Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 31st July 2013, 20:12   #2321  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@Big Vern

see Help/FAQ/Burning/Q7.2

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 06:15   #2322  |  Link
Big Vern

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
@Big Vern

see Help/FAQ/Burning/Q7.2

Bye
Thank you Mr. C
Big Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 16:56   #2323  |  Link
Reino

Quote:
AVStoDVD release 2.7.1 is available...
The custom-Avisynth-script-issue is gone now. Thank you, MrC.
Old 17th August 2013, 18:30   #2324  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
Using post-March 21st builds of FFmpeg has one glaring caveat concerning AviSynth: 2.5.8 doesn't like it one bit, and any source loading filter causes 2.5.8 to crash with the new demuxer. 2.6 and AvxSynth (the latter has no bearing on AVStoDVD) have no problems with it. This would also include the upcoming release of FFmpeg 1.3, unless the 2.5.8 issue either gets fixed in the interim or it's something further down inside of FFmpeg (or libavformat) that requires some other change to cope with it.
Updates.

'1.3' wasn't used as the version number; it was actually released as FFmpeg 2.0. It still has the problematic behavior with 2.5.8.

FFmpeg 2.0.1 includes a stopgap fix that prevents video from loading if 2.5 is detected and warns the user to upgrade to 2.6. Audio can still be handled through 2.5.8, just so long as the script doesn't try to hand video to FFmpeg (in other words, KillVideo() or loading audio-only files works; this is also true of 2.0, but the difference is that 2.0.1 won't crash if you accidentally try to give it video through 2.5.8).

The current git master of FFmpeg (as of 4 hours ago; as I'm typing this post it's the second-to-newest commit) contains a true fix that allows 2.5.8 to fully work properly once more. So projecting this to some future release, it'd be either a '2.0.2' or a '2.1', unless it gets a major version bump again.
qyot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 15:33   #2325  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@qyot27

thanks for the very interesting update. Hopefully the FFmpeg developers will continue to support AviSynth scripts in upcoming releases. Meanwhile I will stick to Nov 2012 version.

Keep us updated!

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 18th August 2013, 18:57   #2326  |  Link
qyot27
...?

I wouldn't worry about AviSynth support being dropped, it's simply that the AviSynth demuxer received a very long overdue upgrade* this year and getting it completely back up to speed has just taken several months. Now that 2.5 works with it again, I'd say it's on an equal level to where it was before the rewrite, except with the added bonuses that it can work on Linux and OSX now (by using AvxSynth), and it outputs its error messages to FFmpeg's logging functions which displays it on stdout/stderr rather than writing an error video you have to watch in order to diagnose it. I can personally attest that using it with 2.6 seems to be rock-solid.

You'll also note that generally, the AviSynth demuxer tends to be really stable, and rarely needs fixing. There's only one page of commits that refer to AviSynth when you search on FFmpeg's git repo, only 38 commits (some of which are actually merges and a couple that only mention AviSynth but don't touch its demuxer), and a good half of them are from this year and concern the new demuxer. So that's roughly 20 commits over the 6½ years that FFmpeg used the old version. Now that the new one is more or less on equal ground, the commits on it will probably drop off like the old one's did and it'll just be about making sure it still compiles whenever libavformat's API changes.

*The old AviSynth demuxer relied on accessing scripts through Video for Windows. The new demuxer loads and uses avisynth.dll (or libavxsynth.[so|dylib]) directly. x264 underwent a similar transition from VfW to direct loading in late 2009, which is why I said that it was long overdue on FFmpeg's side.
Old 18th August 2013, 23:32   #2327  |  Link
manolito

Hi qyot27,

I do appreciate your helpful comments about ffmpeg compatibility with different versions of AviSynth very much, but this also triggers a real bad ranting about ffmpeg development (this is in no way directed at you)...

I come from the very old days of IBM compatible computers, and backward compatability was everything at this time. When Apple came into the game, they had a very different attitude about backward compatibility, and this was always one of the reasons I hated Apple.

Now the ffmpeg developpers release versions which only work with AviSynth 2.6 which is still Alpha. Are they crazy? Alpha means that it should not be used in productive environments.

I try to avoid ffmpeg as much as I can, but this is not always possible. I have at least 5 different ffmpeg versions on my computer, and if the version which came with a specific software actually works, I am happy. But in reality this is not always the case.

One example is WinFF. They try to use current versions of ffmpeg, but often they fail to update their templates for yet another change in the ffmpeg command line interface. I spent a lot of time to debug these things or to find a different ffmpeg version which actually worked.

ffmpeg documentation is another problem, in most cases the documentation which comes with a specific ffmpeg version is faulty and does not match the actual ffmpeg version.

My conclusion is that ffmpeg is a prime example how distributed software development should NOT be done. Pure chaos...

OK, this is OT for this thread, but I had to get this out!

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 01:47   #2328  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Now the ffmpeg developpers release versions which only work with AviSynth 2.6 which is still Alpha. Are they crazy? Alpha means that it should not be used in productive environments.
That it only worked with 2.6 (video-wise; 2.5.8 did still work for audio) was an honest oversight. In this case I'll willingly shoulder a lot of the blame for not realizing this since I helped test the patches back in February and March and have periodically submitted follow-up patches (including the one that fixes it with 2.5.8) on a couple of the issues the new demuxer has.

As SEt notes here, though, 2.6 is not alpha as far as stability goes. There was also another quote that I can't find now where someone - I can't remember who - admitted that the 2.6 builds were being used as a sort of '2.5.9' since it's been so long since the last release (2.5.8 was released nearly 5 years ago, after all) and it resolves many of the bugs that 2.5.8 had. I'd say that assessment isn't far off from reality, even given some of the recent big changes that have occurred.
Old 6th September 2013, 16:54   #2329  |  Link
fantasmanegro

i was trying to encode with last avstodvd 2.7.1... but hcenc crash at second pass in 65%... no log in temp files...

any clue?
fantasmanegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 20:15   #2330  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

1. Does it crash with every input title?

2. Have you tried to use FFMpegSource instead of A2DSource?

3. Have you tried to switch to FFmpeg CBR 1-pass?

The project log file would be helpful, even the project has not ended.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 9th September 2013, 19:16   #2331  |  Link
fantasmanegro

Quote:
1. Does it crash with every input title?

2. Have you tried to use FFMpegSource instead of A2DSource?

3. Have you tried to switch to FFmpeg CBR 1-pass?

The project log file would be helpful, even the project has not ended.

Bye
there is no log... i was using lavf as splitter and ffdshow as decoder... but yesterday i changed from a2dsource to FFMPEGSource and Lavf to Haali and there was no error...

when i was using lavf there was no error message in hcenc, but after start using haali, there was a warning in hcenc about different frames in second pass...

this is the first time i'm having "bugs" with avstodvd... not before...

it's working right now...
fantasmanegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 08:03   #2332  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasmanegro View Post
there is no log...
not possible, look in output folder, there is a .log file with the same name of your project.

Meanwhile, thanks for the report.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 1st October 2013, 18:42   #2333  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

AVStoDVD Not working on Win7 x64 system

AVStoDVD (latest version) works fine on my WinXP system at home. But on my Win7 x64 system it crashes every single time. See attached log. Whatever you need to figure this out I will provide! Thanks.

Code:
<10/1/2013 7:31:12 AM>
START PROCESS
<>

PROJECT SETTINGS

DVD Video Standard: NTSC
DVD Titles number: 1
DVD Size: 4449/4450 MB (100%)
DVD Output Setup: DVD Folder
DVD Label: DVD
DVD Menu: No Menu
Output Folder: C:\Users\user1\Videos
Delete Temp Assets Files: Yes
Delete Temp Working Files: Yes
Edit Command Parameters: No
Post Process Task: Show Progress Status window

PREFERENCES

MultiThread: 1
AVS Video Source Filter: A2DSource
AVS Audio Source Filter: A2DSource
AVS UpSize/DownSize Filter: Lanczos4Resize/Spline16Resize
Frame Adjust Strategy: 1
PAL SpeedUp: 0
Video Resolution: 0
Video BitRate Min: 2500
Video BitRate Level 1: 6500
Video Profile Level 2: 4500
Video BitRate Max: 8500
Keep DVD Compliant Video: 1
AC3 Audio Encoder: 0
Force FFmpeg for Long Audio: 1
DVD Audio Format: 0
DVD Audio BitRate: 448
Keep DVD Compliant Audio: 1
Normalize Audio: 0
Auto Delay Audio: 1
DVD Audio Language (Primary): EN - English
DVD Audio Language (Secondary): EN - English
DVD Subs Language (Primary): EN - English
DVD Subs Language (Secondary): EN - English
DVD Subs Font: Tahoma 18pt (255,255,255)
Chapters Interval: 5
Use Source Chapters: 1
DVD Burning Drive: D: TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H353C D100
DVD Burning Speed: 4x
Auto Erase DVD RW: 1
Unload ActiveMovie library: 0
Adjust ffdshow at runtime: 1
Save General Settings: 0
<>

TITLE 1 SOURCE FILES
Video: C:\Vids\the.town.that.dreaded.sundown.mkv
Info: AVC - 5446 kbps - 1280x544 - DAR 2.353 - 23.976 fps (CFR) - Progressive - 1:29:54 hours - 129327 frames
Audio 1: C:\Vids\the.town.that.dreaded.sundown.mkv
Info: DTS - 1509 kbps - CBR - 2 ch - 48000 Hz - 24 bit - 1:29:54 hours (0 ms delay) - EN
[MediaInfoLib - v0.7.61]
<>

AVISYNTH SCRIPT
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\Lib\A2DSource.avsi")

Video = A2DVideoSource("C:\Vids\the.town.that.dreaded.sundown.mkv", CacheFolder="C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Temp", FrameRate=23.976, VFR=false)
Audio = A2DAudioSource("C:\Vids\the.town.that.dreaded.sundown.mkv", CacheFolder="C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Temp")

Video = Video.ConvertToYV12()
Video = Video.AddBorders(0,88,0,88)
Video = Video.Spline16Resize(720,480)
#Using DGPulldown/HCenc to upsize FPS

AudioDub(Video, Audio)
<>

START VIDEO ENCODING OPERATIONS
Encoding Profile: HCenc VBR 1-pass
Target Video FileSize: 4072.9 MB
Encoding Parameters: -ini "C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_0_the.town.that.dreaded.sundown.mkv.HCenc.ini"
HCenc ini file:
*INFILE C:\Users\mjohnson\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_0_the.town.that.dreaded.sundown_1.avs
*AVSRELOAD
*OUTFILE C:\Users\user1\Videos\DVD_0_the.town.that.dreaded.sundown.m2v
*LOGFILE C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_0_the.town.that.dreaded.sundown.HCenc.log
*MAXBITRATE 9000
*1PASS
*BITRATE 6334
*PROFILE BEST
*ASPECT 16:9
*PROGRESSIVE
*TFF
*PULLDOWN
*BIAS 60
*DC_PREC 10
*MATRIX MPEG
*AQ 1
*LUMGAIN 1
*SMP
*PRIORITY IDLE
*DBPATH  C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Temp
*WAIT 2
<>

<10/1/2013 7:35:18 AM>
Process aborted during Title 1 VIDEO encoding operations.

For Video issues troubleshooting see Help/FAQ/Video section.
<>

<10/1/2013 7:35:18 AM>
Log file created by AVStoDVD Release 2.7.1
<>
EpheMeroN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 22:13   #2334  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@EpheMeroN

I assume you have installed all the required splitter and codecs (ffdshow 32bit). Then have a look at Help/FAQ/General/Q1.5

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 4th October 2013, 22:13   #2335  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Pre-release 2.7.2 Alpha 131004 is available to download. For debug purpose only.

Change log:

- Some bugs fixed
- Added support to MicroDVD format (SUB/TXT) subtitles
- Added automated unzip of Skin icons in case of library load fault during startup
- Improved SRT->SUP subtitles vertical positioning for widescreen aspect ratio
- Improved log activity for single project and batch jobs
- Improved Video DVD compliant detection routine (max bitrate is now checked)
- Changed default subtitles font dimension from 18pt to 16pt

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 5th October 2013, 22:04   #2336  |  Link
manolito

Hi MrC,

it looks like the prerelease mostly fixes some subtitle issues. Since I do not use subtitles at all (I hate them to no end), is there anything you want me to test with this release?

Cheers
manolito
Old 6th October 2013, 21:57   #2337  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Hi manolito,

actually there are no major changes in video/audio encoding or AviSynth scripting. Some subs, errors handling and log improvements. No particular debug, just verify if there are discrepancies between project settings and output. In other words, just use it as usual... Ah, there are no new GUI objects or menu items to be translated into German.

Thanks, as always, for your help and support.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 6th October 2013 at 22:00.
Old 10th October 2013, 00:28   #2338  |  Link
manolito

Alright, did a couple of short test conversions (mostly Youtube clips), no problems so far...

Cheers
manolito
Old 11th October 2013, 16:35   #2339  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Alright, did a couple of short test conversions (mostly Youtube clips), no problems so far...
Thanks for the feedback. I'm updating the Help file, the final 2.4.2 should be out within few days.

In the next release I would add Win7/8 codecs check and selection (ffdshow instead of MS), something like Preferred Filters Tweaker. I wonder if it would be better to leave the user to decide what codecs to use or have AVStoDVD change to ffdshow automatically at runtime in a transparent, but somehow "invasive", way (coming back to original user preferred codecs setup at the end of the project).

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 16th October 2013, 19:34   #2340  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Release 2.7.2 final is out

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 16th October 2013 at 22:19. Reason: typo