Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 6th January 2006, 19:31   #121  |  Link
Selur

Ok, seems like I'm doing something wrong, I downloaded tcpmp.win32.0.71g.zip (from http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/) and ice_age_2-tlrD_h1080p.mov (from http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/ice_age_2/hd/), remuxed ice_age_2-tlrD_h1080p.mov into ice_age_2-tlrD_h1080p.mp4 using Quicktime 7pro.
Then I unziped tcpmp.win32.0.71g.zip, started player.exe, ignored the message about the aac audio decoder, opened the mp4 file and tried to play it. => 100% CPU usage and a no way watchable (to slow, skipping frames) playback. Playback works fine in TCMP using ffdshow for Audio&Video decoding, no problem watching the mp4 smoothly. (70-99% CPU usage, would be a bit less if I would use ffdshow to convert the aac stream on the fly to ac3)

Shouldn't this work? Am I doing something wrong?

Cu Selur

Ps.: running WinXpro 32bit with newest updates, 2GB RAM, Athlon 64bit 3500+, display resolution: 1920x1200.
Selur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 19:35   #122  |  Link
bond

selur, you need to get avc.plg, which is available together with the aac.plg in an extra package on the page

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 19:40   #123  |  Link
Selur

Ah, okay, thx.
Just tested the directshowdecoder.
CPU usage dropped to 46-75%, nice.

Thx, bond worked fine, CPU usage even dropped another 5%.

Cu Selur

Ps.: Nice work CoreCoded-Team

Last edited by Selur; 6th January 2006 at 19:59.
Old 6th January 2006, 19:49   #124  |  Link
JoeBG
stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond
selur, you need to get avc.plg, which is available together with the aac.plg in an extra package on the page
@ Selur

You got it?

Joe
------------------------
freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose
JoeBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 20:26   #125  |  Link
Selur

yup, that's why I inserted 'Thx, bond worked fine, CPU usage even dropped another 5%.'
Old 7th January 2006, 01:54   #126  |  Link
cjei

I hope CoreAVC can have these color conversion options :
ColorMatrix("Rec.709->Rec.601")
ColorMatrix("Rec.601->Rec.709")
ColorYUV(levels="TV->PC")

Because vmr7&9 seems to need PC scale YUV
and overlay needs Rec.709 for HD.
cjei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2006, 03:18   #127  |  Link
falcon2000eg

Quote:
Originally Posted by [)370|\|470!2
Is there any way of adjusting brightness/contrast?
yes i hope that (in the dshow decodr i mean) to quit using ffdshow.
falcon2000eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2006, 11:41   #128  |  Link
[Toff]

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon2000eg
yes i hope that (in the dshow decodr i mean) to quit using ffdshow.
Graphic cards already have settings for that, why would you want to have settings in each video decoder ? That mean that each time you install a new decoder, you have to tweak its settings. If you want to have 2 or more configurations, for example for day and night, you need to change again all the settings in all the video decoders.
Old 7th January 2006, 11:58   #129  |  Link
[)370|\|470!2
dentist-experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Toff]
Graphic cards already have settings for that, why would you want to have settings in each video decoder ? That mean that each time you install a new decoder, you have to tweak its settings. If you want to have 2 or more configurations, for example for day and night, you need to change again all the settings in all the video decoders.
It's not always help to brighten the picture, especially when color conversion applied. Darken details are still unwatchable.
Old 7th January 2006, 12:20   #130  |  Link
[Toff]

Quote:
Originally Posted by [)370|\|470!2
It's not always help to brighten the picture, especially when color conversion applied. Darken details are still unwatchable.
How would that be different with decoder level brigthness settings ?
Old 7th January 2006, 12:29   #131  |  Link
[)370|\|470!2
dentist-experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Toff]
How would that be different with decoder level brigthness settings ?

Hmm, just thought, that applying brightness before rendering on more deeper level is more effective...
Old 7th January 2006, 19:23   #132  |  Link
bobololo

I did a quick test using TheGreatestGame_HD_AVC.mp4 trailer (1920x1080p) available from nerodigital.com and timeCodec from Haali. I'm running an AMD X2 4400+ @ 2420 MHz.

Nero: 52.3 fps
CoreAVC: 45.3 fps
Ateme: 30.6 fps

As you can see CoreAVC shows really good performance it's only beaten by nero decoder which exploits both cores of my CPU while others don't.
bobololo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2006, 19:34   #133  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobololo
I did a quick test using TheGreatestGame_HD_AVC.mp4 trailer (1920x1080p) available from nerodigital.com and timeCodec from Haali. I'm running an AMD X2 4400+ @ 2420 MHz.

Nero: 52.3 fps
CoreAVC: 45.3 fps

As you can see CoreAVC shows really good performance it's only beaten by nero decoder which exploits both cores of my CPU while others don't.
well bobololo left some of his values away:
the values he posted are for plain decoding (eg via avisynth). for playback (via directshow) the display fps shown by haalis tool are important and these are in bobololo's setup:

CoreAVC: 45.1 fps
Nero: 36.1 fps

as you can see coreavc is faster than nero for playback, even altough nero is multithreaded and coreavc isnt, so i wouldnt say nero is able to beat it at all

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 7th January 2006, 20:48   #134  |  Link
videomixer9
ffdshow fan

Athlon XP 3000+, 1 GB Dualchannel DDR333 RAM, TheGreatestGame_HD_AVC.mp4, Haali timeCodec

ffdshow 04 Jan 2006
User: 173s, kernel: 0s, total: 174s, real: 180s, fps: 21.1, dfps: 20.3
CoreAVC:
User: 107s, kernel: 0s, total: 107s, real: 111s, fps: 34.1, dfps: 32.8

Plays fine and in sync with CoreAVC and stutters otherwise, I guess I say byebye to ffdshow, too bad I cannot use quicktime decoder in timeCodec as I'm sure that one would be by far slower, tried with an apple trailer that stutters around totally in Quicktime Player and test result was this, besides the totally fluent playback in the player (x-men_3-pre_teaser_h1080p.mov):
User: 42s, kernel: 0s, total: 42s, real: 48s, fps: 55.7, dfps: 49.4
Apple ever going to update their crappy decoders? I got lots of ppl that think their PC is not ready for HDTV stuff because of the bad performance of Quicktime ...

Hope CoreAVC will be improved and regularly released soon!

Last edited by videomixer9; 7th January 2006 at 21:05.
videomixer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2006, 20:52   #135  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

What a fabulous little MPEG-4 AVC decoder....

With it I've been able to play some 1280x720 samples quite perfectly, samples that previously stuttered

Great work guys.... once AR signalling detection is included, it will be a brilliant little MPEG-4 AVC decoder

Cheers
Old 8th January 2006, 04:46   #136  |  Link
bobololo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond
well bobololo left some of his values away:
the values he posted are for plain decoding (eg via avisynth). for playback (via directshow) the display fps shown by haalis tool are important and these are in bobololo's setup:

CoreAVC: 45.1 fps
Nero: 36.1 fps

as you can see coreavc is faster than nero for playback, even altough nero is multithreaded and coreavc isnt, so i wouldnt say nero is able to beat it at all
LOL that's really funny to see how strong you're defending OSS things (is CoreAVC OSS btw ?) against evil commercial things . That even brings you to post mis-leading information without rigorously checking them !

To come back to the topic, our main interest here is to compare the raw performance of the decoders no matter what there is around (dshow, displaying, rendering, etc.). And this raw performance is indicated by the fps entry from timeCodec as Haali explained to you. I provided the figures corresponding to it in my post above.

The display fps (dfps) gives the actual framerate of the whole display graph if I understand correct and therefore it includes many things like parsing, rendering, output color conversion, displaying, etc. that are to my opinion out of the previous scope.

I don't know the reason why the dfps is quite lower with nero decoder, but it's rather abnormal since I used the null renderer in which case the fps should be close to the dfps (as it's verified with other decoders btw). I have the feeling that for some reasons, an unknown additional filter had been added in nero's case and drastically slowed down the display graph given its poor result. Whatever the cause, it doesn't change the raw performance figures showing that nero is faster than CoreAVC and there is no discussion possible here (unless there are some issues in the way timeCodec does its job).

And as a conclusion to my 2 cents' comment , I would suggest you to spend your energy bitching CoreAVC devs to exploit MT optimization to definitively bring it far ahead from others decoders instead of trying to arrange actual facts that don't please your taste . That would be much more useful for the development progress !

Last edited by bobololo; 8th January 2006 at 04:51.
bobololo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2006, 08:20   #137  |  Link
fight2win
What's in a name dude !

hi,
i have done some avc encodes using megui x264, high profile with jvt turned on, so will core avc decoder be able to play them?
fight2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2006, 13:20   #138  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobololo
LOL that's really funny to see how strong you're defending OSS things (is CoreAVC OSS btw ?) against evil commercial things . That even brings you to post mis-leading information without rigorously checking them !
coreavc is not oss, as i see it its indeed a "commercial" solution, given away for free tough (till now)

i simply posted the info you left away, i see nothing wrong with that

Quote:
To come back to the topic, our main interest here is to compare the raw performance of the decoders no matter what there is around (dshow, displaying, rendering, etc.). And this raw performance is indicated by the fps entry from timeCodec as Haali explained to you. I provided the figures corresponding to it in my post above.
"our" interest is not what you described here, as its not your job to decide what our main interest is.

imho the main interest is how nero and coreavc perform during playback, as currently avc decoders are as good as always used for playback
if nero does some wierd colorspace conversion or something else during playback which slows it down, it still makes it slower than coreavc during playback

therefore the dfps value is interesting and shows that during playback coreavc is faster than nero
you should have at least provided us that info

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis

Last edited by bond; 8th January 2006 at 13:48.
Old 8th January 2006, 15:00   #139  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

Bond use simple core CPU
bobololo use dual core CPU

perhaps simple SMTP optimisation for Nero Decoder ... ???

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2006, 15:09   #140  |  Link
lexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittaire
Bond use simple core CPU
bobololo use dual core CPU

perhaps simple SMTP optimisation for Nero Decoder ... ???
that's not what's happening above, from my understanding of what bobololo did, is that he just measured performance of pure decoding (without playback) to raw of each decoder. bond posted bobololo's figures but with playback component added in, I think the number bond posted are also from bobololo's test not bond's own, just bobololo didn't post those since he compared the raw perfomace.

As you can see both ateme and coreavc didn't take a performance hit (barely a dent in decimal part) when you add the playback component in (since they are both single threaded, just like dsfilters and players) whereas nero took a nose dive since its multi-threaded performance was negated by necessity to wait for the single threaded dsfilters and players.

I think the result of the comparison that bobololo made is that it doesn't matter if one step is multi-threaded, you gotta get all software in your playback chain multi-threaded, or you don't get benefit. Thanks for that bobo makes me feel better about not having dual core just yet.

Last edited by lexor; 8th January 2006 at 15:13.
lexor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
codec, coreavc, corecodec, coremvc, cuda, decoder, dxva, h.264, mvc, scam