Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th November 2022, 03:13   #1  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Inbetweeners, How do they do that ? (camera trickery)

In this short clip(from about 1:30),
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZIubRs9rN0

"Inbetweeners" 1st Movie [there are two Inbetweeners movies of the TV series],
it starts perhaps in a helicopter in the clouds, flys down and along a street, flys around a corner
at rooftop level and ends up going sideways through an open window, down to floor level inside
Jay's bedroom. (The last bit going inside bedroom is where it cuts off).

So, the question is how on earth do they do that, its gotta be a bit of a technical feat, with some clever editing.

The video quality is quite awful. {I have both movies on BD, and all 3 series on DVD, dont think available on BD}.

Anyways, anybody any clues about how this is done, thanks.

EDIT:
And here for your amusement, Neil's dance sequence from the 1st movie, but done by a bunch of fans of the
series, and in (I think) "Inferno's" night club in Clapham [which is I think where the original was filmed
{It's supposed to be located in Malia/Crete/Greece in the movie}].
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPSg_O1pEPk
EDIT: The original Neil's Dance Scene [Warning, colourful language]:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjasy6TD_DE

EDIT: I've just watched the Inbetweeners "Fashion Show", tis an outrageous use of (I hope) prosthetics.
I will not post link, you'll hav'ta find it yourself.
EDIT: OK, here tis, but its a bit naughty:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FulhEKs0oNU

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 9th November 2022 at 06:21.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2022, 05:15   #2  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Drone?
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2022, 05:22   #3  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Damn, of course. did not think of that. Thanks.

EDIT: In the "Neil's Dance" by fans clip, The club is empty, I'm guessin' that it may be a stunt by the Inferno's nightclub bar staff.
Here Inferno's gallery, it apparently has a, "The Inbetween Bar".
https://infernos.co.uk/gallery/

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 9th November 2022 at 06:05.
Old 9th November 2022, 05:29   #4  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Here is more interesting trickery:
The Fourth Dimension (1988)

Bit less trickery, more fun:
The Day Before (1984)
Old 9th November 2022, 13:38   #5  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post
Drone?
He does a bit but don't hold that against him.
Old 9th November 2022, 14:51   #6  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey View Post
He does a bit but don't hold that against him.
Is it very weird for the natives when people like me don't use articles?
Old 9th November 2022, 15:22   #7  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I feel very hurt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVO40-Pj5hM

EDIT:
@ Wonkey_Donkey
Penny Mordaunt, Yay oder Nay:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5DBdeTrgr4

(The Eyes to the left and the Nose to the right. < cryptic >)

EDIT: And Endless Loop <could watch it all day>:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSiplbYDHCU

Last edited by StainlessS; 10th November 2022 at 05:29.
Old 12th November 2022, 02:42   #8  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
A song from 1940, so StainlessS xD

Quote:
EDIT:
@ Wonkey_Donkey
Penny Mordaunt, Yay oder Nay:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5DBdeTrgr4
I had to Google a bit and I realized that vynils had a speed of 45RPM, so there were two versions of the song and the one you posted is the 33RPM one.
The soundtrack is sad and playing it at 33RPM makes it even sadder, but I guess that's how losing two elections in 45 days feels like for Penny eheheheh

I wonder is StainlessS is... "Ready for Rishi", though. XD

Quote:
EDIT: And Endless Loop <could watch it all day>:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSiplbYDHCU
I remember twin peaks, I encoded some episodes of the 2017 series that we had to air.
About the engines in the intro of the original series you posted, being the 90s, I wonder if they were attached to an hard PLC...

Quote:
I have both movies on BD, and all 3 series on DVD, dont think available on BD.
I didn't know you watched the in betweeners! I mean, that's the kind of series people my age used to watch and it would have been awkward if for instance my parents (or even worse my grandparents) watched it! Nowadays the new young generations are probably watching stuff like Sex Education.

P.s for those of you who are thinking "what the heck are they talking about?!" you can think about the Inbetweeners as the British version of American Pie, but as a series on top of the movies.

Ah, by the way, the fact that Simon and Tara (I mean Joe Thomas and Hannah Tointon) are still together in real life is actually really sweet...

Last edited by FranceBB; 12th November 2022 at 02:44.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2022, 03:17   #9  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
"Ready for Rishi"
That's what this country needs, only comprehensible reason from the local brexiters I heard - "enuff of those bloody Asians here" [I've no idea how Asians are related to EU...], now they have a perfect patsy to hang all problems of the nowadays crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
you can think about the Inbetweeners as the British version of American Pie.
Do you think that the old people can't understand the cringe comedies?
American Pie was okish but Porky's was better.
Old 12th November 2022, 05:44   #10  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
A song from 1940, so StainlessS xD
Arh yes, my adolescent years,.

Quote:
I wonder if they were attached to an hard PLC...
Probably just cams and gears and levers and such, probably been like that for many years. (rather than digital Programmable Logic Controller)
EDIT: Perhaps by "hard PLC" you meant cams and gears and levers and such, ie mechanical PLC.

Quote:
Young-un's eh!, think cos you been around a while, it messes with your sense of humour, big shocks coming for them.

Quote:
American Pie was okish but Porky's was better.
Yep.

Last edited by StainlessS; 12th November 2022 at 06:12.
Old 12th November 2022, 12:31   #11  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
That's what this country needs
Yeah, he is. Hopefully he'll get a grip on economy, the only question will be "at what cost". I guess we're gonna have to wait for the budget to be out, though (and this time it's gonna be a real one, unlike the one Kwasi put out).

Quote:
only comprehensible reason from the local brexiters I heard - "enuff of those bloody Asians here"
As European, I was obviously a remainer, but I didn't have a say on that 'cause back then I wasn't a Naturalized British Citizen yet... (yes, I had to take the "famous" exam in 2017 and I passed it first time).

Fun fact: I got all the historical questions right, but I failed the general knowledge one (which was my only mistake). It was a question about what info are supposed to be on a dog collar, which ones are mandatory and why.

Quote:
My bad xD

Quote:
Young-un's eh!, think cos you been around a while, it messes with your sense of humour, big shocks coming for them.
:P

Quote:
Probably just cams and gears and levers and such, probably been like that for many years.
Yeah, could be.

Quote:
Perhaps by "hard PLC" you meant cams and gears and levers and such, ie mechanical PLC.
Well definitely mechanical; I don't think soft PLC have been around for that long.
Anyway I got interested in them 'cause I'm studying them for my next exam at university as part of my master degree in computer science engineering: Distributed Control System.
It's about PID, PLC, SCADA Systems, WinCC etc and programming them with structured text and instruction lists.
I'm sure that if the good old Groucho was still around here on Doom9 he would have appreciated it as he knows those things as his pockets.
I wonder if he's alright... It's been a while now...
Old 17th January 2023, 00:36   #12  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Well definitely mechanical; I don't think soft PLC have been around for that long.
A few years back (about maybe 2000-ish) ...
There was a BT [British Telecom] mobile phone that had some kind of, "short the pins to give new user automatic £10.00 free credit on new phone" type thing.
By soldering the pins, it could be hacked to have permanent £10.00 credit, very useful.

Anyways, some time later, A telephone operative noticed that a premium rate number was being called very regularly for a short period of time,
and from the same 10 or so mobile numbers.
BT took a percentage (about 33% or so) of the premium rate, with the rest going towards the guy with the premium rate service.
Anyways, police got involved and raided the address where the service was registered [or traced the address of mobile phones], and found a weird setup in an
[EDIT: nearly empty] bedsit flat [maybe in Guildford, Surrey], with cams on a shaft and a washing machine motor (I think).
Cams operated push buttons which made call to the fixed premium rate number, for a minute or so then hung up.
Was doing this 24/7 with maybe 8 or 10 mobiles (with permanent £10.00 credit, nicely provided by BT), and the procedes were 66%/33% split
as described, with BT getting a good "slice of the action". ( )
Anyways, for a few days/weeks they lay in wait for the guy to show up and banged him up in the 'clink'.
Very ingenious mechanical PLC plan
EDIT: I think he may have been an Asian/Indian estate agent, not sure.

EDIT: I think there was also some kind of pulley/belt system to slow down rotation of the motor, and the shaft might actually have been a wooden broom shank,
it was very 'home made' with blocks of wood and nails and glue, not very hi-tech but it worked.

EDIT: On another occasion in the USA [probably near 9/11 days], a telephone operative got in touch with FBI/NSA or similar, and told them there was unusual and suspicious internet activity
coming from some user. S.W.A.T teams descended on the house just about dawn and did not knock politely. Turned out that the guy in question was blind and had images/videos
suppressed by using some browser that was text only (maybe also read aloud the text). Phone operative was a wee bit jumpy and caused all hell to break loose for the unlucky blind guy.
No PLC (or indeed any logic at all) involved with that one.

Last edited by StainlessS; 17th January 2023 at 06:40.
Old 17th January 2023, 09:16   #13  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Wow, very interesting story. The first one, at least.
I'm here standing in a queue waiting for my cappuccino, so it made me spend this time nicely.
About the second story, it doesn't surprise me that internet activity can be different from normal if you use some filters. Nowadays it's probably different if you use some add on that block stuff, although some of them don't block things at all, they just don't display them, so I'm not really sure. Anyway, over the years ISP have become more and more involved with filtering to the point that right now according to which provider you pick you have stuff blocked.
When I'm in Italy, my provider is Fastweb and for instance they block PPTP, L2TP and OpenConnect traffic, but they allow OpenVPN one.
Most people won't care as they don't use stuff like a VPN, which is also why some ISP block VPN traffic: they assume that the only ones using them are doing dodgy stuff, but it's not always the case.
I think in the future we'll have to find the right balance between ISP blocking everything and not blocking anything.

Last edited by FranceBB; 17th January 2023 at 09:20.
Old 17th January 2023, 09:43   #14  |  Link
ChaosKing

The Making Of ‘The Inbetweeners Movie’ Opening Shot

It's helicopter -> cgi zoom -> hovercam

Use login from https://bugmenot.com/view/vimeo.com

EDIT: Oh nice it can be viewed here without a login.
EDIT2: Use pip mode for a bigger screen

Last edited by ChaosKing; 17th January 2023 at 09:46.
ChaosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2023, 19:00   #15  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thanks CK, very interesting/fascinating, maybe I have to go take another look at the BD, perhaps its also on there.