Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 13th November 2013, 19:34   #18281  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Hmm... I just remembered something though. When I use an original BD disc's video for a menu backdrop, I keep it intact. That could be an issue for a BD-5/9 because of the bitrate... I'd better look at that.
Good point indeed!
I just checked the bitrate of the menu video with DGIndexNV: it indicates a Bitrate(max) of 30.873Mbps, and an average of 18.144 Mbps. This looks indeed too high for BD5/9. Means probably that the menu video has to be compressed.

Actually the freezing in my case depends from where during the menu playback I switch to the movie. Wouldn't this be an indication of a bitrate or buffer problem?

Last edited by Sharc; 13th November 2013 at 19:45.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 19:41   #18282  |  Link
g00g

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00g View Post
As my backup order is always the same (first Movie Only backup von DVD-RB and afterwards Import to BD-RB) I checked all previous done Imports to BD-RB and all backups are OK but the latest ones (starts with BD-RB Version 0.44.17).
Tested BD-RB Version 0.45.03 with several DVDs. Actually any video- and audio-stream of the tested DVDs has been in sync but one. The only difference I could figure out is, that the one not working has primary and secondary subtitles and a primary subtitle is activated at start.
g00g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 20:49   #18283  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
@ALL
Is anyone having any problems playing back Quick-Play menus on a standalone (real) Blu-ray player?
All of my tests, so far, have shown the Quick-Play menu on my LG BD590 fine. I've not done enough to possibly get more than 1 page, but that's coming.
Old 13th November 2013, 21:03   #18284  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Using BD-RB v.0.44.16.

Trying to make a BD9 (including only English streams) of Disc 1 of "Man of Steel". Smallest size I'm able to create is 10.8Gb.

Are there any hidden or other default settings that need to be selected or deselected to allow for further compression?
Is it possible the audio is the limiting factor? There really shouldn't be any other limitation.

Why v0.44.16 rather than a current version?
Old 13th November 2013, 21:05   #18285  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
All of my tests, so far, have shown the Quick-Play menu on my LG BD590 fine. I've not done enough to possibly get more than 1 page, but that's coming.
It never does more than 1 page. It will do up to 64 items (all on one page). If it gets higher than than that, it skips the menu. I figured that even if the items only average 15 minutes long, 64 items would still represent 16 hours of video.

At some point in the future I plan to add multi-page capability along with the use of selectable graphic button images rather than text.

Last edited by jdobbs; 13th November 2013 at 21:08.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 21:17   #18286  |  Link
AmigaFuture

@ JDobbs

Thank you for that info. I won't have BD-RB import enough to cause that then. Also, nice to know about future plans.

Merely curious, I know you're really focused on the Quick-Play displaying/functioning well.. So I don't expect any real focus, these days, on my MOV Import posts. Just want to know if you saw them..? Thank you.
Old 13th November 2013, 21:22   #18287  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Using BD-RB v.0.44.16.

Trying to make a BD9 (including only English streams) of Disc 1 of "Man of Steel". Smallest size I'm able to create is 10.8Gb.

Are there any hidden or other default settings that need to be selected or deselected to allow for further compression?
I did MAN OF STEEL on BD9 without problems as Movie Only with 2 x AC3/640 + 2 x SUP. I resized to 1440x1080, High Quality (Default), One Pass CRF, and the resulting crf became 21.9.
Old 13th November 2013, 21:46   #18288  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
@ JDobbs

Thank you for that info. I won't have BD-RB import enough to cause that then. Also, nice to know about future plans.

Merely curious, I know you're really focused on the Quick-Play displaying/functioning well.. So I don't expect any real focus, these days, on my MOV Import posts. Just want to know if you saw them..? Thank you.
Yes, I saw it. What is the source of those MOV files? I've done quite a few videos that I recorded on my iPhone in testing and I didn't see anything odd about the result. The audio is PCM from the source -- but that should convert fine to AC3. If it is 44.1K sampled it needs to be converted to 48K samples -- but that's no big deal.

As for the Quicktime player -- ugghh, I couldn't imagine a poorer performing player for the PC. I don't think I've ever used it without stutter or problems of some type.

Maybe you could forward a short example that has issues?

Last edited by jdobbs; 13th November 2013 at 21:56.
Old 13th November 2013, 22:23   #18289  |  Link
Kerry56

More testing done. Thinking there might be some incompatibilities between PowerDVD 12 and Windows 8.1, I downloaded the trial version of PowerDVD 13. The Bourne blu ray movie works in this player as it should, with the first play being the menu. All the titles seem to work, as well as the chapters.

I made a second test movie, this time making a 50gb blu ray and using the movies Blade Runner and Moon as input. The originals are blu ray source. This second movie plays in both Arcsoft TMT 5 and PowerDVD 13, but the menu doesn't show up. It simply starts with the first title in both those players. It is possible to select the other title from within TMT 5, and it is possible to access the menu in PowerDVD 13 once it starts playing the first title.

So playback in the major software players is a bit hit or miss.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 23:12   #18290  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
I have those on BD but now DVD. I don't want to have to buy all of them, but I'll pick up one or two of them and give it a try later today. If I'm luck I might find the older ones on the discount rack.

Did you try it more than once?

What happens when you try to play it? Nothing? Blank screen? Backdrop w/no titles? Titles w/no action?

@ALL
Is anyone having any problems playing back Quick-Play menus on a standalone (real) Blu-ray player?
I have 3 out 4 on DVD as well. If you want I can run a test encode for you. Just tell me what settings,or a copy of an ini, to use
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 23:16   #18291  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Yes, I saw it. What is the source of those MOV files? I've done quite a few videos that I recorded on my iPhone in testing and I didn't see anything odd about the result. The audio is PCM from the source -- but that should convert fine to AC3. If it is 44.1K sampled it needs to be converted to 48K samples -- but that's no big deal.

As for the Quicktime player -- ugghh, I couldn't imagine a poorer performing player for the PC. I don't think I've ever used it without stutter or problems of some type.

Maybe you could forward a short example that has issues?
Source's are iPad 2; Windows Media Player Classic shows this:
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 29.97fps 10418kbps [Video]
Audio: AAC 44100Hz mono 63kbps [Audio]

For one of the files. The video and audio play well with my LG Player when burned to a BD-RE DL as a data disk or USB flash drive. AFTER each file file has been converted to MKV from MOV with BD-RB's Alternate Output with AC-3.

When Importing the MKV's the audio plays as should with my LG player. When Imported (before converting to MKV) from MOV and burned, there's an interesting audio "stutter" effect. I'll get some video ready for you and email...

I don't use QuickTime as a Player or editor (not even close to my preferred choice). All QuickTime extensions are assigned to Media Player Classic: Home Cinema (64-bit). Or I use VLC. I have QuickTime installed for use with iTunes an M4V - MP4 files for use with iDevices, you get the idea.
Old 14th November 2013, 00:42   #18292  |  Link
setarip_old

@Sharc

Thanks for your response, however, (Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been) although I too had no problem making a movie only BD9 of "The Man of Steel", the problem arose when trying to make a FULL DISC copy.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated ;>}
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 00:45   #18293  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs
Quote:
Why v0.44.16 rather than a current version?
I've been occupied with personal matters and have not been able to devote much time to my favorite hobby, BD-RB ;>}

Quote:
Is it possible the audio is the limiting factor?
Yes - What can I do to adjust the audio, while using v.0.44.16?

Last edited by setarip_old; 14th November 2013 at 00:49.
Old 14th November 2013, 00:59   #18294  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
More testing done. Thinking there might be some incompatibilities between PowerDVD 12 and Windows 8.1, I downloaded the trial version of PowerDVD 13. The Bourne blu ray movie works in this player as it should, with the first play being the menu. All the titles seem to work, as well as the chapters.

I made a second test movie, this time making a 50gb blu ray and using the movies Blade Runner and Moon as input. The originals are blu ray source. This second movie plays in both Arcsoft TMT 5 and PowerDVD 13, but the menu doesn't show up. It simply starts with the first title in both those players. It is possible to select the other title from within TMT 5, and it is possible to access the menu in PowerDVD 13 once it starts playing the first title.

So playback in the major software players is a bit hit or miss.
If there is only one title there will be no menu? If there are fewer than 3 titles it starts on the first title and you have to choose MENU from the remote to see it (although that's changing in the next release).

Last edited by jdobbs; 14th November 2013 at 14:56.
Old 14th November 2013, 13:49   #18295  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:

Yes - What can I do to adjust the audio, while using v.0.44.16?
Did you choose to re-encode the audio track to AC3 (448kbps), or did you leave the audio intact?
Old 14th November 2013, 15:45   #18296  |  Link
andref4

@ jdobbs

found a bug by creating 3d (mkv).

if automatically crop black borders is enabled, enconding wont start and process stops.
if automatically crop black borders is disabled, encoding process works fine.

would be nice if you can fix this in upcoming bd rebuilder version.

many thx and kind regards from germany
andref4
andref4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 17:05   #18297  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Source's are iPad 2; Windows Media Player Classic shows this:
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 29.97fps 10418kbps [Video]
Audio: AAC 44100Hz mono 63kbps [Audio]

For one of the files. The video and audio play well with my LG Player when burned to a BD-RE DL as a data disk or USB flash drive. AFTER each file file has been converted to MKV from MOV with BD-RB's Alternate Output with AC-3.

When Importing the MKV's the audio plays as should with my LG player. When Imported (before converting to MKV) from MOV and burned, there's an interesting audio "stutter" effect. I'll get some video ready for you and email...

I don't use QuickTime as a Player or editor (not even close to my preferred choice). All QuickTime extensions are assigned to Media Player Classic: Home Cinema (64-bit). Or I use VLC. I have QuickTime installed for use with iTunes an M4V - MP4 files for use with iDevices, you get the idea.
It turns out that the issue exists because the video was 1280x720 @ 29.97fps -- which is an illegal BD format. During video imports BD-RB is supposed to catch that kind of thing and make adjustments. It missed that one. I've added code so that the input is resized (during reencode) to 1920x1080@29.97 (which is a legal format). The other option would have been to change the frame rate to 59.94fps -- but I think that would be a less optimal solution.

Last edited by jdobbs; 14th November 2013 at 18:46.
Old 14th November 2013, 17:49   #18298  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by andref4 View Post
@ jdobbs

found a bug by creating 3d (mkv).

if automatically crop black borders is enabled, enconding wont start and process stops.
if automatically crop black borders is disabled, encoding process works fine.

would be nice if you can fix this in upcoming bd rebuilder version.

many thx and kind regards from germany
andref4
I tested it. There's really nothing I can do other than preventing the use of autocropping with 3D. The AutoCrop function causes an access violation when the source is 3D. I have no idea why, but I suspect it is related to DirectshowMVCSource() -- since I know it can generate that same error when its path doesn't contain a certain character sequence. Both DirectshowMVCSource() and AutoCrop() are developed by a 3d party.

You may be able to do the crop manually with a filter. But it gets complicated keeping the aspect ratio right, since ALTERNATE output is set to a fixed height & width based on the ALTERNATE.TXT settings. It's not impossible, but you'd need to create a custom output format (actually you'd have to do that even if AutoCrop worked).

Last edited by jdobbs; 14th November 2013 at 17:56.
Old 14th November 2013, 19:58   #18299  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
I tested it. There's really nothing I can do other than preventing the use of autocropping with 3D. The AutoCrop function causes an access violation when the source is 3D. I have no idea why, but I suspect it is related to DirectshowMVCSource() -- since I know it can generate that same error when its path doesn't contain a certain character sequence. Both DirectshowMVCSource() and AutoCrop() are developed by a 3d party.

You may be able to do the crop manually with a filter. But it gets complicated keeping the aspect ratio right, since ALTERNATE output is set to a fixed height & width based on the ALTERNATE.TXT settings. It's not impossible, but you'd need to create a custom output format (actually you'd have to do that even if AutoCrop worked).
Just my two cents, I have used directshowmvcsource with autocrop in past and it didn't cause any problem or lead to unexpected behavior for me. However I created monoscopic frame for further processing.
Old 14th November 2013, 20:02   #18300  |  Link
setarip_old

@Sharc
Quote:
Did you choose to re-encode the audio track to AC3 (448kbps), or did you leave the audio intact?
I did NOT choose to re-encode the audio track to .AC3 - Because, if I remember correctly, if making a BD9, BD-RB AUTOMATICALLY re-encodes HD audio to .AC3 (640kbps)...