Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th October 2020, 21:04   #60441  |  Link
mclingo

it wont be intentional., I see this kind of thing all the time, its not clear though if it was badly compressed before it was uploaded or whether this is purely caused by the youtube algo, this is why I worry about us losing blurays, this crap is all over streaming, its ruining TV shows for me, game of thrones was completely unwatchable on streaming.
Old 27th October 2020, 21:21   #60442  |  Link
Klaus1189

I agree it looks really bad ...
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2020, 21:52   #60443  |  Link
huhn

banding so bad it has macro blocking.
deband low fixes most of the banding mid pretty much all and leaves some macroblocks high fixes it pretty much completely i haven'T really checked it in detail.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2020, 22:03   #60444  |  Link
Klaus1189

How can it be this bad? Low encoder settings, wrong settings in NLE, ... ?
Old 27th October 2020, 22:10   #60445  |  Link
SamuriHL

Apparently you've never been subjected to xfinity's "enhanced hd" encoding of 1080 content to 720p. LOL
Old 27th October 2020, 22:14   #60446  |  Link
huhn

this is such a trivial task for a video codec (mostly static image) this should be a source problem i'm not even gonna start where they could have failed. i have seen stuff on BD where is is ultra high quality in comparison.

just "professionals" been "professionals".
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2020, 22:24   #60447  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Apparently you've never been subjected to xfinity's "enhanced hd" encoding of 1080 content to 720p. LOL
No, link or info please
Old 28th October 2020, 01:42   #60448  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
No, link or info please
Please understand this is a lengthy thread.

https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...o-720p.542203/

But the upshot is that Comcast (Xfinity) is downrezzing 1080i mpeg2 channels (including channels like HBO) to low bitrate (~3mbps) 720p even on their cable distribution network. The claimed reason is so they can have a unified experience between Xfinity Stream and their cable offering. Their encoder has improved slightly over the past few years, but only slightly and still at ultra low bitrate. The real reason they did this was to create more bandwidth for faster internet (docsis 3.1).

The reason I bring this up in the madvr thread is that madvr can restore some of this with some pretty aggressive settings. Quite frankly, more than my 2070 can realistically drive. I've got it compromised and still looking WAY better than the native nonsense they try to pass off as "enhanced hd". madvr is remarkable in what it can do, but, should it have to be restoring crappily encoded video from a content distributor? I'm gonna go with NO given that most streaming services offer 1080p dd+ at a bare minimum.
Old 28th October 2020, 03:29   #60449  |  Link
LordX2

I wasn't able to set custom res in madvr - my nvidia driver kept refusing it.

I am only losing 1 frame per hour, so it's not the biggest deal.

With something SO close, I wish there were a way to 'speed up' the audio to match the display. In my case it is 0.001% off - so I wouldn't notice the audio shift at all.

I know other players try this. If I am not mistaken, MPV player has a config line similar to: video-sync=display-refresh - or something like that.

I have no idea how hard something like that is to 'code', but seems like it would be the easier fix for a majority of users.

PS - I wish that drop could be taken from the display ahead frames. It never seems to though, it always just drops and is visible. If there was a way to force the dropped frame to come from the buffered frames, it wouldn't even be something we would all notice.
LordX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2020, 03:43   #60450  |  Link
Asmodian

Getting custom resolutions to work is the best way to do it but custom resolutions can be a huge pain. CRU is the most effective tool I know of, if madVR's doesn't work (common), but it can cause problems if you get too adventurous so be careful. You won't cause permanent damage but an OS reinstall might be the easiest way out if you don't have another display.

Reclock is how to do this with madVR as far as I know. I prefer smooth motion myself so I haven't used Reclock for a long time, but that is using 120+ Hz screens where smooth motion is better than it is at 60 Hz. The higher the better for smooth motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX2 View Post
PS - I wish that drop could be taken from the display ahead frames. It never seems to though, it always just drops and is visible. If there was a way to force the dropped frame to come from the buffered frames, it wouldn't even be something we would all notice.
This drop is intentional to keep the audio and video synced. What happens is that the video and audio slowly drift out of sync until the video is an entire frame ahead or behind when madVR drops or repeats a frame to get back in sync. There is simply no way to improve this without losing AV sync (or messing with the audio instead, e.g. Reclock).

Or doing something crazy like smooth motion.

Last edited by Asmodian; 28th October 2020 at 03:55.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2020, 04:02   #60451  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
I wasn't able to set custom res in madvr - my nvidia driver kept refusing it.
I had to use CRU to remove the 2160p24/30/60 resolutions (which also removes the 23, 29, and 59) and then add them back via madVR. Once I did that I was able to manipulate the timings. I've also had to hit the reset gpu button in madVR at times before I could change to more optimized timings of those resolutions.
glc650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2020, 04:48   #60452  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Or doing something crazy like smooth motion.
First, thank you so much for all the help these last few days - it really helped a ton with some of the other issues I had!

I know why the frame has to drop - just wish that dropped frame could be one of the ones presented in advance, so I didn't see it on screen.

What about resampling the video itself then to match the audio? Maybe that is what the MPV line does (video-sync=display-refresh)... who knows, I am not a programmer.

With how much processing madvr does to the video, adjusting the timing of it seems like it would avoid having to mess with refreshes so much for people who are really close.
Old 28th October 2020, 04:58   #60453  |  Link
SamuriHL

Please be aware that smooth motion is not going to work in the build you are using. That's the biggest bug in 113. You'll get a black screen with no video and wonder what the hell you did wrong. Lol

Also if you want perfect sync of audio and video then decode the audio with lav audio. Then you can use reclock or some players line jriver have video clock settings. Personally I'll take the frame hit to keep bitstream audio.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 28th October 2020, 05:20   #60454  |  Link
LordX2

Definitely agree - bitstream for sure.

Also agree on the 1 frame per hour hit. Just figured since I DEEP dove into the HDR tone mapping, if I could solve the frame drop too then great. If not, oh well!
Old 28th October 2020, 18:23   #60455  |  Link
Greenhorn

Quote:
First, thank you so much for all the help these last few days - it really helped a ton with some of the other issues I had!

I know why the frame has to drop - just wish that dropped frame could be one of the ones presented in advance, so I didn't see it on screen.

What about resampling the video itself then to match the audio? Maybe that is what the MPV line does (video-sync=display-refresh)... who knows, I am not a programmer.

With how much processing madvr does to the video, adjusting the timing of it seems like it would avoid having to mess with refreshes so much for people who are really close.
IIRC display resample:

1) adjusts video playback speed up to 1% to get an even/no-remainder divisor of your refresh rate, if it's possible

2) resamples audio to match, as best it can

3) periodically resamples audio a further 1% (of the 1%, I think-- total 1.01%) to try and adjust for clock drift

although it seemed kinda fragile when I was trying to migrate my HTPC setup over to mpv for a bit. Would routinely get 3-5 dropped frames to per hour despite all other stats (at least as measured by mpv) being perfect. Would be nice to have a similar feature in madVR, but I don't know if it'd really be possible outside of a monolithic software architecture like mpv has.

Last edited by Greenhorn; 28th October 2020 at 18:26.
Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2020, 18:35   #60456  |  Link
tzr916

Occassional Black Screen switching to FSE

What madvr version and options, or nvidia drivers work best to eliminate (or minimize) FSE black screen?

madVR v0.92.17 (JriverMC)
nVidia driver v456.71
GTX1660Ti 6GB
HDMI from PC to Denon to 4k Sony Tv

After 2.5yrs my GTX1060 died (in warranty RMA'ed), so decided good time to upgrade slightly to 1660Ti, update driver, and try FSE. Wow, this setup looks great! (when it works)

Using JriverMC for watching Live Tv and recorded shows (ts files), that are mixture of 1080p or 720p mpeg2 or h264, USA ATSC broadcast and cable. Upscaling everything to 2160p60.

With FSE enabled, about 1 out of 5 times, when starting live tv or file playback, the Tv screen stays all black, sound plays to AVR (bitstream). Only way to correct it, is to stop playback and re-start it. Once FSE locks in, the screen never goes black again, until starting a new video or changing tv channel. Channel surfing is out of the question.

Thanks for any help/comments
Old 28th October 2020, 18:44   #60457  |  Link
VBB

The best answer is, don't use FSE. Use FS windowed instead. If you absolutely must use FSE, right-click on your media player shortcut/executable -> Properties -> Compatibility -> check "Disable fullscreen optimizations".
Old 28th October 2020, 19:46   #60458  |  Link
Ænz

Hi. I have been trying desperately to get beyond the dropped frame every 4.50 min. with kodi DS Player. I can get acceptable results with madVR custom display mode or Custom resolution utility. But only in MPC-HC64. Nothing I do has any effect on DS Player. I need bitstreaming of audio for OCD, but atmos and dtsX as well.

Does anyone with nvidia gtx use DSplayer and get around this?
Ænz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2020, 20:03   #60459  |  Link
VBB

Use one of the newer 456.xx drivers. They took the drops from every 4.5 minutes to once every 1.05 hours.
Old 28th October 2020, 20:49   #60460  |  Link
Ænz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Use one of the newer 456.xx drivers. They took the drops from every 4.5 minutes to once every 1.05 hours.
I have tried the very newest drivers as well. They still give me dropped frame every 4.50 min!?
Ænz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling