Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th June 2012, 16:13   #13281  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow1 View Post
but another problem, there is dropped frames when i use madVR = (
Your GPU is very slow. Try a faster scaling algo.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 06:26   #13282  |  Link
CraziFuzzy

Feature Request: Checkerboard DLP

So here's a possibly one of a kind feature I'm trying to cook up. not really sure if this is the part of the path to put it though. Here's the deal:

Texas Instruments DLP sets use a wobulation mirror to turn their half-res DLP chip's image into a full 1920x1080 image. This, in effect, is sort of a modified interlacing, where every other pixel (in a checkerboard pattern) is displayed every 120th of a second. What I'm thinking, is that this would allow for perfectly smooth 24Hz playback, without changing video mode from 1920x1080p60, if properly rendered into this checkerboard pattern. It would make sense to be done at the GPU level (simple for a pixel shader to handle). Expand the video up to 120Hz, then merge every frame pair down with a checkerboard mask (top left pixel is displayed first).

Here's a sample AVScript that technically WOULD be able to do it, if it weren't so slow:
Code:
ConvertFPS(120)
CheckerBoard=ImageSource("CheckerBoard.png")
Overlay(SelectOdd,SelectEven,mask=CheckerBoard)
ConvertFPS(60)
CheckerBoard.png is a 1-pixel black-white checkerboard, 1920x1080.

This FPS to 120, then recombine down to 60 isn't necessarily the most optimized method, but it's the only method that could almost automatically handle and input frame-rate. You could, instead, only perform this operation on 24Hz material, and instead simple buplicate images 2.5 times, with the half-frame checkerboarded.

I know this idea would result in incredibly smooth video, but I'm not a coder, and wouldn't know where to start. It would SEEM since you've already got some DeInt going on at the GPU level in MadVR, that this could be done there also - flagged on as an option for the certain display perhaps.
Attached Images

Last edited by CraziFuzzy; 11th June 2012 at 06:43.
CraziFuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 22:03   #13283  |  Link
TheElix

Page 666 must be the page where new madVR version will be announced.
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 03:46   #13284  |  Link
ajp_anton

Which means we're only halfway there.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 16:40   #13285  |  Link
dansrfe

Any idea on how to increase decoding speed or prevent frames from dropping when decoding 10bit? My CPU is showing ~70% consumption and there's still ~1.5GB of RAM left yet my present queue is dwindling around 0-2 to 3-4 with spikes in-between and I'm dropping 1-2 frames every other second or so. Queue settings 12/10/10/10 exclusive, 12/10/10/8 windowed. Default flush settings for both windowed and exclusive.

Filter chain:
MPC-HC x86 latest
madVR latest
LAV Filters x86 latest; mostly defaults.
ffdshow audio post processor to downmix via prologic to 2.0
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 18:14   #13286  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Then the control must not be disabling V-Sync with madVR.

EDIT: I have just tested this with a 1.85:1 aspect ratio film, and there absolutely is screen tearing with Aero off and V-Sync disabled. It happens to be right near the top of the image though, so it's probably not visible with 2.37:1 films as it will be hidden in the black bars.
I don't get tearing in FSE (old path), not even in the right corner or anything, with Aero off and vsync disabled/enabled. However, windowed mode is unwatchable with vsync off.

I just leave vsync on "let application decide" all the time anyway, you never know, vsync might come in handy with some specific game/application.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 19:45   #13287  |  Link
mzso

Hello!

I'm experiencing an issue with black levels. With some files the black level is way off, and I only get darkish grey instead of black. When I switched to another renderer it didn't happen. Anyone experienced this?
Here's a sample: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Byf...kI4YjVHNndqRVE
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 01:02   #13288  |  Link
Gelatinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Hello!

I'm experiencing an issue with black levels. With some files the black level is way off, and I only get darkish grey instead of black. When I switched to another renderer it didn't happen. Anyone experienced this?
Here's a sample: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Byf...kI4YjVHNndqRVE
open madVR config, go to devices>[your display]>properties, then toggle between PC Levels (0-255) and TV Levels (16-235) and see which looks better.
Gelatinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 10:32   #13289  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelatinous View Post
open madVR config, go to devices>[your display]>properties, then toggle between PC Levels (0-255) and TV Levels (16-235) and see which looks better.
I did that. It was on PC levels as it should. Switching to the other just makes all files wrong, and makes the test file worse.
Since then I've been tinkering with settings but nothing seems to work. Switched between driver versions also. (for gts450 BTW) Its the same with both PotPlayer and MPC-HC.
I tried resetting the settings with botha "restore default settings.bat" and manually by searching for madvr in the registry but even that didn't work. The settings didn't get reset to default.

On top all this I get quite significant aliasing with madvr on the reds even if I set everything to soft cubic 100, compared to EVR Custom with Potplayer's YV12 upsampling shader.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 05:26   #13290  |  Link
Andy o

I can't believe I'm saying this, but anyone has an idea if madVR, full quality, could run on a 2880x1800 display, with a GT650m? (You know what I'm talking about.)
Old 14th June 2012, 06:57   #13291  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but anyone has an idea if madVR, full quality, could run on a 2880x1800 display, with a GT650m? (You know what I'm talking about.)
If intel HD4000 can drive my 2560x1600 with spline, then I think 2880x1800 is not really a big deal.
Old 14th June 2012, 08:24   #13292  |  Link
DeadlyEmbrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Any idea on how to increase decoding speed or prevent frames from dropping when decoding 10bit? My CPU is showing ~70% consumption and there's still ~1.5GB of RAM left yet my present queue is dwindling around 0-2 to 3-4 with spikes in-between and I'm dropping 1-2 frames every other second or so. Queue settings 12/10/10/10 exclusive, 12/10/10/8 windowed. Default flush settings for both windowed and exclusive.

Filter chain:
MPC-HC x86 latest
madVR latest
LAV Filters x86 latest; mostly defaults.
ffdshow audio post processor to downmix via prologic to 2.0
Get a faster processor.
I have the same problem on my laptop(dual core), but my home rig(Quad core) hardly feels a 10bit file.
DeadlyEmbrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 13:40   #13293  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
I've been contemplating the same idea. Amazing hardware.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
Old 14th June 2012, 20:03   #13294  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyEmbrace View Post
Get a faster processor.
I have the same problem on my laptop(dual core), but my home rig(Quad core) hardly feels a 10bit file.
Currently I have a C2D @ 2.66GHz but my quad core desktop seems to take the file with ease as well.

Having said that I still don't understand why the C2D can't handle the decoding since the processor usage is barely touching 70%. What about the other 30%?
Old 14th June 2012, 20:08   #13295  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
What I fear the most is upscaling of 1080p content to that resolution. My monitor is 2048 x 1152p60 but it can change it's resolution (by some mechanism unknown to me) to 1080p24 (which I control in madVR's refresh rate changer) and it works perfectly without adding unnecessary burden on the GPU to sit there and upscale.

Anyone have any opinions on quality impact assuming that the GPU can scale 1080p -> 1800p ?

I realize that this is going from a high resolution to a very high resolution on a fairly small screen so it wouldn't make that much a difference but I wonder if there is some quantitative test that can be done to compare resolution scaling from high resolutions to higher resolutions in context of physical screen size.

Big fan of the retina display resolution though. iPhone 4, iPad 3 and possibly the new MacBook?? The cost is a bit high as of now though.

Last edited by dansrfe; 14th June 2012 at 21:50.
Old 14th June 2012, 20:51   #13296  |  Link
SamuriHL

$3300 bucks for the one I just priced out for myself. YIKES. But it'd be a nice screen for movies and madVR would rock on something like that.
Old 14th June 2012, 22:32   #13297  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
What I fear the most is upscaling of 1080p content to that resolution. My monitor is 2048 x 1152p60 but it can change it's resolution (by some mechanism unknown to me) to 1080p24 (which I control in madVR's refresh rate changer) and it works perfectly without adding unnecessary burden on the GPU to sit there and upscale.

Anyone have any opinions on quality impact assuming that the GPU can scale 1080p -> 1800p ?
Again, I've been doing 720p/1080p -> 1600p for years. Intel HD4000 can handle that with madVR spline 3/4 taps. I don't think you'd have a problem with that with 650m. I'm not sure what exactly are you worrying about the "quality?" It is what it is. For upscaling, you can pick your poison between blurriness or ringing. Finding the best in-between of that depends on your personal opinion. Rescaling at high resolution is not different from lower one. There is no reference point to divide between high and low in the first place.

About your monitor, unless it's a CRT, what happen is of course it uses its internal resizer, which I would not use over madVR's. And my guess is that 24p is a fake as well. I'd just left it as native and let madVR/Reclock doing the best they can.

Slightly off topic: Still, I don't see a reason why you'd want a high dpi screen for movies. I'm a pixel junkies when it comes to works. I've been waiting for high DPI monitors to come out in "consumer" price range for years. Hopefully this MacBook pro would start the trend so I can get high DPI monitor later (Don't use a mac, and have no plan to). But for movies, anything higher than the movies' resolution itself is a waste IMO. And from what it looks like, we're going to stuck with 1080p for years to come. Well, you could say you buy for the future I guess, but I think by the time I have something bigger than 1080p to watch, the matching resolution screen/projector would be much cheaper and better option than buying that MacBook now.

Also, I personally not "seriously" watching movie in a laptop. I'd get a monitor/projector for that.

Last edited by Hypernova; 14th June 2012 at 22:37.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 23:07   #13298  |  Link
SamuriHL

In my case it's not for main viewing. I'm looking into a new notebook sometime this year or early next and I simply like the specs of the hardware. The screen will ROCKS for picture editing. The idea of doing movies on it is for when I'm traveling. Better than my 10.1" Xoom. I need to price a similarly configured windows laptop (obviously minus the screen) and see if the price differential is so high that I'd be insane to get the macbook pro simply for the hardware. But you gotta admit, it's a beast.
Old 14th June 2012, 23:49   #13299  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
In my case it's not for main viewing. I'm looking into a new notebook sometime this year or early next and I simply like the specs of the hardware. The screen will ROCKS for picture editing. The idea of doing movies on it is for when I'm traveling. Better than my 10.1" Xoom. I need to price a similarly configured windows laptop (obviously minus the screen) and see if the price differential is so high that I'd be insane to get the macbook pro simply for the hardware. But you gotta admit, it's a beast.
For photo editing, that make sense. If you could hold on to next year I'd do it though. Haswell's coming, and if you read the Building Windows 8 blog, they also expected a 2560x1600+ in 11" screen IIRC. So high DPI is probably coming to Windows laptop as well.

Back to madVR, it's a shame there is probably no way to get it run on Windows RT. I'll probably have to stick with x86-64 version. Now I wonder if whatever GPU that come with Clover Trail will be able to handle madVR.
Old 15th June 2012, 00:11   #13300  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
For photo editing, that make sense. If you could hold on to next year I'd do it though. Haswell's coming, and if you read the Building Windows 8 blog, they also expected a 2560x1600+ in 11" screen IIRC. So high DPI is probably coming to Windows laptop as well.

Back to madVR, it's a shame there is probably no way to get it run on Windows RT. I'll probably have to stick with x86-64 version. Now I wonder if whatever GPU that come with Clover Trail will be able to handle madVR.
To me the pairing of a 650m on that macbook pro is a perfect match. I just got through updating my HTPC's and both are running nVidia. My main HTPC is a 3770k with a 680 and it is AWESOME for madVR. I have FSE turned off and have nary a blip. As awesome as Haswell is going to be, I could certainly stick with IVB across all my machines. I just don't have the money for any other machines right now and I BADLY want to upgrade my TV. I think that'll end up taking precedence over a new laptop this year. In the end I may end up getting Haswell anyway just because I doubt I can finance another major purchase until then. Whatever I get will have to work with madVR though. It's a requirement.

As for Windows RT, that's an interesting idea, but, who knows what's involved there. Does it support directx? I honestly haven't looked into the platform to know enough about what it supports and doesn't.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling