Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 10th December 2015, 12:44   #841  |  Link
romulous

Hi,

I have a DVB sample which does not appear to show the subtitles in the correct place, and I am trying to work out where the problem lies (sub renderer, player etc). Here is the sample:
https://mega.nz/#!twQwSAjY!AxQEHK1MY...k4RRCnFiWQbq8Y (100MB)

So, with xy-VSFilter, the subs show down towards the bottom of the video, but slightly to the right hand side. With XYSubFilter, the subs show bunched up in about the middle of the video, on the very left hand side. I'm sure that XYSubFilter is not correct (the subs should be at the bottom of the video, centered I believe), and I don't think xy-VSFilter is correct either (it appears they are slightly to the right instead of the center, at least to my eyes).

Any advice would be appreciated. Using xy-VSFilter 3.0.0.306 with EVR (non custom) and XYSubFilter 3.1.0.746 with madVR v0.89.17.

romulous
romulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 20:17   #842  |  Link
KoD

If you see on the madVR OSD (Ctrl+J in MPC) that the resizer used is DXVA like in the screenshots here, then you have exactly the issue I have reported since the 16th of November.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 02:16   #843  |  Link
romulous

Thanks KoD. Yes, OSD shows DXVA. It took me a while to track the cause of that down - I do not have any of the DXVA options in the scaling algorithms selected. As it turns out, disabling 'Automatically Enabled Deinterlacing when Needed' option in madVR fixes the issue. Obvious madVR bug.

romulous
romulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 16:49   #844  |  Link
Sm3n

hi

I still don't 100% understand how to make my subtitles always rendering the same size/aspect no matter which resolution the movies are.
It's been a while now I'm using your plugin with both (the last) mpc-hc & madvr.

I noticed that the size is smaller if the movie I'm watching is cropped. is it possible to ask to madvr or your plug to always be applied (after the rendering?) on a 1920x1080 screen.
of course I tried everything that is in my knowledge by changing the options. But I see no other thing I can do except asking here, again. ^^'

of course you'll get what I mean. uhuh

cheerz thanks in advance.
Sm3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:41   #845  |  Link
KoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulous View Post
Thanks KoD. Yes, OSD shows DXVA. It took me a while to track the cause of that down - I do not have any of the DXVA options in the scaling algorithms selected. As it turns out, disabling 'Automatically Enabled Deinterlacing when Needed' option in madVR fixes the issue. Obvious madVR bug.

romulous
It's actually not a bug. DVB streams are very likely interlaced content, so performing deinterlacing on them is what's expected if the decoder does not do it by itself. I would guess that you have "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing native DXVA decoding" and/or "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinteracing" enabled in the rendering > trade quality for performance madVR settings page, as they are enabled by default, which combined with your other settings is why you saw DXVA being used for resizing. If you disable these settings, then DXVA will no longer be used for scaling as long as you don't enable it explicitly in the image down/upscaling page. The "Automatically Enable Deinterlacing when Needed" should stay enabled, or your TV streams will not be deinterlaced and will look worse.

Anyway, the latest madVR release 0.89.19 has fixed the issue of vobsub positioning, so even if you use DXVA for scaling, it will still be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm3n View Post
hi

I still don't 100% understand how to make my subtitles always rendering the same size/aspect no matter which resolution the movies are.
It's been a while now I'm using your plugin with both (the last) mpc-hc & madvr.

I noticed that the size is smaller if the movie I'm watching is cropped. is it possible to ask to madvr or your plug to always be applied (after the rendering?) on a 1920x1080 screen.
of course I tried everything that is in my knowledge by changing the options. But I see no other thing I can do except asking here, again. ^^'

of course you'll get what I mean. uhuh

cheerz thanks in advance.
If you use xy-vsfilter, then the subtitles are rendered on top of the original video frame, before the renderer gets the frame and scales it up to 1920 x 1080.
If you use xy-subfilter, then the renderer gest the original video frame, scales it up to 1920 x 1080 and then renders the subs on top of this scaled up frame - this is when you get those crisp looking subs.

I guess the latter is exactly what you want!

So, if you are not using the xysubfilter.dll yet, download the archive containing it from the first page, place its content in a folder somewhere (and don't move it afterwards from there), right-click on the "Install_XySubFilter.bat" file and select "Run as administrator".

Then if you are using MPC-HC, make sure to select in its Options -> Playback -> Output settings page a renderer like EVR (custom presenter) or madVR which can use xy-subfilter, and chose XySubFilter as the Subtitle renderer on the same page.

And if you are using madVR, then in its processing -> zoom control settings page, disable "move subtitles", or you will get randomly resized and positioned subtitles; the setting is intended to move the subtitles in the black bar below the movie frame, but an automated algorithm is only going to work fine some times, and other times not.

If your subtitles are plain text files, with no positioning info (like SRT), then you can control the font used, and the size of the font, and the subtitle margins by opening the xy-subfilter properties page while a movie file containing such subs is playing, with a right-click on the video surface in MPC -> Filters -> XySubFilter -> Properties -> Styles, which gives you a configuration dialog.

If your subtitles are ASS/SSA text subs, then they contain positioning and font type and size info, and those subtitles are meant to be displayed at the position and with the size specified in the subtitle, so you should not override that (like what you would do if you select "Force default" in the xy-subfilter properties page).

Same thing happens with DVD and BluRay subs - these are images which contain the "drawings" of the subtitle characters at a specific position, so it's better to not try to override these either (using the VobSub override placement in the xy-subfilter properties page).

Last edited by KoD; 22nd December 2015 at 16:10.
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:22   #846  |  Link
Reign

I couldn't see if it was mentioned but it seems XySubFilter 3.1.0.746 has an issue where it doesn't change position according to padding at all. I only tried adding vertical padding but regardless my subtitles didn't move at all. Works perfectly with the ISR using MPC-HC, I'm sure it worked in previous versions as well.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:13   #847  |  Link
Sm3n

@KoD Yep, I'm using xysubfilter actually.

My config is set exactly like you suggest. And I'm quite sure I tried everything that was possible to do. I'll test xyvsfilter to see the difference.
Here are 2 frames:
https://picload.org/image/wggrwwg/1920x820.jpg
https://picload.org/image/wggrwwd/1920x1080.jpg

IF I play the cropped one, I have to change the size of the police to 22. And if next I play a noncropped 1080p of course I have to set back to original size (18 or 20) because it's too large.
I don't fully get where the problem is and if it's settable once for all.

Plus it's a pain in the ass to really well understand what you try to kindly explain to me. english is not really my native language.

@cyberbeing I still have to special version you made but I'm still thinking that is not solving the issue.

I tried vsfilter but I can't get it to work for now. No sub shown in the player.

Last edited by Sm3n; 22nd December 2015 at 22:34.
Old 23rd December 2015, 16:15   #848  |  Link
KoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm3n View Post
@KoD Yep, I'm using xysubfilter actually.

My config is set exactly like you suggest. And I'm quite sure I tried everything that was possible to do. I'll test xyvsfilter to see the difference.
Here are 2 frames:
https://picload.org/image/wggrwwg/1920x820.jpg
https://picload.org/image/wggrwwd/1920x1080.jpg

IF I play the cropped one, I have to change the size of the police to 22. And if next I play a noncropped 1080p of course I have to set back to original size (18 or 20) because it's too large.
I don't fully get where the problem is and if it's settable once for all.

Plus it's a pain in the ass to really well understand what you try to kindly explain to me. english is not really my native language.

@cyberbeing I still have to special version you made but I'm still thinking that is not solving the issue.

I tried vsfilter but I can't get it to work for now. No sub shown in the player.
Ah, I have misunderstood what the problem is. Looking at your screenshots, I notice the two movies have different frame sizes. I did a test now with two video files that have different sizes like you did, and I've encountered the same issue.

This is likely a bug in xysubfilter, or in MPC-HC.

So please disregard my ramblings above, they are not going to help you.
Old 23rd December 2015, 16:54   #849  |  Link
Nullack

Hi

Where are the commit logs for this trunk so I can see what new commits are being made in the beta? I got lost in old sections that havent changed in ages.

How long is beta 3 going to be in beta?

Thanks
Nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 04:13   #850  |  Link
Sm3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD View Post
Ah, I have misunderstood what the problem is. Looking at your screenshots, I notice the two movies have different frame sizes. I did a test now with two video files that have different sizes like you did, and I've encountered the same issue.

This is likely a bug in xysubfilter, or in MPC-HC.

So please disregard my ramblings above, they are not going to help you.
OK so it's well a very well known issue with unfortunately no possibility to "fix" that.
No problem. thx for your time
Old 3rd January 2016, 14:51   #851  |  Link
GCRaistlin

XySubFilter (XySubFilter_3.1.0.746_x86_BETA3.zip) prevents DVD menu's graphical elements to be displayed: http://mir.cr/GIWVXEN8
With XySubFilter, ticks aren't displayed when pointing mouse cursor on DVD menu buttons.
WinXP SP3, MPC-HC 1.7.10.40, madVR 0.89.19.
Offtopic: is there a way to create bug reports on github?

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 15:25   #852  |  Link
wanezhiling

https://www.sendspace.com/file/v570s4

0:00:14.28 ~ 0:00:48.90

Can't renderer the sub smoothly
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 20:16   #853  |  Link
neocode

I have a video here that xysubfilter is crashing.
Is xysubfiler still being developed?
If yes, how can I submit the crash report?
neocode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 21:56   #854  |  Link
KoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
XySubFilter (XySubFilter_3.1.0.746_x86_BETA3.zip) prevents DVD menu's graphical elements to be displayed: http://mir.cr/GIWVXEN8
With XySubFilter, ticks aren't displayed when pointing mouse cursor on DVD menu buttons.
WinXP SP3, MPC-HC 1.7.10.40, madVR 0.89.19.
Offtopic: is there a way to create bug reports on github?
I imagine you are using QuickSync as the decoder option in MPC-HC. I can reproduce the issue on your sample file when using quicksync in MPC-HC as well. If I pick the software decoder, or DXVA copyback, there are no issues.

If I use ZoomPlayer instead of MPC-HC, with lav external filters and quicksync as the active decoder in lav video, the issue does not happen though either. It's only in MPC-HC.

So I would say the problem might not be the QuickSync decoder, but a bug in MPC-HC. In any case, it does not look like it's an issue with xy-subfilter.

PS: it's also possible to keep using quicksync as the default decoder option, but have the DVD option unchecked in the "Codecs for HW Decoding" group, to let the software decoder be used for DVDs and have menus work ok. Though, I actually would advise to disable MPEG-2 support in general when using quicksync, and not only for DVDs.
PPS: I just tested with MPC-HC 1.7.8.123 x86 from March last year, and the problem does not happen there either. So it's definitley an issue in recent versions of MPC-HC.
PPPS: Aftre more tests, I noticed that sometimes it works even in the latest MPC-HC. So, it's something random. Might really be related to using QuickSync after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanezhiling View Post
https://www.sendspace.com/file/v570s4

0:00:14.28 ~ 0:00:48.90

Can't renderer the sub smoothly
I confirm this as well, the subtitles queue in madVR gets to 1 immediately and playback becomes a slideshow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neocode View Post
I have a video here that xysubfilter is crashing.
Is xysubfiler still being developed?
If yes, how can I submit the crash report?
I don't think there's anyone doing active development anymore. But it's worth having samples known to cause a crash in the filter, maybe someone wants to give it a try. If it's xy-subfilter causing the crash, then very likely all that's needed is the subtitle file itself. That would be more useful than a crash report or the entire video file.

You may use something like wikisend dot com or some other file upload service (or even pastebin).

Is it an external srt file? Then just give that file. Or if it's inside a mkv file, extract it from there with something like mkvcleaver + mkvtoolnix.

Last edited by KoD; 6th January 2016 at 22:41.
Old 7th January 2016, 10:37   #855  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
I imagine you are using QuickSync as the decoder option in MPC-HC
No. The only change I made to the default MPC-HC configuration is setting video renderer to madVR and subtitle renderer to XySubFilter.

Quote:
I just tested with MPC-HC 1.7.8.123 x86 from March last year, and the problem does not happen there either. So it's definitley an issue in recent versions of MPC-HC.
I confirm. Will report to the MPC-HC bug tracker.

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 05:02   #856  |  Link
Warlock

Are there any plans for a new xy-subfilter?
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 06:36   #857  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Are there any plans for a new xy-subfilter?
That will all depend on if the developer comes back. There doesn't appear to be any pressing issues so we might just end up seeing beta 3 become final soon perhaps with a fix or two for the issues above.

At this point I'd say xysubfilters development is probably done, and that a replacement is likely to come some time in future, but I suspect that'll be some time away.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 06:52   #858  |  Link
thewebchat
Advanced Blogging

This file (https://www.sendspace.com/file/72tp1o) crashes XySubFilter (64-bit) since BETA3 when played at greater than 1x zoom. Problem occurs at the end of the file. Happens with EVR-CP and mVR. Crash disassembly shows bad function pointer (vtable?) call.

Last edited by thewebchat; 24th February 2016 at 06:54.
thewebchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 18:44   #859  |  Link
mecedo

Will XySubFilter have profiles or keystrokes for positioning subtitles in the future? Any chances?
mecedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 17:04   #860  |  Link
a8213711

Anyone else having problem with http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subt...573531/gigi-en (direct download: http://dl.opensubtitles.org/en/downl...8d030f/3573531)?
Character with accent marks like on 3.11 or 38.57 aren't shown properly on my PC, while on VLC they are fine.
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote