Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th November 2019, 18:59   #57801  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
If you add "hdr=on" or "transfer=hdr" to the file name you'll get passthrough even using ffdshow.
I confirm it. I'm watching 4K HDR movies using MPC-HC+SVP+madVR thanks to this trick.
It would be better if madshi will add a hotkey to force HDR mode passthrough though.

Last edited by cork_OS; 19th November 2019 at 19:02.
cork_OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 20:25   #57802  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMU View Post
Yes it is clear. But how then to change the bitdepth of the output of the madVR depending on the HDR? This is necessary for owners of AMD video cards, as their API does not support HDR with 8 bits.
where would you come accross an 8bit HDR movie though?
Old 19th November 2019, 20:48   #57803  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
maybe he will update the AGS which has been updated according to "user" feat back so it may support 8 bit finally.
This is sad. Now there is already the ability to dynamically control the Windows HDR switch using DXGI. So, there is no particular need for the use of the HDR private API's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
8 bit output needed for SDR content. But profiles for switching between HDR and SDR do not work. I gave the link above.

Last edited by DMU; 19th November 2019 at 21:04.
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 21:18   #57804  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
where did you come accross a 10 bit RGB source?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 21:50   #57805  |  Link
Devrim

Does anyone here use MadVR on Windows 10 LTSC? Are there any issues with it?
Devrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 00:03   #57806  |  Link
redbtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrim View Post
Does anyone here use MadVR on Windows 10 LTSC? Are there any issues with it?
I use. No issues whatsoever
redbtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 01:40   #57807  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMU View Post
This is sad. Now there is already the ability to dynamically control the Windows HDR switch using DXGI. So, there is no particular need for the use of the HDR private API's.

8 bit output needed for SDR content. But profiles for switching between HDR and SDR do not work. I gave the link above.
i'm probably just misunderstanding what you are saying. Are you saying that MADVR is failing to recognise and switch to a HDR profile based on bit rate on AMD cards due to an API issue with HDR?

I tried creating a HDR profile ages ago and couldnt not get it work but I decided I didnt need it anyway so I havent looked at it again until now. I'm looking at it again now as I'm trying to get my processing below 30ms with tone mapping and using NGU AA on my RX580.

i'm pretty close now with these settings, can anyone recommend any other tweaks to give me a few exta miliseconds?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgvFafeelEBigqsK...SPe_g?e=Kthzck

Last edited by mclingo; 20th November 2019 at 01:48.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 03:07   #57808  |  Link
huhn

the card it self has nothing to do with this it's the bad API from AMD that is related but the bug is in madVR. and the bug is that the properties are ignored in profiles when "HDR" is used for a check but work if bitdepth are used for the check.

if AMD would work with 8 bit he wouldn't need an profile because he would just use 8 bit (which was been proven to be better for consumer TVs over and over again) but that's not possible because the API is super limited.

all this doesn't change that there is a bug in madVR.
Old 20th November 2019, 08:52   #57809  |  Link
Alucard777

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
At some stage madshi was looking to add support for this but it will either happen in 5-10 years or not at all. I asked pinterf about 10bit parsing/support in ffdshow but he's too busy for this. Honestly I hold no hope of this ever being done in the 2020s if at all.
thank you for your replay & hopefully madshi will add it asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
If you add "hdr=on" or "transfer=hdr" to the file name you'll get passthrough even using ffdshow.
i kinda knew this trick
https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:4K_and_HDR
, but i wanted something more easier , thank you any way

Last edited by Alucard777; 20th November 2019 at 08:56.
Alucard777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 09:01   #57810  |  Link
justnobody

question about HDR tone mapping, for monitor without HDR support, but with DCI-P3

I bought a 32" monitor and found out they just rolled out a newer model (like under same price lol), both no HDR supported, meaning 300cd/m2 max, but the newer added DCI-P3 gamut, they are basically the same panel but the later one has the DCI-P3 option (92%) besdies sRGB etc.

my question: the monitor I bought which is the older one, no DCI-P3 menu

when we enable the tone mapping, what if a monitor that can enable DCI-P3 in the menu (in monitor's own menu), will it get better result, than the old one, bascially the same panel?
justnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 09:05   #57811  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
the bug is that the properties are ignored in profiles when "HDR" is used for a check but work if bitdepth are used for the check.
Exactly! Thanks for explaining my bad English.
By the way, this bug allows you to set the bitdepth of dithering other than the bitdepth of the madVR output. For example, you can do 8-bit dithering, but transfer the necessary 10 bit stream to AMD API (AGS) for the correct output of HDR, if I'm not mistaken. The statistics window show this.

Last edited by DMU; 20th November 2019 at 09:31.
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 13:50   #57812  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnobody View Post
question about HDR tone mapping, for monitor without HDR support, but with DCI-P3

I bought a 32" monitor and found out they just rolled out a newer model (like under same price lol), both no HDR supported, meaning 300cd/m2 max, but the newer added DCI-P3 gamut, they are basically the same panel but the later one has the DCI-P3 option (92%) besdies sRGB etc.

my question: the monitor I bought which is the older one, no DCI-P3 menu

when we enable the tone mapping, what if a monitor that can enable DCI-P3 in the menu (in monitor's own menu), will it get better result, than the old one, bascially the same panel?
My SDR 32" monitor might reach 95% DCI-P3 after calibration, and does not have any menu settings.
So I guest you can try to change madVR settings for DCI-P3 in calibration tab to see if it can get some color enhancement.
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 16:02   #57813  |  Link
Magik Mark

Can someone share the best way to watch HDR via madvr in LG C9?

What is the optimum setting?

Any solution on too bright subtitle using xysubfilter and asssubfilter? How do we dim this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20th November 2019, 16:08   #57814  |  Link
SamuriHL

There's a reason "best" kind of posts are not generally considered useful. The settings for HDR are subjective. HDR in madvr is a rather complicated topic right now because the last official release is well over a year old now and doesn't have any of the enhancements to HDR that's been done in the test builds since that time. And those changes are nothing short of remarkable. There's a lot to set up and configure because they are test builds that are designed to test various parameters of the new Histogram Tone Mapping algorithm. People have posted screen shots of their various settings for different display types in the madvr test build thread on AVS. Find one that matches your C9 and start there. But this is not a "flip a couple switches and you get the absolute best quality" kind of thing right now. It'll get there, but, everything is in flux with the test builds.
Old 21st November 2019, 17:54   #57815  |  Link
tyguy

I have i7 7700k and a geforce 2070 super using the latest game ready drivers and the playback isn't smooth on my lg c9 in madvr despite the low rendering times. I'm using full screen exclusive and I keep vsync activated globally in the nvidia control panel. Is anybody else having issues with rtx cards with the latest game ready drivers?
tyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2019, 19:01   #57816  |  Link
Klaus1189

There was already an issue with LG C9, but not about "smoothness", but about wrong blacks, see also here:
AMD, Intel and Nvidia driver issues and last recommended version
click link for more info in line of 441.20.

But there was/is also a stutter issue with RTX cards, for the workaround see the second Note before Nvidia driver history. Hope it helps
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2019, 19:45   #57817  |  Link
tyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
There was already an issue with LG C9, but not about "smoothness", but about wrong blacks, see also here:
AMD, Intel and Nvidia driver issues and last recommended version
click link for more info in line of 441.20.

But there was/is also a stutter issue with RTX cards, for the workaround see the second Note before Nvidia driver history. Hope it helps
Yeah, they fixed the black issues on the latest game ready drivers. I'll try out those settings in nvidia inspector when I get home and report back. thanks!

Someone else suggested using dx 11 native instead of nvenc, which doesn't make much sense to me.

"Set your video decoder to D3D11 Native (Automatic)."
Old 21st November 2019, 20:14   #57818  |  Link
huhn

cuvid is not in an optimal state it currently has no real advantages over dxva2 copyback but disadvantages.
nev had some ideas with it that would be really cool but that doesn't mean he will do it.
Old 21st November 2019, 20:25   #57819  |  Link
Klaus1189

What ideas?
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2019, 20:49   #57820  |  Link
tyguy

Quote:
cuvid is not in an optimal state it currently has no real advantages over dxva2 copyback but disadvantages.
nev had some ideas with it that would be really cool but that doesn't mean he will do it.
Okay, ill go back to using dxva2 copyback I was using that with amd, I thought I was suppose to use cuvid with nvidia cards.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling