Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th July 2015, 14:19   #31521  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hi there,
the latest Calman release now has some improvements when running Calman on the same PC as madTPG. The changes have been inspired by your "complaint"... So it would be awesome if you could try the new build and maybe provide feedback here:

http://www.spectracal.com/forum/view...hp?f=94&t=5729

Stacey Spears has actively asked for feedback about this. Would be great if you could tell him/us if it works better now, or if there's still something that could be improved.
Thank you. This generally seems to be working, though it doesn't seem to be entering FSE mode, so the LUT is only going to be based off 8-bit measurements rather than 10-bit.

Last edited by 6233638; 5th July 2015 at 14:22.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 14:33   #31522  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecurityBunny View Post
If there isn't a problem with it decoding 10bit encoding nowadays, I'll go ahead and enable DXVA2 (native) if that is the best option out of the three for quality and speed.
Some extremely old (poorly coded) videos can show pixelation with hardware acceleration on, but usually those are rare to come across these days. To a degree some of the madVR error correction features may lessen or eliminate some of the pixelation, but its hard to say for sure. Try with it enabled, and if you see pixelation in your videos then you can set it to none instead. Native should be the fastest given that it doesn't copy data back out to the system/cpu. Depending on the speed of your non-gpu components (memory/cpu) you may see/notice a difference between copyback and native, or you may not. Bottom line is in most cases native should be faster. This is more of a LAV than madVR topic. There are quite a bit of articles/posts about native vs copyback you can find with a search engine, and if those don't address the issue to your liking you can post in the LAV forum.

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 5th July 2015 at 14:36.
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 15:57   #31523  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
Some extremely old (poorly coded) videos can show pixelation with hardware acceleration on
With copyback? How is this possible?

Btw: There were copyback options in madVR some time ago. What happened to them?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 16:20   #31524  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Thank you. This generally seems to be working, though it doesn't seem to be entering FSE mode, so the LUT is only going to be based off 8-bit measurements rather than 10-bit.
Would you mind reporting this directly in the spectracal thread (link see my post which you quoted)? I mean I can play messenger and duplicate your posts there, and Stacey's posts here, but it would make the communication between the two of you very slow, and cost me additional time. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Btw: There were copyback options in madVR some time ago. What happened to them?
They got deleted because the latest LAV build has faster copyback routines than madVR ever had. If you want to use DXVA decoding with the best quality, use the LAV copyback functionality. If you want DXVA decoding with the fastest speed, use DXVA native, but then you'll get ever so slightly lower chroma quality with some GPUs (Intel, NVidia).
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 16:21   #31525  |  Link
aufkrawall

Alright, thanks.
Is OpenCL used on AMD to prevent quality loss?
Old 5th July 2015, 16:24   #31526  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

No. OpenCL interop cost on AMD is too high for OpenCL to be of use for things like that.
Old 5th July 2015, 17:37   #31527  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
That's a 4K image. Doubling that with super-xbr results in 8K. On my 1680x1050 LCD display I've no idea where to look in that image for differences. Can you create a screenshot comparison, with maybe a part extracted where the difference is especially strong in favor of Jinc?
I was talking about chroma upscaling, not image doubling. I also mentioned it in my post. Can you please check again or do you still need the screenshot comparison to be created?

Feedback on SuperRes:
Quote:
Questions:

1) Which image upscaling/doubling algorithm do you like to use with SuperRes and why?
2) Which values do you like for "strength" and "softness". Please note that the default values are strength=1.0, and softness=0.0. And these *may* be the best values. But you can still try other values to see if you like them more.
3) The "use HQ downscaling" option changes the overall "look" of SuperRes a bit. Which look do you prefer? Please note that with the option turned on, you may have to increase the number of passes, because the SuperRes effect is slightly less intense with this option turned on.
4) How many passes should be used as default?
1) NNEDI3 because of the least aliasing and ringing. It looks the cleanest.
2) The default values look good to me. I tried other values but could not decide whether it’s getting better or worse.
3) I prefer HQ downscaling to be enabled.
4) 2 passes look fine. However, I set the number of passes to 3. There is not much difference though.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 17:58   #31528  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
I was talking about chroma upscaling, not image doubling. I also mentioned it in my post. Can you please check again or do you still need the screenshot comparison to be created?
It's still a 4K image. On a quick check I didn't know where to look. I did a quick check but didn't see any obvious differences between Jinc or super-xbr chroma upscaling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
Feedback on SuperRes:

1) NNEDI3 because of the least aliasing and ringing. It looks the cleanest.
2) The default values look good to me. I tried other values but could not decide whether it’s getting better or worse.
3) I prefer HQ downscaling to be enabled.
4) 2 passes look fine. However, I set the number of passes to 3. There is not much difference though.
Thanks! You were using strength=1.0 and softness=0.0, right? I'm asking just to be sure, because madVR did store and reuse the settings you used from the older SuperRes.
Old 5th July 2015, 19:03   #31529  |  Link
edigee

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
cuvid does technically the same as dxva copyback it just force the GPU in high powerstate which totally beats the reason to use a harware decoder and to be honest i think CUVID is totally worthless these days. and the reddish would be a bug do you have a screen with OSD ?
You're right. Last time I saw those kind of difference was on a GT 640 and older versions of madVR. It seems there is OK now.
Attached Images

edigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 19:16   #31530  |  Link
THX-UltraII

It s been a while since I asked this question but are there ANY plans at all in the future to get madVR work with PowerDVD? I would LOVE to use a 3Dlut file with powerDVD!!!
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 19:19   #31531  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.88.15 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* super-xbr image doubling AR optimization: 20% performance boost
* super-xbr chroma upscaling now supports higher quality AR algo -> 6% slower
* super-xbr chroma "AR" option now switches between low/high AR quality
* modified Bilateral chroma upscaling algorithm parameters
Now image doubling with super-xbr is faster than doubling with Jinc AR!

For super-xbr chroma upscaling, v0.88.14 either supported "no AR" or the original super-xbr strict AR. Now v0.88.15 doesn't support "no AR", anymore. Instead the "activate anti-ringing filter" option now activates the slower high-quality madVR AR algorithm. With the "activate anti-ringing filter" option disabled, the strict AR algorithm is used instead. I know, this is slightly confusing, but I think it's more useful to offer these two different AR algos instead of offering no AR at all, considering that the strict AR is so fast that it barely makes a performance difference. I've thought about which AR algo to use when the AR option in madVR is activated. But my thinking was that users usually expect higher quality and slower performance when that option is enabled, so that's how I decided that with the option activated, the slower high-quality madVR AR algo is used, and with the option deactivated, the strict AR algo is used instead.

FWIW, at this point I think the stream of super-xbr tweaks from the previous weeks is at an end. No dramatic super-xbr changes planned for the near future, anymore.

Would still love to get more feedback about the new SuperRes algo.
Old 5th July 2015, 19:52   #31532  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Thanks for new release.

For some reason madshi.net domain is on Malvertising filter list by Disconnect (apparently uBlock addon uses this list). You might want to contact them to clear this up.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 20:05   #31533  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Thanks for the new release! What AR algorithm is used for super-xbr image doubling? Or does AR not make sense for that?
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 20:09   #31534  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
Thanks for new release.

For some reason madshi.net domain is on Malvertising filter list by Disconnect (apparently uBlock addon uses this list). You might want to contact them to clear this up.
Would you mind complaing to uBlock and/or Disconnect? I've already reported this false positive to them a full month ago, and they still haven't done anything about it. Honestly, Disconnect seems to suck big time. I've never had any company take even remotely this long to fix a false positive. The ironic thing is that my site has never had any advertizing, ever! So how could it possibly be added to some "malvertising" list??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
Thanks for the new release! What AR algorithm is used for super-xbr image doubling? Or does AR not make sense for that?
Image doubling uses the high quality madVR AR algorithm.
Old 5th July 2015, 20:16   #31535  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Image doubling uses the high quality madVR AR algorithm.
Thanks! That makes sense.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 20:39   #31536  |  Link
aufkrawall

The new AR filter for super-xbr is better than the original one, colors get better seperated with it instead of worse.
However, I still find the ringing more obvious than with Jinc AR, unless I set sharpness to 50. But this causes less clear color contrast again.
So I personally will stick to Jinc for chroma with its aspect of "positive ringing".

Have the values for SuperRes for chroma changed? I can't remember it worsening ringing with default values, but "now" it does.

NNEDI3 luma, eternal love..

Regarding SupeRes for image doubling: I'm still sticking to passes 1, strength 0.3, softness 0 and HQ downscaling.
Seems like a no brainer for me to use it at least this way since I never could see it making anything look worse.

Bilateral chroma upscaling is still terrible.
Old 5th July 2015, 21:41   #31537  |  Link
SecurityBunny

Quote:
Maybe I can see something if you create a debug log from this situation. Try to reproduce the problem quickly, so the log doesn't get too long. Then when the problem occurs, let it stutter for 10 seconds, do not change anything at that point (this is important! otherwise the log will be hard to interpret), then simply close the media player.
Here you go.

Went from windowed (1s) -> fullscreen (1s) -> windowed (1s) -> fullscreen (~10s) -> alt + f4 to close player in fullscreen. Queues not filling occurred, as well as playback appearing to stutter but not showing dropped frames.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hi8yiom7xc...20log.txt?dl=0

Not sure if it would make much of a difference, but here is another debug where I waited for queues to completely fill before switching modes. The bug occurred in both attempts and is easily repeatable by just toggling between windowed and fullscreen exclusive mode twice.

Windowed (3s) -> fullscreen (3s) -> windowed (3s) -> fullscreen (~10s) -> alt + f4.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqo5yif5vy...0log2.txt?dl=0

Again as a reminder, this only seems to occur with D3D11 10bit. D3D9 10bit and D3D11 8bit both seem to be fine.

In a completely unrelated situation, it seems unchecking fullscreen exclusive mode to use the windowed fullscreen path crashes the nvidia display driver immediately when attempting to go fullscreen. Not sure if it is a problem with Windows 10 build 10164, GeForce 353.38, or madVR - but have been experiencing this for a few months. I primarily use fullscreen exclusive for the 10bit output so it isn't a big concern for me, just thought I'd let you know about it.
SecurityBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 21:50   #31538  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
It s been a while since I asked this question but are there ANY plans at all in the future to get madVR work with PowerDVD? I would LOVE to use a 3Dlut file with powerDVD!!!

what would you get from powerdvd you can't get from anydvd hd if you want to use madVR?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 22:18   #31539  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
what would you get from powerdvd you can't get from anydvd hd if you want to use madVR?
Hi Huhn, PowerDVD (and TMT) are the only HTPC software player out there that can play frame packed 3D Blu-Ray movies.
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 22:34   #31540  |  Link
huhn

but even with madVR in these programs. madVR still can't do frame packed 3d.

Last edited by huhn; 6th July 2015 at 14:33. Reason: wow major fail yet again
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling