Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 10th October 2017, 16:41   #1  |  Link
jinkazuya

[Help] Access Violation Encoded In MEGUI

Well...To be brief, I have recently built a rig for encoding. The CPU is AMD threadripper with 32GB of ram and nvidia GeForce GTX 1080i. Anyway, I have installed avisynth+ with MT capable. Before that, I had avisynth 2.6 MT, the latest version. Unfortunately, it didn't work with HD videos and always gave me the out of memory errors and also was much slower compared to avisynth+. And the avisynth 2.6 MT only worked on DVD rip but worked pretty well except HD videos. So I switched to avisynth+, it is amazingly fast esp with the one that has MT built-in. The first few encodes were fine took about 17 mins for 45 mins of video for DVD rip. Then afterwards, it acted up. It always gave me access violation error half way of the encode and then crashed. In other word, it never completed the encoding. At first I thought it was a MEGUI problem, and I am still not sure. But I have tried a few different version of MEGUI, but still crashed and generated access violation halfway during the encoding.

I have also done the ram test - No problem. The rams are working fine. I also checked the CPU, the temperature was below 70 C. Graphic card no problem either. Attached with this message or post is the log of the plugins or scripts that I used.

Hope somebody could help please.

Last edited by jinkazuya; 11th October 2017 at 16:23.
jinkazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 16:54   #2  |  Link
poisondeathray

Attachments can take a few days to get approved . I'd recommend posting that to a 3rd party site, or even a free file host

If the crash occurs exactly at the same place each time, then maybe there is a problem with the source at that point. Or when you say "half way" did you mean approximately ?
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 21:42   #3  |  Link
jinkazuya

Yes approximately not really at the same point every time it occurred. Let says the video that megui determine's to be 750mb as the finished product of the encode. Inbetween 0 to 750mb, the error would occurs randomly and anytime during the encoding process. Sometimes it stopped at 350mb and sometimes it stopped at 500mb etc. But the same script and videos encoded with my old rig pc installed with ultimate window 7 with 8 threads enabled, it encoded pretty smoothly.
Old 10th October 2017, 22:50   #4  |  Link
Ma

You can test with the same source video & script but instead of x264 use x265 (with only --crf 18 option). If it will be also unstable, it is probably the script, if it will be stable -- x264.
Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 00:00   #5  |  Link
jinkazuya

I have to correct what I said previously. With avisynth+ installed on my old rig window 7 ultimate, testing on the same video, it also crashed every once and then. Does it mean avisynth+ is not stable enough or are some of the filters or plug-ins or even scripts not 100% compatible with avisynth+.

After I used avisynth+, I like it better than I do the regular avisynth. It is a lot faster and use's less cpu cores.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:33   #6  |  Link
poisondeathray

Avisynth+ MT is more commonly used now, and there aren't very many reports of issues like yours

It could be any number of things . It could be your hardware, or one of your plugins, or a specific issue with that x264 build.

If I had to guess, one of those plugins have threading issues. Check your plugins, for example
Quote:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins+\mt_masktools-26.dll")
That's not the pinterf branch of masktools2. That's the old masktool2. Many of the newer plugins have auto register for MT modes

So go through each of your plugins used in that script and make sure they are correct and updated

If you still have problems, use a methodical process of elimination

eg. start with using the script with different encoder like xvid in vdub, or just avsmeter . If that works, then problem is either with that x264 build or megui

If it's the same crash then start removing filters one by one and repeat
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 05:51   #7  |  Link
jinkazuya

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Avisynth+ MT is more commonly used now, and there aren't very many reports of issues like yours

It could be any number of things . It could be your hardware, or one of your plugins, or a specific issue with that x264 build.

If I had to guess, one of those plugins have threading issues. Check your plugins, for example

That's not the pinterf branch of masktools2. That's the old masktool2. Many of the newer plugins have auto register for MT modes

So go through each of your plugins used in that script and make sure they are correct and updated

If you still have problems, use a methodical process of elimination

eg. start with using the script with different encoder like xvid in vdub, or just avsmeter . If that works, then problem is either with that x264 build or megui

If it's the same crash then start removing filters one by one and repeat
Man...What the heck!!! I hate you dude. You know why? Because you are really AWESOME. I had been trying to figure out for a few days and wondered why it wouldn't work. But then you came here and just made a guess and posted the help reply and then it is just like what you said the masktools2 caused the problem and then after replaced it, everything worked like a charm. Anyway, instead of just replacing the masktools2, I also replaced every other old plugins or scripts that I used. It seems that you could predict or anticipates how or what works with the avisynth. You are really amazing. I greatly appreciate your help buddy.

BTW, I would also like the suggestions you gave me and the approach to solving the problem. One word FASCINATING and very professional!!!