Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th April 2020, 00:15   #59201  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Yeah that's odd... somehow CRU was reset or set back to default. You should be okay if you just delete those standard resolutions again, okay out of CRU, Reboot, and all should be back. No need to redo everything. I just tested this today for $hit$ and giggles.

QB

EDIT: there was a Windows update this week... I am willong to bet that might be your culprit.
Old 17th April 2020, 00:22   #59202  |  Link
mclingo

Thanks but I wiped it all and re did it, will try that if it recurs.
Old 17th April 2020, 04:31   #59203  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
Play a 23 Hz file for at least 10 minutes and create with CRU a custom resolution using a calculated one in madvr
I am not sure what to do here when I try entering the numbers that madVR calculated it wont let me save it.

https://imgur.com/2rfIL6m

Last edited by SirMaster; 17th April 2020 at 04:44.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2020, 07:17   #59204  |  Link
Klaus1189

Never had issues with it. Are you probably using the resolution you want to do custom timings with? It is the only thing I can think of for now.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2020, 12:37   #59205  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Thanks for the info on upscaling.

My gpu is Gtx 1080.

I’m running my gpu at 60hz. If I drop it to 24, I get horribly visible stutter/judder.

I can’t use RGB full at 60hz

How do you get hdr with wcg? 4:2:2 limited?

My projector has an Extended option.

I’m shooting for best image in movies. HDR WCG BT2020

Last edited by Cowboydude99; 17th April 2020 at 12:46. Reason: Spelling
Cowboydude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2020, 13:32   #59206  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I am not sure what to do here when I try entering the numbers that madVR calculated it wont let me save it.

https://imgur.com/2rfIL6m
should you not be creating your custom resolution in your GPU contol panel not in CRU utility?, I just looked at mine and there are no 4k resolution in there now which is correct, I just used that to delete out all the 4k resolutions.
Old 17th April 2020, 14:22   #59207  |  Link
mclingo

to be honest thought mate i'm close to giving up on this myself, best I can get is about 1.55 hours no matter what I do, I thought it was several hours but once it settled it was stuck on that:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgvFafeelEBik6hB...m3VEw?e=9rngJw

If I try optimize and select one of the others and click apply nothing changes even if I reboot, measured always says 1.55 hours. However i'm trying something different now. I'm trying this.

1. Delete custom res in MADVR
2. Open CRU utility and delete all 2160p resolutions in both TV resolutions and HDMI support in the extension blocks section
3. Reboot
4. create brand new custom res in MADVR using some of the timings you gathered from previous attemp, i'm going to use those in my screen shot that clock at 4.71 days.
5. Reboot
6. play movie for 30 mins.

Will report back shortly, if this works i'll probs write up some proper instructions, if it doesnt I'm probably going to dump this card at some point and re purchase my trusty MSI nitro x RX580.
Old 17th April 2020, 14:31   #59208  |  Link
SirMaster

Yeah I really do wish there were better instructions to follow.

I can't figure this out at all for some reason.

I just tried following all the instructions. I just created the custom res in nVidia control panel with the timings from madVR after optimize and it isn't making any change to my dropped frames. I am still at the same 4.40 minutes per dropped frame.

I don't want to give up on this but I can't see what I am missing.
Old 17th April 2020, 14:37   #59209  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
Never had issues with it. Are you probably using the resolution you want to do custom timings with? It is the only thing I can think of for now.
I just tried switching resolutions to make sure I am not in the resolution I am trying to create and still the horizontal front porch value is red preventing me from clicking OK.
Old 17th April 2020, 14:46   #59210  |  Link
mclingo

I tried my method as stated, no joy so I tried putting those exact figures into AMD control panel, stated my display would was not compatible.

@Sirmaster - are you adding this to your TV resolutions or HDMI Support in the CRU utility?
Old 17th April 2020, 14:56   #59211  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
I tried my method as stated, no joy so I tried putting those exact figures into AMD control panel, stated my display would was not compatible.

@Sirmaster - are you adding this to your TV resolutions or HDMI Support in the CRU utility?
I am clicking this Add button.

https://imgur.com/pAh5CT0
Old 17th April 2020, 15:32   #59212  |  Link
mclingo

i'm starting to think nobody really knows exactly whats going on with these issues, everyone knows a little bit, some a lot more than others but I think there must be a fundamental misunderstanding about how MADVR and windows works with custom modes as nothing seems to work as it should beyond those initial figures I was given here which gives me 1.55 hours, If change the totals even by one point it drops to something horrible like one frame drop every 6 seconds or 1.5 mins.

There must be a better way to do this apart from guess what these figures should be but I also think MADVR custom modes doesnt work properly either as whenever I create on in there is does nothing at all and i cant get optimize to work at all.

i'll have one last go how you are doing it to see if that gets me the timings I want.
Old 17th April 2020, 16:27   #59213  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Sorry that I can't offer any further assistance on this mate - I'm still baffled why you need custom timings with AMD (with the 5700xt) , as I and others have said, it's rock solid stable.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 17th April 2020 at 16:36.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2020, 16:52   #59214  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Sorry that I can't offer any further assistance on this mate - I'm still baffled why you need custom timings with AMD (with the 5700xt) , as I and others have said, it's rock solid stable.
i would say the same here with old rx460. in the past i had some timing problems, but they was becasue i was using two hdmis: one 2.0 to the tv for the video e one 1.3 to the AVr for the audio..... the day i bought my marantz hdmi2.0 AVR and started to use single hdmi all timing issues have gone
Mediaportal - Mpc-hc
MADVR-D3D11/10bit
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2020, 16:55   #59215  |  Link
hannes69

Ok, some general ideas concerning custom resolutions:
Normally, madVRīs solution should work. But: Some time has passed since madshi released a new madVR version (beside the HDR betas), so in the meantime there could have developed some problems either with GPU drivers or at OS level.
MadVR calculates custom resolutions based on given timings (either EDID ones or your personally entered ones in the driverīs custom resolution section or in CRU.
If the madVR routine doesnīt work, either the driver is rejecting the suggested resolution or the display doesnīt accept/work with the given resolution or there are unsolved problems with the different GPU communication interfaces between madVR and the GPU drivers.
So: if madVRīs routine doesnīt work, the next attempt is to use the driver routine fpr custom resolutions. I personally only know the one in AMD drivers, but they all should work in a similar way.
You have simply to enter the give numbers of madVR in the custom resolution section of your GPU driver.
There you should have feedback (error, warning) when your entered numbers arenīt accepted.
If this way doesnīt work, then as a last resort you can try CRU.
There you can delete all the given resolutions and implement new ones with the numbers of madVR.

The normal behaviour is like that: You connect a display device to your computer and the device tells by EDID to the computer, which resolutions are supported and the according timings.
The driver GPU driver now knows them and implements the according resolutions and framerates at OS level.
Now youīre using this resolution and madVR measures it. Then madVR uses a interface to the GPU driver by which new custom resolutions are implemented. Thatīs the same way like entering numbers in the custom resolution section in your GPU driver, itīs only a sort of automation so you donīt have to do that manually. These interfaces can be broken or madVRīs code could have to be updated.
You can create new custom resolutions this way or you can use an already given resolution by EDID (combination of resolution + refresh rate). If using an already given set, this one gets an override by your custom one. So when everything is working as expected, there is no need to remove the EDID ones.
If these two ways donīt work, then I would say there is a problem on the OS side or a driver failure. Either a defective setup or errors in the driver or OS implementation.

CRU as last way overrides the given EDID of your display devices so it simulates that your display device is asking for the custom resolutions you want and not the given EDID standard ones.
If this doesnīt work out as well, then you maybe you are a victim of faulty drivers or some OS quirk. You can try to make a fresh install of OS or remove updates or try older drivers or... Maybe you should then accept the different approach of smoothmotion with a samll loss in image quality (most of the people wonīt even notice).

I would say: Sometimes OS or GPU drivers are faulty, often teh display devices are picky with custom resolutions, very often the end user is incapable for the given task.
But homecinema is a matter of tinkering, learning, big efforts, investing bigger parts of your freetime, so it should be possible in the end.

I wonīt deliver step by step instructions or even a youtube video. All the info is there in the net, madshi wrote a small guide, link given above, everything was explained many times. In the internet you find the necessary info.
There is no need to copy 1000 times always the same info and block server space with nothing new.
Many here expect personal assistance and are incapable or not willing to answer the most simple questions.
In very rare cases someone runs into a very special setup and a special problem. Most of the time we have standard cases with standard solutions. You have to take your time and have to work in structured manner. And rule out one error or possibility after another until the solution rests.
Most of the time there are reports and whinings like "I tried everything. Iīve done the same procedure now 10 times, always the same result. Iīll soon give up, please help me." Then some people chime in and are willing to help. Thereīs assistance and there are often specific questions. All of that is very often completely ignored. What do some people expect from a forum? Personal training and that other people offer solutions for personal problems and during the way no cooperation? No. You canīt expect help in a forum while not taking part in the process in a useful manner and in a manner demanded by the ones that help.

E.g. I gave the hint that you can prove if a custom resolution of madVR is applicated and where you can lookup the info. In the meantime there are more reports in the manner "Always the same drop time, regardless of what Iīm doing". You have to narrow down the problem. We all now know that you always have the same drop time, nothing new, even when 1000 more times reported. Is the madVR custom resolution accepted in the GPU driver - YES/NO. Then you can move on to the next step.
I am willing to help out, definetely, but not in this unstructured manner and when Iīm really mad I would say in this ignorant manner.
Sorry for being harsh, itīs not intended to be rude, but sometimes, you know, itīs time to say some 'truth'.

Quote:
I just tried switching resolutions to make sure I am not in the resolution I am trying to create and still the horizontal front porch value is red preventing me from clicking OK.
Seems like CRU thinks that a limit is exceeded so it is colored red.
You can try to balance the porches. Leave the sync width alone, substract an amount from front porch (e.g -200) and add the same amount (+200 here) to back porch. The total number must stay the same.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2020, 16:59   #59216  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

With the Optimize in madVR you select one of the "no frame drops/repeats" timings... hit apply... and reboot. Now sometimes it maybe rejected, so just move to another until you find one that is accepted. Most of the time this is linked to the pixel clock, if one has too high of a pixel clock it will more than likely be rejected (much higher than 300 MHz is usually the ceiling I found, sometimes I could go a little over, but not by much). And if none of the "optimized pixel clocks" work, use the best "same pixel clock" and try again.

Also know this... As you get closer and closer to the goal, you need longer and longer playback times to see the difference. Also be very sure that you have not paused or skipped playback. I find the best is to sit and watch a movie from beginning to end without touching the remote.

QB
Old 17th April 2020, 17:15   #59217  |  Link
mclingo

ok, so i followed the advice to the letter and got everything dialled in. I wasnt getting 3 hours as I first thought but more like 1.55 hours. Do i tried to tweak some of the totals in AMD control panel custom res but this just resulted in either black screen or much worse timings so I gave up on that.

the the next bit of advice was to create a custom res using the timings MADVR had already worked out, so I did, matched it exactly and guess what I got instead of 4.71 days.

30 mins.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgvFafeelEBik6hC...BfikQ?e=dbPjCB

Could be MADVR being very old just isnt optimised for the RX5700 series cards and those who arent having issues are just lucky, or i'm just unlucky.

Whats worse is I cant now get back to 1.55 hours at all, where's my hammer...
Old 17th April 2020, 17:24   #59218  |  Link
mclingo

And just to really do my head in I decided to wipe all customs and then reset using CRU so my card was back to default driver and res settings,.. I'm now showing hors /days without drops like I normally do. Either this is another fluke or my card from the beginning had a corrupt set of resolutions setup.

Now down to 12 hours after 19 mins of playback. I'll give it 39 mins, reboot and see if this was a fluke.
Old 17th April 2020, 17:42   #59219  |  Link
nussman

For AMD users default settings without CRU or custom timings should be fine.
I am pretty sure you dont even recognize some random frame drops while watching a movie. Reset madVR stats after starting your film, relax and recheck after the movie how many frames are actually dropped.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2020, 17:58   #59220  |  Link
mclingo

we wouldnt be bothering to discuss this if we didnt care about frame drops mate, anything above zero per movie is unacceptable to me, yes they do actually drop.

I'm now getting 11 hours with default settings and i havent a clue why

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgvFafeelEBik6hE...YvZgQ?e=dog7ss

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling