Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 21st July 2020, 07:27   #1161  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Usually I save single letter words "i", "a", etc to Names because they can't be found in Italian dictionary and stops the OCR processing.

Any idea to solve this issue?
Why don't you add them to the dictionary? Then they won't stop the process.
Old 21st July 2020, 08:40   #1162  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Why don't you add them to the dictionary? Then they won't stop the process.

You read the first two lines?
Old 25th July 2020, 19:14   #1163  |  Link
loninapleton

A simple question on Subtitle Edit. I appreciate the previous help give to me as a new user.

The current problem I have is I am in OCR Hell. I used a quick link
to explain why OCR opens on a demuxed (using Inviska from Toolnix) SUB/idix from a Handbrak DVD rip.

All I need (I think) is to convert the SUB/idx pair into SRT so
I can add some translations to the work. But I got lost in the OCR screen activities.

Are there a few simple steps to do this?
loninapleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2020, 22:18   #1164  |  Link
nekrovski

Too bad there's no Subtitle Edit for games

nekrovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2020, 07:39   #1165  |  Link
loninapleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by loninapleton View Post
A simple question on Subtitle Edit. I appreciate the previous help give to me as a new user.

The current problem I have is I am in OCR Hell. I used a quick link
to explain why OCR opens on a demuxed (using Inviska from Toolnix) SUB/idix from a Handbrak DVD rip.

All I need (I think) is to convert the SUB/idx pair into SRT so
I can add some translations to the work. But I got lost in the OCR screen activities.

Are there a few simple steps to do this?
Progress. I downloaded Tesseract 5 and started the OCR operation which will run for a while.

Press Ok, Return to Main Screen File > Save As >Subrip.

Success.

A fine program I will have to explore again.
Old 1st August 2020, 01:32   #1166  |  Link
loninapleton

An additional problem I'm working on.

Can Subtitle edit join a first and second part of an edited MKV?

The recode was made from DVD originally and then I added an act break--
like being at the theatre. I've had a request for subs for that piece.

I can redo from the DVD from scratch or begin a join of the parts one and two.

Subtitles extracted from my MKV are SUB Idx like the initial item I asked about.

Can either the OCR version or an SRT made with Subtitle Edit's features
combine into one SRT?
Old 6th August 2020, 18:18   #1167  |  Link
Lucius Snow

Hi guys,

I need your help urgently because I must deliver an EBU N19 (STL) file to a channel. Their software reported the following error: "MISSING STARTBOX!"

Do you know what am I missing in the EBU properties during the export?

Thank you very much.
Lucius Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 18:54   #1168  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius Snow View Post
Hi guys,

I need your help urgently because I must deliver an EBU N19 (STL) file to a channel. Their software reported the following error: "MISSING STARTBOX!"

Do you know what am I missing in the EBU properties during the export?

Thank you very much.
Could you try: Display standard code = 1 Level-1 teletext ?
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 19:00   #1169  |  Link
Lucius Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikse555 View Post
Could you try: Display standard code = 1 Level-1 teletext ?
That's the one I already use.
Old 6th August 2020, 19:04   #1170  |  Link
Nikse555

OK, in "Text and timing information" - do you have "Use box around text" checked?
Old 6th August 2020, 19:45   #1171  |  Link
Lucius Snow

Quote:
OK, in "Text and timing information" - do you have "Use box around text" checked?
Nope. By the way, I downloaded a softwared called EBUSTLViewer which reported the attached file with 5 errors. They appear with or without "Use box around text" checked.

I tried to re-export the EBU STL from another software and these 5 errors disappear. I don't know if they're linked to this "start box" issue reported by the TV channel.

Last edited by Lucius Snow; 7th August 2020 at 14:36.
Old 7th August 2020, 18:06   #1172  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Nope. By the way, I downloaded a softwared called EBUSTLViewer which reported the attached file with 5 errors. They appear with or without "Use box around text" checked.

I tried to re-export the EBU STL from another software and these 5 errors disappear. I don't know if they're linked to this "start box" issue reported by the TV channel.
Could you perhaps upload to some file share site?
Old 9th August 2020, 15:45   #1173  |  Link
Lucius Snow

Quote:
Could you perhaps upload to some file share site?
Actually, there are two different issues:

1/ The new export with "Use box around text" seems to work according to the channel TV (waiting for a confirmation though).

2/ The errors reported by EBUSTLViewer come from the timecodes converted from milliseconds to frames. For example, the software would read 00:01:02:25 for a 25 fps file which is incorrect. I had to adjust them a very little before to get rid of the errors.

EDIT: I confirm the error was due to "Use box around text" unchecked. The TV channel has now accepted the file.

Last edited by Lucius Snow; 11th August 2020 at 16:51.
Old 13th August 2020, 07:56   #1174  |  Link
loninapleton

Quote:
An additional problem I'm working on.

Can Subtitle edit join a first and second part of an edited MKV?

The recode was made from DVD originally and then I added an act break--
like being at the theatre. I've had a request for subs for that piece.

I can redo from the DVD from scratch or begin a join of the parts one and two.

Subtitles extracted from my MKV are SUB Idx like the initial item I asked about.

Can either the OCR version or an SRT made with Subtitle Edit's features
combine into one SRT?
I came back to this seeing that I left it hanging. There is actually a fix for this using MKV Toolnix where an MKV with two parts can be joined with the subtitles then demux the new single sub in MKVtoolnix _and_ the numbering scheme will be time- adjusted to end of file. I'll see if I can get back the exact link at videohelp.com who posted the solution.

time passes....

Here is the link I mentioned:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...t-Files-As-One

Post #16 has the specific technique and described in steps in a careful manner. The whole thread is
pretty useful.

Last edited by loninapleton; 13th August 2020 at 08:03. Reason: additional information added
Old 13th August 2020, 08:25   #1175  |  Link
loninapleton

A new question for me is: can a movie with hardcoded subs on the image be defeated with a player that will display a new subtitle
in the black border outside the image?

The movie is old and perhaps direct copied from VHS. There is no
subtitle file listed in MediaInfo. It is subtitled at the source. But there is an SRT for the film which could be used to make new languages with a translator if it can be displayed properly in VLC, Daum or MediapPlayer Home edition etc.
Old 13th August 2020, 09:27   #1176  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
The errors reported by EBUSTLViewer come from the timecodes converted from milliseconds to frames. For example, the software would read 00:01:02:25 for a 25 fps file which is incorrect.
That's a bug, thx
Beta updated: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
( code fix is here: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...c9957L703-L707 )

@loninapleton: SE has "Tools -> Append" and "Tools -> Join" - will only work with text based subtitles.
Old 13th August 2020, 09:32   #1177  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
can a movie with hardcoded subs on the image be defeated with a player that will display a new subtitle
in the black border outside the image?
Yes, you could can use the ASS format with a box - if the alignment is not the same for all subtitles it's probably better to use Aegisub - and a lot of time.
Old 14th August 2020, 00:44   #1178  |  Link
loninapleton

Erf. Thanks for answering. I'm not good enough with the simplest tasks much less trying to create a box. I thought Media Player or one of those had a subtitlles outside the frame option. I don't care if the hardsubs show. Saying 'defeated' was not accurate as in trying to scrub it, but to provide an option for translations in SRT or other.

Here is what I see: the hardsubs are visible. But VLC will show no subtitle options -- empty. So can I put an optional SRT down below and selectable as an external sub file? I was just looking around at opensubtitles etc and found an SRT for this video/old movie. It is however a classic-- just never updated. VLC may not be the right option-- it's just what I use and know how to add subs from it's player menu.
Old 16th August 2020, 09:51   #1179  |  Link
robena

I was using SubtitleEdit-3.5.13, and now upgraded to SubtitleEdit-3.5.16, so I'm not yet sure if my problems are solved or not.

I upgraded recently from a 6 year old 6 core on Windows 7 to a 3 times faster ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G + Intel Core i9-10900X overclocked at 4.7 GHz on all cores + Windows 10.

I hate Windows 10, it took then several years to make it usable, and that's only using Windows Blinds to skin it and using DPI Awareness Enabler to get something where most apps are not fuzzy on a high DPI monitor.

The problem is that with a 3 times faster system, Subtilte Edit is much much slower.

I use an auto-it macro to do repetitive tasks. With the old system, no problems, witht he new ones SE was so slow that the macro was falling out of sync with the various Windows, and that I had to redesign it to read their header content rather than do a reasonable Sleep amount of time to complete the task.

I also had to make a c++ program to elevate itself to REALTIME_PRIORITY_CLASS before calling SE, still in mode REALTIME_PRIORITY_CLASS to make SE responsive enough to work well with the macro.

That problem is (painfully) solved, but I have another one.

I have often whole series to OCR.

What I do is start for example 13 SE OCR Windows, launch OCR on each (useful to have 10 cores!), go watch something and come back 60 minutes later to make the manual corrections.

But SE does not like AT ALL having 13 Windows opened, even if they have all finished to OCR.

Typing on an Unknown Word window makes SE respond in easily 5 seconds, it's excruciatingly slow. When there is only one Window left, response time is less than 1 second.

Any idea why I get that on this new system, and how to speed up the time response?

Edit: I just tried with SubtitleEdit-3.5.16 to confirm that the problem is still there though. With 12 Windows opened, clicking on the an Unknown Word window makes SE respond in 8 seconds. Even though I am only using 25% cpu, and half of my 64GB memory. OCR seems to be much slower with Tesseract 5.0 than with 4.0.
The sup file is located on a 3500 MBs NVME SSD disk. I don't think you can have a PC much more faster than mine, save a new one wit a 4.0 PCI bus, which I'm sure would make no difference.

Thanks!

Edit: I double checked running a lot of OCR windows on an old Windows 7 PC. Clicking on an error brings you to the faulty line in less than half a second. SE has a BIG perormance problem on Windows 10.
It's not specific to my config. A few years ago, the first time I tested Windows 10, using a scrip to open 10 Windows almost simultaneous froze Windows, and I had to reboot. The same worked perfectly with Windows 7.

Last edited by robena; 16th August 2020 at 13:31.
robena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2020, 13:18   #1180  |  Link
junah

Im pretty sure its not a fault of Subtitle Edit.
junah is offline   Reply With Quote