Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 25th December 2020, 07:45   #1  |  Link
Honeyko

Setting a new playback speed without file re-encoding?

I enjoy listening to podcasts and livestreams, many of which are multi-hour. On YouTube, I can set playback speed to x1.25 or x1.5, and save a fair bit of time.

Q. Is there a way to easily do this with an already saved, stream-copied, or re-muxed file (e.g., in the likes of MKVToolNix) *without* re-encoding the whole bloody thing, or making everyone sound like a chipmunk?

I am not looking for a player that will do it; I wish to modify the file itself, so it will always play at the new speed.

TIA.
Honeyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2020, 07:50   #2  |  Link
jlw_4049

I honestly doubt it without encoding the file again, I however could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2020, 08:05   #3  |  Link
Honeyko

How do YouTube, Rumble, and BitChute do it on-the-fly during playback, *with* built-in pitch-correction? My assumption is they're pitch-correcting the audio track in real-time while merely dragging or speeding FPS all other tracks in the playing file, including subtitles.

If there were a capture utility that could snag a file from one of those sites off a dropped URL, with user-selected playback settings applied, that would be one solution, albeit a source-specific one.

Last edited by Honeyko; 25th December 2020 at 08:09.
Honeyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2020, 13:19   #4  |  Link
Selur

Have you tried MPC-HC (make sure to set 'Options->Playback->Output->Audio Renderer' to 'Internal Audio Renderer' before changing 'Play->Playback Rate') ?

Cu Selur
Old 10th January 2021, 21:09   #5  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Selurs Solution works. Many other Players could do this, too. I remember Power DVD having the same feature, mplayer hat it, too...

If you want to do this permanently without re-encoging the video - you could remux it to a new container, give the videostream a new framerate and recode the audio to the new lenght (hybrid, besweet, etc.... lots of tools for this around) and mux the new audio back in... Should be quite fast, no re-encoding needed...

in some containers, you could actually just change the playback speed in the header (at least for audio)..
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote