Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old Today, 13:54   #7121  |  Link
sonnati

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
There are tons of devices where HEVC is the only supported 10-bit codec. I'd expect pretty much all streaming of 4K or HDR content to those devices to be in HEVC. I don't know of anyone doing HDR or >1080p in H.264.

It'd probably take something like Wireshark to figure out what is being used in other cases. In the adaptive streaming world, there can be dozens of encoded variants of a given title, in different frame sizes, bitrates, DRM, and codecs.

As a wild personal guess, I'd expect a lot more premium content is delivered in HEVC than in VP9+AV1. The On2 stuff has always been most focused on browser-based user generated content without DRM, and there aren't any AV1 HW DRM + decode products in the market, or even announced.

As for quality versus speed, At the same encoding speed, x265 beats x264 in the cases I've tested in the last couple of years. Sure, it doesn't take full advantage of what HEVC can do, but it's still better for most content (there are likely edge cases with a lot of grain). The fastest possible x264 will be faster than the fastest possible x265, of course. x265 and HEVC in general takes better advantage of AVX, multithreading, and 64-bit than x264, so the newer the processor, the better quality @ perf HEVC has.
I would be no surprised if Netflix delivered H.265 to connectedTV even when content is below 4K. This would increase the market share of H.265 considerably because vast majority of Netflix's traffic is on TV and a wide % of those TV has H.265 decoding capabilities. Add to this the 100s millions of iOS devices supporting H.265 (with possible use by Netflix) and the real share should be higher than what can be derived classically from the share seen by cloud encoders vendors or similar.

Last edited by sonnati; Today at 13:57.
sonnati is offline   Reply With Quote