Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th January 2015, 07:49   #1081  |  Link
Blackfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Just a heads up, I pushed an update to the renderscripts that improved the speed of the debanding algorithm quite a bit. In theory this change could change the image quality slightly but as far as I can tell this effect is not noticeable.

Edit: And some tweaks to the SuperRes / SuperChromaRes algorithms.
Great job man, thanks. Testing with SVP now, it seems much less intensive than before, worked flawlessly so far, but need to do more testing before I update the article.
Blackfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 21:36   #1082  |  Link
Anima123

Shiandow,

Mind if you can share with us how's the CalculateSize() supposed to work. I am a little bit confused what it will act if after the 1st round using NEDI, the currentSize already bigger than the targetSize.

I will try the new algorithm later today, with NEDI enabled, to see how it performed. Looks like you already changed how NEDI is utilized in SuperRes to limit it to only the first round.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 22:03   #1083  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
Shiandow,

Mind if you can share with us how's the CalculateSize() supposed to work. I am a little bit confused what it will act if after the 1st round using NEDI, the currentSize already bigger than the targetSize.
What CalculateSize() tries to do is to cut the scaling process into equally sized pieces, making sure that the amount it needs to scale is within certain limits (or as close as it can get). The sizes it picks don't change if NEDI has been used, and in most cases it will simply downscale NEDI to what it thinks is the right size. If there's only one pass then it might decide to upscale, and I just realised that this causes an error if you scale exactly 200%. I should probably fix that.

Quote:
I will try the new algorithm later today, with NEDI enabled, to see how it performed. Looks like you already changed how NEDI is utilized in SuperRes to limit it to only the first round.
That's always been how it worked, the main difference is that NEDI is now done in the L*a*b colourspace, which might improve quality a bit. Anyway, let me know what you think, it's very hard to estimate how all the small changes impact each other.

Edit: Bug should be fixed now.

Last edited by Shiandow; 27th January 2015 at 23:14.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 23:26   #1084  |  Link
Anima123

In the previous version of SuperRes, the image quality reached its max until round 6. I have tried 8 rounds and 10 rounds, it only makes the quality worse. 4-5 seemed a reasonable choice with the previous version.

I will check the latest version, with respect to the image quality, later today.
Old 28th January 2015, 00:29   #1085  |  Link
Blackfyre

I'd like to make a suggestion - multiple chain scripts... is it possible?

For me; with my chain script, adding SuperRes to it with 2 Passes & NEDI disabled in SuperRes configuration works fine with 24FPS and 25FPS files + SVP (can't do more than 2 passes). But 30FPS videos cannot be done, not even with 1 Pass. My videocard can't handle it (HD7970). So it would be great if for example I can tap numpad 1 and switch to chainscript 1 (when watching 24fps and 25fps videos) and tap numpad 2 to switch to chainscript 2 which doesn't have SuperRes added with the rest of my scripts.
Old 28th January 2015, 00:43   #1086  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
I'd like to make a suggestion - multiple chain scripts... is it possible?

For me; with my chain script, adding SuperRes to it with 2 Passes & NEDI disabled in SuperRes configuration works fine with 24FPS and 25FPS files + SVP (can't do more than 2 passes). But 30FPS videos cannot be done, not even with 1 Pass. My videocard can't handle it (HD7970). So it would be great if for example I can tap numpad 1 and switch to chainscript 1 (when watching 24fps and 25fps videos) and tap numpad 2 to switch to chainscript 2 which doesn't have SuperRes added with the rest of my scripts.
If you go to the playerextensions there is a player extension called "Renderscript presets" that allows you to configure multiple script chains, you can then switch between them by selecting the one you want. Unfortunately there's no hotkey for switching presets yet, the whole system still needs some work. You may also need to select the "Preset" renderscript for this to work, this should be done automatically but I noticed it doesn't always do so.

Edit: you could also do it all automatically using a custom render script, but that's still a bit complicated.

Last edited by Shiandow; 28th January 2015 at 00:47.
Old 28th January 2015, 00:55   #1087  |  Link
Blackfyre

Quote:
If you go to the playerextensions there is a player extension called "Renderscript presets" that allows you to configure multiple script chains, you can then switch between them by selecting the one you want. Unfortunately there's no hotkey for switching presets yet, the whole system still needs some work. You may also need to select the "Preset" renderscript for this to work, this should be done automatically but I noticed it doesn't always do so.

Edit: you could also do it all automatically using a custom render script, but that's still a bit complicated.
Thanks for the info... I just noticed that it doesn't work with 25fps and 30fps... only 24fps @ 1080p movies (which have the black bars at the top and bottom, aka 1920x800). Which are being scaled up to my monitor resolution 1440p.

720p @ 24fps wasn't even possible. My videocard isn't strong enough I guess anyway. So I disabled it. I'll just add SuperRes to the chain script when I watch a video that should work with it and remove it when it's not needed.
Old 28th January 2015, 01:57   #1088  |  Link
Anima123

Shiandow, a pm for you has been sent.
Old 28th January 2015, 03:43   #1089  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

Quote:
Thanks for the info... I just noticed that it doesn't work with 25fps and 30fps... only 24fps @ 1080p movies (which have the black bars at the top and bottom, aka 1920x800). Which are being scaled up to my monitor resolution 1440p.

720p @ 24fps wasn't even possible. My videocard isn't strong enough I guess anyway. So I disabled it. I'll just add SuperRes to the chain script when I watch a video that should work with it and remove it when it's not needed.
When you said it doesn't work with 25fps and 30fps, do you mean the preset not working or you encounter frame drops because your GPU isn't fast enough?
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 04:49   #1090  |  Link
Anima123

Just tested the new SuperRes a little bit, this time even without NEDI enabled, the rendering time increasing really fast.

Shiandow, would you please revisit this issue if you have time to do that?

Edit: Quite weird. To playback a 720x404 29.976 file, the rendering time increased quite fast. However, when playback a 576p file, it's steady.

Last edited by Anima123; 28th January 2015 at 05:10.
Old 28th January 2015, 05:27   #1091  |  Link
shaolin95

Guys what am I doing wrong?
I am using the latest x86_2_19_4_2940 with the RenderScripts (MPDN v2.19.0 and above) but it does not work. When I open the player I get this error I attached.
With my other versions I never got that error so not sure what I am missing.
Attached Images

shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 05:29   #1092  |  Link
Zachs

Can't see your PNG attachment - pending approval.
What error is it?

EDIT: Make sure you download both Render Scripts and Player Extensions from the OP download section, and no the separate release from GitHub as they no longer work separately. At some stage, we'll be looking to move Render Scripts into the Player Extensions branch on GitHub to prevent confusions.

Last edited by Zachs; 28th January 2015 at 06:20.
Old 28th January 2015, 07:03   #1093  |  Link
Anima123

Error like the following:
[code]TITLE: SharpDX Error
------------------------------

An unexpected error 'SharpDX.SharpDXException' has occurred.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

HRESULT: [0x887A0005], Module: [SharpDX.DXGI], ApiCode: [DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED/DeviceRemoved], Message: The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.
(SharpDX)

BUTTONS:

&Abort
[/doe]
with version 2.19.4.

Besides, playing back with the latest version, the player will get out of FSE mode when trying to seek the video. This does not occur with 2.19.2.
Old 28th January 2015, 07:57   #1094  |  Link
Zachs

Yeah I think it was introduced in 2.19.3. Will get it fixed.
Old 28th January 2015, 11:33   #1095  |  Link
Zachs

Should be fixed now with v2.19.5.

Just for the record, DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED means MPDN has run into a driver bug and there's not much that could be done.
Old 28th January 2015, 14:21   #1096  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Just tested the new SuperRes a little bit, this time even without NEDI enabled, the rendering time increasing really fast.

Shiandow, would you please revisit this issue if you have time to do that?

Edit: Quite weird. To playback a 720x404 29.976 file, the rendering time increased quite fast. However, when playback a 576p file, it's steady.
That suggests that the problem is caused by allocating too much textures, the new CalculateSize() will allocate a few more textures for larger scaling factors. Perhaps I should add an option to disable that part.

Edit: Does it get even worse when you add debanding?

Last edited by Shiandow; 28th January 2015 at 18:13.
Old 28th January 2015, 21:42   #1097  |  Link
Anima123

Quote:
That suggests that the problem is caused by allocating too much textures, the new CalculateSize() will allocate a few more textures for larger scaling factors. Perhaps I should add an option to disable that part.
Found a guy who has similar problems of Optimus + nVidia 880M system, which was also related to texture usage.
http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/forum/topic/13733923564

It seems that it's the drivers fault, am I right? We will just have to wait until nVidia give us a 'perfect' driver version.

Quote:
Edit: Does it get even worse when you add debanding?
I will test if debanding has any affect on rendering time later today. From my experience, the new debanding code is much more faster than previous version.
Old 28th January 2015, 21:58   #1098  |  Link
Blackfyre

Yeah I agree new debanding is much faster... Also it's not like AMD release perfect drivers. Both AMD & nVidia have been having driver issues.

Edit: Also on a side note, is it possible to add streaming support? for example I have a program called SopCast, in the settings for SopCast I select an external media player, and choose MPC. This allows me to stream a tv channel using Madvr, but I can't set MPDN, it won't run every time. It doesn't have the ability to run a url?

Last edited by Blackfyre; 28th January 2015 at 22:02.
Old 28th January 2015, 23:19   #1099  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
Yeah I agree new debanding is much faster... Also it's not like AMD release perfect drivers. Both AMD & nVidia have been having driver issues.

Edit: Also on a side note, is it possible to add streaming support? for example I have a program called SopCast, in the settings for SopCast I select an external media player, and choose MPC. This allows me to stream a tv channel using Madvr, but I can't set MPDN, it won't run every time. It doesn't have the ability to run a url?
No streaming support - No plans for MPDN to support streaming at the moment either. Not even sure if LAV splitter does streaming...
Old 28th January 2015, 23:26   #1100  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Found a guy who has similar problems of Optimus + nVidia 880M system, which was also related to texture usage.
http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/forum/topic/13733923564

It seems that it's the drivers fault, am I right? We will just have to wait until nVidia give us a 'perfect' driver version.
I wouldn't just wait. Have you posted your issue in the nVidia forums or provided feedback?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct3d, mpdn, nnedi3, opencl, reclock