Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th January 2015, 13:53   #21  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
By the way, will another Bluray player play burned blurays that the Xbox wouldnt?
Every Sony player I've used will play standalone files from disc, assuming it supports them (MP4, MKV, AVI etc). Earlier models had no USB input, so via disc was the only way to do it. And of course they'll play discs burned using the standard DVD and Bluray formats.
Keep in mind most, if not all, current Bluray players implement Cinavia copy protection (it's compulsory these days). It's a kind of watermark contained within the audio. Movies with Cinavia are in the minority, and it's a copy protection not found outside Bluray players all that much (except maybe for Sony devices such as PS3 or licensed software players), but it's something to keep in mind.
Try a Google search on "list of cinavia movies" or something similar.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 17:16   #22  |  Link
HeatM1ser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Well, I understand that asking is simpler than trying to figure out for yourself.. but you haven't even the level 1 of homeworks completed.

You have a file and and you have troubles with it. Why? Nobody else than you should know why because it's you the one that made this file. It appears to be an MKV, of a rather big size, which fairly suggests it's a BDREMUX, that is the video is most probably H.264 and the audio at least DD if not HDaudio.

Have you checked whther your players support this? In my misery I alsways check at the store whether my new player would support what I intend to play. Moreover, have you checked whther, assuming they support it, they also support it from burned optical media, network or USB? Many don't. My players do not support any of them MP3 from DVDR, yet they are happy to play them from anything else, network, CDR, USB etc.

If any of the answers is NO, you have to do something - either a workaround, or a change in hardware (a new player).

PS: to keep a 17GB file (or a BD25) on an USB stick one can use a 32GB, 64 is however recommended at today's prices (and for BD50). Provided it's formatted NTFS (or ext2/ext3). Which poses the problem that some (older) players do not support it.
I have done my homework, and the guy who posted after you poted the links that I had read. It says MKV files will be supported by late 2014, which is why I am confused why mine didnt work.What other file format is as close to bluray quality that I can try?(Yes, I see the other formats accepted, but just dont know which is of the highest quality)
HeatM1ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 17:37   #23  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
It says MKV files will be supported by late 2014, which is why I am confused why mine didnt work
Yeah, the (in)fameous marketing trick - this feature will be present in a future firmware

I understand this.

Reading the linked pages are also less encourgaging as they only state the future plans...

In your case it appears that you have to downconvert the audio, as even in the future plans THD and DTSHD are not supported within MKV.

The only good solution IMHO is to buy a multimedia player. This will certainly play most if not all combinations of codec/container/media (like H.264+AAC/MP4/USB) and thus play files of various origins without convertions.
If you choose this path, check and test them, as many of them actually have issues with HD audio. For instance, when I bought mine many years ago there were exactly two models that could play a backuped bluray disc.

PS: I had this kind of discussions many times over in various (eg Satellite fora) all revolving around the same thing: why my XYZ receiver cannot play AVI or MKV or MP4? The answer is in short the same, because they are something different (sat-receiver, game console etc) and any facility in this direction is a bonus not an acquired right.
Old 18th January 2015, 19:12   #24  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
I have done my homework, and the guy who posted after you poted the links that I had read. It says MKV files will be supported by late 2014, which is why I am confused why mine didnt work.What other file format is as close to bluray quality that I can try?(Yes, I see the other formats accepted, but just dont know which is of the highest quality)
Maybe then, when asking "why can't I play MKVs" you might have included that information. You still haven't made it clear whether you've updated the firmware/software (I don't own an Xbox, so I don't know how it works) but I'd assume given you're expecting to be able to play MKVs you've done just that.
The more info you provide the easier it's likely to be to find the cause of the problem.

We know you've just bought a 65 inch TV, and if it's got a USB port it's very likely to have an inbuilt media player, and it's most likely capable of playing MKVs, but without more details, who knows......

The procedure is generally something like this:
If you don't know exactly what's in the files you're trying to play, have a look with MediaInfo (download the portable version to avoid any Adware). After opening a media file the View/Tree menu will provide details you can copy and paste here if need be.
With any luck the device's manual will provide you with details regarding the containers (file types) it'll play and the various video and audio formats supported by each container. From there you'd work out if the container/video codec/audio codec combination is one your device supports.
Unfortunately the info provided by the manufacturer is often vague and/or incomplete, so it's not always that simple, but that's the starting point. If you can't work it out, post all the details provided by MediaInfo along with the player make and model if need be, and with any luck, someone might be able to help.

It seems a little odd the Xbox displayed some sort of thumbnail of the video (I assume, as you said it displayed a picture) but then said the file type wasn't supported.
Maybe the video is of a supported type, but the audio is not. If that's the case, many players would play the video without any audio, but the Xbox may just refuse to play it completely. I don't know. If it's the audio that's the problem, it can be converted to another format without re-encoding the video if need be, but first things first......

Last edited by hello_hello; 18th January 2015 at 19:15.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 17:31   #25  |  Link
setarip_old

@HeatM1ser

Hi!

Just as an historical piece of information, IIRC the earliest XBoxes played the then-competing HD-DVDs but not Blu-rays...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 18:42   #26  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
IIRC the earliest XBoxes played the then-competing HD-DVDs but not Blu-rays...
Xbox One supports blu-ray.
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-o...ray-dvd-movies

--------

HeatM1ser, maybe Nero wasn't a good idea.
It's not exactly the first thing people talk about when creating discs.
Maybe a decade ago.

What exactly did you do with AnyDVD?
Did you copy the movie-only, like to MKV and then use Nero to author a BD Disc?

You should try AnyDVD with BD-Rebuilder, maybe.
It re-authors discs to be compliant. And more talked about than Nero.
It's also free.

AnyDVD is needed to just to decrypt the disc, as BD-Rebuilder is not a decrypter.

I don't have a BD burner, so I don't have a need for BD-Rebuilder so can't say if it will copy the movie (no transcoding) or if it will re-encode (based on settings).

As for burning to disc, use ImgBurn.
It respects images and formats much better than Nero.
It's also free. And highly recommended way more than Nero.

-----

Looking up support for the Xbox One and Bluray, it should support audio formats up to 7.1, and various audio formats (DTS, Dolby).
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12665

Try going to that support page on xbox website and queue up to install that. Again if necessary.
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-o...ray-dvd-movies
The console might need a codec update.
IIRC, any codec updates/support need to be done manually.
AAC has 2 update patches for the 360, both need to searched manually and clicked-to-install.

Sign in and queue it to install then try the disc again.
And try the original disc. The original should work.
If the original works, then Nero didn't do a good job making the disc.

--------

Regarding external devices for Xbox One....
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/x...t/1830562.aspx
*scroll down*

Posted 3 Jan 2015 9:40 PM
Quote:
Steps to solve external hard drive issues for use with games and apps:
1) Format the drive to NTFS to get the Xbox One to recognize it as a media device.

Plug the drive into your PC
Press the Windows Key + E to bring up Windows Explorer
Find the drive in the sidebar on the left, right click on it and select "Format..."
Format the drive. NTFS is the only important thing; default settings should be fine.
This may take awhile. Disconnect the drive when the format completes

2) Format the drive to work with Xbox One games and apps.

Turn on your Xbox One, press the Menu button on your controller and navigate to the Settings page
Navigate to System, then Manage Storage
Plug in the external hard drive, it should appear to the right of Internal storage. If it does not, verify it fulfills the listed requirements on the Storage page
Highlight the drive, select it with the A button (or voice or gesture), and then select Format [drive for Xbox One games and apps]
Almost instantly it should be formatted and you're good to go!
-----

I don't have an XO. Just a 360.
I don't use it for anything these days, not even movie playback.

Try using the search in some threads in the "MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs" sub-forum.
http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Pick any thread and do a search for xbox one in there.
Try the ones already mentioned: MeGUI, Staxrip.
Any of the ones with frequent activity.
Someone is bound to have some feedback on encoding for XO.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)

Last edited by Sparktank; 19th January 2015 at 19:12.
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote