Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 27th February 2016, 08:38   #41  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=43216
https://torrentfreak.com/images/AACSl.pdf

I admit I haven't investigated further (for I assumed the results are the expected ones).

China will be curbed down soon.
Er, DVDFab has been selling and updating their Bluray decryptor outside the US uninterrupted all along. US users can even access its online database without a problem, they only did the bare minimum to redirect US users to another web site. You should investigate further, they haven't shut down at all.

The UHD statement is most likely because they don't have the technical expertise to immediately crack AACS2, so they're going to have to wait until someone releases (or sells them) a crack.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 08:41   #42  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by candela View Post
Excellent info. I hope someone starts collecting all of the caches and combining them into a super-cache, because AnyDVD is a pretty good piece of software, and it'd be a shame to lose all of that BD+ decryption capability. DVDFab is good too, but both will decrypt some discs that the other won't.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 09:08   #43  |  Link
Sharc

Not sure if the do the great Doom9 Forum a favor when debating too much on this subject, alternative solutions etc.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 10:33   #44  |  Link
James Freeman

What about MakeMKV?
This one seems to be as much compatible as AnyDVD and DVDfab combined.
Based in Russia and constantly updated.

SlySoft claimed that DVDfab "took reference" from them that's why DVDfab is highly compatible.
I wonder if MakeMKV and DVDfab rely on SlySoft servers, we'll wait and see.

Last edited by James Freeman; 27th February 2016 at 10:36.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 15:55   #45  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

I would think it largely depends on user participation/submission.

The MakeMKV forums can get busy.
DVDFab seems to have its share of active user submissions.
But I doubt the both combined come close to the user activity that Slysoft forums had.

The only drawback to using MakeMKV is that you have to remux the entire movie to MKV. Which they have their reasons.
The GUI doesn't support feature sto split on chapters or select a range of video if you want just a sample.
Or just the audio.
I don't know if you can do that with the command line. I haven't really looked into using the command line much.
The devs of MakeMKV also want to limit extra features of using MakeMKV as it's main function is to decrypt and remux to matroska container.
I believe some features in the much older versions were dropped to more accurately reflect the name of the product, rather than trying to create a suite/AiO program.
It's much simpler this way for people who don't want to deal with MKVtoolnix and/or eac3to, etc.

I like DVDFab Passkey because of the possibilities for open remuxing. (like AnyDVD but DVDFab had that promo for lifetime pro (twice).)

My only concern for either remaining product would be lack of user contribution out of pure loyalty to a (now) defunct product.
Whether or not Slysoft comes back, with or without a bang, why not use the resources you are now limited to?

The validity behind the allegations of every other competitor stealing off Slysoft isn't my concern.
Whether or not it can be proven. So far I only read hearsay statements, regardless if it's Slysoft staff making the comments (as it seems to be sarcasm and baiting).
I don't want to get involved with any of that drama.
It's not like DVDfab and MakeMKV schemed together to try run Slysoft into the ground.
There's plenty of shows on Netflix to watch to get your jollies out of cynicism and scandals.

With regards to the new UHD-BD's, I'll only invest in buying them if I get a drive for the PC and then someone decides to work on the decryption.
Otherwise, I have no present interest with the present price tag for complete compatibility ($600 CAD for the player alone...).
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 06:05   #46  |  Link
leon

looks like some of the old members are willing to continue the development :

https://forum.slysoft.com/threads/no...-future.68331/
leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 06:15   #47  |  Link
James Freeman

SlySoft no more, long live https://forum.redfox.bz/ !!!
Old 1st March 2016, 15:24   #48  |  Link
smegolas

Whole thing is very dubious.
smegolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 15:39   #49  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
The only drawback to using MakeMKV is that you have to remux the entire movie to MKV.
You mean it cannot backup to a folder? I'm sure it can.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 18:35   #50  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
You mean it cannot backup to a folder? I'm sure it can.
Yes it can.

Let me rephrase: It sucks if you want just a 5 minute clip or a single chapter (or just the audio).

AnyDVD / Passkey allowed you to use MKVtoolnix to retrieve any such range you desired.

Up until DVDFab had two free lifetime pro giveaways, you don't know how many times I had to remux an entire movie just for one chapter.
Or just the audio stream.

The only time I use full folder backup now is if Passkey can't decrypt the disc.
Now I've got the entire disc to X-Men Days of Future Past Rogue Cut on my external from MakeMKV backup. When DVDFab is able to decrypt the Canadian disc, I can scrap the backup to free space.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 22:48   #51  |  Link
Mark_Venture

WOW! Very nice -> https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anyd...eleased.68381/
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 03:52   #52  |  Link
manolito

That's really good news...

But something about this whole thing smells funny. Maybe it wasn't the MPEG LA or the Antiguan authorities who shut down Slysoft Inc. Maybe someone just determined that it was time to quit and to run away with the money...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 06:59   #53  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
That's really good news...

But something about this whole thing smells funny. Maybe it wasn't the MPEG LA or the Antiguan authorities who shut down Slysoft Inc. Maybe someone just determined that it was time to quit and to run away with the money...

Cheers
manolito
My thoughts, manolito
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 10:16   #54  |  Link
Brazil2

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Maybe it wasn't the MPEG LA or the Antiguan authorities who shut down Slysoft Inc. Maybe someone just determined that it was time to quit and to run away with the money...
Or not:
https://forum.redfox.bz/download/

Brazil2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 11:42   #55  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazil2 View Post
Probably they created a new company in a different country (as some of us already suggested) instead of SlySoft Inc. Clever guys! I like them!
Old 2nd March 2016, 12:06   #56  |  Link
Brazil2

More info:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anyd...eleased.68381/
Brazil2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 13:18   #57  |  Link
datauser

This is excellent news. However I fail to understand the logic behind those who want to force a company to close down when the legitimate purpose is to allow the end user the right to back up his own property which most countries allow except silly UK legislature if I'm not mistaken? Those massive companies pulling the strings behind the MPAA are hypocrites when they mass produce products/gadgets blank CD/DVD to back up this said data which paradoxically they are trying to prevent us doing so! Massive contradiction in terms!
datauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 14:45   #58  |  Link
Ghitulescu

It's not a contradiction in terms.
The reasoning, the official one, is the following.

We do not want anyone to copy our products, we invested 5 millions and got 385 in the first month .
But since there will be people to manage to copy one of our dearest work, we compensate for this by imposing a tax upon everything recordable and recording-able, irrespective of its use, since this is the main reason one would buy such tools and media.

I suggested many times to people I know that either to implement the copy protections or to remove the levies from the recordables - either we cannot copy, therefore what we can copy is only our personal stuff, or we can copy and pay the piper. Those people said they are too little to even amend the law, which is decided at EU level carefully considering the "suggestions" coming from across the Atlantic. Some years ago I had a paper that listed the RIAA lobby contribution in order to increase the lapse time from 70 to 95 years, some 58-59000$. About 1 second of their cash flow; and thy got 15 years.

Getting money in particular for things one doesn't control is particularly tempting... right?
Old 6th March 2016, 17:38   #59  |  Link
datauser

Whichever way you look at it, it is all money based hypocrisy of the highest order. They want you to buy their product blu ray/dvd, yes!, they sell you a medium to copy it to(legally for fairuse) or play it with as the tech industry is massively intertwined, then bring all this stupid cinavia virus like technology & further associated restrictions to block your fairuse right.

Result: put it out that it is a moral fight for you the consumer(which industry ever really cared for his or hers?) against piracy when in reality they have created the situation themselves via immense greed! They just want the bucks who doesn't? I suppose I've just been watching too much Mr Robot lately!
datauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 04:23   #60  |  Link
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Er, DVDFab has been selling and updating their Bluray decryptor outside the US uninterrupted all along. US users can even access its online database without a problem, they only did the bare minimum to redirect US users to another web site. You should investigate further, they haven't shut down at all.

The UHD statement is most likely because they don't have the technical expertise to immediately crack AACS2, so they're going to have to wait until someone releases (or sells them) a crack.
Yes, DVDFab never shuts down. DVDFab lasts for long not only because its location, but also depending on its first-class technologies of its own.
It will update continuously even without other sellers. Time will tell the truth. BTW, it is holding a passkey discount on the official site: dvdfab.cn.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote