Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th September 2018, 23:41   #52621  |  Link
mclingo

getting HDMI loss / black screen all over the place coming out of movies, this is something that only used to happen coming out of 3D movies, now its happening in eveyrthing, mainly in KODI DS, only change i've made on my PC is MADVR update, however i've reverted back and they remain so its broke something on my HTPC, gutted.

edit - might have fixed this with a KODI DS install straight over the top, could be unrelated to MADVR.

Last edited by mclingo; 20th September 2018 at 23:53.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2018, 23:52   #52622  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
is anyone able to answer this question, please?
Better art? Upscaled images generally look more pleasing with some grain. That could be part of it.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 00:01   #52623  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouonsoku View Post
Is there currently a way to take advantage of madVR's tonemapping while also switching the display into it's HDR mode? I have an LG C7 and have been trying to compare the passthrough image output to madVR's tonemapping but only the "HDR to SDR" option results in a proper image, but also leaves the display in SDR mode which limits my peak brightness significantly. The "process HDR content by using pixel shader math" setting was what I expected would give me the results I'm looking for but it makes the image very red. I've included an album with some potato quality images below, final image is just using passthrough.

https://imgur.com/a/H8QpKjk
madshi could maybe improve this. I know there is a new Panasonic Blu-ray player that gets along well with this setting with many displays. I have seen several examples where tone mapping the image before the display results in an image with more highlight detail with any display that clips too much at the top.

The tone mapping was optimized for HDR -> SDR, so I don't know if it was tested that much with a PQ output. You are probably compressing reference white (100 nits) too much at 400 nits. It would likely work better if you could find a higher value that only compresses the top of the curve to better match the bottom of the PQ curve enforced by the LG. Your display must be brighter than 400 nits in HDR mode.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 00:19   #52624  |  Link
Magik Mark

Hi!

Just curious. How did you display the detailed rendering in ms? ctrl J doesn't show this

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
i guess i have the same problem...

i see just the normal OSD stuff nothing new..
made a clean madvr install.

tested on 2 monitors, one with DVI - and one with VGA..(yes one monitor still has VGA)

and this is what i see:

dont mind my shaders down there..haha

Is there a screenshot somewhere to see how its supposed to look?

greetz
Old 21st September 2018, 00:27   #52625  |  Link
Wolfberry
Helenium(Easter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
ShowRenderSteps: Displays every shader pass in the OSD with the rendering time for each one. Can slow down the overall rendering time due to needing to flush the GPU and wait for the rendering to succeed after every shader pass but this effect is very minor in recent versions. Only active when the OSD is being displayed.
Create a empty folder named "ShowRenderSteps" in the madVR folder and you will get a more detailed OSD.
Old 21st September 2018, 00:44   #52626  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
@madshi : no chance to undestand why madvr's HDR switching is so weak with amd cards ? and why it changes driver by driver even the SO manual switch works with all amd drivers.
If it changes driver by driver then it's *very* unlikely to be my fault. Complain to AMD, please, not to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
It probably wasn't expected to
No, it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Congrats on your latest HDR conversion improvements, madshi. I think you really nailed it down with it, just looks fantastic. The new highlight detail reconstruction also really does wonders, without destroying too much.
Glad to hear you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suanm View Post
The images of UHD HDR movies look very very dark with the new madVR0.92.16 version,hardly see anything in 'process HDR content by using pixel shader math' mode on my TV set。On the contrary once when I choose the 'passthrough HDR content to the dispay' mode.the images go immediately very very clear.Wondering what's going on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouonsoku View Post
Is there currently a way to take advantage of madVR's tonemapping while also switching the display into it's HDR mode? I have an LG C7 and have been trying to compare the passthrough image output to madVR's tonemapping but only the "HDR to SDR" option results in a proper image, but also leaves the display in SDR mode which limits my peak brightness significantly. The "process HDR content by using pixel shader math" setting was what I expected would give me the results I'm looking for but it makes the image very red. I've included an album with some potato quality images below, final image is just using passthrough.

https://imgur.com/a/H8QpKjk
To be honest, I haven't really tested "process HDR content by using pixel shader math" in a long while, I didn't think (m)any users were using it. I'll check if I can reproduce the problem(s) here.

Is there a specific reason why you're not simply using "convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel shader math"? The "process" option has the potential problem that although madVR already did all of the tone mapping work, the TV might double process (= damage) it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
MADSHI, the AMD RX 23hz SDR saturation bug, as i'm not the only one is there anything at all you could suggest I could look at changing to help you diagnose this, do you have any idea what it might be or anything I could ask AMD to have a look at?
From what I remember, you said it only occured in very specific situations, e.g. using D3D11, but not when using D3D9 etc. So why don't you simply use settings that make the problem go away, like using D3D9? As I said before, it's *very* unlikely to be a bug in madVR. So I'm hesitant spending a lot of my precious development time on that, when I could use the same time to do other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
It will be great if you could add the true GPU mode info in OSD for AMD GPUs as well.
Maybe, but not planned soon. I did it for Nvidia because I had to access the private Nvidia API for the new "report BT.2020 to display" option, anyway. Unfortunately AMD's private API doesn't support this "report BT.2020 to display" functionality, as a result I didn't have much motivation to spend several hours just to add some information to the OSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
And in that info, is it possible to show IT Content Type/ Content Type reported to the display?
The Nvidia API is buggy there.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 00:50   #52627  |  Link
suanm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
That's very weird. I've no idea what's causing it in your case cause I had an issue with HDR with the new nVidia driver (the 4xx driver) and going back to 399 works with v0.92.16 no problem.
I don't understand what results in so dark images with the new madVR0.92.16,either.Thank you all the same.Restart the old madVR0.92.14,All seems so normal as usual.
By the way I don't know if most of HDR fans here will have the same problem
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 01:04   #52628  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by suanm View Post
I don't understand what results in so dark images with the new madVR0.92.16,either.Thank you all the same.Restart the old madVR0.92.14,All seems so normal as usual.
By the way I don't know if most of HDR fans here will have the same problem
In my particular case, HDR would show on the TV as being active but in reality it wasn't. If I activated the Windows HDR/WCG setting before starting the player, then it'd play. This ended up being a driver issue with the new 4xx nVidia driver rather than an issue with madvr. Once I downgraded the driver back to 399 I've had no further issue with HDR in any of the madvr versions.

Is your image truly switching on HDR and is dark or is it not truly activating HDR?
Old 21st September 2018, 01:08   #52629  |  Link
suanm

@madshi
First of all thank you,master ,for your reply.
second My TV set has HDR feature. So i don't think i will use any feature of HDR conversion to SDR.The purpose of using the feature 'process HDR content by using pixel shader math' is to improve image quality of HDR movies.Thank you again,master
Old 21st September 2018, 01:13   #52630  |  Link
suanm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
In my particular case, HDR would show on the TV as being active but in reality it wasn't. If I activated the Windows HDR/WCG setting before starting the player, then it'd play. This ended up being a driver issue with the new 4xx nVidia driver rather than an issue with madvr. Once I downgraded the driver back to 399 I've had no further issue with HDR in any of the madvr versions.

Is your image truly switching on HDR and is dark or is it not truly activating HDR?
Surely。the HDR feature is activated although the HDR image is so dark.I've installed 411.xx driver.but it doesn't work yet
Old 21st September 2018, 01:22   #52631  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
The Nvidia API is buggy there.
bugged in term of not working at all or something like nonsense reports?

if it is not utterly broken and reports "something" i would like to test it on a couple of screen of cause only if you still have a version with it lying around.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 02:25   #52632  |  Link
Chouonsoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Is there a specific reason why you're not simply using "convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel shader math"? The "process" option has the potential problem that although madVR already did all of the tone mapping work, the TV might double process (= damage) it.
It's like I said in my post, processing via HDR -> SDR means my TV stays in SDR mode which has a lower peak brightness than the HDR mode. It also means I have to change my SDR mode picture settings on the TV for the HDR content (Bt.2020) and then back again when I'm playing SDR content (Rec.709) instead of being able to have separate SDR and HDR picture modes like I do with the passthrough option. I could be understanding this wrong, but I had to change a lot of settings to make the HDR tonemapped to SDR image look right on playback compared to how I've had the settings for my SDR content.

What is the "send HDR metadata to display" box for in this mode, by the way? I kind of assumed it was meant to submit the "new" HDR metadata that madVR maybe generates from using it's tonemapping algorithm to the TV. A lot of this was just my assumption that this mode was to put the TV into HDR mode. I'll play with the SDR conversion method and putting Windows into HDR manually via display settings. My goal was essentially to replace LG's tonemapping method with the one in madVR for HDR display. I had not considered the TV might doing a second process like you describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
madshi could maybe improve this. I know there is a new Panasonic Blu-ray player that gets along well with this setting with many displays. I have seen several examples where tone mapping the image before the display results in an image with more highlight detail with any display that clips too much at the top.

The tone mapping was optimized for HDR -> SDR, so I don't know if it was tested that much with a PQ output. You are probably compressing reference white (100 nits) too much at 400 nits. It would likely work better if you could find a higher value that only compresses the top of the curve to better match the bottom of the PQ curve enforced by the LG. Your display must be brighter than 400 nits in HDR mode.
Increasing the nits doesn't fix the super strong red hue, but they have to be that low to avoid the intense black crush that also happens with the HDR process setting. It was also set to 150 / 400 to make it easier to see the red problem in the photos.

Last edited by Chouonsoku; 21st September 2018 at 02:42.
Chouonsoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 03:30   #52633  |  Link
magic144

Playing back 720p HD mkv, run into new issue since (including) madVR version 0.92.15 (WASN'T present with 0.92.14 and reverting still works).

When I engage vobsub (idx/sub) subtitles via XySubFilter in Zoom Player, video freezes though audio continues. I don't get any subs. In fact the freezing only occurs at the point when the next sub would have appeared. It's non recoverable - have to restart player to restart video.
VobSub filter still works.
Plain text (SRT) subs still work in either sub filter.

Using AMD RX460 with Adrenalin 18.9.2 (latest) driver. Output is direct HDMI to Samsung monitor, 1920x1080 resolution.

Sub filters previously installed (as pair) via ZP Install Centre - reported as 3.1.0.747 via that installer.
VSFilter.dll (VobSub) shows 3.0.0.306
XySubFilter.dll (XySubFilter) shows 3.1.0.747
LAV Decoders 0.72.0 (video using DXVA2 copy-back)
Zoom Player is MAX v14.4b1 (latest, ZP is a 32-bit app)

----

UPDATE: same issue occurs on different PC w/ same software setup, but with older AMD Radeon HD5670
(again, reverting to madVR 0.92.14 works)
UPDATE2 (2018-09-21): issue confirmed in BOTH full-screen and windowed playback
UPDATE3 (2018-09-23): issue confirmed using LAV in BOTH (none) and DXVA2 (copy-back) acceleration (or not) modes
UPDATE4 (2018-09-23): issue confirmed on laptop w/ same software setup, but uses Intel HD GPU

Last edited by magic144; 23rd September 2018 at 20:08. Reason: added extra info
magic144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 06:57   #52634  |  Link
mrmojo666

@madshi, i'm not complaining with you, neither finger pointing. i'm just wondering if maybe it's possible to fine tuning something madvr side to make HDR auto switch more reliable.
Mediaportal - Mpc-hc
MADVR-D3D11/10bit

Last edited by mrmojo666; 21st September 2018 at 07:58.
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 09:08   #52635  |  Link
Sunset1982

AMD guys, better stay away from driver 18.9.2! Can't use D3D11 10bit mode in madvr with latest 18.9.2. Reverted back to 18.8.2 and it works again.
Old 21st September 2018, 09:23   #52636  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
AMD guys, better stay away from driver 18.9.2! Can't use D3D11 10bit mode in madvr with latest 18.9.2. Reverted back to 18.8.2 and it works again.
Working fine here.

EDIT: What doesn't work for you exactly?

Last edited by Klaus1189; 21st September 2018 at 09:27.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 10:27   #52637  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
Working fine here.

EDIT: What doesn't work for you exactly?

the 10bit windowed mode in D3D11... only works with 8bit with latest drivers
Old 21st September 2018, 11:35   #52638  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

@Sunset1982 Even with nvidia, windowed mode is 8bit "D3D11 windowed (8 bit)", but as soon as you full screen it, it turns into "D3D11 fullscreen windowed (10bit)". Is this not the expected behavior?
Crimson Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 11:51   #52639  |  Link
aufkrawall

For what it's worth: I still had the render queue not filling correctly issue with 0.92.16, it only worked in FSE. However, it seems to have disappeared after a Windows restart. Maybe you want to keep an eye out on this.

Edit: The CPU load with HDR pixel shader conversion is also a bit high, especially with highlight reconstruction.

Last edited by aufkrawall; 21st September 2018 at 11:57.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 13:19   #52640  |  Link
mrmojo666

Wooowoo!! I've started to try all possible combinations of amd driver setting. And finally i managed to have back hdr autoswitch with 18.9.2. i have to set desktop at 12 bit. We will see with future drivers updates if it keep working.

As usual madshi was right.

Mediaportal - Mpc-hc
MADVR-D3D11/10bit

Last edited by mrmojo666; 21st September 2018 at 13:25.
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling