Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st December 2018, 04:23   #1  |  Link
Cyber Akuma

Trying to cut the first few seconds of a MP4 video on a non-keyframe

So, this has been driving me nuts. I have a video that I went to cut out the first 30-40 or so seconds without re-encoding the entire thing. Issue is, the part I want to cut on is not on a keyframe, so most software I used either cuts on the keyframe before the part I want (such as Avidemux) leaving in a few moments of garbage video, or gives me a video that is just bank for the first few moments (ffmpeg) until the next keyframe.

I couldn't figure out a way to make anything read the previous seconds of the video and generate a new keyframe at the beginning of the cut, so I figured my next best bet would be to actually split the video on that keyframe, then trim the part I want from the beginning by re-encoding just the half or so segment I want, and then joining that with the rest of the video.

Issue is, I have no idea how to attempt to duplicate the settings of the second half of the video so I can join it. All attempted have just resulted in it rejecting the second half of the video to join (mp4box) or spitting out a video that after that first half second or so is just corrupted and does not play the rest (avidemux).

Does anybody have any suggestions on this? I am assuming the re-encoding route is my only option, but how would I duplicate the settings of the original video so I can re-join it?