Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th September 2021, 16:29   #62001  |  Link
SamuriHL

As mentioned, it really depends on what you're looking to do. I agree that 1000 nit graded content on an OLED does not need a lot of help. 4000 and higher nit content would benefit on some of the OLEDs, but is that enough to spend the time and money to create an HTPC configured to handle it? All depends on your goal.

For many of us, the HDR tone mapping on OLED is just gravy. What I mean is that it's not our main use case for using madvr on these screens. At least for me, anyway. I have lots of 720 and 1080 SDR content that I upscale to 2160 and that can get a bit resource intensive depending on what you're trying to achieve. The end result, however, is remarkable.

So for us that have an HTPC (or did in my case LOL), having one solution that plays all of our content is worthwhile. Hence taking the time to configure madvr for dynamic tone mapping matters to us because it's there anyway. But if your ONLY goal for using madvr is to watch UHD content, it could definitely be argued that madvr is overkill for the vast majority of content on an OLED.
Old 27th September 2021, 21:26   #62002  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
is that enough to spend the time and money to create an HTPC configured to handle it? All depends on your goal.
For many of us, the HDR tone mapping on OLED is just gravy. What I mean is that it's not our main use case for using madvr on these screens. At least for me, anyway. I have lots of 720 and 1080 SDR content that I upscale to 2160 and that can get a bit resource intensive depending on what you're trying to achieve.
So for us that have an HTPC (or did in my case LOL), having one solution that plays all of our content is worthwhile. Hence taking the time to configure madvr for dynamic tone mapping matters to us because it's there anyway. But if your ONLY goal for using madvr is to watch UHD content, it could definitely be argued that madvr is overkill for the vast majority of content on an OLED.
I've been using an HTPC since 2007. I've got a 3070 in it, so I most definitely don't need to build it and I use it for all kind of content already.
Still not a lot of info around on how to implement madVR's DTM for OLEDs.
Old 27th September 2021, 21:35   #62003  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Nothing on a PC supports playing DoVi.
Thought so too, but I saw some mentions of it on Reddit, and sure enough, it seems that some devices are certified for Dolby Vision with Windows. After downloading the Dolby Vision extensions for Windows, I actually see Netflix's tags with "Dolby Vision" on my Spectre X360 15-inch with OLED panel. Further, Netflix enables HDR (or DoVi but no way to actually tell) automatically, without me having to enable HDR on Windows. But this only works on the laptop screen, not on the GTX 1050Ti Max Q powered HDMI port, so it might be an Intel thing (i7-9750H).

But no way to confirm 100% if it's actually Dolby Vision.
Old 27th September 2021, 22:20   #62004  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Still not a lot of info around on how to implement madVR's DTM for OLEDs.
Not exactly sure what you're looking for, DTM settings to use madVR for high nits OLEDs?
Old 28th September 2021, 00:40   #62005  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
Thought so too, but I saw some mentions of it on Reddit, and sure enough, it seems that some devices are certified for Dolby Vision with Windows. After downloading the Dolby Vision extensions for Windows, I actually see Netflix's tags with "Dolby Vision" on my Spectre X360 15-inch with OLED panel. Further, Netflix enables HDR (or DoVi but no way to actually tell) automatically, without me having to enable HDR on Windows. But this only works on the laptop screen, not on the GTX 1050Ti Max Q powered HDMI port, so it might be an Intel thing (i7-9750H).

But no way to confirm 100% if it's actually Dolby Vision.
Sorry, yes, I knew about this and yes it's DoVi. What I meant was no way to play non-DRM'd up the yang content outside of an official Windows Store application. I think Disney+ may work, too but I never got to try it before my HTPC died.

Sadly it helps in no way for anything outside of that ecosystem.
Old 28th September 2021, 12:59   #62006  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietvoid View Post
Not exactly sure what you're looking for, DTM settings to use madVR for high nits OLEDs?
More or less, yes. I own a 77C1 and I suppose that it might be worth a try with higher than 1,000 nits mastered material.

I also see Envy has introduced Non Linear Stretching+ as new functionality. Still hoping to see a paid for madVR for HTPC sooner rather than later.
Old 28th September 2021, 13:58   #62007  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
More or less, yes. I own a 77C1 and I suppose that it might be worth a try with higher than 1,000 nits mastered material.
Since you have a C1, you should be able to upload a custom tonemap curve without roll-off, and get it to start clipping at 700 nits.
Then madVR has to be set to 700 nits peak brightness.
That way the TV won't tonemap anything (in theory). Not sure if anyone's ever tried this out.

For the madVR beta builds (assuming 140+), this is a decent starting point https://postimg.cc/SJqgML2t.

You should figure out your preference with regards to "dynamic target nits", lower = brighter APL, lower contrast. higher = dimmer APL, higher contrast.

If you want stability, you could change the TM curve to mars and use a value around 10-15.
Otherwise that's what you get for beta builds, alternatively there's the option of going back to older versions (around 113 I think?).

Last edited by quietvoid; 28th September 2021 at 14:01.
quietvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 14:12   #62008  |  Link
chros

What do you think, will be there a new beta before the notification message will appear this time?
Old 28th September 2021, 14:29   #62009  |  Link
jkauff

The madVR discussion on AVS Forum is focused on projectors. I've also seen some recommendations for OLED TVs. Has anyone here seen a guide or suggested settings for an LCD 4K TV? I'm using the 113 beta, but I could join the expiring beta club if necessary. madVR looks better than straight HDR, but not as good as DoVi discs on my Panasonic player.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 14:44   #62010  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
What do you think, will be there a new beta before the notification message will appear this time?
Must be getting close to the date.. not that I use madVR enough to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
The madVR discussion on AVS Forum is focused on projectors. I've also seen some recommendations for OLED TVs. Has anyone here seen a guide or suggested settings for an LCD 4K TV? I'm using the 113 beta, but I could join the expiring beta club if necessary. madVR looks better than straight HDR, but not as good as DoVi discs on my Panasonic player.
Beta builds with custom curves improved the APL/highlight detail ratio a lot, but that's only really useful for content over your TV's native peak brightness.
Depending on your TV's brightness, it might not be worth it.

Last edited by quietvoid; 28th September 2021 at 14:49.
quietvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 22:18   #62011  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietvoid View Post
Beta builds with custom curves improved the APL/highlight detail ratio a lot, but that's only really useful for content over your TV's native peak brightness.
Depending on your TV's brightness, it might not be worth it.
What if your LCD TV is ~1500 peak nits?
glc650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 22:24   #62012  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
What if your LCD TV is ~1500 peak nits?
I don't know how they do with 4000 nits+ content.
The gain from using madVR is likely only for that media.
Old 30th September 2021, 00:01   #62013  |  Link
SamuriHL

That's like twice what we get on OLED so you have a lot of headroom for native TV tone mapping. No idea how well their internal algorithm works but it's hard to imagine they'd screw it up TOO badly give the amount of nits they have to play with.
Old 1st October 2021, 10:39   #62014  |  Link
Charky

Guys, I need help with custom timings...

I recently upgraded my HTPC, from a GTX 1070 to a 3070TI (mostly for gaming reasons).

Here's the current setup : latest Windows 10 build, RTX 3070TI, latest drivers, dual boot, one for the TV (LG OLED C8), mostly for gaming, one for the projector (Sony HW40ES) mostly for watching movies. HTPC is hooked up to a Denon AVR, which outputs to the TV or the projector (I switch HDMI cables depending on the need).

Custom timings had been tricky to setup on the old HTPC with the projector (not the TV) but in the end I could do it using madvr itself and old drivers (385.28 IIRC). I can't do that anymore since my 3070TI requires more recent drivers. And with these recent drivers madvr can't create its own custom resolution using the nvidia API ("rejected for unknown reasons", you know the drill...).

So I followed the advice I read on this forum and I used madvr for measurements only (with a 30 minutes run of a 23p movie), and CRU to inject the custom timings calculated by madvr into the EDID.

It worked like a charm with the LG C8. Smooth playback. No dropped/repeated frames.

However, it doesn't work with the projector. Well, actually, it does. The custom resolution is active and the "measured timings" by madvr match the modified EDID. However, madvr promised me no frame drops/repeats with these timings, yet I ALWAYS get repeated frames every 13 minutes or so using ctrl+J. And these frame repeats actually happen if I let the movie run. These 13 minutes seem to be consistent no matter what "same pixel clock" or "optimized pixel clock" I pick and I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with madvr's own calculations...

Any ideas?

EDIT : wow, I've been out of touch a long time. I read stuff about forcing vsync in NCP. Is it necessary now? Why? Would that help?

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."

Last edited by Charky; 1st October 2021 at 14:20.
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2021, 19:33   #62015  |  Link
ryrynz

Two questions. Does madvr actually repeat the frame? (is it evident) and secondly why not give Smooth Motion a shot and save the hassle? And no you don't need to force vsync.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2021, 20:33   #62016  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Another option is to use WASAPI audio rendering. Usually drop/repeat estimates in the hours.

QB
Old 1st October 2021, 21:28   #62017  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Two questions. Does madvr actually repeat the frame? (is it evident)
It does.

Quote:
and secondly why not give Smooth Motion a shot and save the hassle?
Already tried, and I *really* don't like how motion looks like. It feels choppy to my eyes

Quote:
And no you don't need to force vsync.
Thx !

Quote:
Another option is to use WASAPI audio rendering. Usually drop/repeat estimates in the hours.
Never heard of that. I generally use audio passthrough/bitstream to the AVR. Could you elaborate? I found this post by SirMaster but I'm not really sure what to make of it (https://www.avsforum.com/threads/gui.../post-59981160)

QB

Old 1st October 2021, 21:31   #62018  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charky View Post

Never heard of that. I generally use audio passthrough/bitstream to the AVR.
I bitstream as well. Zero problems here. Apparently it works a little better with MadVR, give it a shot.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2021, 22:04   #62019  |  Link
Charky

OK, miracles do exist. I seem to have succeeded by using NCP to create my custom resolution...

Old 3rd October 2021, 02:11   #62020  |  Link
ashlar42

I'm getting crazy trying to understand this...

Nvidia driver 471.11. Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1. Latest beta for madVR (the one madshi released yesterday).

I have 10 bit resolutions, all working correctly. madVR is set with native display bitdepth at "10 bit (or higher)". LAV Video using D3D11. Use Direct3D 11 for presentation under madVR's general settings. And yet videos are played as "d3d11 fullscreen windowed (8 bit)".

Any idea why not 10 bit? madVR clearly shows that the video mode selected is 10 bit.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling