Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 19th September 2017, 22:03   #2541  |  Link
stax76

Does the nvenc default --cuda-schedule sync make sense? I'm getting 100 fps more with --cuda-schedule auto, maybe I should change the staxrip default using auto instead of sync.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 10:25   #2542  |  Link
Yanak

Hello Stax,
Since 1.6.1.4 we have this change : "usability: preview starts with zoom for small resolutions "

What resolutions are resized exactly, does it work based on the display resolution & based on a percentage for the input resolution?

I would like to know if there is a way to disable this behavior, if there is maybe an option to not have the resizing and instead get the preview work like it used to work before, displaying the preview window at 100% scale unless too big for the screen display.

I liked the way it worked before, for let's say 640*480px footage the preview display was showing me what i will get in the end, zoomed at 100%.
For high resolutions the preview was downscaled and apparently keeping the zoom level i had set previously when the sizes were bigger than my desktop resolution.

Now i have to use the zoom+- each time for low resolutions videos and don't even know exactly when i am at 100% zoom to see final result as there is no indication of the zoom level in the preview, and the preview display for bigger resolutions ( 1080p input on 1080p screen ) seems smaller than what we used to get too.

If possible would be nice to not have the preview auto zoom for low resolution inputs, at least have an option to disable this behavior, and maybe keep the max zoom level in windowed mode like before, staying under the display resolution but getting a bigger preview than what seems to be now, have a full and clean view of my project while in preview windowed mode and maybe the zoom level applied on the preview displayed, maybe next to the frame position in the top window bar.

Thanks a lot Stax.
Yanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 15:11   #2543  |  Link
Merlin93
Media Enthusiast

Anamorphic encoding question

Hello. I have spent most of the night doing google searches and searches on this forum and have been unable to find my own answer, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I am trying to use Staxrip to convert cropped 1080p videos to anamorphic 720p and running into issues. No matter what I do, it seems like I am unable to find an automated way to adjust the settings to allow cropped 1080p videos to fit into a 1280 x 720 container. This is super easy to do in Handbrake, but I'd like to use Staxrip for this.

As an example, I have a video I'm trying to convert which is 1920 x 1080 but has 134-pixel bars on the top and bottom (1920 x 812). If I convert it with Handbrake, I can set the storage size to 1280 x 720 and it will keep the same aspect ratio and encode the video with an anamorphic display resolution of 1702 x 720 (at PAR 270/203). I am having trouble doing the same thing with Staxrip.

Perhaps it's because I cannot specify the storage resolution, but when I move the slider (with or without control held down for anamorphic mode) it seems to always select square (or nearly square) pixels. If I manually adjust the PAR to 270/203 for example, I cannot find a legal range on the slider and the aspect ratio is off in preview (and DAR). I have tried manually calculating the DAR and PAR values, but it never works how I expect (and I know it's generally bad form to try to set PAR from DAR.) Ideally, I shouldn't be calculating these things by hand anyway, that is what software does best.

TL;DR is that I am looking for a way to specify the output resolution to be 1280 x 720 pixels while maintaining the same display aspect ratio / DAR. Ideally, Staxrip would adjust the display height to 720 pixels and calculate the proper PAR to make the display width make sense. It feels like I'm missing a setting or approaching it wrong since I'd think this would be easy to do this given the power of Staxrip. Not to mention most 480i/480p DVD videos are anamorphic to exceed the 720x480 limit, and this is basically the same kind of thing so I have to believe the software supports it. I'm just not doing it right.

I'm using the 1.6 stable build, btw.

Thanks!

Last edited by Merlin93; 20th September 2017 at 15:22.
Merlin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 15:40   #2544  |  Link
stax76

Hi Yanak,

the calculation is based on the working area (screen size - task bar), it compares the working area width to the video width, if the video width is more then 90% of the working area width then it's down scaled to 90%, if it's less then 60% then it's up scaled. On my 4K display SD was tiny, I can probably add a setting for it.
Old 20th September 2017, 16:12   #2545  |  Link
stax76

@Merlin93

If I understand correctly then you want to disable: Options > Image > Aspect Ratio > Adjust height according to target display aspect ratio

Quote:
Perhaps it's because I cannot specify the storage resolution, but when I move the slider (with or without control held down for anamorphic mode) it seems to always select square (or nearly square) pixels.
You can enter the storage resolution in the text fields or customize the resize menu. I'm not sure I understand what's your goal, maybe you or somebody else can explain it again. I always thought that staxrip handles AR better then megui or handbrake, there were hardly any bugs or requests in the last ten years.

Last edited by stax76; 20th September 2017 at 16:41.
Old 20th September 2017, 23:53   #2546  |  Link
stax76

@Yanak

The next build has a setting and better calculation that also works for ultra wide displays. The default value is 60%, it ensures either width or height are minimum 60% of the screen width or height.
Old 21st September 2017, 00:18   #2547  |  Link
Merlin93
Media Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
@Merlin93

If I understand correctly then you want to disable: Options > Image > Aspect Ratio > Adjust height according to target display aspect ratio

You can enter the storage resolution in the text fields or customize the resize menu. I'm not sure I understand what's your goal, maybe you or somebody else can explain it again. I always thought that staxrip handles AR better then megui or handbrake, there were hardly any bugs or requests in the last ten years.
Hello Stax. Thanks for the quick reply!

I looked at that flag in the options and I don't think that is what I need. I'm sure Staxrip can do what I need, but I'm just not sure how to do so.

To use my earlier example, I have a cropped 1080p video which is 1920 x 812, and I would like to resize that to 1280 x 720 while keeping the same display aspect ratio, which would result in an anamorphic display size of 1702 x 720. Handbrake does this in a really intuitive way. I just specify the Storage Size as 1280 x 720, make sure Keep Aspect Ratio is flagged, and it automatically calculates the proper Display Size (of 1702 x 720) and PAR (270 x 203) to keep the same display aspect ratio. I am looking for a means to do the same thing using Staxrip.

Basically, I was hoping to be able to specify the output (storage) resolution separately from the display resolution using the GUI in a way that it automatically determines the proper PAR for me. Failing that, perhaps the next best option is to be able to see both the storage and display size, so as I adjust the PAR/DAR values I can see how that will affect the display size. Though that would still mean having to manually calculate DAR/PAR values which isn't very intuitive.

When I change the size slider in Staxrip, it seems to change the storage (output) size, so if we call this a feature request, perhaps there could be a way for me to lock the storage size and toggle the slider to affect display size and have it automatically adjust PAR values based on the source display aspect ratio?

Does that help at all?

P.S., I notice that if I set the resize to 1280 x 720 while leaving the DAR value as is, Staxrip will select the same PAR value that Handbrake calculates, but shows a -24% in the error field so I assumed it wouldn't work. Perhaps that is what is throwing me off... how do I get rid of that error?

Thanks!

Last edited by Merlin93; 21st September 2017 at 00:26.
Old 21st September 2017, 00:20   #2548  |  Link
Yanak

Hi, just seeing the answers now, got no mail notifications for new answers as it does usually for some reasons, weird.

I understand now how it worked and indeed on a 4k screen it might look extremely tiny especially with old videos material that is in small resolutions mostly, in many cases it's better to have the 100% scale to clearly see things after filters and such applied, or a wide preview window displayed inside the display screen less the task bar when it's bigger resolution videos, to get close as possible to the final output, will test this once the new version is released.

Thanks a lot for the changes Stax, big respect for all you do for us, as always you are very kind to do some changes based on users feedback, hat down for all this.
Old 21st September 2017, 01:17   #2549  |  Link
stax76

@Merlin93

Above the resize slider there are two text boxes, one is called width and one is called height, double click in this text boxes using the left mouse button to enter a value, all you have to do is enter 1280 in the width text box and 720 in the height text box, that is everything.

If this text boxes are disabled then you have to enable a resize filter, there are three ways to do this, first using the filter list, second using the slider and third using the menu.
Old 21st September 2017, 03:41   #2550  |  Link
Schattenspieler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin93 View Post
P.S., I notice that if I set the resize to 1280 x 720 while leaving the DAR value as is, Staxrip will select the same PAR value that Handbrake calculates, but shows a -24% in the error field so I assumed it wouldn't work. Perhaps that is what is throwing me off... how do I get rid of that error?
If I'm not mistaken, that is no "error" in the usual sense of the word, but an information. It's showing you, by how much the (overall) AR is off compared to the source AR (including DAR and PAR). (For me non-square pixels were and still are just a lousy workaround.)
So, yes, from what I read here, that seems to be, what's throwing you off. Just ignore it and give it a try. If in doubt, just cut a sample of some seconds and encode it. You'll see. (:

edit: If you right-click on the "Error" field for the help text, it'll tell you: "Aspect Ratio Error". And that's what it is.

Last edited by Schattenspieler; 21st September 2017 at 03:53.
Schattenspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 04:00   #2551  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
You can get rid of it by clicking next, I'll add a option to prevent this warning being shown.
Old 21st September 2017, 04:04   #2552  |  Link
Merlin93
Media Enthusiast

Quote:
@Merlin93

Above the resize slider there are two text boxes, one is called width and one is called height, double click in this text boxes using the left mouse button to enter a value, all you have to do is enter 1280 in the width text box and 720 in the height text box, that is everything.
I've been using the software for a couple months now and have converted a few dozen videos, so I am already pretty familiar with the UI and resize filter.

It appears to be working with that error message which was addressed in the post prior to this. I'm doing some test encodes now to verify but the preview looks correct and the DAR and PAR values are what I expect so we'll see shortly.

Thanks!
Old 21st September 2017, 04:05   #2553  |  Link
Merlin93
Media Enthusiast

Quote:
You can get rid of it by clicking next, I'll add a option to prevent this warning being shown.
Great! That is what was confusing me.

Thanks again!
Old 21st September 2017, 04:41   #2554  |  Link
Merlin93
Media Enthusiast

Btw, while I'm here, I do have one issue that I have I keep running into with v1.6 stable that may be a bug or some kind of misconfiguration on my side.

Occasionally (and it seems to be happening more and more often) when I select a template and then load a video source file, it will close the main UI per normal to open the mkvextract and ffmsindex window. Normally, after completing those processes to 100% the window should close and pop the main UI window back up again. However, it occasionally closes without popping up the UI window again.

When that happens, if I look at the process manager, the Staxrip process appears to still be running but headless. The log file only shows that the extraction/index process completed properly. At that point, I usually just kill the headless process and start again. But it is annoying since I basically have to start over.

This seems to happen most often when I already have a Staxrip process running another job.

If it helps, my video source files live on a remote NAS drive but the temp files are stored on the PC's local SSD.

Thanks!
Old 21st September 2017, 10:24   #2555  |  Link
stax76

@Merlin93

It's probably fixed since 1.6.0.9, I try to get a new stable build out soon.

https://github.com/stax76/staxrip/bl...d/changelog.md
Old 21st September 2017, 10:30   #2556  |  Link
Yanak

Hi Stax,

Tested the new build and setting a low value for the new setting does not resize anymore low resolution input videos so it's nice, however the display for remains smaller than before for larger resolution input, here a 1920*1080 input on a 1080p screen display, preview size before and now :

Previously the preview size, (the video display only, not counting the borders) was 1680*945 and there was still some room on the display screen as seen above, now the preview size is 1536*864.Not a big deal tho, I'll hit enter and switch to full screen mode if needed, just wanting to let you know.

Also tested a bit the new options in the thumbnail generator and noticed that something introduced in previous versions was removed in the last ones, the option to define the tittle ( that used to replace "StaxRip" text on the generated picture ) and the same for the Font Choice and size possible :

screenshot taken in version 1.6.1.5
Not sure exactly when those options where introduced exactly and when it was removed too, they were nice and were still present in 1.6.1.5 but not anymore on 1.6.1.8 version, nor do i know if it's intended or a simply a bug that pushed them out.

Thanks a lot for all again .

Last edited by Yanak; 23rd January 2018 at 00:01.
Old 21st September 2017, 12:05   #2557  |  Link
stax76

@Yanak

Preview will be larger in the next build, the old calculation was wrong on ultra wide monitors.

The thumbnail title was removed because it's good advertising... I can put it back, I'm thinking on a advanced settings section using a propertygrid, listview or config file, this way it's harder to find and slightly (almost neglectable) easier to code.

Font would be some work because the used dialog is code generated like most dialogs in staxrip and I would have to code a font picker for it first, coding such things are usually not a big deal but there is another issue like the font size code has some complexity as it has smart scaling implemented, now I can still remember how it works since I coded it just yesterday but when I code I hardly can resist doing code refactoring and that can always potentially break anything and I rather want to release a final soon and maybe take a break for a while again, there aren't any urgent tasks except better documentation, try encodingwissen.de and deepl.com!
Old 21st September 2017, 13:51   #2558  |  Link
Yanak

All good Stax,
Will try next build for the zoom, it's nice to have a maximized view on the project and filters applied, thanks again for this.

I understand perfectly, for the tittle it is a nice way to leave some bits of the program used and you deserve all recognition possible for what you do with this great tool, on the other hand it's nice to have lot of options like the fonts, it's a small thing but you granted us with so many customization options that I'm used to have a lot of liberties on this program, spoiled over time i guess , it's up to you man, whatever you decide and will end up with it's ok for me, no worries.

Did not knew deepl.com, will give more tries but seems to do a better job than some other online services like this on the little i tested, thanks for the link, went to favorites directly ^^

Thank you again.
Old 21st September 2017, 15:22   #2559  |  Link
mcjordan

Updates

mClean v1.8 /09.21.2017/ (remarkable script; my new favorite denoise weapon ;-)
* speed increase and reduced memory use for all but the lowest resolutions
* improved quality
* removed cpu option for FFT3DFilter, as any more than 4 threads proves no faster an for high thread counts, appears to run slower
mcjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 18:18   #2560  |  Link
Natty
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjordan View Post
mClean v1.8 /09.21.2017/ ([I]remarkable script; my new favorite
what settings do u use? i would like to sharpen the video aswell
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote