Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 9th February 2020, 23:14   #10  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Windows 7 is already out of mainline support and people are still using XP? I wouldn't advocate dropping it just to spite XP users, but at this point you can barely even run Windows 7 on the latest hardware (definitely not officially supported). Encoding has to be quite painfully slow on the most recent hardware that actually supports XP.

Are there really people trying to use their ~20 year old P4 with their nearly 20 year old OS to work with modern video formats and processing techniques? Given the hardware and OS they're using it seems like they shouldn't have any issues with running an old version of AVIsynth(+) too. They should be used to it since pretty much every application has already left them behind.
Let's also be fairly clear, too: anyone with one of those setups could just as easily install a 32-bit version of Linux (or 64-bit, if after the advent of Athlon64/Core 2) and run current versions of AviSynth+ using Wine.

For the ancient systems, like the Coppermine-128 that's gathering dustš under my desk, the Win7 or Win10 targetting isn't the problem (under Linux); it's the lack of SSE2. And as far as that goes, AviSynth+ has the MSVC_ARCH configuration option to set the C++ code optimization and generate builds compatible with that if you so choose (or you could go nuts and make builds for 64-bit that require AVX2, the option swings both ways).

šI barely turn the thing on anymore, since the Byte3 on top of my desk runs circles around it. For a while it served as an archival system due to having a large hard drive in it, but if I continue doing anything with it, it'll probably be as a ReactOS testbed.