Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd July 2018, 19:30   #1  |  Link
tppytel

Speeding up encodes of soft transfers?

I HEVC encode my bluray rips to save space on my Plex server. After some testing of various clips, I've mostly settled on crf17-18 slow for getting very high quality encodes at a file size and encode time I can live with. For older, grainier clips I usually run the video through smdegrain with light settings in avisynth to increase efficiency. I'm sure I could dig further at the settings and thoroughly test each and every source, but I'm happy enough with this in general even if it's not perfectly efficient.

However, I've noticed that encoding is extremely slow with softer sources like typical 70's and early 80's films. I was trying to encode Dog Day Afternoon (a mediocre ~22mbps VC-1 transfer) at crf18 slow and was getting only ~2.5fps. In comparison, It (2017) at crf17 slow got ~4.5fps. Usually I get 3-4fps on pre-digital films. Switching to crf18 medium, DDA encodes about 3 times faster (~7.5fps). This seems like a larger difference in speed between medium and slow compared to what I've seen on sharper transfers.

Is there any particular tweak I can make to the Slow preset to speed up encoding these soft transfers? I'm guessing that just dropping to Medium is too blunt an approach and that it loses quality in other areas (like motion) that have less effect on encoding time. I've looked through the various encoder options, but I'm not technically proficient enough to identify which ones would help me. Any advice is appreciated. Explanations of what precisely a given setting does and why it helps me would be fantastic, but certainly not necessary.

Thanks.

Last edited by tppytel; 22nd July 2018 at 19:32. Reason: typo
tppytel is offline   Reply With Quote