Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th December 2008, 11:29   #1  |  Link
tobinaka

Ut Video Codec Suite - a new lossless video codec for Windows!

The following was edited last on 16th November 2009 at 23:16.
To find the latest info, please check newer posts or the author's blog.

----

Ut Video Codec Suite is a new free-software lossless video codec for Windows which Takeshi UMEZAWA has developed. It's implemented as a VCM codec (also called "VfW codec"). It can currently encode YUV422 and RGB sources.

You can encode YUV420 but it's just-released and needs to be tested more. YUV420 might NOT have the compatibility with another version. But I can say its decompression (decoding) speed (especially on maltithreading) is very good, better even than Huffyuv maltithreaded version.

Then you should use Ut Video YUV420 to encode with x264. For example,

-make AviSynth scripts to imput and edit a video file (with ConvertToYV12),
-save the file at VirtualDubMod with Ut Video Codec YUV420(ULY0) on the setting of your numbers of CPU cores and "predict left" for decode preference ("predict median" is for compression-ratio preference),
-make x264 imput the video by "AviSource" of a new AviSynth scripts.

Known Problem (Reported Bugs. Please advise us if you know how to fix them!)

-EDIUS crashes or hangs up when the videos are put on the timelines or the video on the timeline goes to be played.
-ULY0(YUV420) doesn't support interlaced videos. So, in converting RGB into YUV420, it always converts mistaking the video as it's progressive.
-NOTE: UtVideo supports interlaced images from ver 6.0.0.

Attention

Takeshi, the developer, has only INTEL Conroe-based processer, then he can't test on AMD (especially Athlon and Turion), Core i7 and so on. I would seem that Ut Video Codec's performance depends on the CPU architectures. For example, known so far, Ut Video Codecs Suite mainly use SSE2, then Ut Video can't exercise the ability with such CPUs which aren't good at SSE2 as Athlon64 and P2/P3.

Not only the test results, but also the optimizations for the other CPUs are needed. If you can, please post the patches. Of course, the testing reports with the CPU name are welcome!

Its Implementation Goal (from readme file)

-Realtime high definition capture with Core 2 Duo class CPU
-Better compression ratio than Huffyuv
-Near compression ratio as Lagarith, if possible

Achievement (from readme file)

-Enough speed for realtime high definition capture because of multithreading and assembly language.
-Usually better compression ratio than Huffyuv (Predict median) for progressive sources.
-May worse compression ratio than Huffyuv for interlace sources whose height is greater than 288 pixels.
-Usually worse compression ratio than Lagarith, but rarely better.

Minimum Requirement (from readme file)

-CPU: i686-compatible CPU with SSE2 support (e.g. Pentium 4 or later)

Download

-readme (English)
-x86 installer (.msi)
-x64 installer (.msi)
-source code (zipped)

I'm not its developer but I can contact with him easily. Give me your comments, ideas, patches and bug reports. Thanks!

Last edited by foxyshadis; 11th April 2016 at 20:02. Reason: removed reference to runtime, no longer required
tobinaka is offline   Reply With Quote