Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th March 2014, 18:59   #1  |  Link
lyinawake

Using FFMPEG to encode to Blu-ray format

Hello,

I have been tearing my hair out trying to find the optimal way to encode an already x264 compressed 720p29.97 video file into a Bluray compatible format using ffmpeg. There are lots of resources for using the stand-alone x264.exe, but I want to retain the audio track in my file, so I believe ffmpeg would be the best way to go (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Ideally I would like to use ffmpeg so that I can also use the libfdk_aac audio encoder. Here is the command that I have built from various resources including the sticky at the top of this forum:

ffmpeg -i [filein] -c:v libx264 -level:v 4.1 -preset veryslow -tune film -crf 16 -r 59.94 -x264opts bluray-compat=1:weightp=0:bframes=3:ref=3:nal-hrd=vbr:vbv-maxrate=40000:vbv-bufsize=30000:keyint=60:b-pyramid=strict:slices=4:tff=1:aud=1:colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709:sar=1/1 -c:a copy [fileout]

I am comparing the output of this command with that of multiAVCHD's built-in transcoding and have found the quality of the multiAVHCD built-in transcoding noticably better. However, I would like to do this through the command line instead of GUI so I can automate.

Could anyone please review my ffmpeg command and indicate why I am not able to get the same quality as I can with the multiAVHCD transcode process? I know that multiAVHCD uses AVISynth scripts, but shouldn't I be able to achieve the same thing with the ffmpeg cli?

I also need to use ffmpeg to create a letterboxed DVD-format of the same file. I honestly haven't spent a lot of time on figuring out how to crop/resize appropriately and whether anything besides the "target ntsc-dvd" flag is required for compatibility, but if someone has the command line handy for it I'd really appreciate that.

Thank you!
lyinawake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blu-ray, ffmpeg