Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 23rd September 2011, 16:45   #13061  |  Link
sonate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I have PowerDVD9 installed on my tower and it is my primary blu-ray player program. It came free with my Lite-On blu-ray burner. It plays my burned BD-Rs & BD-REs just fine. It also plays a ripped blu-ray movie off the hard drive once mounted via the very convenient .miniso DVDFab provides.
Same here, power dvd plays them flawlessly. I use Daemon tools to mount the images which I verify in pdvd9 after every sly rip before I try to process them with BD reb.
sonate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:26   #13062  |  Link
omegaman7

Jdobbs, does rebuilder take subtitles in to account when determining output size? I rarely do a DVD-5 output, but in this instance I elected to.
Fast five has more subtitles than a dozen dvds put together. The output ended up being 4491Mb. Only a bit over. Not a big deal really. But it is worth noting. Dvd shrink can take the unneeded subtitles away, without touching the encoded video.
omegaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:33   #13063  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonate View Post
Just trying to tell you that this seems to be the way this version of XP functions. Nothing has changed, one hasn't even been used for the past 6 months. There are also several other cases reporting this quirk with recoding audio, all aften related. Perhaps you could look on your systems environmental variables and see how it routes the stdout for that paticular application That's all I'm asking.

You developed a wonderful tool and I unfortunately have not been able to enjoy all its capabilities. I am dying to see what a BD-5 looks like but unfortunately without compressing the HD audio, that just isn't going to happen.

As far as corrupt source, ripped with anydvdhd and the mounted .iso plays with full functionallity, all audio tracks, all subs, all menu items. Is there any particular setting in the sly software which should be avoided, ie "remove annoying warnings and trailers", disable br live, etc?
Leave all the AnyDVD settings at their installation default.

I think the other cases reported on AFTEN all have a solution (usually a bad source if I remember correctly). I don't know of any open ones... my debug list has none listed.

Playback is NOT a way to check for a bad source. Even severely corrupted sources will playback -- errors are just ignored. Trying to reencode, on the other hand, is a different story. A corrupt source can stop it in it's tracks.

As for environment variables -- I don't see the connection.

I'll look at creating a new hidden switch that does the encode in two steps (one to WAV and the second to AC3). But that just raises the possible issue of files over 4GB.

Again I ask -- what have you changed on your systems since the last time it worked? I would almost guarantee that is the issue. The way BD-RB does the audio encode hasn't changed in well over 2 years. In fact, with the exception of a change in the version of AFTEN it hasn't changed significantly since the first release.

Last edited by jdobbs; 23rd September 2011 at 17:44.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:59   #13064  |  Link
sonate

[QUOTE=
Again I ask -- what have you changed on your systems since the last time it worked? I would almost guarantee that is the issue. The way BD-RB does the audio encode hasn't changed in well over 2 years. In fact, with the exception of a change in the version of AFTEN it hasn't changed significantly since the first release.
As for environment variables -- I don't see the connection.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to think hard, I believe the title was "the prestige" where as a test I recall ending up with an AC3 recode. The failure rate was so high, I basically gave up. I remember trying it successfully after you convinced me there was no need to keep the HD audio. But I need to verify this by looking at back posts to get an idea of the timeframe.

So let me ask you, the dts hd has already been reduced to dts in the logs I posted over the past few days representing a reduction in perhaps 2.5 gb of space for the audio. How much further do I save by going to AC3, and is this conversion capable of the 7 channel sound?

Basically I don't have a real need to compress to bd-5 but I was really interested in seeing what it could do. BD-25's cost in some cases less then the DVD dual layers. All this moaning, I still can tell you I have been 100% satisfied with BD-25 keeping the HD audio if worse came to worse.

About the environmental variables, namely the path , it seems pretty obvious that stdin/out has to function on all the other applications or else none of the cmd.exe based applets( in the general meaning of the term) would be able to be integrated into your program which when performed on my machine is largely successful except for this one.
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:11   #13065  |  Link
RobertM

Quote:
I have PowerDVD9 installed on my tower and it is my primary blu-ray player program. It came free with my Lite-On blu-ray burner. It plays my burned BD-Rs & BD-REs just fine
Well that certainly doesn't agree with my experience, and what I've read in many other forums. I currently have the "free" version of PowerDVD10 on my system (came with my LG burner), and it has NEVER been able to play back a BD-R that I have produced with BDRB. It always gives me an error something like "incompatible disc format". I suppose it could be the media (Verbatim), or the burner itself.

Anyway, I'm obviously wrong in what I previously said about PowerDVD not being able to play BD-R discs. Sorry for the misinformation.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:28   #13066  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
About the environmental variables, namely the path , it seems pretty obvious that stdin/out has to function on all the other applications or else none of the cmd.exe based applets( in the general meaning of the term) would be able to be integrated into your program which when performed on my machine is largely successful except for this one.
Listen. I've been bending over backwards to try and answer your questions, only to have to read non-applicable comments like this. I also have overlooked the fact that you continually post conflicting information (like reporting AC3 as DTS, or saying you're encoding with one group of settings only to see from the log that it is incorrect).

Now you're second-guessing again as you did in previous post making illogical statements. I realize your knowledge of the working of this program and apparently Windows/DOS may be limited. But I keep feeling obliged to answer because others who are reading this thread may not realize that they are illogical.

To answer this one:

1. Environment variables (including the path) are not applicable (as I already said). BD-RB always uses fully qualified paths. That should be obvious since you've been looking at the command line I gave you.
Quote:
...it seems pretty obvious...
2. Obvious? C'mon -- I never blame someone for being a novice, but now you're throwing manure at me using novice logic with the pretense of understanding. If you want to know "Obvious" it is obvious that you don't have a clue what stdin/stdout is... Further, it makes no sense in the context you are using it. Stdin/Stdout is only used (in this context) to feed the output of one program as the input to another. In BD-RB it is only done for audio encode and nowhere else... and that is specifically because Aften doesn accept DTS (and/or other codecs) as an input type. So those formats are converted to PCM using AVISYNTH and NicAudio() with WAVI.EXE and fed to AFTEN. In other words your statement "it seems pretty obvious that stdin/out has to function on all the other applications" is complete nonsense. Stdin/Stdout doesn't even come into play anywhere else.

I don't mean to be harsh -- but I've been spending a lot of time and have been very patient helping you with a problem that is specific only to you. And the response I get is you throwing inapplicable comments and continually inaccurate/incorrect information back at me.

Sorry but I'm giving up on this bug report.

Last edited by jdobbs; 23rd September 2011 at 19:35.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:35   #13067  |  Link
sonate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Well that certainly doesn't agree with my experience, and what I've read in many other forums. I currently have the "free" version of PowerDVD10 on my system (came with my LG burner), and it has NEVER been able to play back a BD-R that I have produced with BDRB. It always gives me an error something like "incompatible disc format". I suppose it could be the media (Verbatim), or the burner itself.

Anyway, I'm obviously wrong in what I previously said about PowerDVD not being able to play BD-R discs. Sorry for the misinformation.
What burning tool are you using? I find imageburn to be better than nero. Easy to burn from an image file. I also use the verify after burn. Read errors do result in unrecognizable discs. Once tried a brand called "optical quantum" which had almost an 80% failure rate. I use Ridata and have yet to produce a failure.
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:56   #13068  |  Link
RobertM

Quote:
What burning tool are you using? I find imageburn to be better than nero. Easy to burn from an image file. I also use the verify after burn. Read errors do result in unrecognizable discs. Once tried a brand called "optical quantum" which had almost an 80% failure rate. I use Ridata and have yet to produce a failure.
I use ImgBurn, with Verbatim BD-25 discs, and I verify after every burn. I've never had a verify error, so 0% failure rate. It's not a matter of the discs being unreadable; all files show up just fine in the WindowsExplorer window, and play fine on my PC with VLC and MPC and in my standalone Sony BD player. But the BD-Rs don't play in WMP, and PowerDVD says "There is a disc with an unsupported format in Drive B:".

Anyway, I don't consider this to be a BDRB bug, so I shouldn't belabour the point anymore in this thread.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:02   #13069  |  Link
sonate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post

I don't mean to be harsh -- but I've been spending a lot of time and have been very patient helping you with a problem that is specific only to you. And the response I get is you throwing inapplicable comments and continually inaccurate/incorrect information back at me.

Sorry but I'm giving up on this bug report.
Your efforts have been herculean only to be outdone by your efforts to make a person feel like a piece of crap. Just think that if you tried a dozen different attempts on your own before you thought of bothering the developer because you knew he was busy. You end up with a dozen log files trying to determine which one was the one associated with workfiles you saved because you thought there was something which might reveal the problem. And I don't know how your program works, and I made a few assumptions Mea culpa, I'm human too. Now I'm a complete idiot.

Thanks, JD
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:21   #13070  |  Link
sonate

[QUOTE=jdobbs;So those formats are converted to PCM using AVISYNTH and NicAudio() with WAVI.EXE and fed to AFTEN. [/QUOTE]

Directshow source doesn't seem to be working either. LCPM multi source , wavi.exe and cmd.exe running for an hour with no progress or error message.

I know...
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:21   #13071  |  Link
sonate

Quote:
I use ImgBurn, with Verbatim BD-25 discs, and I verify after every burn. I've never had a verify error, so 0% failure rate. It's not a matter of the discs being unreadable; all files show up just fine in the WindowsExplorer window, and play fine on my PC with VLC and MPC and in my standalone Sony BD player. But the BD-Rs don't play in WMP, and PowerDVD says "There is a disc with an unsupported format in Drive B:".

Anyway, I don't consider this to be a BDRB bug, so I shouldn't belabour the point anymore in this thread.
Gotcha, wise idea IMO
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:33   #13072  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Just in case you haven't figured it out, I'm a problem child
You have made your point!
Trouble shooting can be frustrating, but it appears there has been a lot of effort to help you.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:55   #13073  |  Link
sonate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
You have made your point!
Trouble shooting can be frustrating, but it appears there has been a lot of effort to help you.
And you would be hard pressed to think I am not appreciative.

Let me ask you, if you know,does XP by default set all CMD.exe permissions to deny?
Old 23rd September 2011, 21:30   #13074  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Directshow source doesn't seem to be working either. LCPM multi source , wavi.exe and cmd.exe running for an hour with no progress or error message.

I know...
It works exactly the same way as NicAudio(). The problem isn't within BD-RB. I'm repeating myself, but your problem appears to be that any attempt to pass data through stdin/stdout between programs is not working. That's an operating system issue. There is really nothing I can do.
Old 23rd September 2011, 21:33   #13075  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
And you would be hard pressed to think I am not appreciative.

Let me ask you, if you know,does XP by default set all CMD.exe permissions to deny?
I do not know. I have not been using XP for quite some time.
There have been reports of anti-virus software causing various conflicts, so you could investigate if that applies to your situation. Beyond that I do not have much else to offer.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 21:35   #13076  |  Link
sonate

Quote:
It works exactly the same way as NicAudio(). The problem isn't within BD-RB. I'm repeating myself, but your problem appears to be that any attempt to pass data through stdin/stdout between programs is not working. That's an operating system issue. There is really nothing I can do.
Yes I understand, the pipe is broken.
Old 23rd September 2011, 22:33   #13077  |  Link
sonate

Quote:
At least we know simple stdin/stdout dos commands still work

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>dir
Volume in drive C is HD Ascent
Volume Serial Number is FC31-2CFB

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

08/01/2011 10:59 AM <DIR> .
08/01/2011 10:59 AM <DIR> ..
07/09/2010 01:35 PM 423 .airappinstall.log
06/19/2008 06:23 PM 412 .airinstall.log
04/27/2011 06:58 AM <DIR> .dvdcss
07/01/2011 06:55 PM 90 default.pls
09/14/2011 11:06 AM <DIR> Desktop
09/29/2009 11:37 AM <DIR> Favorites
08/04/2011 01:24 PM <DIR> My Documents
09/22/2011 04:11 PM 18,874,368 ntuser.dat
08/31/2006 04:57 PM <DIR> Start Menu
07/05/2004 02:02 AM <DIR> WINDOWS
4 File(s) 18,875,293 bytes
8 Dir(s) 59,190,300,672 bytes free

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>dir|sort

4 File(s) 18,875,293 bytes
8 Dir(s) 59,190,300,672 bytes free
Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
Volume in drive C is HD Ascent
Volume Serial Number is FC31-2CFB
04/27/2011 06:58 AM <DIR> .dvdcss
06/19/2008 06:23 PM 412 .airinstall.log
07/01/2011 06:55 PM 90 default.pls
07/05/2004 02:02 AM <DIR> WINDOWS
07/09/2010 01:35 PM 423 .airappinstall.log
08/01/2011 10:59 AM <DIR> .
08/01/2011 10:59 AM <DIR> ..
08/04/2011 01:24 PM <DIR> My Documents
08/31/2006 04:57 PM <DIR> Start Menu
09/14/2011 11:06 AM <DIR> Desktop
09/22/2011 04:11 PM 18,874,368 ntuser.dat
09/29/2009 11:37 AM <DIR> Favorites

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Last edited by sonate; 23rd September 2011 at 22:43.
Old 23rd September 2011, 22:50   #13078  |  Link
Rich86

Quote:

I'm assuming you are trying to play properly formatted & burned BD-R discs that play in a standalone player. All I do is load the disc in my BD drive, click on "select source" in the lower left corner of the Powerdvd9 main menu, and choose the drive letter of the disc title. It loads up the menu and off we go. Did LG maybe provide you a PowerDVD version that does not support blu-ray? That would seem strange if it came packaged with a blu-ray burner.
Rich86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 23:00   #13079  |  Link
RobertM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I'm assuming you are trying to play properly formatted & burned BD-R discs that play in a standalone player.
Right.

Quote:
All I do is load the disc in my BD drive, click on "select source" in the lower left corner of the Powerdvd9 main menu, and choose the drive letter of the disc title.
I do the same thing. The disc title shows up, but when I select it I get the error message.

Quote:
It loads up the menu and off we go.
Hmm.... I wonder if the problem is that I ONLY do "movie-only" backups. Maybe the problem is that there are no menu items.

Quote:
Did LG maybe provide you a PowerDVD version that does not support blu-ray? That would seem strange if it came packaged with a blu-ray burner.
It can certainly play commercial BD discs, just not my BD-R discs.

But now you've got me thinking that PowerDVD might just say that anything without a menu isn't valid. I'll test that theory by making a "full backup" to a BD-RE disc and see if that makes any difference.
Old 23rd September 2011, 23:05   #13080  |  Link
jdobbs

@sonate

Remember this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>c:\accessories\BD_Reb\tools\wavi.exe "D:
\BD REB WORK FOLDER\WORKFILES\AUD_00001_4352.AVS" - | c:\accessories\BD_Reb\tool
s\aften.exe -v 1 -b 640 -readtoeof 1 - "D:\BD REB WORK FOLDER\WORKFILES\00001.tr
ack_4352.AC3"

Well I just realized that this command line uses the wrong output filename. That name is the actually the same as the input file (within the AVS) and is probably overwriting the source and causing the error. So we might be back to square one.

Run the job again (up to the point it fails) and then try this command instead and see if it completes, or (more likely) gives a different error:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>c:\accessories\BD_Reb\tools\wavi.exe "D:
\BD REB WORK FOLDER\WORKFILES\AUD_00001_4352.AVS" - | c:\accessories\BD_Reb\tool
s\aften.exe -v 1 -b 640 -readtoeof 1 - "D:\BD REB WORK FOLDER\WORKFILES\AUD_00001_4352.AC3"