Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th April 2016, 19:04   #37641  |  Link
Sunspark

Good practice to make sure the sharpness of the display itself is correct before looking to add sharpness in madvr. Lots of displays are oversharpened for some reason at default settings.

lagom.nl has a good sharpness pattern, it will look wrong in most browsers due to scaling just like the chroma test pattern in the first post of this thread, so just save the png image to a folder and open it in Paint instead where it will be correctly displayed at a pixel level. Then open the monitor's menu options and adjust the sharpness up and down until you can get it almost flat grey with your eyes slightly squinted. Of most value with VGA, but I do it with HDMI as well.

On madvr specifically, I noticed the other day that .90.17 is slower responding than .89.18 was in terms of stopping playback and then going to a black screen, or switching from fullscreen exclusive to windowed and back again.. there are longer delays with more visual artifacts (e.g. flickering seek bar, I have now disabled that as well or a momentary outline of the menus on the black background before being redrawn as black as well). I actually ended up having to uncheck the delay 3 seconds option which I didn't have to do before in .89.18.

Edit: I notice that hitting the space bar to start/pause playback when in FSE is showing a frame that has already played so you see a momentary flash of a previous frame before the regular stream continues. Not sure why it is momentarily showing a previous frame on unpausing. Flush settings for FSE are in order, flush, flush&wait (sleep), don't flush, don't flush. Should they be different? Or is this a bug?

Last edited by Sunspark; 29th April 2016 at 20:22. Reason: Added bit about the frame repeat.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 03:08   #37642  |  Link
MrBonk

What happened to the Mad VR settings explanation thread?
MrBonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 04:09   #37643  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post
What happened to the Mad VR settings explanation thread?
It was moved because of a lack of replies for an extended period of time. It still exists. I'll bump it now.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 04:23   #37644  |  Link
MrBonk

Oh well thanks. Why does it disappear completely though? Wouldn't it just be moved further down the list as it got less and less replies?
Since it's a resource of information for what does what. Seems like it would be a good idea to keep it visible no?
MrBonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 15:57   #37645  |  Link
Patrik G

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
When I select 10,000 nit I need to see all the 64-940 range without madVR clipping, stretching, or compressing anything,
dont you need a tv with 10 bit panel to see steps above 255?
that panasonic plasma is only 8 bit right ?
sure it will be clipping.

get a 500M instead
true 10bit panel
Patrik G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 17:05   #37646  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post
Why does it disappear completely though?
Sorry for offtopic: look at the bottom of the sub-forum index page:
http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Take note of "from the" option (daysprune param.) Doesn't appear like you can change this in options. If you look at the sub-forum frequently maybe perhaps bookmark the page after setting the option you desire.
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 17:29   #37647  |  Link
aufkrawall

Or just find it via Google.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 20:36   #37648  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

I was thinking of buying a laptop with desktop GPU GTX980. (Not 980M). My question regarding madVR, is: would an i7-6700K + GTX980 be able to run NNEDI at 256 Neurons and add edge sharpening + edge thinning + debanding + 4K upscaling with AR and sigmoidal light using Jinc ?

I am a bit curious if anyone tried, because I was thinking of getting a P870 from Clkevo, and while it is a power house of a laptop, I am afraid that for using madVR in these conditions, I should probably wait a bit more for the new generation of GPUs to appear. Especially that I will be always upscaling FHD to 4K.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 20:49   #37649  |  Link
sat4all

Any idea why madvr dxva image upscaling is clipping btb and wtw? gpu 0-255, madvr and tv 16-255.
I'm forced to dxva upscaling for 1080p24 > 2160p24 bcs of my intel nuc performances.
sat4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 20:52   #37650  |  Link
baii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
I was thinking of buying a laptop with desktop GPU GTX980. (Not 980M). My question regarding madVR, is: would an i7-6700K + GTX980 be able to run NNEDI at 256 Neurons and add edge sharpening + edge thinning + debanding + 4K upscaling with AR and sigmoidal light using Jinc ?

I am a bit curious if anyone tried, because I was thinking of getting a P870 from Clkevo, and while it is a power house of a laptop, I am afraid that for using madVR in these conditions, I should probably wait a bit more for the new generation of GPUs to appear. Especially that I will be always upscaling FHD to 4K.
256 neuron luma nnedi3? No, let alone all the enhancement.

With no enhancement a 980ti / fury x can do 128 for 1080p while gimping everything else. Anyways, cramping all the option on doesn't always make it "look better".

Btw, if you push the gpu hard on laptop, the fan noise can be pretty annoying unless you have headphone on all time.
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 20:53   #37651  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik G View Post
dont you need a tv with 10 bit panel to see steps above 255?
that panasonic plasma is only 8 bit right ?
sure it will be clipping.

get a 500M instead
true 10bit panel
plasma are technically 1 bit and noisy compared to LCD screens.

and of cause you don't need more bit deep to show steps higher than x that's not how this works.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 21:04   #37652  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
1080p NNEDI3 32 doubling already requires much performance, GTX 980 can do 1080p 30fps NNEDI3 64 doubling + some very lightweight postprocessing at most. When you output 4k resolution, deband with max quality isn't low on resources either and neither is sharpen edges.
Don't buy an expensive notebook now, probably already in June or July you can buy notebooks with Polaris 10 or GP104/106 GPU which will be a huge technology update in general over current GPUs (HEVC 10 bit, HDR, Display Port 1.3...).
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 21:15   #37653  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

The only other option is madVR 16-235 and the GPU full, but this clips your desktop.
This is the recommended combination if desktop colors are of no concern, right?

I'm getting confused once again because some on the other hand say to use madVR full and GPU full.

I have madVR limited, GPU full and HDMI black level "low" on my Samsung TV (can't remember if low meant full or limited but I'm guessing low = full). Can someone confirm if this is opimal? Black levels look alright on test clips at least.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 21:25   #37654  |  Link
baii

yet Another TV color range question, so confusing grr

Samsung TV hdmi in
Intel HD

I have full range gpu, pc mode tv (should be full IDK...), hdmi normal, madvr set to full, AVS hd709 black clipping flashing at 17+.
hdmi low with full on gpu will crush black. (no flash)

Does this sound right~?

And 1080p 59hz vs 60hz?

I hate TV...
seems like I am on the same boat like uoppi,lols.

edit
Going to go with this~~ from AVS zoyd
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post33427002

For me would be the second one.

Last edited by baii; 30th April 2016 at 22:05.
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 22:58   #37655  |  Link
trueunborn

Help with 3D

Hi all, Got the 3D player working great with Latest LAV and Mavr but Reclock does not detect correctly the refresh rate that MAdVr is forcing. Reclock thinks it is 24hz while MAdvr forces 23hz (x2 in reality...)... the result is a lot of dropped frames. Tried a lot of things with no luck.Any idea?

BTW, I have an nvidia card with drivers 364,47.
trueunborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 23:21   #37656  |  Link
JamPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueunborn View Post
...Reclock thinks it is 24hz while MAdvr forces 23hz (x2 in reality...)... the result is a lot of dropped frames. Tried a lot of things with no luck.Any idea?
Try setting ReClock on manual fps.
JamPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 23:34   #37657  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
This is the recommended combination if desktop colors are of no concern, right?

I'm getting confused once again because some on the other hand say to use madVR full and GPU full.

I have madVR limited, GPU full and HDMI black level "low" on my Samsung TV (can't remember if low meant full or limited but I'm guessing low = full). Can someone confirm if this is opimal? Black levels look alright on test clips at least.
I'd set everything to full range so desktop levels remain accurate and the GPU doesn't have to do a range conversion for the display -- after madVR, the output is straight passthrough.

Your configuration is considered optimal because madVR doesn't clip anything and all output is passed-through as is to the display. But I doubt it has any real advantage over setting everything full range; especially when your desktop levels will be off and look distracting.

Can anyone claim superiority for setting madVR to 16-235?
Old 1st May 2016, 00:12   #37658  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Can anyone claim superiority for setting madVR to 16-235?
There is some banding introduced by expanding 16-235 to 0-255 but madVR's dithering prevents this being an issue (it results in extra dither noise instead of banding), at least on most displays.
Old 1st May 2016, 00:53   #37659  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
There is some banding introduced by expanding 16-235 to 0-255 but madVR's dithering prevents this being an issue (it results in extra dither noise instead of banding), at least on most displays.
If the display is set to 16-235, does it clip 0-15 or 236-255? I'm still editing this section in my own guide.

Last edited by Warner306; 1st May 2016 at 01:16.
Old 1st May 2016, 01:56   #37660  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post
256 neuron luma nnedi3? No, let alone all the enhancement.

With no enhancement a 980ti / fury x can do 128 for 1080p while gimping everything else. Anyways, cramping all the option on doesn't always make it "look better".

Btw, if you push the gpu hard on laptop, the fan noise can be pretty annoying unless you have headphone on all time.
I thought that an ultra fast GPU could do a bit more.

I do wear headphones almost all the time. I am one of those audiophools who invests in headphones too. Afterall my project is about audio reproduction, and music quality and fidelity.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling