source (Downmix.avsi script file updated)
- Improved Muxing routine: better errors handling and switch to FFmpeg (instead of Mplex) when no audio source is present
- Improved usage of FFMS2: now YV12 colorspace is always specified (A2DSource external AviSynth function updated as well)
- Improved AviSynth program info retrieving routine (now using AVSMeter)
- LAV Filters updated to release 0.74.1

Feedbacks and suggestions are welcome, mainly on 8 to 6 audio channels downmix routine, which is very basic.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 22:21   #3182  |  Link
manolito

Thanks a lot for this new version, put it on my test bench already, here's what I think...

As usual I cannot comment on the new subtitle support feature. I don't do BluRay, and I don't ever use subtitles.

The same goes for the 8-channel audio downmix feature. I only do stereo (maybe mono sometimes) and 6-ch audio sources, I never came across an 8-ch audio source. I would suggest to ask Tebasuna about the new downmix.avsi.

The new muxing routine for sources without any audio tracks works fine. The only thing I found is that for such cases the AVS script is not deleted, even if the options to delete helper files are ticked. No big deal. BTW you could have continued using mplex even for video-only sources by omitting the -L option of mplex.

Always specifying the YV12 colorspace option for ffms2 works perfectly.

Adding the ConvertAudioToFloat function to SSRC does not work for PAL speedup or NTSC slowdown. For a command like this:
Quote:
AssumeFPS("pal_film", sync_audio=true).SSRC(48000)
the ConvertAudioToFloat call does not get added. BTW for the sake of consistency you should use ConvertAudioToFloat() with the brackets.

And now really nitpicking...
The new AviSynth detection routine using AVSMeter works nicely, but it sure slows down the AVStoDVD startup. Not too bad on my Core i5 Win 7 laptop, but very much on my ancient desktop machine. (please ignore this...)

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 22nd May 2019 at 00:25.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2019, 20:54   #3183  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Thanks manolito, you are my usual savior

To mitigate the slow start, I can add a message to wait for the ext sw properties to be read.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 22nd May 2019 at 20:57.
Old 23rd May 2019, 07:21   #3184  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
The new AviSynth detection routine using AVSMeter works nicely, but it sure slows down the AVStoDVD startup.
AVSMeter checks all auto-load plugins for compatibility/dependencies/bitness. If you have lots of plugins and a slow CPU, this will slow down the detection process.

AVStoDVD should probably check the "[Plugin errors/warnings]" section of the log file (if present, see example below) and throw an error message if necessary.

Code:
[Plugin errors/warnings]
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cannot load file 'E:/Apps/VideoTools/AVSPlugins/AutoLoad/LSMASHSource.dll'. Platform returned code 127:
The specified procedure could not be found.

Note: You may need a newer OS version in order to use this plugin
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alternatively, I may add a switch for basic Avisynth info without the plugin parsing.
Old 24th May 2019, 01:28   #3185  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Maybe I will add a small guide how to use AVS+ with my FFmpeg_VBR and HCenc_Mod plugins to my plugin distribution...
Done...

Download link is at the bottom of this post:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...58#post1814958

Cheers
manolito
Old 28th May 2019, 02:04   #3186  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
To mitigate the slow start, I can add a message to wait for the ext sw properties to be read.
No need for this any more...

I had a PM exchange with Groucho2004, and he agreed to compile a modded version of AVSMeter 2.6.5 especially for AVStoDVD. This modded version does not check the AVS autoload plugins at all making it way faster than the original version. On my Win7 computer with AVS+ there is almost no startup delay at all, and on my ancient WinXP machine the delay was reduced from more than 15 seconds to less than 3 seconds.

Here is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1ekmfrhlk..._mod01.7z?dl=1

Please include this version with the next AVStoDVD versions, and many thanks to Groucho 2004...

Cheers
manolito
Old 29th May 2019, 17:30   #3187  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Great! Special release for A2D! Wow! Thanks manolito and Groucho2004. I will check it out ASAP.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 1st June 2019, 10:53   #3188  |  Link
dr_ml422

Thank you very much manolito for all your help and your input! everything seems to be working fine with AVSTODVD now, especially after I installed Java. I think that it probably was the source a bit that was a bit dark and so when putting it through AVS to DVD it just came out just a little bit darker but it was dark to begin with. The movie was "Unforgiven" and that movie is dark to begin with anyway. Yes I stayed with the 32-bit applications myself because as I said many of the 64-bit applications just don't take well for whatever reason. I don't think they pay too much mind to it seeing that here in the states we're way behind in a lot of things especially with 64-bit computing. There's not too much of a speed gain that you will get with 64-bit and video work. The only observable gains that you will ever get with video work and encoding is having at least a quad-core and up CPU and of course the appropriate Ram to go with it.

if there's anything that needs to be looked at would be the preview window which as I noticed all you have to do if it doesn't show up the first time is just close it and open it up again and then you will get the picture going. other than that everything has been working very very well with Windows 10 64-bit home premium and the last build before the next 1809 update.

Manolito I'm going to take a look at DVD Styler as it's been getting a lot a lot of positive reviews online if you haven't noticed it yet. Seems they've been keeping up with it and keeping it present with any bugs and fixes etc etc.

Yes you're correct about the ffmpeg encoder and how to use it correctly. I'm not that skilled knowing how to be as advanced user with those kind of things, the only thing I've seen is that VSO's convert x to DVD and anything else they use is based on the ffmpeg encoder and they seem to be doing very very well with that app. They also have some kind of optimization going on as well that I don't know about which will give you almost always a two-point 6 GB more less DVD with excellent quality.

My Specs if anyone is going to upgrade their PC.

ASRock B450M mobo
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
32gb Crucial Ballistic DDR4 Ram
Crucial 500gb NVme SSD
POWERSPEC Midtower

I'm getting 18 mins. or less with DVD-RB Pro.
1200fps with DVDFab Converter and their default settings for MKV etc...
AVStoDVD also about 18mins.

There might be a hole in the Cinavia protection when ripping to mp4 etc... I'm not 100% sure but it seems like it just kicks in when copying to DVD.
If you have a Blu-ray drive some are copying ultra hd straight to the drive also. They got hip to it with one of the LG drives.
This is the time to rack up with the DVDs as they're not paying attention to them anymore like they used to. so I went back and got some old downloads from the old Goodies which we all know without naming them which I just name one DVD shrink and the other software that came before image burn and the other one that's associated with those two and I'm getting some very very quality clean Rips!
dr_ml422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 12:30   #3189  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
if there's anything that needs to be looked at would be the preview window which as I noticed all you have to do if it doesn't show up the first time is just close it and open it up again and then you will get the picture going.
Are you aware that you can specify to use a different external player for the preview? Go to "Preferences -> Paths" and check out if other players work better for you...
Old 16th June 2019, 22:35   #3190  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Just uploaded latest 2.8.9 Alpha.

Cumulative 2.8.9 change log:

- Some bugs fixed
- Added support to PGS BluRay subtitles
- Added handling and display of MediaInfo BitDepth video tag
- Added support to 8 channels audio source (Downmix.avsi script file updated)
- Improved Muxing routine: better errors handling and switch to FFmpeg (instead of Mplex) when no audio source is present
- Improved usage of FFMS2: now YV12 colorspace is always specified (A2DSource external AviSynth function updated as well)
- Improved AviSynth program info retrieving routine (now using AVSMeter)
- LAV Filters updated to release 0.74.1
- AVSMeter updated to 2.6.5.1 (2.6.5 modded release to improve reading speed)

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 17th June 2019, 11:03   #3191  |  Link
manolito

Yes, I am totally happy with this new version...

All the small issues I found with the previous Alpha are fixed, as far as I am concerned this is a release candidate.

Thanks again
manolito
Old 20th June 2019, 11:03   #3192  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Thanks manolito for the feedback. Just to update the Help section and the 2.8.9 final will be released.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:00   #3193  |  Link
Mike-uk

Hi, Great program and nice to see your still working on it

a few Qs

ive tried to search the internet for my answers but not getting what im after

my source files are 1080p clear clean and sharp as youd expect from modern 1080p source

so ive set all the normal setting in avstodvd to max

but there is the avisynth settings

video and audio filter, and upsize and downsize
would changing any of thouse to a different one make the resulting dvd better ?? im after producing the best quality dvd i can

also source files are 23.9 fps im converting to pal so is pal speedup still the best method for reducing panning jerking on dvd playback ?

thanks

Mike
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 21:40   #3194  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Hi Mike-uk,

first of all thanks for the kind words.

Quality wise, you can start by leaving the default options and judge with your eyes the result. If HCenc VBR 2pass is not auto selected, you can force it in Edit Title > Video > Video Encoder. Then you can play with HCenc Advanced Options.

There are no magic rules to obtain the best result: the "best" depends on the type of video input and your subjective evaluation of the output.

I agree that PAL Speedup is the optimal choice for NTSC-film to PAL conversions.

There is also the possibility to use the ff_vbr plugin by manolito, which brings FFmpeg to its max quality level. I would leave manolito to jump in and to explain how it works.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 24th June 2019, 21:56   #3195  |  Link
Mike-uk

ok thanks for the reply, i will try some of those options
Old 1st July 2019, 14:13   #3196  |  Link
manolito

Sorry for the late reply, I am just back from my annual motorcycle trip...
Austrian and Swiss mountains this time, very nice driving, a little bit too hot for my taste.

The AviSynth source filters do not really have an influence on quality, it's more like some work better on specific source formats than others. The default "A2DSource" is not a source filter by itself, instead it tries several source filters until it finds one which does not issue an error message. It tries the filters in this order: AVISource, DSS2Mod, FFMpegSource, DirectShowSource. Mostly you will end up with DSS2Mod which works very well with most sources.

The different resizers are really a matter of personal taste. Some resizers are sharper than others, often with the downside that they introduce ringing artifacts. My all time favorite is Spline36Resize for upscaling and downscaling, it is very neutral without visible artifacts. BlackmanResize is also a very high quality resizer.

For NTSC-film to PAL conversions the PAL-Speedup method is the most widely used method. It does not introduce judder, but for audio with musical content some folks will notice the audio speedup due to the higher pitch. If you want to speed up audio, but keep the original pitch you can do that by editing the AVS script to use the AviSynth TimeStretch function. But this has a tendency to create audible artifacts, you may want to use external commercial timestretch software which delivers better quality.

A while ago I found an excellent script at VideoHelp which avoids all these disadvantages. Gavino was involved in creating this script, and this always means that it is state of the art...

Progressive 23.976 NTSC to Progressive 25 PAL.avs:
Quote:
# Alternative method avoiding speedup or pulldown.
# No audio speed correction required.
# Insert after the resizer.

# -------------------------------------------------------------

Last = Video
f1=ChangeFPS(24)
f2=Trim(0,-1).AssumeFPS(24) + Trim(1,0).ChangeFPS(24)
Film=Merge(f1,f2)
p1=ChangeFPS(Film,25)
p2=Trim(Film,0,-1).AssumeFPS(25) + Trim(Film,1,0).ChangeFPS(25)
Pal=Merge(p1,p2)
Last = PAL.AssumeFPS(25)
Video = Last

#-------------------------------------------------------------
To use this method you select Pal-Speedup in AVStoDVD. Then paste the above script into the AVS script which was created by AVStoDVD just after the resizer command. Finally you need to delete the whole "AssumeFPS" call (but keep the SSRC or ResampleAudio command).

If you have more questions don't be shy to ask...

Good luck
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 2nd July 2019 at 15:53.
Old 5th July 2019, 12:37   #3197  |  Link
Mike-uk

Thanks manolito
Old 5th July 2019, 12:49   #3198  |  Link
Mike-uk

hmm ok so i edited the avisynth script in avstodvd but it goes red ??, also hcenc says it dont understand the script ??
Old 5th July 2019, 14:55   #3199  |  Link
manolito

Whenever the AVS script in AVStoDVD is edited, it goes red to signal the user that he no longer uses the automatically generated script. This is perfectly normal.

To understand the HCenc error please post your edited script and also the exact HCenc error message...
Old 5th July 2019, 16:25   #3200  |  Link
Mike-uk

ah sorry my bad :P , i wasnt deleting assume fps from audio, all seems ok now