Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th October 2018, 11:36   #53441  |  Link
declain

I have a strange problem with madVR. If I play avi xvid SD file on the TV that is connected with HDMI, my primary monitor (displayport) goes to standby. For all other files (e.g. MKV H.264), everything is fine. It's definitely madVR because if I change renderer to MPC-HC default, it's ok.

I have nvidia GTX950 with the latest drivers.

Edit: It was a driver bug. New hotfix drivers solved the problem.

Last edited by declain; 28th October 2018 at 16:20. Reason: new information
declain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 14:53   #53442  |  Link
arcspin

Hi,
@madshi
Sometimes I bring up the madVR settings when I'm trying to fine tune the picture.
The settings windows is white with black letters that shine really bright when trying to do settings on a dark scene.

Is there a way to invert that to black with white letters?
That would be so much more easier on the eyes when trying to do tweaks with madVR.
arcspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 14:55   #53443  |  Link
huhn

windows 10 high contrast mode does this.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 17:37   #53444  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Single slot or half-height cards are usually quite a bit worse then full sized cards, because the tiny coolers on them are really inadequate - so either the cards perform badly, or the fans end up being really loud.
Thanks!

If it does "perform badly" would it be more of a noise nuisance or would the actual picture (that madVR produces) look worse?

Does a half-height card require the same amount of power/watts as a full/double-height card or less power/watts?

Last edited by SirSwede; 28th October 2018 at 17:39. Reason: Added the power/wattage question
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 17:52   #53445  |  Link
Warner306

The picture wouldn't look much different. You would may have to use slightly lower values. The noise nuisance when the card is pushed hard may be more of an issue. You can get around this somewhat by not using anything higher than NGU low. The quality should still be very good.

I think all GTX 1050 Tis are fixed to 75 watts max.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 18:58   #53446  |  Link
yok833

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
Do you have "measure each frame's peak luminance" checked in MadVR's HDR section?

It was not activated indeed !!! Many thanks
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 19:35   #53447  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
The picture wouldn't look much different. You would may have to use slightly lower values. The noise nuisance when the card is pushed hard may be more of an issue. You can get around this somewhat by not using anything higher than NGU low. The quality should still be very good.

I think all GTX 1050 Tis are fixed to 75 watts max.
Thanks!

I am looking at the Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mini OC HDMI DP 4GB, instead.

Last edited by SirSwede; 28th October 2018 at 23:01.
Old 28th October 2018, 19:39   #53448  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Generally speaking if a GPU goes over its power budget, it'll underclock itself to reduce the power draw (reducing performance). Not much you can do about it (beyond modifying the GPU BIOS which I wouldn't advise), but keep it in mind.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 20:03   #53449  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by yok833 View Post
It was not activated indeed !!! Many thanks
But if you download build 23 you shouldn't need to anyway.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 20:52   #53450  |  Link
kitame

has anyone seen this?
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...nd-highlights/

apparently Nvidia RTX cards offers a new feature that can be used as a straight-up upscaling function?
however, its only been mentioned taking in-game screenshots with 1080P source under super-resolution mode, so i wonder if it could work with videos.
kitame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 03:02   #53451  |  Link
huhn

there new upscaling needs special implementation.

like many more of these new feature there are most tech demo for now.

nvidia did a really good job in featuring features and getting the hype up even through they can'T be used.

it looks like there upscaler DLSS needs training for the game first before it can be properly used.
Old 29th October 2018, 03:36   #53452  |  Link
ryrynz

It's a possibility that the tensor cores could be used to speed up some operations.. But that will likely be quite some time in the future if madshi even looks at it. I wouldn't expect this before 1.0 which is still some years away based on previous release history. I'd say the current upscalers in MadVR are pretty locked in for the time being.

Last edited by ryrynz; 29th October 2018 at 03:39.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 18:05   #53453  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Maybe your GPU is getting too hot and clock speeds are being throttled? I see no other reason for rendering times to be OK for 5 minutes and then go up.Just a personal opinion, but chroma upscaling doesn't need a high precision scaler. NNEDI? Are you using a really old build?
Im using an old build because all this new updates are almost 4k and HDR oriented. Im playing with FHD TV mate. I have tried new versions but the new NGU is terrible at low, not so bad at medium and impossible at high. So should i use NGU instead of NNEDI with my hd7770?? And ventilation isnt a problem. Its 18 degrees celsius right now in my house.
But maybe some 3D setting enabled on amd control center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
He said he was and obviously is because as we all know it's been removed for some time.

Also yeah, don't bother with NNEDI3 for chroma.
So what should i use for chroma? Jinc? I dont like it. I like NNEDI3 more. Any improvements on NGU??

Last edited by xabregas; 29th October 2018 at 18:07.
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 18:18   #53454  |  Link
huhn

try super XBr on chroma i never understood nnedi3 for chroma.

and i highly doubt there is a huge difference between NGU aa low or med on chroma.
Old 29th October 2018, 21:03   #53455  |  Link
hubi73

Some Youtube audio clips (with still image) have a very low refresh rate of 6fps. It seems that this causing a delay in madVR's OSD response. For example: If I change the volume and hitting the arrow key or scrolling the mouse wheel there will be a delay of over one second before the OSD reacts. This makes it difficult to adjust the volume to a certain value.
I tested this with MPC-BE and Pot-Player.
I tested this with VMR9 too and there were the response times normal.

Clips with low refresh rate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lw7Vy9dVBo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90SPoNnWHj4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKs01thUGUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ohR0xwrf8

In contrary here is an audio clip with normal refresh rate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxvSVpIN7Ys

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by hubi73; 29th October 2018 at 21:17.
hubi73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 21:11   #53456  |  Link
SirSwede

I come from a plasma (Samsung PS42Q92HD) and I am moving to an OLED (Panasonic TX-55FZ800E).

I have been using Game Mode for madVR on the plasma, because it produced the best picture. To me, it is like madVR "likes" it best when the TV does at little as possible. Is it like that for just my eyes, or is it like that for someone/everyone else as well?

Anyway, moving to the OLED: Do I want to be using Game Mode with madVR on the OLED, just as I did with the plasma?

Will the madVR picture (and scalers) more come to it's right in Game Mode, than w.o. it?

Old 29th October 2018, 21:53   #53457  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
try super XBr on chroma i never understood nnedi3 for chroma.

and i highly doubt there is a huge difference between NGU aa low or med on chroma.
Well, it looks better than nnedi3 16 neurons and its only 10ms in both rendering times. Still far away from the PQ of nnedi3 32 neurons.

As for NGU it gives me high rendering times on high (more than 41ms). Medium is about 22ms but its kinda similar to nnedi3 16 in PQ. From what i saw NGU high gives amazing PQ. Shame i cant make it work. I need a new gpu im afraid. But i also need a 4k TV.
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 22:56   #53458  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
my eyes, or is it like that for someone/everyone else as well?

Anyway, moving to the OLED: Do I want to be using Game Mode with madVR on the OLED, just as I did with the plasma?

Will the madVR picture (and scalers) more come to it's right in Game Mode, than w.o. it?

Don't know about Panasonic OLED, but my Panasonic UHD LED can't do 24Hz in Game or Direct mode, it requires some processing...(Panasonic) plasmas are different, 24Hz works judder-free in any mode AFAIK. I guess plasmas in general were different beasts as they could be driven at any refresh.

Last edited by mytbyte; 29th October 2018 at 22:59.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 22:57   #53459  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
I come from a plasma (Samsung PS42Q92HD) and I am moving to an OLED (Panasonic TX-55FZ800E).

I have been using Game Mode for madVR on the plasma, because it produced the best picture. To me, it is like madVR "likes" it best when the TV does at little as possible. Is it like that for just my eyes, or is it like that for someone/everyone else as well?
I think this is true on any display. You need to disable any internal processing that converts to 4:2:2, which is what Game Mode is probably doing. On my LG OLED I don't use Game mode, I use PC mode but it is probably the same effect.
Old 29th October 2018, 23:56   #53460  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
Well, it looks better than nnedi3 16 neurons and its only 10ms in both rendering times. Still far away from the PQ of nnedi3 32 neurons.
The way you describe these makes it sound like there are huge differences between the various settings when there isn't. I've looked at all of these and the differences between NGU AA low and medium and Nnedi 16 and 32 are minor at best. NGU AA is a better chroma upscaler performance to quality wise than NNEDI3 is. I liked it but it was never worth it to have it set beyond 32 neurons. I'll happily upload comparisons showing NGU AA medium doing an overall better job than NNEDI3. This is why it was removed after all and I was a big fan of it up until it was removed.

Last edited by ryrynz; 30th October 2018 at 00:09.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling