Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 2nd November 2015, 14:18   #701  |  Link
NikosD

No problem.

I covered my needs using two apps (a GUI of eac3to from tebasuna51 and Mkvmerge GUI) in batch processing mode and two steps process, that was a matter of a few minutes to set up.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 06:50   #702  |  Link
impei

Vp8

Any chance of including VP8 encoding? It's still pretty commonly used for web based video.
impei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 15:32   #703  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Hi! StaxRip uses fixed size instead of fixed bitrate by default, for fixed bitrate there is a option: Options > Misc > Use fixed bitrate
Summoning [@stax76], rigaya just added new NvencC functionality.
Those are "Adaptive Quantization" and "Two Pass VBR".
http://rigaya34589.blog135.fc2.com/blog-entry-702.html
Hoping stax76 can update staxrip gui ASAP........

<s>--vbr-2pass (Rigaya typed wrong, it is not --vbr2, but --vbr-2pass)</s> Well......his/her 1.13v2 Nvencc64 changed it back to --vbr2
--aq

Last edited by JohnLai; 8th November 2015 at 08:12.
JohnLai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 02:22   #704  |  Link
Magik Mark

Does anybody know what the "Level" is for in Nvidia x265 encoding? Encoder options -> Basic. What does it do? Why do we even have B frames option when actually this is not supported. Every time it encodes this is set to 0 anyway

I think the 2 pass vbr will even improve the quality of the encodes. I hope staxrip is updated soon. Can't wait to test it
Old 10th November 2015, 03:16   #705  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
Does anybody know what the "Level" is for in Nvidia x265 encoding? Encoder options -> Basic. What does it do? Why do we even have B frames option when actually this is not supported. Every time it encodes this is set to 0 anyway

I think the 2 pass vbr will even improve the quality of the encodes. I hope staxrip is updated soon. Can't wait to test it
Level?
-.- Well......In this case, level is set for warning you if there are some parameters that violated the level.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_E...ers_and_levels
Let say if you set reference frame to 14 on 1920x1080 video, but you want your video to be Level 4.1 compliant, the moment you set the level 4.1, the encoder will warn you the parameter reference number isn't level 4.1 compliant because the maximum reference frame for L4.1 is 6 (Most likely it will be 5 due to other parameter factors)

Cause in the future.....updated nvenc black box chip will support B frames. Might as well leaving the option there.....

Next....the VBR 2 pass isn't exactly the multipass encoding you normally find on x264,xvid and x265 sofware. Nvenc VBR 2 Pass is actually single frame two pass (the first pass analysis without lookahead on single frame)

Example;
x264 two pass = run first pass with lookahead from beginning until end of video, then starts actual bitrate allocation encoding based on data from first pass.

Nvenc VBR 2 Pass = run first pass on SINGLE frame without lookahead, then immediately starts bitrate allocation encoding. (Mostly aimed for reducing banding)

So, the most important addition is actually 'adaptive quantization'.

Last edited by JohnLai; 10th November 2015 at 03:21.
Old 10th November 2015, 04:22   #706  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLai View Post
Level?
-.- Well......In this case, level is set for warning you if there are some parameters that violated the level.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_E...ers_and_levels
Let say if you set reference frame to 14 on 1920x1080 video, but you want your video to be Level 4.1 compliant, the moment you set the level 4.1, the encoder will warn you the parameter reference number isn't level 4.1 compliant because the maximum reference frame for L4.1 is 6 (Most likely it will be 5 due to other parameter factors)

Cause in the future.....updated nvenc black box chip will support B frames. Might as well leaving the option there.....

Next....the VBR 2 pass isn't exactly the multipass encoding you normally find on x264,xvid and x265 sofware. Nvenc VBR 2 Pass is actually single frame two pass (the first pass analysis without lookahead on single frame)

Example;
x264 two pass = run first pass with lookahead from beginning until end of video, then starts actual bitrate allocation encoding based on data from first pass.

Nvenc VBR 2 Pass = run first pass on SINGLE frame without lookahead, then immediately starts bitrate allocation encoding. (Mostly aimed for reducing banding)

So, the most important addition is actually 'adaptive quantization'.
Thanks for the reply.

Can you elaborate nvenc black box. Is this a hardware or software?
What is adaptive quantization? Is this different from VBR CQP or CBR?
Can you also recommend a good level?
Can you also recommend which is better? VBR CQP or CBR. Emphasizing quality

Last edited by Magik Mark; 10th November 2015 at 04:25.
Magik Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 07:45   #707  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

1. Can you elaborate nvenc black box. Is this a hardware or software?
2. What is adaptive quantization? Is this different from VBR CQP or CBR?
3. Can you also recommend a good level?
4. Can you also recommend which is better? VBR CQP or CBR. Emphasizing quality
1 : It is both hardware (predominantly hardware) and software if you take a look on Nvenc SDK code provided at nvidia website. https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk

2 : Adaptive Quantization, if we follow x264 definition.......it should follow something like this https://forums.animesuki.com/showthr...17#post1500517
But, the name "adaptive" quantization means it isn't suppose to work in CQP mode ("constant" quantization point), but who knows how nvidia designs and programs its nvenc. I am not even sure if AQ works in CQP for nvenc. In theory, Adaptive Quantization option supposely works for VBR, VBR 2 Pass and CBR only.

From NVENC 4.0 SDK, Adaptive quantization = This is a SW feature that defines which quantization parameters to be used and changed within a row. The regular NVENC rate control is row-based. This feature helps in situations where there is a change in textures within a row.

Meanwhile, NVENC 4.0 and 5.0 SDK manual states "2-pass rate control modes help the encoder to gather statistics of the frame to be encoded before actually encoding it in the second pass, thereby resulting in optimal bit-utilization within the frame and consequently, higher encoding quality."

3 : If we take a look on industry standard, the level used by Blu-ray and maximum supported level by media player, tv decoder & etc is Level 4.1, might as well as follow it.

4 : Quality? Stick with CQP. Nvenc has issue encoding black and dark background no matter what parameters and hardware. Nothing can be done.

EDIT: I will teach you how to use DXVA decode acceleration in conjunction with NVenc encode later. (Hardware decode and hardware encode, if you have need for speed)

Last edited by JohnLai; 10th November 2015 at 08:51.
Old 10th November 2015, 11:03   #708  |  Link
Magik Mark

Yes, Pls Teach me the best way to encode using Nvidia. Thanks a lot!
Old 10th November 2015, 13:44   #709  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Yes, Pls Teach me the best way to encode using Nvidia. Thanks a lot!
Asus X99 Sabertooth - i7 5820 - Asus Strix GTX 960 4G - DDR4 16GB Predator - Pioneer KRP 600M (isf calibrated) - Windows 10 x64 - Kodi with DSplayer - Lav - MadVR - XYsubtitle

Transcode means the media must be decoded before it can be encoded to smaller size video or other video format.

I assume these are your system information.
Now, let start with the bad news;
1 : Core I7-5820 has no IGPU, thus depriving you from using IGPU for hardware decoding and pre/post processing purposes (Intel QuickSync / QSV is the fastest hardware decoder/encoder available for codec it can support, faster than AMD and Nvidia)

Hmm, better elaborate the marketing name;

Intel decoder = QuickSync Decoder (QSV Decoder to avoid confusion)
AMD decoder = Unified Video Decoder (UVD)
Nvidia decoder = PureVideo

Intel encoder = QuickSync Encoder (QSV Encoder)
AMD encoder = Video Coding Engine (VCE)
Nvidia encoder = Nvidia Encoder (NVENC)

2: If you often resize video, let say from 1080p to 720p or 480p, you are forced to use CPU based resizer.

Your system;
Decode(GTX 960)---->(post processing) CPU based resizer (I7-5820K)---->Encode(GTX 960).

If you have Intel QSV though ;
Decode (QSV Decode) --> (Pre processing) Intel VPP resize, yes, this is part of QSV hardware based resizer --> Encode (GTX 960)

CPU based resizing = slowing down the transcode a lot....
Too bad you don't have IGPU.
I was planning to teach you how to use Intel QSV to speed up decoding and resizing. Well, not much you can do now......we shall stick with PureVideo decode and NVENC encode.

3: Let begin ;

First picture = http://imgur.com/u3NZyyo
Second picture = http://imgur.com/12ijxKI

Generally, in your case;

"%app:ffmpeg%" -hwaccel dxva2 -i "%script_file%" -f yuv4mpegpipe -pix_fmt yuv420p -loglevel error - | "%app:NVEncC%" --sar %target_sar% --codec h265 --y4m --cqp 20:23:25 --cu-min 8 --cu-max 32 --aq --ref 5 --level 4.1 --bframes 0 --input - --output "%encoder_out_file%"

Free free to use different rate control method, such as --cqp 20:23:25 to --VBR2 4500 (Note, nvenc VBR 2 pass encode is really slow, gtx 970 = 150fps for encoding HEVC 1080P)
--aq stands for adaptive quantization
--cu-min and --cu-max is self explanatory.
--ref (you know it)
--bframe (no bframe support for nvenc hevc/h265, maximum 3 for h264)

Note:
We are lucky because stax76's ffmpeg has dxva2 support compiled........generally, the other ffmpeg you find around the internet doesn't enable -hwaccel functionality at all.
In case if you wanna try the adaptive quantization and vbr2pass, you need to download and extract NVEnc 1.13v2 from http://rigaya34589.blog135.fc2.com/blog-entry-702.html to replace NVEncC and NVEncC64 at Staxrip\Apps\NVEncC folder.

Last edited by JohnLai; 10th November 2015 at 13:57.
Old 11th November 2015, 00:56   #710  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Asus X99 Sabertooth - i7 5820 - Asus Strix GTX 960 4G - DDR4 16GB Predator - Pioneer KRP 600M (isf calibrated) - Windows 10 x64 - Kodi with DSplayer - Lav - MadVR - XYsubtitle

Transcode means the media must be decoded before it can be encoded to smaller size video or other video format.

I assume these are your system information.
Now, let start with the bad news;
1 : Core I7-5820 has no IGPU, thus depriving you from using IGPU for hardware decoding and pre/post processing purposes (Intel QuickSync / QSV is the fastest hardware decoder/encoder available for codec it can support, faster than AMD and Nvidia)

Hmm, better elaborate the marketing name;

Intel decoder = QuickSync Decoder (QSV Decoder to avoid confusion)
AMD decoder = Unified Video Decoder (UVD)
Nvidia decoder = PureVideo

Intel encoder = QuickSync Encoder (QSV Encoder)
AMD encoder = Video Coding Engine (VCE)
Nvidia encoder = Nvidia Encoder (NVENC)

2: If you often resize video, let say from 1080p to 720p or 480p, you are forced to use CPU based resizer.

Your system;
Decode(GTX 960)---->(post processing) CPU based resizer (I7-5820K)---->Encode(GTX 960).

If you have Intel QSV though ;
Decode (QSV Decode) --> (Pre processing) Intel VPP resize, yes, this is part of QSV hardware based resizer --> Encode (GTX 960)

CPU based resizing = slowing down the transcode a lot....
Too bad you don't have IGPU.
I was planning to teach you how to use Intel QSV to speed up decoding and resizing. Well, not much you can do now......we shall stick with PureVideo decode and NVENC encode.

3: Let begin ;

First picture = http://imgur.com/u3NZyyo
Second picture = http://imgur.com/12ijxKI

Generally, in your case;

"%app:ffmpeg%" -hwaccel dxva2 -i "%script_file%" -f yuv4mpegpipe -pix_fmt yuv420p -loglevel error - | "%app:NVEncC%" --sar %target_sar% --codec h265 --y4m --cqp 20:23:25 --cu-min 8 --cu-max 32 --aq --ref 5 --level 4.1 --bframes 0 --input - --output "%encoder_out_file%"

Free free to use different rate control method, such as --cqp 20:23:25 to --VBR2 4500 (Note, nvenc VBR 2 pass encode is really slow, gtx 970 = 150fps for encoding HEVC 1080P)
--aq stands for adaptive quantization
--cu-min and --cu-max is self explanatory.
--ref (you know it)
--bframe (no bframe support for nvenc hevc/h265, maximum 3 for h264)

Note:
We are lucky because stax76's ffmpeg has dxva2 support compiled........generally, the other ffmpeg you find around the internet doesn't enable -hwaccel functionality at all.
In case if you wanna try the adaptive quantization and vbr2pass, you need to download and extract NVEnc 1.13v2 from http://rigaya34589.blog135.fc2.com/blog-entry-702.html to replace NVEncC and NVEncC64 at Staxrip\Apps\NVEncC folder.
Thanks. This is very informative. What I do most of the time is try to tranascode x264 to x265 in order to decrease the file size. I would like to have a quality similar or better from the original but smallest possible file size using nvidia. CPU transcoding is taking so much time and it it taking a toll on my CPU. That's why I want to maximize the potential of GPU transcoding. I work with 1080p & 720p videos predominantly

You are very helpful. Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Magik Mark; 11th November 2015 at 01:16.
Magik Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 01:40   #711  |  Link
Magik Mark

CQP has good quality. But the file size is not significantly reduced.

VBR2 4500 is unsuccessfull. I get this error:

Error Encoding video command line encoder: Command Line | NVIDIA H.265

Encoding video command line encoder: Command Line | NVIDIA H.265 failed with error code 1

C:\Users\Magik Mark\Desktop\StaxRip>"C:\Users\Magik Mark\Desktop\StaxRip\Apps\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe" -hwaccel dxva2 -i "C:\Users\Magik Mark\Desktop\Bones S11E01 temp files\Bones S11E01.avs" -f yuv4mpegpipe -pix_fmt yuv420p -loglevel error - | "C:\Users\Magik Mark\Desktop\StaxRip\Apps\NVEncC\NVEncC64.exe" --sar 1:1 --codec h265 --y4m --VBR2 4500 --cu-min 8 --cu-max 32 --aq --ref 5 --level 4.1 --bframes 0 --input - --output "C:\Users\Magik Mark\Desktop\Bones S11E01 temp files\Bones S11E01_out.h265"
Unknown Option : 4500av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid argument

StaxRip.ErrorAbortException: Encoding video command line encoder: Command Line | NVIDIA H.265 failed with error code 1

C:\Users\Magik Mark\Desktop\StaxRip>"C:\Users\Magik Mark\Desktop\StaxRip\Apps\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe" -hwaccel dxva2 -i "C:\Users\Magik Mark\Desktop\Bones S11E01 temp files\Bones S11E01.avs" -f yuv4mpegpipe -pix_fmt yuv420p -loglevel error - | "C:\Users\Magik Mark\Desktop\StaxRip\Apps\NVEncC\NVEncC64.exe" --sar 1:1 --codec h265 --y4m --VBR2 4500 --cu-min 8 --cu-max 32 --aq --ref 5 --level 4.1 --bframes 0 --input - --output "C:\Users\Magik Mark\Desktop\Bones S11E01 temp files\Bones S11E01_out.h265"

at StaxRip.Proc.Start() in D:\Projekte\GitHub\staxrip\General\Proc.vb:line 233
at StaxRip.BatchEncoder.Encode() in D:\Projekte\GitHub\staxrip\General\VideoEncoder.vb:line 430
Old 11th November 2015, 03:36   #712  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
CQP has good quality. But the file size is not significantly reduced.

VBR2 4500 is unsuccessfull. I get this error:

Error Encoding video command line encoder: Command Line | NVIDIA H.265

Encoding video command line encoder: Command Line | NVIDIA H.265 failed with error code 1

Strange. Let begin the troubleshooting;

1 : Did you update to latest NVEnc_1.13v2? You are supposed to replace the NVEncC64.exe inside Staxrip\Apps\NVEncC folder.

2 : Make sure your nvidia driver is up to date.

3 : https://github.com/stax76/staxrip/releases Are you using StaxRip_x64_1.3.1.7_beta? Cause I think older ffmpeg included by stax76 doesn't have dxva2 acceleration. Note: Not all video format can be hardware decoded, in this case, it will automatically fall back to software decoding.

4 : Some recommendation on video bitrate in case you plan to use nvenc VBR2Pass + AQ for 23 - 30fps video.

1080p = 4500
720p = 2500
480p = 1000
360p = 750
240p = 400

Last edited by JohnLai; 11th November 2015 at 03:53.
Old 11th November 2015, 11:26   #713  |  Link
Magik Mark

Found this in rigaya's blog:

"2015.11.08 6:27 NVEncC x64 executable file is not up-to-date version, - Fixed vbr2 of did not work. x86 Edition is no problem. "

Rough translation of google. The way i understand it, x64 version is not working well
Old 11th November 2015, 12:37   #714  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Found this in rigaya's blog:

"2015.11.08 6:27 NVEncC x64 executable file is not up-to-date version, - Fixed vbr2 of did not work. x86 Edition is no problem. "

Rough translation of google. The way i understand it, x64 version is not working well

Duh.....he said he fixed it, that why he released V2.
-.- You better update staxrip nvencc.

Last edited by JohnLai; 11th November 2015 at 12:44.
Old 11th November 2015, 13:13   #715  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Duh.....he said he fixed it, that why he released V2.
-.- You better update staxrip nvencc.
How do I do this?
Old 11th November 2015, 13:27   #716  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
How do I do this?
Are you serious?
http://i.imgur.com/WF5Okqa.png
Old 12th November 2015, 00:43   #717  |  Link
Magik Mark

Thank you very much JohnLai for your patience and understanding. I'm really new to this. Continue on giving us advise. Thanks A Lot!
Old 12th November 2015, 19:07   #718  |  Link
Yups

http://www.station-drivers.com/index...d=1901&lang=en

Media SDK 1.17 has been released with this driver. No documentation or changelog available yet. Intel says soon, whatever it means.
Yups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 06:00   #719  |  Link
NikosD

@Stax76

Hello.

Is it possible to add Unicode support to StaxRip ?

I mean in filenames and path.

I have no idea how difficult/painful is this.
Old 16th November 2015, 09:03   #720  |  Link
NikosD

Hi.

Just a few more questions...

1) Is it possible to somehow configure the "File Batch" mode ?
For example, I have some files with embedded subtitles which in "File Batch" mode, the subtitles disappeared after transcoding. (No subs included)

I think, that "File Batch" mode follows your current project user preferences regarding video (video encoder profile, selected container) and audio (audio encoder profile)

But what about subs ?
Shouldn't be included by default ?
How can I select what to include in "File Batch" mode ?

2) What is the use and gain of using "Demux and Index before creating jobs" option in "File Batch" mode ?

3) Is it possible to avoid "indexing" when in video encoders profiles "Just Mux" is selected for both single file processing and "file batch" processing ?

I don't know if indexing is used for anything else besides video processing.