Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th May 2020, 19:12   #441  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHruska View Post
I prefer the 640x480 crop to the 704, less for the CGI and more because it tends to make faces look a little stretched.
Well, that's because the faces ARE stretched, and so is everything else. These images are meant to be displayed on a device with non-square pixels. You need to resize to 640x480 (or some other resolution with a 4:3 aspect ratio) to get everything back to the right shape.
Old 25th May 2020, 19:27   #442  |  Link
hello_hello

Pardon my stupidness, but what's the difference between CG and HQ?

I'm only looking at them on a 1808p display, but I ran the upscaled versions at full size (I only see 1080p worth of picture) then upscaled the DVD encode by roughly the same amount with MPC-HC. The CG versions are an improvement for the CGI. It looks better than I expected, because I was half expecting the upscaling to do things to it I'd hate. I wouldn't mind seeing a live action comparison. The HQ versions are over-sharpened for my taste.

1080p screesnshots.zip
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2020, 19:33   #443  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Hello_Hello,

I prefer the 640x480 crop to the 704, less for the CGI and more because it tends to make faces look a little stretched. But they're both absolutely gorgeous.

Also, the lighter QTGMC approach still cleans up the aliasing on the lower hull very nicely.
Technically you're better off cropping the DVD to 704x480 (which is an exact 4:3 display aspect ratio) and upscaling directly to 4:3 dimensions, as that way you might squeeze a tiny bit more detail out of it than you get resizing to 640x480 first. Can you specify the upscaled width and height individually?
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2020, 19:52   #444  |  Link
JoelHruska

Hello_Hello,

Those are the names of the new models they use. I've done a fair bit of comparison between them and I've run full encodes of both on episodes.

HQ typically retains more noise than CG if used on scenes with people in them. CG has stronger default noise filtering and deblocking applied. Gaia-CG is typically criticized for being overly aggressive on noise reduction outside of CG scenes, and for applying a bit too much smoothing. Gaia-HQ is typically criticized for retaining too much noise.

I generally prefer Gaia-CG over HQ for even the character scenes, but the models are still under active training and there's going to be a big update dropping in the next few weeks. Neither is perfect.

Last edited by JoelHruska; 25th May 2020 at 21:53.
JoelHruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2020, 20:26   #445  |  Link
zapp7

I tried Gaia-CG on one of the first season episodes and it produced artifacts, kind of like lines or streaks. Is there something I'm missing?
zapp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2020, 21:52   #446  |  Link
JoelHruska

Quote:
I tried Gaia-CG on one of the first season episodes and it produced artifacts, kind of like lines or streaks. Is there something I'm missing?
Which episode and where? I'll see if I can duplicate.
Old 25th May 2020, 21:54   #447  |  Link
zapp7

Quote:
Which episode and where? I'll see if I can duplicate.
S01E04 - A Man Alone. You can see them in the big CGI ball in the first scene of the episode.
Old 25th May 2020, 22:22   #448  |  Link
JoelHruska

Quote:
S01E04 - A Man Alone. You can see them in the big CGI ball in the first scene of the episode.
I'll rip it and take a look.
Old 25th May 2020, 22:38   #449  |  Link
SaurusX

Gaia-CG is ugly as hell. Does way to much scrubbing away of detail.
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2020, 23:05   #450  |  Link
JoelHruska

Quote:
Gaia-CG is ugly as hell. Does way to much scrubbing away of detail.
The impact of Gaia-CG on CG scenes in DS9 is minimal compared to the uplift. It's more noticeable on non-CG content where, yes, there is some visible smoothing out of detail. I ran the denoise / deblock 100% render option on Gaia-CG multiple times on the same episode, just to see what would happen. In the "Sacrifice of Angels" recap of the previous episode, Sisko starts the clip wearing a quilted uniform top that has vertical lines on it -- seams, stitched into the fabric. You can see them clearly.

After a 2x runthrough Gaia-CG, they are noticeably less visible when he changes the angle of his stance. At three passes, they disappear altogether when he's standing at certain angles. Hopefully all of this will be tuneable one day.
Old 26th May 2020, 15:41   #451  |  Link
zapp7

So my previous comments about noise filters had one caveat: I was using Artemis HQ in Topaz, which I have discovered already applies its own denoising. So in actuality, I was denoising twice and that's probably why the image looked too smooth for my tastes.

I've produced some sample clips using Gaia-HQ and Gaia-CG in an effort to see how the noise filters look with those. The filters I tested are MCDegrainSharp, TemporalDegrain2 and QTGMC. I just used the default settings for all of those, so I'm open to suggestions for tweaking. My QTGMC call is QTGMC(InputType=1). These filters are applied before upscaling with Topaz. (I wonder, would there be any theoretical advantage to applying them after upscaling?)

I'm trying to find a filter that I could apply to everything, since this project is big enough without having to edit noise filters scene-by-scene.

I only ran MCDegrainSharp with Gaia-HQ because it's obvious that the result isn't good - it seems to leave a pattern on the character scenes that doesn't look good. I'm also not too fond of the QTGMC result - perhaps someone can suggest better settings as I'm not very familiar with them. I kind of like the TemporalDegrain2 result, but I fear my eye for detail is lacking as the file size for this one is about half what it is without denoising.

TFM and TDecimate were applied before applying the noise filters. Input and output from Topaz was in .png format. These clips were created with ffmpeg libx265, using the slow preset and RF of 20.

The clips can be found here.
Old 26th May 2020, 16:20   #452  |  Link
Forteen88
Herr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapp7 View Post
...The filters I tested are MCDegrainSharp, TemporalDegrain2 and QTGMC. I just used the default settings for all of those, so I'm open to suggestions for tweaking.
When I use TemporalDegrain2, I prefer the setting: TemporalDegrain2(grainLevel=false)
Because that setting don't denoise as much (I'd like to know how to make TemporalDegrain2 denoise even less sometimes, but I don't know what setting to use for that).

Last edited by Forteen88; 26th May 2020 at 16:24.
Forteen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 16:22   #453  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

A suggestion for x265: set the parameter no-sao. SAO will smooth the image even more, sucking out details on its way.

Last edited by Boulder; 27th May 2020 at 05:21.
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 17:58   #454  |  Link
zapp7

Thanks, I'll implement those suggestions and generate some new clips tonight.

Another question, after the denoising I use gradfun3() for debanding since I saw it used elsewhere on this forum. Is this something that should always be used after denoising?
Old 26th May 2020, 19:01   #455  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Another question, after the denoising I use gradfun3() for debanding since I saw it used elsewhere on this forum. Is this something that should always be used after denoising?
I use debanding (neo_f3kdb) myself in all my encodes as the last item. Using the preset "low", I haven't noticed any ill effects aside from a slight increase in needed bitrate but it should keep those ugly artifacts away.
Old 27th May 2020, 00:45   #456  |  Link
zapp7

I did a quality comparison and I'm pretty sure that more detail is retained by applying TemporalDegrain2 after upscaling. This makes sense since more detail is available for the input to Topaz.

I made a new clip with TemporalDegrain2(grainLevel=false) applied after upscale and encoded with no-sao. The result is in "S06E06_GaiaHQ_post_TempDeg2.grainLevel0_nosao.mkv" in this folder.

I think this result is pretty good. If I zoom in and compare specific frames with the GaiaHQ_NoDenoising clip, I can't see any significant difference in detail but the noise seems significantly reduced. Could use a second opinion to verify my sanity...
Old 27th May 2020, 02:30   #457  |  Link
JoelHruska

Quote:
I did a quality comparison and I'm pretty sure that more detail is retained by applying TemporalDegrain2 after upscaling. This makes sense since more detail is available for the input to Topaz.

I made a new clip with TemporalDegrain2(grainLevel=false) applied after upscale and encoded with no-sao. The result is in "S06E06_GaiaHQ_post_TempDeg2.grainLevel0_nosao.mkv" in this folder.

I think this result is pretty good. If I zoom in and compare specific frames with the GaiaHQ_NoDenoising clip, I can't see any significant difference in detail but the noise seems significantly reduced. Could use a second opinion to verify my sanity...
It looks to me like you conserve more detail with the -no sao and applying degrain after upscale.

https://i.imgur.com/YXqP44c.png

What does Gaia-CG look like with these settings?
Old 27th May 2020, 02:48   #458  |  Link
zapp7

Quote:
It looks to me like you conserve more detail with the -no sao and applying degrain after upscale.

https://i.imgur.com/YXqP44c.png

What does Gaia-CG look like with these settings?
I put the GaiaCG version in the same folder. I believe GaiaCG already has denoising so I'm also making a GaiaCG_NoDenoising_nosao that should be there shortly.
Old 27th May 2020, 03:27   #459  |  Link
JoelHruska

Artemis_HQ and LQ models are both still incapable of upscaling DS9 properly, even when fed the samples H_H decoded. They fail in the same way -- mouths and faces cause meltdowns.
Old 27th May 2020, 04:50   #460  |  Link
zapp7

Quote:
Artemis_HQ and LQ models are both still incapable of upscaling DS9 properly, even when fed the samples H_H decoded. They fail in the same way -- mouths and faces cause meltdowns.
I agree. What did you think of the MQ model in the previous versions? I read some people liked that one but I don't have it on hand.