Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2007, 05:00   #61  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer
 
Dark Shikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathTheSheep View Post
This is with subme7 patch and satd, obviously, which is good. Any other patches in here that would cause conflicts? And I assume this is r680?

If this is all clear, this is ready and rearin' to go!!
r676, but I don't think anything since then has changed this part of the file.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 05:21   #62  |  Link
DeathTheSheep
<The VFW Sheep of Death>
 
DeathTheSheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Deathly pasture of VFW
Posts: 1,149
Nice.

PS: Only 3 more posts to go, Dark Shikari...
__________________
Recommended all-in-one stop for x264/GCC needs on Windows: Komisar x264 builds!
DeathTheSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:07   #63  |  Link
morph166955
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 443
easiest way to create a diff:

1) make distclean (if needed)
2) svn diff > mydiff.diff

DONE! Thats how I build my patches. To apply I use "patch -Np0 -i mydiff.diff"
morph166955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 17:35   #64  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Posts: 1,953
F***. I have no internet for a few days, and this happens! So many patches, so little time to investigate all their merits and caveats and speed boosts and quality improvements and I'm exhausted typing this sentence already!

Back to simplicity for now! F***!

Good work morph166955 on compiling the list so it's at least more readable. Good work Dark Shikari on firstly explaining the patches well, and on getting 1000 posts.

Suggestion to the mods: STICKY!!!

And I hit 1000 posts a while ago and I didn't notice!
__________________
On Discworld it is clearly recognized that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. If the hero did not overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld
Inventive Software is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 17:43   #65  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer
 
akupenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by morph166955 View Post
1) make distclean (if needed)
Superfluous. None of the generated files is in the repository, so svn diff knows to ignore them.
akupenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 23:09   #66  |  Link
morph166955
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 443
fair enough...wasnt sure and i figured it couldnt really hurt matters to do a distclean before generating the diff.
morph166955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 00:39   #67  |  Link
dirio49
JuSt a PoWer uSEr
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: None of your Business
Posts: 288
No idea if it is the right thread.
but can anybody tell what do i need to cross compile x264 for win
i have gcc-minge32 4.2.1 installed (on gentoo)
thanks
what command(2) to i need to run

later

P.S. if it is in the wrong thread please move it.
__________________
Birthdays are good. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.
dirio49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 00:58   #68  |  Link
TheRyuu
warpsharpened
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 788
How would one go about updating the Subme 7 patch to be compatible with rev. 680?

or, would someone please do it?
I want to try it out but it's not patching correctly with rev 680.

Thanks.
TheRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 03:19   #69  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти
 
foxyshadis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lost
Posts: 9,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirio49 View Post
No idea if it is the right thread.
but can anybody tell what do i need to cross compile x264 for win
i have gcc-minge32 4.2.1 installed (on gentoo)
thanks
what command(2) to i need to run

later

P.S. if it is in the wrong thread please move it.
Check this thread: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=92726
__________________
There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 04:40   #70  |  Link
TheRyuu
warpsharpened
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 788
Ok, did some fiddling around and built it with the subme7 patch, faster dai patch, thread pool patch, and aq patch.

Those 4 patches I think are probably the 4 most use full patches that there are right now.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oo3j2l

Thats the build. It's generic (cpu needs mmx support though, which should basically be all of us).
Has build options of enable avis input, pthread, and mp4 output.

I have no idea if it works, all the patches were applied successfully except for the subme7 patch, which I had to manually copy and paste over (and delete lines), but it built, so I assume I did it correctly.

If you want me to try and build any other combination of patches, ask me and I might have free time to do it.

Last edited by TheRyuu; 11th October 2007 at 04:45.
TheRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 15:00   #71  |  Link
Raere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizboy11 View Post
Ok, did some fiddling around and built it with the subme7 patch, faster dai patch, thread pool patch, and aq patch.

Those 4 patches I think are probably the 4 most use full patches that there are right now.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oo3j2l

Thats the build. It's generic (cpu needs mmx support though, which should basically be all of us).
Has build options of enable avis input, pthread, and mp4 output.

I have no idea if it works, all the patches were applied successfully except for the subme7 patch, which I had to manually copy and paste over (and delete lines), but it built, so I assume I did it correctly.

If you want me to try and build any other combination of patches, ask me and I might have free time to do it.
Are you using r680?

Maybe you could make another build with imh and me-prepass? I use those, so they're useful for me. If they're not hard to implement, why not? Also, I don't know what they're calling hadamard these days, but can that be implemented too? As far as I know that's still somewhat useful. And maybe an SSE2 build, as I think most everyone who's encoding x264 at least has SSE2. I dunno, just a thought if you have time. Thanks!
Raere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 16:18   #72  |  Link
Terranigma
*Space Reserved*
 
Terranigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raere View Post
Are you using r680?
Also, I don't know what they're calling hadamard these days, but can that be implemented too?
--hadamard has been renamed to --fpel-cmp followed by satd (Sum of Absolute Hadamard Transformed Differences)
(Default, it uses Sum of Absolute Differences/SAD).
so, an e.g. would be
--fpel-cmp satd
satd is hadamard, and iirc, it made it in the svn.

Last edited by Terranigma; 11th October 2007 at 16:20.
Terranigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 16:55   #73  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman
 
Sharktooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Haddonfield, IL
Posts: 11,768
--fpel-cmp is not in the svn.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 17:22   #74  |  Link
Terranigma
*Space Reserved*
 
Terranigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
--fpel-cmp is not in the svn.
You're right, I just tested using rev. 680 from x264.nl:


Terranigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 06:11   #75  |  Link
TheRyuu
warpsharpened
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raere View Post
Are you using r680?

Maybe you could make another build with imh and me-prepass? I use those, so they're useful for me. If they're not hard to implement, why not? Also, I don't know what they're calling hadamard these days, but can that be implemented too? As far as I know that's still somewhat useful. And maybe an SSE2 build, as I think most everyone who's encoding x264 at least has SSE2. I dunno, just a thought if you have time. Thanks!
x264's main stuff is written in asm so using a build that used sse2 in it would pretty much be useless in terms of speed increase (considering only 1 part of x264 uses code that the compiler generates that way).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ei6xlw

That is x264 with the following patches:
-thread pool
-AQ
-IMH
-Faster dai
-Subme7
-me-prepass
-fpel (hadamard, or however you spell it)

Causes x264.exe to weigh in it a hefty 1.03mb
I have absolutely no idea if it'll work. It built fine without errors, so it should work. Have fun trying it out
All the patches together might in some way screw something up. I have no idea, but all the patches applied, applied without errors, those that did give errors were patched manually by hand.
TheRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 11:47   #76  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти
 
foxyshadis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lost
Posts: 9,413
Seems to work okay for me. SATD halving the speed while raising quality the tiniest bit. The other patches seem to be working okay too.
__________________
There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 13:46   #77  |  Link
Raere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizboy11 View Post
x264's main stuff is written in asm so using a build that used sse2 in it would pretty much be useless in terms of speed increase (considering only 1 part of x264 uses code that the compiler generates that way).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ei6xlw

That is x264 with the following patches:
-thread pool
-AQ
-IMH
-Faster dai
-Subme7
-me-prepass
-fpel (hadamard, or however you spell it)

Causes x264.exe to weigh in it a hefty 1.03mb
I have absolutely no idea if it'll work. It built fine without errors, so it should work. Have fun trying it out
All the patches together might in some way screw something up. I have no idea, but all the patches applied, applied without errors, those that did give errors were patched manually by hand.
Awesome, thanks! Works for me. I really have no idea about processor optimizations, so thanks for the info.
Raere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 21:40   #78  |  Link
TheRyuu
warpsharpened
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
SATD halving the speed while raising quality the tiniest bit.
Thats normal right?
TheRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 00:18   #79  |  Link
TheRyuu
warpsharpened
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 788
Another question:
What patches are worth while to actually use (like don't effect speed at all, or only effect speed a little, and obviously increase the quality).

So far I think that these are worthwhile:
-faster dia
-subme7 patch
-AQ
-thread pool (not really effecting quality but still a needed patch)

I'm curious about the following patches:
-fpel patch (heard this was really slow)
-me-prepass
-IMH (vs. exhaustive vs UMH)

btw, what do the bchanges and bssd patch do?

Thanks
TheRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 00:25   #80  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer
 
Dark Shikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizboy11 View Post
-faster dia
Not worthwhile. Proven to give dubious benefits in only some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizboy11 View Post
-fpel patch (heard this was really slow)
The --fpel patch with ESA is not much slower than regular ESA and somewhat better, so its "worthwhile" as an insane option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizboy11 View Post
-me-prepass
Useful as a higher-end option in place of using absurd numbers of refs. Can give a roughly 1-3% quality boost with the most recent version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizboy11 View Post
-IMH (vs. exhaustive vs UMH)
Pretty much useless with ESA now threaded.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
h.264, x264, x264 builds, x264 patches, x264 unofficial builds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.