Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd March 2019, 14:31   #55441  |  Link
RXP

Use any of the dedicated players out there. I have an apple TV, Shield and I think my Panasonic UHD supports Netflix HDR. HDR on Windows with Netflix is poor, no proper metadata
RXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 14:40   #55442  |  Link
jbnpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post

So how is an Envy going to fix that ?

I have no info on envy but I am assuming it would work with any source.

In that case you can use something like an apple tv 4k. You set atv to hd60p so your home screen looks normal(sdr). But you can also enable range matching, so that when you start hdr content on the netflix app it would simply switch to 24p hdr.

Now envy can simply do is thing on the output. Eg. Tone map the hdr to sdr etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 14:52   #55443  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnpaul View Post
I have no info on envy but I am assuming it would work with any source.
k
Yeah I guess so, I have no external sources as such for that. The envy also sounds like it will cost the same as my TV, so I will just settle for the TV App I guess.
Old 22nd March 2019, 15:14   #55444  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
Yeah I guess so, I have no external sources as such for that. The envy also sounds like it will cost the same as my TV, so I will just settle for the TV App I guess.
That's the confusing issue atm, as a Pro-tool, the envy works fine, since source agnostic might be a must.

As a entertainment consumer device , The price/ performance favors HTPC.

For consumers HTPC has a large upperhand because it does things other than movies. So if you got $600 extra, you can get Envy for movies, or 2080gtx for Movies and Games.

Maybe madshi will make an Envy-Lite, or Mad-Lut, Lutbox for $200..
Old 22nd March 2019, 15:36   #55445  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
As a entertainment consumer device , The price/ performance favors HTPC
Unfortunately, the future doesn't favor HTPCs, as streaming services are losting features on them and are generally terrible UX on a 10ft PC (they are designed for mouse usage most of the time), nevermind that you basically cannot run them through madVR anyway.
And even if you're sailing the high seas, 4K HDR content is not always available, since thats using the highest protections they have.

If you watch a lot of Netflix, Amazon Prime etc, then a $50 FireTV is just so much nicer.

And any other form of content is slowly receding.

So basically, a HTPC may be nicer in some aspects, but its all irrelevant if the content isn't even available, and a HTPC also does no good if you can't use madVR in the first place.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 22nd March 2019 at 15:38.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 16:03   #55446  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Maybe madshi will make an Envy-Lite, or Mad-Lut, Lutbox for $200..
That would be sweeeeeeeeeeeet :-)
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 19:20   #55447  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Unfortunately, the future doesn't favor HTPCs, as streaming services are losting features on them and are generally terrible UX on a 10ft PC (they are designed for mouse usage most of the time), nevermind that you basically cannot run them through madVR anyway.
And even if you're sailing the high seas, 4K HDR content is not always available, since thats using the highest protections they have.

If you watch a lot of Netflix, Amazon Prime etc, then a $50 FireTV is just so much nicer.

And any other form of content is slowly receding.

So basically, a HTPC may be nicer in some aspects, but its all irrelevant if the content isn't even available, and a HTPC also does no good if you can't use madVR in the first place.

You wouldn't do it this way, but, we can put a 2080gtx Inside a $200 , (old sandybridge/ivy bridge/haswell boxes), totaling $800, and it will work just as well as any high end HTPC with regard to madvr.

Netflix is a valid case if tone mapping is that important to the user.

But overall, someone who watches alot of netflix is less commonly the target for a High-End video device, since netflix has low bitrate, ontop of poor quality control on the encoding side.

Could Envy improve whatever comes out of that, SURE, but benefits are iffy.

4K hdr bluray is not going away anytime soon. They've invested massive infrastructure in this.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 22nd March 2019 at 20:45.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 21:07   #55448  |  Link
NoTechi

I am watching Netflix on Xbox One X since it gives me HDR and Atmos. I was using the shield before which I would still use if Netflix would run with Atmos. Netflix HDR and Atmos on PC app is a mess especcially with a JVC and pink bug.

So being able to have whatever source being processed by a madvr box would be great

NoTechi
NoTechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 23:44   #55449  |  Link
ryrynz

Tp4 can you learn to edit quotes down please? It was two posts above yours.. We're reading serially you know.
Bugs me ignoring half of an entire post just cos.

http://imgur.com/a/OrtdPWO
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 02:11   #55450  |  Link
JonnyRedHed

Hi everyone.

Can I ask, have there been any bugs regarding just turning on 'automatically detect hard coded black bars' causing video freezes for a second or two, and then rushing to catch up. With audio continuing to play in sync. Repeats randomly every 3-10 minutes of viewing whilst 'automatically detect hard coded black bars' is checked.

Zoomplayer Max (latest beta), latest madvr. Win7x64. GTX670.

Might be just isolated to me and my really old computer. But I've managed to track what ever 'it' is down to just turning on 'automatically detect hard coded black bars', having some or all of those options on or off doesn't appear to cause the bug. Just 'automatically detect hard coded black bars' being check with no options selected.

Last edited by JonnyRedHed; 23rd March 2019 at 02:17.
JonnyRedHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 02:41   #55451  |  Link
ryrynz

Jonny, check your GPU usage and madvr queues. Post your OSD?
Old 23rd March 2019, 03:20   #55452  |  Link
JonnyRedHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Jonny, check your GPU usage and madvr queues. Post your OSD?
Thanks for the prompt reply,

Screenshot fullscreen zoomplayer madvr

http://i63.tinypic.com/20uri1w.png

GPU usage varies but never over 90%. With this 1080p video file no more than 40-50%. Some SD content can reach 85% usage, as can 720p.

Last edited by JonnyRedHed; 23rd March 2019 at 03:27.
Old 23rd March 2019, 03:51   #55453  |  Link
ryrynz

Your present queue is awfully low. Either your card is having issues performance wise or something is interfering with it. Focus Assist enabled?
Old 23rd March 2019, 05:13   #55454  |  Link
huhn

this screenshoot is nearly for sure not from playback but while playback is paused making it not really useful.

make one while playback isn't stopped and best after or when he problem happens.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 07:15   #55455  |  Link
ryrynz

True completely forgot about that.. It would be 1-8/8 if it wasn't paused.
Jonny, what's your CPU utilization like? Does the OSD show anything different when these lags happen?

Last edited by ryrynz; 23rd March 2019 at 07:26.
Old 23rd March 2019, 11:36   #55456  |  Link
JonnyRedHed

Quote:
True completely forgot about that.. It would be 1-8/8 if it wasn't paused.
Jonny, what's your CPU utilization like? Does the OSD show anything different when these lags happen?

Yes your correct screenshot after pause, I apologise.

Whats the best way to present screen grabs to you here, like below or some other way so they display here without you needing to click off-site.

x264 1080p file - playing for 10 secs and then for 5 minutes
'automatically detect hard coded black bars' disabled

http://i63.tinypic.com/651t3k.png
http://i68.tinypic.com/34in7mf.png

screen grab of afterburner and openhardwaremonitor stats
red ring indicates period of stable playback,
'automatically detect hard coded black bars' disabled.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2egb8np.png

x265 file 1080p - same fullscreen playing
'automatically detect hard coded black bars' disabled.

http://i65.tinypic.com/28849i9.png

stats

http://i67.tinypic.com/281rc4y.png

x264 1080p fullscreen playback with 'automatically detect hard coded black bars' enabled

stutter/glitch - highlighted in red

http://i67.tinypic.com/2l8ufx1.png

Madvr OSD does not show anything odd at moment of video freeze and catch up.

This has been happening across a few or more madvr releases and NV drivers and Zoomplayer versions. Maybe 6 months or so.

Computer:

Win7x64
i5 2500k @4.5Ghz
16Gb 2133Mhz Ram
GPU MSI GTX 670 OC (can boost to stable 1306 Mhz)

TV 50inch LG Plasma via HDMI (TV in PC mode)

Last edited by JonnyRedHed; 23rd March 2019 at 11:49. Reason: skool, should of gone more often
Old 23rd March 2019, 11:45   #55457  |  Link
actarusfleed

composition rate

Hi guys,
look at this picture ...

On my htpc I've installed MPC HC and Kodi DSPlayer + MadVR lastest official version + latest LAV filters.
My GPU is an NVIDIA 2080.

Like you can see if I reproduce a file with MPC HC appears "composition rate 60Hz".
It not happens in DSplayer.

Why? is it normal?
If I deactivate FSE the "composition rate" voice disappear.

Another question:
Why I see two different scaling voices?
> chroma > NGU sharp (high)
> chroma > Bicubic60 AR

Why two settings for the same chroma upscaling function?

Thank you so much
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 11:50   #55458  |  Link
ryrynz

That's interesting.. does anyone else experience these GPU load spikes when this is enabled?
Jonny, can you back up and test with default settings (use the default madvr settings batch file) + black bar detection enabled to see if this still occurs?
This happens with all files, yes? I'm not aware of any issues with Zoomplayer but can you quickly test with MPC-HC or BE to confirm it's not related to Zoomplayer in any way? That is is defaults don't fix the issue.
Old 23rd March 2019, 12:07   #55459  |  Link
JonnyRedHed

Quote:
That's interesting.. does anyone else experience these GPU load spikes when this is enabled?
Jonny, can you back up and test with default settings (use the default madvr settings batch file) + black bar detection enabled to see if this still occurs?
This happens with all files, yes? I'm not aware of any issues with Zoomplayer but can you quickly test with MPC-HC or BE to confirm it's not related to Zoomplayer in any way? That is is defaults don't fix the issue.

I have already backed up my old madvr settings bin (with profiles) and reset a few times over the last few days for a clean start whilst I tried to get to the bottom of the stutters. Using at present no profiles on size fits all whilst testing. Having lived with it for ages now I just ran with 'automatically detect hard coded black bars' disabled up until a few days ago.

All content and file types I have yes. x264, x265, MP4, MKV, SD-1080p.

Rolled back a few versions (4 or 5) of madvr, ZP max (beta and recent stables), lav filters (3 versions), but stuttering glitch is still present. Back now with latest madvr, zp beta, lav filters.

Only wanting to use it for some old SD content to clean up dirty edges on 4:3 content, I turned it back on, but soon found I needed to track down what was going on.

It took a few hours of working up from defaults to isolate the stutter and catch up glitch, until enabling 'automatically detect hard coded black bars'. At first I thought it was one of the sub settings once enabled but soon discovered it wasn't and just checking 'automatically detect hard coded black bars' caused the stutters, with any content type.

With madvr settings reset, and with just 'automatically detect hard coded black bars' enabled, it does still act exactly the same way. Less gpu usage with defaults, but the stutter/catchup/glitch is there exactly as you see here: http://i67.tinypic.com/2l8ufx1.png

I've no other players installed, and have only used ZP for like ever. I'd have to check up on how to use MPC-HC with madvr, and other players, and am not sure what BE is, is this a player.

Last edited by JonnyRedHed; 23rd March 2019 at 12:36. Reason: skool, should of gone more often
Old 23rd March 2019, 12:20   #55460  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyRedHed View Post
not sure what BE is, is this a player.
Media Player Classic - BE, MPC-BE, it is my favourite player.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=165890
Download latest nightlies here: https://yadi.sk/d/hlf1lfC8mKU58
These are rocksolid.

Last edited by Klaus1189; 23rd March 2019 at 13:02. Reason: Added quote
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling