Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 10th July 2019, 16:40   #23521  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
Can you upload .ts sample with seeking porblem ?
I need to make one, as none of my files can be made public.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 00:59   #23522  |  Link
manolito

I cut out a 100MB sample of a standard DVB-T2 broadcast from German public television, get it here:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/51jlvy
//EDIT//
SendSpace has become painfully slow, here is an alternative link:
https://www.zeta-uploader.com/2126706227

It shows corrupted frames with every seek operation using DirectShow based players (which all employ LAV Filters). It plays and seeks nicely using VLC.

Using the preview in an older 32-bit StaxRip it behaves like this with different 32-bit source filters:

1. DSS2Mod with current stable LAVVideosource:
Corrupt frames

2. FFVideoSource version 2.23.1 (latest stable version by Myrsloik):
Major disaster. Preview is totally unusable. Stepping through frames not possible.

3. LWLibavVideoSource (from lsmash-r929-170224-32)
Works without problems. Seeking does not display any corrupt frames.

Frankly I have no idea what I should make out of this. If LSMASH can do it, why can't LAVVideo and FFMS2 ?

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 13th July 2019 at 00:37.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 01:18   #23523  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

As mentioned a few weeks ago as this topic came up, this has nothing to do with the file being TS (although it doesn't help), but because of the codec being HEVC. Noone yet implemented a function to properly suppress corrupt frames after seeking, which are basically always going to be present, in the ffmpeg HEVC decoder like it was done for H.264. The problem is of course that as codecs get more complex, this logic also does.

This is not something I do in LAV itself, so it needs to happen in FFmpeg. Feel free to contribute if this is a topic of importance for you.

As a general rule, TS as a container just does not offer any proper seeking functionality. It barely has usable timestamps, and thats it. No keyframe flags, no index, no nothing. As such, if you want "artifact free" seeking in TS, this has to rely on deep knowledge of the codec inside the TS container. And as mentioned above, noone has really bothered with HEVC for that, because its not a very popular codec in the open-source world due to the patent nonsense.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 11th July 2019 at 08:59.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2019, 08:18   #23524  |  Link
ryrynz

Any chance of an update to latest GIT of dav1d? Thanks.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2019, 10:42   #23525  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I currently plan to update it to 0.4.0 once thats available, which should be not that much longer.
Old 12th July 2019, 11:42   #23526  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
As mentioned a few weeks ago as this topic came up, this has nothing to do with the file being TS (although it doesn't help), but because of the codec being HEVC. Noone yet implemented a function to properly suppress corrupt frames after seeking, which are basically always going to be present, in the ffmpeg HEVC decoder like it was done for H.264. The problem is of course that as codecs get more complex, this logic also does.

This is not something I do in LAV itself, so it needs to happen in FFmpeg. Feel free to contribute if this is a topic of importance for you.

As a general rule, TS as a container just does not offer any proper seeking functionality. It barely has usable timestamps, and thats it. No keyframe flags, no index, no nothing. As such, if you want "artifact free" seeking in TS, this has to rely on deep knowledge of the codec inside the TS container. And as mentioned above, noone has really bothered with HEVC for that, because its not a very popular codec in the open-source world due to the patent nonsense.
Seeking problems (long/frozen seek) happens for H264 as well. Files are coming from Manzanita muxer (which is by many treated as reference).
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2019, 11:59   #23527  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

TS, as a format, is not designed for seeking. Its designed for broadcast and streaming. If you want local file playback with perfect seeking, use a format that is designed for these tasks. I have said that repeatedly over the years. I will not spend excessive amount of time trying to improve TS seeking, because its fundamentally not a concept helped by the container. There are perfect formats/tools for each job, use the right ones.

Seeking in a format like MPEG-TS is always just guess work. You "randomly" (with some educated guesses) look around in the file for a timestamp that matches the one you are interested in, because there is no index or any other clues where your target time is. This is a balance between the amount of file IO you perform to find it, obviously I could just read from the start and stop when I find it, but that would be slow, and the accuracy. Sometimes it finds one a bit too early, or a bit too late, which then takes the playback chain a bit to "catch up", or it just missed the previous key frame (and due to container inadequacy, it also has no clue where those are), hence "slow seeking".

There is a reason Blu-ray, for example, which uses MPEG-TS carries an external seeking index in a seperate file, so it can actually do seeking using that information.

LAV uses the FFmpeg MPEG-TS demuxer, so you know where to send improvements.

One final note, for example the cited "LWLibavVideoSource" in an earlier post which does "perfect seeking" - you know how it does that? It reads the entire TS file and builds a complete seeking index. A video processing tool can certainly afford to be a bit slow to do this, but something focused on playback like LAV is not in a position to be that slow on file opening or first seek.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 12th July 2019 at 12:14.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2019, 14:24   #23528  |  Link
el Filou

Personally never encountered any seeking issue in my H.264 TS files (muxed by MediaPortal's TSWriter, but even when opening a raw multi-program TS direct from the cable provider it's fine) when I open them in MPC-HC with LAV.
I don't consider glitches when seeking in broadcast stream an issue. You're seeking, the very operation you're doing is breaking normal playback. It's much less disturbing than audio crackles and pops.
Old 12th July 2019, 14:45   #23529  |  Link
manolito

My main requirement for TS streams is to reencode them (editing out commercials and get rid of station logos). Finding the correct cut points in the preview does require a lot of seeking, and always getting corrupt frames is very annoying.

So LAV Filters is simply the wrong source filter in this case, I should use a filter like LWLibavVideoSource which indexes the whole stream first. OK, I got that. But then how is it that FFVideoSource which also indexes the stream gives such catastrophic results in StaxRip when trying to seek? Is it its default seek mode (I did use the defaults)? Or is this a bug in v. 2.23.1 which has been fixed in later versions?
Old 12th July 2019, 15:41   #23530  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
But then how is it that FFVideoSource which also indexes the stream gives such catastrophic results in StaxRip when trying to seek? Is it its default seek mode (I did use the defaults)? Or is this a bug in v. 2.23.1 which has been fixed in later versions?
That I can't answer. It might just be broken, if it does indexing.

If I could realistically index a file from start to finish, seeking would be perfect every time, but alas I cannot, since people want their files to open instantly, and not in 10-20 seconds.
Old 12th July 2019, 16:32   #23531  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
My main requirement for TS streams is to reencode them (editing out commercials and get rid of station logos). Finding the correct cut points in the preview does require a lot of seeking, and always getting corrupt frames is very annoying.
Sorry for the off-topic but have you tried TS-Doctor? It has configurable settings for automatically choosing the previous/next I-Frame for cutting, or you can also seek to I-Frames in a preview window. It's not freeware but I find the price well worth it.
Old 12th July 2019, 17:02   #23532  |  Link
manolito

TSDoctor is one of my standard tools for dealing with TS files. But cutting at I-Frame borders will not do it for editing out commercials (especially not with HEVC streams where the key frames can be spead apart very widely).

Since I reencode anyways I do the cutting in AVISynth, and this is frame accurate, no matter what the source format is.
Old 12th July 2019, 22:06   #23533  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
That I can't answer. It might just be broken, if it does indexing.
Yes, you are right, v. 2.23.1 is broken...

After replacing it with this version
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...03#post1876703

(I believe it is v. 2.31.0) seeking works perfectly using the default seek mode 1.
Old 12th July 2019, 22:31   #23534  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
If I could realistically index a file from start to finish, seeking would be perfect every time, but alas I cannot, since people want their files to open instantly, and not in 10-20 seconds.
A cool feature would be an option to index or use a separate index file, for those who want better seeking in ts or other bad files. I do encounter broken files which are unable to seek more often than I would like (incomplete mp4 is my most common, due to canceling encodes). The way FFMS2 works has always struck me as very convenient and functional. A way to tell LAV that I wouldn't mind indexing the file, or even automatic loading of a previously created index file I have to generate manually would be nice. At least it doesn't seem crazy.

I do have to admit that only a small percentage of the user base would benefit, so it may not be worth the effort, but it would still be cool for me.
Old 13th July 2019, 07:03   #23535  |  Link
huhn

even very advanced user get confused by the decoder names and what that means just imagine what will happen with that setting when user start wondering why it sometimes takes so long to start playback.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2019, 21:18   #23536  |  Link
Asmodian

Yeah, it would probably generate a lot of extra questions.

This is a reason simply detecting an index you have to create manually would be good.. but probably not too important anyway. I can always use Vapoursynth.
Old 22nd July 2019, 16:54   #23537  |  Link
clsid

Good time for a FFmpeg update, now that 4.2 has been branched?
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 18:02   #23538  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

The player should start decoding and seeking without an index and kick off indexing in the background. When the index is ready, the player begins using it.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2019, 00:12   #23539  |  Link
el Filou

Wouldn't that bring a lot of I/O trashing on anything other than an SSD?
If such a feature is ever added, it should be as an option and disabled by default.
Old 23rd July 2019, 01:15   #23540  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Indeed, that would not be very well received by the majority of users. I don't currently have any such plans. LAV is designed primarily as a tool for playback, in which cases perfect seeking accuracy for example is not a strict requirement, as long as it comes close. I realize since its practically the only option for many codecs in DirectShow, some users like to use it for other tasks as well, and while I don't want to discourage that, I also don't plan to work on complex features for such tasks.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter