Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 8th March 2018, 05:09   #27121  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
First I want to thank youo for helping me, when I tried to load the disc with IMGburn it says "Getting media status" and try to read but just stays at that point.

You mean that is for protection problem? I mean, the disc is perfect?

And, if you dont mean of course, could you tell me how to do it with Makemkv?
Please take this discussion elsewhere. It isn’t appropriate for this thread. Perhaps the Doom9 “Decrypting” forum.

Last edited by jdobbs; 8th March 2018 at 05:11.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 16:00   #27122  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Please take this discussion elsewhere. It isn’t appropriate for this thread. Perhaps the Doom9 “Decrypting” forum.
Hi Jdobbs and thank you and please excuse me I had no idea
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 21:37   #27123  |  Link
Blurayhd

Jdobbs this questions come to my mind since and as we know you´re about to release a new Bd rebuilder with option like import from an UHD and encode it to a Full HD 1920x1080. few hours ago I get the chance to watch (on my monitor, not 4k) how is like and UHD movie, and the example was The Mummy 1999, and, I think the UHD was a little more detailed? maybe is just me I still dont get clear so far if the UHD is really much better than Full hd?, I mean, on my tv 55 at home we watch movies that encode with Bd rebuilder or some MKV and I´m surprise for the quality. But I wish to know, if I download any movie in UHD, and encode it to full hd with Bd rebuilder , the quality will be much better than if I encode it from the same movie but BD50?

I really hope you can understand

Dear Jdobbs, thank you for your pacience
Old 8th March 2018, 22:24   #27124  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
But I wish to know, if I download any movie in UHD, and encode it to full hd with Bd rebuilder , the quality will be much better than if I encode it from the same movie but BD50?
And i wish to know if you can read the forum rules. Especially number 6. Downloading a movie is illegal and nobody can/should/will help you answer that question. The only one that can will be you.

Besides, you're comparing DISC CAPACITY (BD25/BD50) with screen resolution (480p/720p/1080p...). Those 2 arent even remotely connected. Just a BD25 can be full HD (1080p), just the same as a BD50 can.

If you want to get an answer on your question, it's not going to come from me.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 23:09   #27125  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
And i wish to know if you can read the forum rules. Especially number 6. Downloading a movie is illegal and nobody can/should/will help you answer that question. The only one that can will be you.

Besides, you're comparing DISC CAPACITY (BD25/BD50) with screen resolution (480p/720p/1080p...). Those 2 arent even remotely connected. Just a BD25 can be full HD (1080p), just the same as a BD50 can.

If you want to get an answer on your question, it's not going to come from me.
All right Ch3vr0n, I do undestand and thank you
Old 9th March 2018, 00:02   #27126  |  Link
drmih

It would be slightly futile to take a UHD disk and convert it to HD - just buy a disk mastered at HD, as I'm guessing more and more will use a 4K scan. However, the benefit of the new feature is to be able to backup UHD disks to either bd-25 or bd-50. So far if you want to keep a copy you would have to use a HDD (and then it's not easy to play unless you have a powerful pc to feed your tv), or try and use bd-xl disks, which can be problematic and are expensive to the point where you could nearly buy a second copy of the disk. If you can compress the video, or lose enough of the audio to fit a bd-50, then you have a safe copy for a reasonable price.
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 00:44   #27127  |  Link
jdobbs

Also... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So whether 4K is really noticably better in typical usage, or if the increased resolution is worth the considerable additional effort, is a question each person could only answer for him or herself.
Old 9th March 2018, 00:56   #27128  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Also... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So whether 4K is really noticably better in typical usage, or if the increased resolution is worth the considerable additional effort, is a question each person could only answer for him or herself.
My experience is that the increased resolution requires a rather large screen to make use of the extra detail
However, the HDR is definitely worth it
Note
You can always resize to 1080p and keep the HDR
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 10:29   #27129  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
It seems to me that video is following the audio route: Blowing up the bandwidth and processing complexity for little real benefit. Saturation of a mature technology?
High resolutions makes sense though in photography when one can zoom-in for details and make new pictures from image sections, for example.

Perhaps just an intermediate step towards real, goggles-free 3D viewing?

Last edited by Sharc; 9th March 2018 at 10:34.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 12:42   #27130  |  Link
kufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
It seems to me that video is following the audio route: Blowing up the bandwidth and processing complexity for little real benefit. Saturation of a mature technology?
High resolutions makes sense though in photography when one can zoom-in for details and make new pictures from image sections, for example.

Perhaps just an intermediate step towards real, goggles-free 3D viewing?
An intermediate step to 8K? I think the details will be phantastic , but we hve to wait. In europe there will be no 8K untill the end of this decade. Let´s see what 4K will bring when it has established itself.
Fake 4K nobody needs. A lot of 4K films are not as good as the inscription. Look here:https://echtes4k.net/echte-4k-filme/
We´ll have to wait until jdobbs has the audio / video synchronization under control.
I hope this will be soon

Last edited by kufo; 10th March 2018 at 00:16.
kufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2018, 00:32   #27131  |  Link
Sharc

Undersize

The source is a 3D frame packed .mkv from MakeMKV. MediaInfo reports the duration of the ripped video correctly with 2:43 hours.
After importing the file with BD-RB, MediaInfo reports the duration of the imported file as 5:26, i.e. double.
When encoding the imported file in 2-pass mode for BD25 target with the option "encode 3D as 2D" the bitrate gets halved and the disc is half full only.
The BD-RB log reports the length of the imported video as 470'267 frames, which is the sum of the left + right eye frames.
I think this is a bug.

Edit:
Oh sorry, I just remembered that I reported a similar issue here which you replied to.

Last edited by Sharc; 10th March 2018 at 15:38.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2018, 03:34   #27132  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Hello JD,

I'm returning to my Stargate SG-1 DVD to Blu-ray conversion. Then I noticed this again. It also happens with the current version but since there isn't an update, I have to use this version to keep the 4:3 Widescreen in tact--otherwise the newest version still smooshes the video into a funky 4:3. Anyway, any idea why this is happening?

The destination has GB's full of space, and it not located on my System drive. Fully accessible and I write to it often, so.. Any possibility of 2 bugs being fixed? Smiling. Click okay, and BD-RB exits. Run BD-RB again, import and all is fine until...(possible) next time.
Attached Images

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 10th March 2018 at 03:37.
AmigaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2018, 14:23   #27133  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
Hello JD,

I'm returning to my Stargate SG-1 DVD to Blu-ray conversion. Then I noticed this again. It also happens with the current version but since there isn't an update, I have to use this version to keep the 4:3 Widescreen in tact--otherwise the newest version still smooshes the video into a funky 4:3. Anyway, any idea why this is happening?

The destination has GB's full of space, and it not located on my System drive. Fully accessible and I write to it often, so.. Any possibility of 2 bugs being fixed? Smiling. Click okay, and BD-RB exits. Run BD-RB again, import and all is fine until...(possible) next time.
Sounds like an issue with your anti-virus software. But it could be that your current environment doesn't have access (permission) to a file.

With that said -- I generally don't respond to bug reports in older versions, regardless of the reason. That release is over a year and a half out-of-date. I have no idea what "smooshes the video into a funky 4:3" means -- have you reported that before?

Last edited by jdobbs; 10th March 2018 at 14:28.
Old 10th March 2018, 18:51   #27134  |  Link
AmigaFuture

"Smooshed" DVD Widescreen with current BD-RB.

Indeed, reported before.

Normal picture is before processing with BD-RB (Current version).

When importing and converting VFR to CFR it becomes smooshed. Once I use "IMPORT_VFR_DISABLE=1" it isn't...of course.

Once imported without conversion and using Alternate MKV it becomes "smooshed". This is what I call smooshing and I've heard others say it for years. Haha. This is why I'm still using the older version for this process....I don't want to, but you seemed pretty busy for a while.

Hmmm...I'll check if Security software now...
Attached Images

Old 10th March 2018, 19:56   #27135  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Disabled Avast's Self-Protect and then disabled it with MSConfig; totally. After several imports (more than 8) in a row the Run-time error 70 shows again. Avast isn't running at all (Task Manager). But I'm going to check other software now. I would agree about permissions if it would happen much more frequently. I know luck does not exit, so I won't blame a silly notion of bad luck. Ha! I would also point to permissions if all other projects did not function well, but it's only with importing...so far. More checking..
Old 10th March 2018, 20:59   #27136  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
I have no idea what "smooshes the video into a funky 4:3" means -- have you reported that before?
I would be happy to translate for AF for you JD. I speak Jive...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2018, 22:02   #27137  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Lathe, 'sup, man, whatchu mean, you jive turkey!

Muhaha!
Old 10th March 2018, 23:59   #27138  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Looks like I found the error problem. It wasn't security related (Avast!).. It seems like Directory Opus was getting in the way somehow. Avast is re-enabled but I don't have Directory Opus running or it's helper that's running at boot time. So far, 0 problems with importing with current BD-RB version and older... I'll keep importing for a bit more but after ~15 time it usually would cause an error, but now the count is at 30 imports and 0 error prompts. Cheering.

Hmm...shall have to check what's happening with DOpus...I won't be without it. Great file manager over...Explorer.
Old 11th March 2018, 00:30   #27139  |  Link
jdobbs

Just a note. At least while viewing on my iPad, the first two of your attachments (smoosh examples) look the same. We’re they supposed to? Which mean what?

Last edited by jdobbs; 11th March 2018 at 00:33.
Old 11th March 2018, 00:53   #27140  |  Link
AmigaFuture

No... Not sure why. But the 3rd is the one really in question, that's after the Alternate MKV. Hmm..

Update: Welllll....that was premature. Like Lathe... It's not Directory Opus... More checking to do.

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 11th March 2018 at 03:17.
AmigaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote