Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 11th March 2018, 05:33   #27141  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
No... Not sure why. But the 3rd is the one really in question, that's after the Alternate MKV. Hmm..

Update: Welllll....that was premature. Like Lathe... It's not Directory Opus... More checking to do.
Are you importing from DVD or from an MKV/AVI/MP4? I assume it's the latter?
Old 11th March 2018, 05:41   #27142  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Using VideoReDo to extract the VOB stuff so it's easier to keep the DVD Text Subtitles and extract from MPG after with CCExtractor. So, convert an episode to MPG from VOB. Then have BD-RB import the MPG. Then add the SRT to the MKV made by BD-RB. THEN...have BD-RB import the MKVs for a season all at once (multiple MKVs).

Update: It's not Directory Opus as the error showed even without any of DOpus running. Still checking.

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 11th March 2018 at 05:57.
AmigaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 06:11   #27143  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:

Update: Welllll....that was premature. Like Lathe... It's not Directory Opus... More checking to do.
Uh, I think the word you want is 'Immature'...

Premature... well, you must be thinking of gonca...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 06:16   #27144  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Word is as intended.
Old 11th March 2018, 08:09   #27145  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Uh, I think the word you want is 'Immature'...

Premature... well, you must be thinking of gonca...

Quote:
Using VideoReDo to extract the VOB stuff so it's easier to keep the DVD Text Subtitles and extract from MPG after with CCExtractor. So, convert an episode to MPG from VOB. Then have BD-RB import the MPG. Then add the SRT to the MKV made by BD-RB. THEN...have BD-RB import the MKVs for a season all at once (multiple MKVs).
Neither immature nor premature. That's usually called preprocessed (crap)

Last edited by Sharc; 11th March 2018 at 16:58.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 17:24   #27146  |  Link
AmigaFuture

@Sharc

For Lathe, it was a joke relying on much earlier stuff. I didn't want to get very deep into it, haha, so I used 1 word. As for VideoReDo -- your double entendre. It's not a Blu-ray & hasn't been rerendered. VideoReDo does quick rerenders on joined parts where commercials have been removed. In this case, not any commercials but I didn't want to edit with DVDRemakePro which I bought long ago and edit the episodes that way, it's a much more lengthy process that way. Besides, using VideoReDo allows for much quicker edits and keeping Closed Captions where as importing with BD-RB direct from DVD doesn't (only Vobsub). VideoReDo doesn't do full rerendering by default, does it's best to keep things original.

Update: Keeping with checking the simple solutions first, I'm checking with the newest portable pack of MKVMerge and MKVExtract. So far, with DOpus running as well as Avast! all is going well. Also keeping a watch in the TEMPIMPORT as well as Task Manager. So far at 50 imports of MPGs and some TSs. As well as to when TEMPIMPORT is deleted.

The permission error hasn't been displayed since I've been checking the newer MKV exe's...so far.

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 11th March 2018 at 22:21. Reason: Adding update.
Old 11th March 2018, 21:49   #27147  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
For Lathe, it was a statement of fact relying on much earlier stuff
Be nice to Lathe
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 21:56   #27148  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Be nice to Lathe
Uh oh... now I'm getting nervous...
Old 11th March 2018, 22:21   #27149  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Update: The picture is "smooshed" on the sides by all encoders except 1 and 4; DirectshowSource and FIRM. However, FIRM makes it smooshed and very long. Looks really funny! IVTC is being used all around. So, I'll do some more encodes and it looks like I'll stick with this version and DirectShow for now.

A nice plus, is I forgot that you make BD-RB add .SRT if found outside the container of same name. So I'll change a step which will be sweet. I'm glad they're not just burned into video.

Update: Well, well.... The error just showed again. During the import creation of MKV...at the end.

[14:31:12] Importing: STARGATE_SG-1_DVD_SEASONS
- [14:31:22] Importing video file: (1 of 9)
- Preparing MPG for processing...

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 11th March 2018 at 22:38.
Old 17th March 2018, 19:51   #27150  |  Link
kufo

Hello jdobbs! Do not think, I would not be patient .... I just wanted to ask if there is something new in the 4K project. The last information was that the video and audio were out of sync. Are you on the track of the mistake?
When I read in other forums, I see that everyone is struggling with similar problems.
Either there is no menu, or the program freezes. No good news. I firmly believe that you can do it!
kufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2018, 20:11   #27151  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufo View Post
Hello jdobbs! Do not think, I would not be patient .... I just wanted to ask if there is something new in the 4K project. The last information was that the video and audio were out of sync. Are you on the track of the mistake?
When I read in other forums, I see that everyone is struggling with similar problems.
Either there is no menu, or the program freezes. No good news. I firmly believe that you can do it!
Yeah, you better kiss up to the Boss if you know what's good for you... His hearing may be shot because of all the tours in 'Nam (or was it WWII...?) but his reach is formidable, he knows people...

(Oh... I just realized that the people he knows are us... )
Old 17th March 2018, 21:57   #27152  |  Link
kufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Yeah, you better kiss up to the Boss if you know what's good for you... His hearing may be shot because of all the tours in 'Nam (or was it WWII...?) but his reach is formidable, he knows people...

(Oh... I just realized that the people he knows are us... )
You're probably a true connoisseur I'm very impressed. Or do you want to saw something on the chair of the boss ...
Old 17th March 2018, 22:12   #27153  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
you're probably a true connoisseur i'm very impressed. or do you want to saw something on the chair of the boss ...

Old 17th March 2018, 23:14   #27154  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
The first instance of that issue was fixed. But then I found another sync problem. That one was fixed (but only kinda'). I've found that I can't get TSMUXER to properly mux an X265 stream that has closed GOPs. When it does, it is way out of sync. So I used open GOPs... unfortunately, though, something happens that causes the video to start/stop at about halfway through the movie when I use that stream. If you mux just the video it plays back fine -- but for some reason it doesn't work properly when I keep the audio too. Interestingly, the original stream muxes and plays fine with or without audio when muxed by TSMUXER. So it has something to do with the new stream created by X265... it could be a setting, but I've been going through virtually every possible iteration of settings with X265 and haven't found a magic bullet yet.

Honestly I've been close to tearing my hair out a few times... I guess I need to find another HEVC encoder just to see if it is TSMUXER, or X265, or the settings that is/are at fault. But since the orginal stream seems to work fine, I suspect X265 or its settings to be the issue (or at least it's interaction with TSMUXER).

Last edited by jdobbs; 17th March 2018 at 23:18.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2018, 23:31   #27155  |  Link
kufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
The first instance of that issue was fixed. But then I found another sync problem. That one was fixed (but only kinda'). I've found that I can't get TSMUXER to properly mux an X265 stream that has closed GOPs. When it does, it is way out of sync. So I used open GOPs... unfortunately, though, something happens that causes the video to start/stop at about halfway through the movie when I use that stream. If you mux just the video it plays back fine -- but for some reason it doesn't work properly when I keep the audio too. Interestingly, the original stream muxes and plays fine with or without audio when muxed by TSMUXER. So it has something to do with the new stream created by X265... it could be a setting, but I've been going through virtually every possible iteration of settings with X265 and haven't found a magic bullet yet.

Honestly I've been close to tearing my hair out a few times... I guess I need to find another HEVC encoder just to see if it is TSMUXER, or X265, or the settings that is/are at fault. But since the orginal stream seems to work fine, I suspect X265 or its settings to be the issue (or at least it's interaction with TSMUXER).
Hello jdobbs! Thank you for your prompt reply. I had already thought of X265 because I still had the X264 error in the back of my mind. You may remember it. I had X264 from an old BD Rebuilder version inserted and the error was gone. Maybe an older version of X265 is better compatible with TSMUXER?
It would be worth a try, I think.
Old 18th March 2018, 14:48   #27156  |  Link
thecrowler

BT.2020 10-bit to BT.709 8-bit

Hi jdobbs, first of all, thanks for BD Rebuilder.
I've read that you're considering a version of BD Rebuilder that can handle 4K UHD Blu-Rays.
Hope not to go OT with the following question.
Since in BD Rebuilder Beta v0.50.25 it's possible to import individual files (for example, ".mkv") and then create a bd-structure (and vice versa), I can imagine that, in the next version, it will also be possible to import mkv files with h265 video stream, and to convert the video stream to x264.
This is already possible usin' other softwares, of course, but I noticed a problem with the color space management (h265 "BT.2020" 10-bit vs x264 "BT.709" 8-bit).
In particular, when encoding to x264 8-bit, colors are completely different from the source colors (h265), they look "washed out".
This happens even if the hardware is natively made to manage h265 BT.2020, 10-bit (Monitor 4k and GPU of recent generation).
Who does not own a 4k hardware/monitor, generally, adopt some kind of software solutions to correct the display color problem.
But, when encoding, those wrong colors become the native colors of the new file, and that's the problem.
Have you found any way to correctly convert the BT.2020 10-bit color spaces (Blu-Ray UHD) into BT.709 8-bit (Blu-Ray video compliant standard)?
Kind regards.
thecrowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 15:27   #27157  |  Link
kufo

Has anyone ever noticed if there is a difference in 4K processing when reading from a mounted ISO? More specifically, are there any differences between reading a disc and a mounted file in terms of image and sound synchronization? Probably the question can only be answered by jdobbs.
Old 18th March 2018, 15:43   #27158  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrowler View Post
Hi jdobbs, first of all, thanks for BD Rebuilder.
I've read that you're considering a version of BD Rebuilder that can handle 4K UHD Blu-Rays.
Hope not to go OT with the following question.
Since in BD Rebuilder Beta v0.50.25 it's possible to import individual files (for example, ".mkv") and then create a bd-structure (and vice versa), I can imagine that, in the next version, it will also be possible to import mkv files with h265 video stream, and to convert the video stream to x264.
This is already possible usin' other softwares, of course, but I noticed a problem with the color space management (h265 "BT.2020" 10-bit vs x264 "BT.709" 8-bit).
In particular, when encoding to x264 8-bit, colors are completely different from the source colors (h265), they look "washed out".
This happens even if the hardware is natively made to manage h265 BT.2020, 10-bit (Monitor 4k and GPU of recent generation).
Who does not own a 4k hardware/monitor, generally, adopt some kind of software solutions to correct the display color problem.
But, when encoding, those wrong colors become the native colors of the new file, and that's the problem.
Have you found any way to correctly convert the BT.2020 10-bit color spaces (Blu-Ray UHD) into BT.709 8-bit (Blu-Ray video compliant standard)?
Kind regards.
HEVC encodes stay 10 bit even for BT.709. Below is a table from BD-ROM_Part3_V3.1_WhitePaper_160729 that can be downloaded online. I haven't given much thought to the conversion to AVC -- as it would be stepping backwards for no apparent reason (unless you wanted to downgrade to 1280p or 480/576 for some reason or are trying to convert for a non-UHD player).
Attached Images

Last edited by jdobbs; 18th March 2018 at 15:47.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 16:05   #27159  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Problem is HDR. Non-UHD Blu-Ray players need SDR so you need to tonemap. Methods are discussed in other parts of the forum, it's not a trivial topic:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1827927
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=174415
https://github.com/ifb/vapoursynth-tonemap

(That said, not all UHD Blu-Rays have to be HDR.)
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 17:58   #27160  |  Link
Sharc

.... and more discussions are ongoing here:
http://rationalqm.us/board/viewtopic...t=617&start=60
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote