Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 31st August 2015, 20:44   #1261  |  Link
pepar

Missing Meta data

Hi,

I just started using this to batch convert an APE'd CD library to LAME. Windows Explorer with the APE files shows the file name, track #, title, artist and album. Opening those files in LameXP, everything is missing except the file name. After encoding, that has not changed. I have set the Rename Output Files to [<TrackNo>] <Artist> - <Album> - <Title>. Still, none of that data is picked up from the APE files.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 31st August 2015, 20:47   #1262  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Hi,

I just started using this to batch convert an APE'd CD library to LAME. Windows Explorer with the APE files shows the file name, track #, title, artist and album. Opening those files in LameXP, everything is missing except the file name. After encoding, that has not changed. I have set the Rename Output Files to [<TrackNo>] <Artist> - <Album> - <Title>. Still, none of that data is picked up from the APE files.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff
If you just drop the .APE file into LameXP and go to the "Show Details", does it show the meta info?

If not, what if you open the "problematic" file with MediaInfo? Does it detect the info

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 31st August 2015 at 21:00.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 21:14   #1263  |  Link
pepar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
If you just drop the .APE file into LameXP and go to the "Show Details", does it show the meta info?
It does not. And the problematic file is the entire CD library.

Quote:
If not, what if you open the "problematic" file with MediaInfo? Does it detect the info
Well, maybe that is my problem. Does MediaInfo install with LameXP? Do I need to have it "independently" of LameXP? ... I didn't notice where I would point LameXP to it ...

Jeff
Old 31st August 2015, 21:23   #1264  |  Link
pepar

Just installed MediaInfo and then reopended LameXP. Still no tagging. Will restart PC and see if that fixes it.

edit: Resrtarted PC. No joy. Loaded a file into MediaInfo and can't find where I would see the meta tags. However, I loaded a file into MP3Tag and the info displayed immediately.

edit: OK, found "sheet" anc customized it for Artist, Album, Track # and Title. No joy. None of that is displayed. Yet Mp3tag shows it.

Last edited by pepar; 31st August 2015 at 21:51.
pepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 21:36   #1265  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Well, maybe that is my problem. Does MediaInfo install with LameXP? Do I need to have it "independently" of LameXP?
LameXP uses MediaInfo to detect the type of a file. It also uses MediaInfo to extract the meta info from the input file.

But you do not need to install MediaInfo separately. It's already included with LameXP! Still, it would be interesting to know if standalone MediaInfo correctly detects the meta info from your "problematic" file or not.

If it doesn't, then this clearly is a MediaInfo bug/limitation and there is nothing that could be done on the LameXP side. Otherwise, it would indicate some LameXP bug...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 31st August 2015 at 21:41.
Old 31st August 2015, 21:52   #1266  |  Link
pepar

Quote:
LameXP uses MediaInfo to detect the type of a file. It also uses MediaInfo to extract the meta info from the input file.

But you do not need to install MediaInfo separately. It's already included with LameXP! Still, it would be interesting to know if standalone MediaInfo correctly detects the meta info from your "problematic" file or not.

If it doesn't, then this clearly is a MediaInfo bug/limitation and there is nothing that could be done on the LameXP side. Otherwise, it would indicate some LameXP bug...
See above edits. Looks like a MediaInfo bug ...
Old 31st August 2015, 22:06   #1267  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
See above edits. Looks like a MediaInfo bug ...
In this case, please send bug report (or feature request) to the MediaInfo developer.
Old 31st August 2015, 22:09   #1268  |  Link
pepar

Quote:

Just looking at the MediaInfo page, I don't see where it does anything at all with audio track tagging. It is for file information in the context of movie audio, e.g. codec, bitrate, sample depth, etc. Beyond that, it says APE is a supported format, but it gives no details about what tags are supported. If APE falls under Other, than it only supports the stuff I mentioned above.

Anywho, I think I see my problem.
Old 31st August 2015, 22:10   #1269  |  Link
pepar

Quote:
In this case, please send bug report (or feature request) to the MediaInfo developer.
Thanks, I will pursue it from that angle.

Jeff
Old 25th September 2015, 16:17   #1270  |  Link
Gravitator

Привет! Through video card has not been any projects for encoding MP3?
Gravitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 21:25   #1271  |  Link
pepar

Quote:
Thanks, I will pursue it from that angle.

Jeff
Following up to my issue - my workaround was to use a piece of software that didn't have a reliance on MediaInfo. It was not multi-threaded or multicore-aware and ran at 20% of the speed of LameXP. (And I installed it immediately as it was the naggiest freeware I have ever encountered.) But it did carry the tags through the conversion.

I am someone who *always* contributes to authors of freeware and wish I had been able to use LameXP.

I am not a troll nor am I trying to flame this fine work; just being honest in the hope that this limitation is fixed. I can't be the only user wanting to convert tagged audio files.

Jeff
Old 28th September 2015, 22:33   #1272  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
Привет! Through video card has not been any projects for encoding MP3?

Quote:
Following up to my issue - my workaround was to use a piece of software that didn't have a reliance on MediaInfo. It was not multi-threaded or multicore-aware and ran at 20% of the speed of LameXP. (And I installed it immediately as it was the naggiest freeware I have ever encountered.) But it did carry the tags through the conversion.
If we didn't use MediaInfo to detect the file type and the meta info, we would have to manually implement detection code for several dozens of file formats - which is condemned to failure. So, even if MediaInfo does not support a particular file format (by now), the benefit of using MediaInfo still outweighs this little shortcoming by far. I'm not aware of any library or tool that detects as many file formats as MediaInfo does, let alone the extraction of meta tags.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 28th September 2015 at 22:36.
Old 28th September 2015, 22:38   #1273  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.12 RC-1
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lame...29/2015-09-28/

Quote:
Changes between v4.11 and v4.12 [unreleased]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 with Update-5
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.7 Final (2015-05-25), compiled with MSVC 12.0
* Added Hungarian translation, contributed by Zityi's Translator Team <zityisoft@gmail.com>
* Added optional support for the libfdk-aac encoder, using the fdkaac front-end by nu774
* Added detection of the 64-Bit version of QAAC encoder, requires 64-Bit Apple Application Support
* Added enhanced file renaming option: Default file extensions can now be overwritten
* Added enhanced file renaming option: Files can now be renamed via the regular expression engine
* Added capability to select multiple files on "Source Files" tab
* Updated Vorbis encoder to OggEnc v2.87 (2015-08-03), using libvorbis v1.3.5 and aoTuV b6.03_2015
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.76 (2015-08-06), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.22.4 (2015-08-12), compiled with GCC 5.1.0
* Updated ALAC decoder to refalac v1.47 (2015-02-15), based on reference implementation by Apple
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.16 (2015-03-24), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated WavPack decoder to v4.75.0 (2015-05-25), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated GnuPG to v1.4.19 (2015-02-27), compiled with GCC 4.9.2
* Fixed potential deadlock in Cue Sheet import dialog when "Browse..." button is clicked
* Fixed function to restore the default Temp folder, if custom Temp folder doesn't exist anymore
* Enable the embedding of cover artwork for Opus encoder (opusenc), using the --picture option
* Some installer improvements have been implemented (especially in "update" mode)
* Full support for Windows 10 RTM (Build #10240)
Old 28th September 2015, 23:26   #1274  |  Link
pepar

Quote:
If we didn't use MediaInfo to detect the file type and the meta info, we would have to manually implement detection code for several dozens of file formats - which is condemned to failure. So, even if MediaInfo does not support a particular file format (by now), the benefit of using MediaInfo still outweighs this little shortcoming by far. I'm not aware of any library or tool that detects as many file formats as MediaInfo does, let alone the extraction of meta tags.
I completely agree, even though the little shortcoming was a show-stopper for me, I really liked your software.

I just looked to see how I could donate ... put my money where my ... yadda, yadda. While I could help you order food and drink in a Mexican restaurant, I can't offer translation. Or code.

So, all I can do is thank you.

Jeff
Old 30th September 2015, 04:59   #1275  |  Link
lethedoom

I have ignored the 4.12 betas until this RC 1 iteration. I had to struggle with Avast anti virus to download and install it and have notified them that they are getting a false positive result deeming it suspicious and forbidding its download. They will review it the next cycle of their process. In the past they have always conceded Lame XP is safe when challenged. I found the RC 1 loads quickly and performs well. Thanks again for this gift.
lethedoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 15:36   #1276  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

@LoRd_MuldeR
It would be cool if we could search and download cover art directly from LameXP. I've done similar app but for movie posters.

You could use http://musicdatabase.co/ as source.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2015, 17:15   #1277  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

@LoRd_MuldeR
Here is binary and source in Delphi. You can do with this code whatever you want.

Required components:
Embedded Web Browser -> https://sourceforge.net/projects/embeddedwb/
JEDI Visual Component Library -> http://jvcl.delphi-jedi.org/

DOWNLOAD -> http://www.mediafire.com/download/hh...wnloadCover.7z

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 4th October 2015 at 17:59.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2015, 17:20   #1278  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Oh jeez...

Seeing 'The Hoff' at any time of the day can be a bit of a shock
Old 9th October 2015, 11:31   #1279  |  Link
shmizan

when I put several flacs from different folders, for example 4 CDs with ~18 tracks in each, it sums up to ~70 tracks, and when choosing to name by track number, it names the first track of CD 2 as 19 - artist - title, instead of 01 - artist - title.
is there a possibility to change this behavior so it would name it according to the meta data track number?
shmizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 12:50   #1280  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmizan View Post
when I put several flacs from different folders, for example 4 CDs with ~18 tracks in each, it sums up to ~70 tracks, and when choosing to name by track number, it names the first track of CD 2 as 19 - artist - title, instead of 01 - artist - title.
is there a possibility to change this behavior so it would name it according to the meta data track number?
If you set "Position" to "Generate from list position" it does exactly what you describe: The file's "track number" will be set to the file's position on the list.

Set it to "Unspecified (copy from source)", if you wish to retain the "track number" stored in the original file - only works, if such info was present in the original file, of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
@LoRd_MuldeR
It would be cool if we could search and download cover art directly from LameXP. I've done similar app but for movie posters.

You could use http://musicdatabase.co/ as source.
This doesn't exactly make me confident about the legality of that "service":
http://musicdatabase.co/page/about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Oh jeez...

Seeing 'The Hoff' at any time of the day can be a bit of a shock
I have to admit, I loved watching Knight Rider, back in the 1980's. That and The A-Team (the original series I mean), of course

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 10th October 2015 at 12:56.

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis