Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 24th January 2008, 12:05   #1  |  Link
Kiriakos

Original HDDVD disk and Xtra subtitles? Done!

FYI i found a way that allows us to have extra subtitles while watching a HDDVD disk through the HDDVD drive. It works fine and it is easy. If anyone is interested to learn how, just say it and i 'll write a ''how to'' .

PS: If it is allready known, sorry but i dont think so.
Kiriakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 22:06   #2  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiriakos View Post
If anyone is interested to learn how, just say it and i 'll write a ''how to'' .
yes, please do...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 02:05   #3  |  Link
Kiriakos

HowTo : External subtitles with HDDVDs played through HDDVD drive.

I am assuming that you know some stuff about external subs in the form of .xas- .xmf files, that we are using for a year now for HDDVD but HDDripped first. If no, i will edit the howto and insert the guide for that too.

Tools:
From here a very good but beta stage tool that allows us to make and edit easy .aca files (like those being in ADV_OBJ folders in HDDVDs) .

Notepad super editor

AnyDVD up and running.

How:

I am assuming that you have someware the 4 subtitle files needed for watching our movie from the HDD with them, named blade.xas, blade.xmf, arial.ttf and the modified VPLST000.XPL.

AnyDVD, among its many great services, does something called ''magic file replacement''. This works like this: When we throw our HDDVD disk in the drive, it reads it and copies some files someware, modifies them and then by ''magic'' puts them back to disk! Thats magic man. Now, if you set it to NOT delete the altered files on exit, it dosen't. So the next time that you will play the same disk it will read the files from the first time. That is what we can use creatively.
If you right click the little fox on the right bottom of your screen and go to settings --> HDDVD you 'll see the 2 folders that anydvd uses to store the files mentioned before. The first one is for the .XPL files (in a folder for every movie, you 'll see) and the other is for the .aca files. Aca files are a kind of containers like .zip or .rar files but without compression and they contain files that the player uses to give you goods like menus etc.
Now, insert the movie disk, wait to do its job and after 20 secs or so deactivate it (anydvd). Go to the folder that contains the modified by Anydvd VPLST000.XPL file and replace it with yours (the one of 4 that i mensioned before with the subtitles) . Go to the folder that contains the .aca files from Anydvd modification and look for .aca files. Choose one that you think that it wont be used from the start of the movie or if there is just one, choose that . Lets say that it is the ''menu.aca'' for the example. Now go back to the .XPL and open it in notepad. Search for the ''AdvancedSubtitleSegment'' part of the file. There, you have to edit some lines like this:

<AdvancedSubtitleSegment src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/blade.xmf" titleTimeBegin="00:00:00:00" titleTimeEnd="01:55:42:00" sync="hard" xmlns="">
<Subtitle track="5" />
<ApplicationResource src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/blade.xmf" loadingBegin="00:00:00:00" priority="1" multiplexed="false" />
<ApplicationResource src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/blade.xas" loadingBegin="00:00:00:00" priority="1" multiplexed="false" />
</AdvancedSubtitleSegment>

To:

<AdvancedSubtitleSegment src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/menu.aca/blade.xmf" titleTimeBegin="00:00:00:00" titleTimeEnd="01:55:42:00" sync="hard" xmlns="">
<Subtitle track="5" />
<ApplicationResource src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/ menu.aca/blade.xmf" loadingBegin="00:00:00:00" priority="1" multiplexed="false" />
<ApplicationResource src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/ menu.aca/blade.xas" loadingBegin="00:00:00:00" priority="1" multiplexed="false" />

PS: We are altering the path of the subtitle files so the player will search them in the menu.aca file, by inserting the extra text shown red above.

Now we have to alter the path in the .xas and .xmf files too. Open both of them in notepad and by using the Edit-->replace tool, replace the ''file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/'' with "file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/ menu.aca/'' . Save and exit.

Now you ''ll make the new menu.aca file with the DoACA program. Open it, click ''New'', type the name of the choosen .aca (menu.aca in our example) and save. DragnDrop the 3 subtitle files (blade.xas, blade.xmf, arial.ttf for our example) in the DoACA's window, click ''save'' and exit.
now replace the modified by anydvd menu.aca with the new one.

That was it. Enable Anydvd to read the new files and replace with them the original in disk. Now you 'll be able to select the subs that you want through ''U'' key or by clicking the subs button in PDVD.

It is nothing realy, the first time is a little hard but what isn't? It takes me about 2,5 mins per movie.

Any questions, glad to help anytime. Have fun.
Old 27th January 2008, 22:43   #4  |  Link
pejback

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the how-to!

Could you please post an example of the xmf and xas files...?
pejback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 00:12   #5  |  Link
Kiriakos

You can make them like this:
From here you can get the programs that I am talking about bellow.
You have to find the subtitle file in your language in .srt format (easy on internet) . Play the movie in your favorite player and write down the exact time of the first and last spoken lines. Then, open the .srt file in SubtitleWorkshop and by going Edit > Timings > Adjust > Adjust Subtitles… and entering the above times you can readjust the timings of the lines to fit with your movie. Save and exit.
Now open the srt2xas.exe program and select the items in the fields that you ‘ll see. Pay attention in the last field, when you ‘ll select the .XPL file it ‘ll display bellow it the ‘’main movie’’ or something. Make sure that this is your main movie (look at the play time) . Click ‘’Start’’ and you are done. By opening the movie in PDVD you can select the new added from you subs by the ‘’U’’ key of your keyboard.
Now, you have to have 3 new files in your movie’s ADV_OBJ folder, a font file (like arial.ttf) a .xmf and a .xas file (like blabla.xmf – blabla.xas) . In your movies .XPL file if you open it in notepad you ’ll see a new piece of code that srt2xas inserted before and will look something like this:
………………………….
…………………………
………………………..
…………………………..
<Chapter displayName="Chapter 48" titleTimeBegin="02:43:23:02" />
<Chapter displayName="Chapter 49" titleTimeBegin="02:50:56:10" />
<Chapter displayName="Chapter 50" titleTimeBegin="02:57:32:35" />
</ChapterList>
<TrackNavigationList>
<AudioTrack track="1" langcode="en:01" selectable="true" />
<AudioTrack track="2" langcode="jp:01" selectable="true" />
<AudioTrack track="3" langcode="fr:01" selectable="true" />
<AudioTrack track="4" langcode="it:01" selectable="true" />
<AudioTrack track="5" langcode="de:01" selectable="true" />
<AudioTrack track="6" langcode="es:01" selectable="true" />
<SubtitleTrack track="1" langcode="el:01" selectable="true" />
</TrackNavigationList>
<AdvancedSubtitleSegment src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/blablabla.xmf" titleTimeBegin="00:00:00:00" titleTimeEnd="03:07:05:14" sync="hard" xmlns="">
<Subtitle track="1" />
<ApplicationResource src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/blablabla.xmf" loadingBegin="00:00:00:00" priority="1" multiplexed="false" />
<ApplicationResource src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/blablabla.xas" loadingBegin="00:00:00:00" priority="1" multiplexed="false" />
</Title>
</TitleSet>
</Playlist>

(In bold the new code)

If you have any questions, glad to help.

Last edited by Kiriakos; 28th January 2008 at 00:16.
Old 15th April 2008, 02:26   #6  |  Link
bass4040

Anyone still around to help with this? I tried it with Vexille hd-dvd and can't get any subs. I got the srt and made the xas, xmf, xpl and created a menu.aca file and not sure do I need to go into each file and re-edit them or does the srt2xas program do everything automatically? I have two aca files now archived.aca which came from the hd-dvd and menu.aca I created. I'll post code if I get any help, thanks.
bass4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2020, 06:22   #7  |  Link
DenisRodman

Does anyone have an DoACA Advanced Archive File Utility (DoACAInstaller.exe)?
Please reupload.
DenisRodman is offline   Reply With Quote