Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th June 2019, 06:53   #1  |  Link
empleat

does Hi10P profile works for anything else than anime

Hey,
i am sick on banding and debanding shaders doesn't work well for mpc.
I was thinking whether this Hi10P profile works for movies as well, or it is just working for anime. I have feeling that it is just anime thing, otherwise it would be more spread.
empleat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 09:29   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

It works for all kinds of movies. It's not widespread because hardware and software support is much worse than regular High Profile. Note that High 10 Profile doesn't remove existing banding from a source, it only reduces introduction of additional banding when re-encoding a movie compared to regular High Profile.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 13:43   #3  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
It works for all kinds of movies. It's not widespread because hardware and software support is much worse than regular High Profile. Note that High 10 Profile doesn't remove existing banding from a source, it only reduces introduction of additional banding when re-encoding a movie compared to regular High Profile.
Precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by empleat View Post
I was thinking whether this Hi10P profile works for movies as well, or it is just working for anime. I have feeling that it is just anime thing, otherwise it would be more spread.
As a matter of fact, H.264 10bit was widespread among professional studios where many contents were shot in H.264 10bit Intra when HD and FULL HD came out, however it never became popular for end users due to the lack of hardware support, however with HEVC 10bit has now become the de-facto standard so you'll see way less banding within the next few years...
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote